Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

theshim posted:

hey I've posted it a grand total of twice, and furthermore, tressa good :colbert:

also dang, cyrus cleaning house on that poll

well it's on everyone spamming it then

I'm thinking Therion, Prim, and H'annit to start. Not sure who my fourth will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Tressa keeps finding 420 fantasy bucks. I'm scared the merchant girl is trying to become a drug dealer.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

well it's on everyone spamming it then

I'm thinking Therion, Prim, and H'annit to start. Not sure who my fourth will be.

it's actually me who's been posting it constantly

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mordiceius posted:

I'll pick up my copy later today. I think that my starting crew will be:

Tressa (natch), Cyrus, Primrose, H'aanit, the no vowel party.

I wouldn’t like to buy a vowel.
I’m always looking for a bargain!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

In terms of structure, what's the best approach? I was planning on just sticking with 4 characters at first, but I'm at 3 now, and am still pretty underleveled for anyone's chapter 2. Does the game expect you to begin by recruiting everyone immediately?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Your Computer posted:

it's actually me who's been posting it constantly
I have greatly enjoyed your various tressartworks, keep at it friend

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Always looking for a bargain~

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

In terms of structure, what's the best approach? I was planning on just sticking with 4 characters at first, but I'm at 3 now, and am still pretty underleveled for anyone's chapter 2. Does the game expect you to begin by recruiting everyone immediately?

I've been switching out one or two of my dudes as I hunt down all the jobs. Under-leveled folks have been catching up faster than I expected, so as long as you have a couple appropriate level folks it should be okay, maybe? This might change later, of course, my highest person is only 22 and I still haven't done any chapter 2 content yet. I could see this definitely becoming a grind later though.

Good equipment on a lowbie makes a big difference, too.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hakkesshu posted:

My plan is to recruit the first 4, then when I hit 5, cycle in 5 for the #2 spot, 6 for #3, 7 for #4 and then start shuffling once I have everyone. In the demo, getting the newest person to level 6 before their boss each time seemed to go pretty well.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Note, of course, that you totally can go ahead and do areas and chapters you're not ""supposed"" to be doing yet. Bravely Second also gave recommended levels for its areas and you were free to turn off experience whenever you wanted and not give a hoot.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Primrose has a mystery dance ability that can, among other things, DOUBLE the JP earned in battle. I'm not sure how good the chance is but when boosted it activates one dance per boost point. It's fun to play with but also costs 25 sp.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Turpitude posted:

Primrose has a mystery dance ability that can, among other things, DOUBLE the JP earned in battle. I'm not sure how good the chance is but when boosted it activates one dance per boost point. It's fun to play with but also costs 25 sp.

I did that dance ability during a chapter 1 boss fight and got 5x EXP. Everyone shot up 2-3 levels after the fight.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Toad King posted:

I did that dance ability during a chapter 1 boss fight and got 5x EXP. Everyone shot up 2-3 levels after the fight.

Nice! I think it might be a solid strategy to have her spam it if you have a big fight like that well in hand. It can also drain all her SP but not before it uses all its boost charges. You can always just feed her a plum if she loses her SP, and Alf has a concoct that gives boost points.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxmCCsMoD0

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hakkesshu posted:

Grab 4 and go grab subclasses, or grab 8, or grab 1 and grind like crazy baybeeee

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
what have I done I'm sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFDlCbcPPFE

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

This is perfection.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So I used Primrose's bewildering grace ability and got the x100 JP effect, I'd just got my party to four members and scored 5700 jp in one fight, that was pretty nice.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

What the gently caress I regret my life choices of choosing take that last cause I didn't know what it did :negative:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Turpitude posted:

Nice! I think it might be a solid strategy to have her spam it if you have a big fight like that well in hand. It can also drain all her SP but not before it uses all its boost charges. You can always just feed her a plum if she loses her SP, and Alf has a concoct that gives boost points.

So about this tactic, I just had it backfire hilariously on me when I brought my party of 4 to fight Cyrus' chapter 1 boss.

I used a MAX boosted Primrose dance and the first effect it caused was for Alfyn to be instantly killed, the second had it cause us all to be enshrouded in mist and unable to use abilities for several turns, the third dance caused us to "drop all our items" so I had no items for the entire fight, and the final ability hit the boss with a lightning bolt for less than 200 damage.

I powered through and killed the boss with the help of a friendly Alchemist that Primrose had allured. I kept using her dance thru the whole fight and at least got the x2 exp effect.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So I used Primrose's bewildering grace ability and got the x100 JP effect, I'd just got my party to four members and scored 5700 jp in one fight, that was pretty nice.

You bastard!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

.... Okay maybe I don't regret it as much now :stonk:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

someone awful. posted:

.... Okay maybe I don't regret it as much now :stonk:

It's net beneficial but save often because boosting it greatly increases the party wipe odds.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Wait, does one of Primrose's dances produce a completely random effect? Because that's amazing.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

UPS says they delivered this glorious game to my house hours ago... but they did not. Not even, like, half of the game or anything!

And contacting their support guys is a friggin' trial, too.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Parasol Prophet posted:

Wait, does one of Primrose's dances produce a completely random effect? Because that's amazing.

Yep, double xp, x100 jp, lightning from heaven, party takes all but 1 hp of damage, ground explodes under party, party regains 1-5 bp, primrose heals a little, primrose loses all sp, party can't use abilities, party defenses down and lord knows what else.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yep, double xp, x100 jp, lightning from heaven, party takes all but 1 hp of damage, ground explodes under party, party regains 1-5 bp, primrose heals a little, primrose loses all sp, party can't use abilities, party defenses down and lord knows what else.

It's a dance of many things.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Well, I guess I know who my fourth party member is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

John Lee posted:

UPS says they delivered this glorious game to my house hours ago... but they did not. Not even, like, half of the game or anything!

And contacting their support guys is a friggin' trial, too.

They've delivered it to 7 people you must track down and join with to complete the game.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Saint Freak posted:

They've delivered it to 7 people you must track down and join with to complete the game.

poo poo my name begins with N, uhhh... NONAPATH TRAVELER? Nine people? I have to get on this.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Always looking for a bargain

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Two hours in, and I've redone Therion's intro and acquired myself an Alfyn. Man, there is definitely some scaling that happens as you gain party members. Therion's first boss was real easy now that I know the systems a bit, but I very nearly took a Game Over on Alfyn's. (minor spoilers) Alfyn was dead at the end, and then Therion got grappled so the boss took him from ~450 HP to ~150 before I got control back. I bought Alfyn's status cure ability right before the fight, but even with it, I took a ton of damage from poison (80hp per turn!), and once Alfyn got grappled and poisoned I had to abandon him because it would just take too many turns to get any use out of him. I even used a couple of the Ice battle items that hit all enemies, because the boss and his minions had a bunch of armor points, too. Therion was level 8 and Alfyn was level 5, and I thought I'd had an easy time with Therion's boss solo at level 5, but man. I might want to do some grinding before I try to get my next new buddy, especially because it looks like all the other Chapter 1s have gone up to Recommended Level 7.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Nice.

Got the game earlier, just played a little bit this evening. Decided to start with Tressa because of this thread. :v: I'd done Olberic in the original demo, and Therion in the recent demo.

Game. Is. Good.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I don't like this game.

That is solely on me and my paralysis though. Ooh, I like Cyrus, but I still want the thief. Tressa is cool and I like being able to steal poo poo tons of money from enemies. But I hear H'annit is good...ahhhhhhhhhh.

Im really glad it locks my starter into the party, because holy poo poo I couldn't handle having to swap all four.

As an aside, olberic's path action ends up working well with his story. He is the legendary soldier in a bunch of competent adventurers, and as a result of me shouting fight me at every housewife in the realm he has about three levels on anyone and hits for nearly twice the normal damage of the party.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Once you unlock jobs it will either help your decision paralysis a lot because of the flexibility/being able to cover a lot of stuff with any party composition, or make you hate everything even more because of same :v:

I'm sticking with prim/olberic/cyrus/tressa for now, though I have no idea what job to give cyrus and have changed it a few times...

Caros
May 14, 2008

someone awful. posted:

Once you unlock jobs it will either help your decision paralysis a lot because of the flexibility/being able to cover a lot of stuff with any party composition, or make you hate everything even more because of same :v:

I'm sticking with prim/olberic/cyrus/tressa for now, though I have no idea what job to give cyrus and have changed it a few times...

My problem with the jobs is that I don't want to give Olberic one because all his alt costumes are dumb. :(

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
UPS hosed up the delivery and now I won't get to play this until probably next week

I am extremely loving salty (though this is but one of many reasons right now) :argh:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The water being fairly realistic in contrast with everything else is super weird but in a cool way.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Olberic makes a majestic cleric and you can't convince me otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I stopped at best buy on the way home from work and have the game now :toot: