Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

vyelkin posted:

Help them by teaching them how to search for and find help on their own instead of expecting someone else to hold their hand when they don't know something, that's a skill my undergrad students evidently never learned because I still have to walk them through basic things like "how do I insert a footnote in Microsoft Word" that you could easily learn with two seconds on Google.

Especially because things change. When Microsoft decides in its next version of Word to hide the footnote commands within several sub-menus, they're going to have to figure it out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Model canadians

quote:

Barbara Reddick of Guysborough, N.S., and her nephew, Tyrone MacInnis, posed for the cameras with a giant cheque in Margaree Forks, N.S., after winning the Chase the Ace fundraiser benefitting two local fire departments.

Reddick then pointed at MacInnis and said: "See you in court."

"It was my ticket," she told a group of people gathered for the ceremony. "I bought the ticket and now he's trying to lie and say I said split. I said split with the 50/50, not with no Chase the Ace."

"I'm taking him to court. I'm getting a lawyer tomorrow. Now you can print that."

In order to play, people bought tickets as they would in a 50-50 draw. If their ticket was drawn, they got a percentage of the sales. If they drew the lucky ace of spades, they would win the jackpot.

By Wednesday night's draw, only two cards were left.

Although both names were on the winning ticket, Reddick denied that the two had an agreement.

Her nephew replied: "Yes, we did."

"He's lying," Reddick said.

"I put his name on the ticket for good luck because he's like a son to me — he was," she said. "He was lucky, but not for half a million dollars."

The contact number on the ticket was for MacInnis, who lives in Glace Bay, N.S.

Reddick said she had no intention of splitting the winnings with her nephew.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Chase the Ace is a scourge that has taken over the maritimes.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
LMAO. They've just ousted the chair of Metrolinx.

Burn this motherfucker to the ground, Dougie. Burn it right the gently caress down.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

LMAO. They've just ousted the chair of Metrolinx.

Burn this motherfucker to the ground, Dougie. Burn it right the gently caress down.

Pinch me, I'm dreaming

quote:

THRONE SPEECH HIGHLIGHTS

What’s In

Beer and wine in corner stores
Reduced gas prices
Lower hydro bills
Tax cuts
Commission of Inquiry on fiscal practices
Line-by-line audit of government books
More long-term care beds
“World-class” transit
Resources for police fighting guns and gangs

What’s Out

Cap and trade
Any carbon pricing plan
Discovery Math
Sex-ed curriculum
“Onerous restrictions” on cops

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Militarized cops to fight the rampant gang violence in Ontario eh? Also known as "harass natives, blacks and Muslims for existing."

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I hope they do a photo op where Doug Ford is using a magnifying glass to do a line by line audit of finances

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

:supaburn: :supaburn: THE ANTHEM :supaburn: :supaburn:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Canadians now divides us as individuals.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

We must protect the sacred heritage of our national anthem that has united us since uhhh 1980. That's at least 2 generations!

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Still think the wording is awful

True patriot love in all of us command.

what the hell is that the best you can come up with?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Reince Penis posted:

We must protect the sacred heritage of our national anthem that has united us since uhhh 1980. That's at least 2 generations!

One of the things nationalism does when it invents traditions is it pretends they're unchanging things inherited from time immemorial. Even if that time was in living memory.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

One of the things nationalism does when it invents traditions is it pretends they're unchanging things inherited from time immemorial. Even if that time was in living memory.

Reported to the uncanadian practices national hotline.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Who is bankrolling Ontario Proud, gently caress.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Chillyrabbit posted:

All of us?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Drunk Canuck posted:

Who is bankrolling Ontario Proud, gently caress.

I think there's some good reporting to be done there. Money and expertise definitely comes north from the US conservatives to influence out politics. US conservatives seem to be in bed with Russian intelligence. Russian intelligence successfully weaponized memes to affect the 2016 US election. Ontario Proud effectively weaponized memes to affect the 2018 Ontario election.

That's all circumstantial but hopefully some reporter is working on this somewhere. I can't be the only one who sees these links and parallels.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They've been reported on multiple times, it's run by a former SunTV contributor. Not a lot on who's bankrolling them, but there's no reason to suspect it's anyone other than PCPO and OPC or arms length backers.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ontario-proud-the-right-wing-facebook-giant-in-ontarios-election-eyes-federal-election-involvement

http://www.canadalandshow.com/ontario-proud-frequently-threatens-online-critics/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/how-a-lone-wolf-operative-is-shaping-ontarios-political-discourse/article37596971/

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah but we're talking about who's bankrolling them so those links aren't super relevant.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Chillyrabbit posted:

Better than the god fearing saber rattling bullshit of the Quebecois lyrics.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Arcsquad12 posted:

Better than the god fearing saber rattling bullshit of the Quebecois lyrics.

How dare you disrespect the original lyrics :bahgawd:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maple Leaf Forever (and the Fleur de Lys as a distant fifth after the thistle shamrock and rose.)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

You'd think they wouldn't mind removing the "native land" bit.

"Our home and fatherland" has a nice ring to it.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maple Leaf Forever (and the Fleur de Lys as a distant fifth after the thistle shamrock and rose.)

<insert crying Montreal flag emoji>

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Just my old man (26 y/o) cane rattling at those dam kids.

Don't really have a stake in the lyrics though just feels weird saying in all of us command.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Has there even been talk of removing God and Native Land from the anthem? This Conservative outrage machine that builds mountains over every loving issue, even non-existent ones is getting loving tiring

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Chillyrabbit posted:

Just my old man (26 y/o) cane rattling at those dam kids.

Don't really have a stake in the lyrics though just feels weird saying in all of us command.

The french version is way better anyways

O Canada!
Land of our ancestors
Glorious deeds circle your brow
For your arm knows how to wield the sword
Your arm knows how to carry the cross;
Your history is an epic
Of brilliant deeds
And your valour steeped in faith
Will protect our homes and our rights,
Will protect our homes and our rights.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"My people, some and daughters of Helghan Canada. This much I vow: the history of these days shall be written in blood. By crushing the industries of our provinces, by selling the weapons to enemies to turn against us, we are fighting for our very existence. But if there are those who would deny us tax cuts, refuse us our right to discard the carbon tax, then we will unleash such terrible vengeance that generations yet unborn will cry out in anguish!"

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lindsay shepherd is very good at pretending to be left wing

https://twitter.com/mbueckert/status/1017798424589053952?s=21

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYaAu01Q2Y

quote:

Yeah, they sent the taxman
I lost my job, and
You got hooked on oxycodone
They shut the lights off
They took the car, and
I bought a sawed-off shotgun

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

If he tanks the stock and buys the other half Libs sold off, basically that cash injection from the sale was free?? Like Hydro One's stock value isn't an asset to Ontario if they're not planning on selling (again).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Canadians now divides us as individuals.

:canada:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ill Peripheral posted:

If he tanks the stock and buys the other half Libs sold off, basically that cash injection from the sale was free?? Like Hydro One's stock value isn't an asset to Ontario if they're not planning on selling (again).

Yeah but it's the Conservatives so it's far more likely that he tanks the stock and then sells Ontario's remaining 50% at a huge discount.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Yeah but it's the Conservatives so it's far more likely that he tanks the stock and then sells Ontario's remaining 50% at a huge discount.

Not just any Conservatives either. These are Canada's Trump-clone Conservatives. So not just malicious but eternally incompetent.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Furnaceface posted:

Not just any Conservatives either. These are Canada's Trump-clone Conservatives. So not just malicious but eternally incompetent.

Oooh hope that means we get 8 years of ford nation

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Postess with the Mostest posted:

No term limits for premiers! May his reign be eternal

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Postess with the Mostest posted:

No it means 4 years before he jumps up to take over the CPC and reunite us with the USA and UK in the dumbest timeline.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Ill Peripheral posted:

The perfect progressive troll government plan: fish around for investors to sell public assets off to, then pass laws that cap rates and levy taxes so they're unprofitable, then buy them back and reinvest the difference in more public assets to use as bait.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

quote:

THRONE SPEECH HIGHLIGHTS 

What’s In 

Beer and wine in corner stores
Reduced gas prices 
Lower hydro bills 
Tax cuts 
Commission of Inquiry on fiscal practices 
Line-by-line audit of government books 
More long-term care beds 
“World-class” transit 
Resources for police fighting guns and gangs 

What’s Out 

Cap and trade 
Any carbon pricing plan 
Discovery Math 
Sex-ed curriculum 
“Onerous restrictions” on cops

And they say the left has the ideology of free stuff.

Regarding beer in corner shops, what about the money the province got from auctioning liquor licenses to grocery stores? Guess we're just giving that cash back, too.

THC posted:

Lindsay shepherd is very good at pretending to be left wing

https://twitter.com/mbueckert/status/1017798424589053952?s=21

Lol at Shepard suing WLU for defamation and damage to her career. Does anyone believe she'd be authoring op eds in the Citizen if this whole business hadn't gone down?

Though maybe that's :thejoke:.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

She is suing for loss of livelihood but she never had a livelihood until she joined the right wing victim circuit sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Fuuuuuuck the national anthem and especially gently caress it before sports events. It’s vestigal war propaganda and the people who get upset about it the most are the same people who already need to work some poo poo out with their therapists. Sing it all you want at military events or even national government sponsored events but otherwise just cut it out and if you need to play some song for unity play “50 Mission Cap” because more Canadians know more than a verse of that anyway.