Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah he's got two stages. The first one gets you the notch and is midgame difficultly. The second is the hardest boss in the game. But they're both part of the same quest and you gotta fight the first to get to the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The charm notch and Grimm fight is not something you can miss as long as you progress the quest. The same is not true for NKG but it should be blindingly obvious what skips that fight.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Arrhythmia posted:

I do not know what the last few words in that sentence are even supposed to mean, but all of the DLC is hidden, some parts more than others, throughout the game. After you beat the final boss tho you just respawn at the last save point and can turn around so there's no reason you can't just volte face back to the DLC after the main game though.

Sorry, phone posting autocorrect craziness. Just wondered if it was like “ you have beaten the final boss! Now take on this DLC campaign” or if it was something you can encounter integrated within the campaign. Sounds like the latter . ;)

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Rex-Goliath posted:

wait people do this honestly without save scumming?

uhhh what would be the point of doing this? just play the game normally if you don't want 1 life

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I got the crystal heart and found a simple key and unlocked the sewers. So is that the way forward or I missing something on my map that the big dash will get me through?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Definitely my favorite part about playing this game is when it randomly crashes. Bonus when it crashes twice during the end boss within a half hour of each other!!!

Like the true end boss is hard enough without it crashing during what was shaping up to be my best run

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

panda clue posted:

uhhh what would be the point of doing this? just play the game normally if you don't want 1 life

achievements

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I got the crystal heart and found a simple key and unlocked the sewers. So is that the way forward or I missing something on my map that the big dash will get me through?

There's definitely some useful stuff if you explore that area. In fact, now that I think about that might be the natural route given the regions I believe you can access from it

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
What's rad about this game is loading it up having just bought the lantern and thinking I'll check out the dark cave at the right of Forgotten Crossroads before heading to City of Tears and three hours later I've been ping-ponged by upgrades and whatnot to a bunch of places that aren't City of Tears. I think the time I played prior I also had the same destination in mind but never got there.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

achievements

Not much of an achievement if you cheated to get it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mymla posted:

Not much of an achievement if you cheated to get it.

You'd be surprised at the stupid poo poo people care about.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What’s the pro-strategy for Trial of the Fool? I somehow made it to the end once but died at the boss. I get wrecked by the parts where they send a lot of flying enemies after you or restrict you to just being on the walls. I can’t figure out a good charm combo. I believe I was running:

Nailmaster’s Glory, Mark of Pride, Unbreakable Strength, Quick Slash, Void Heart(lol), Grubsong the time I made it to the boss. Idk if that’s too many notches? I tried using Weaversong and Glowing Womb but it didn’t work out as well as I had hoped it would.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I feel very bad about killing the false knight’s brothers. especially since if you dream nail them they go “wake up brother! help us!” :smith: but I had to, for the hunter’s journal.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I hope you're happy being monsters together...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed, as they say

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it’s a bug eat bug world...

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

BIG BUFF MAN posted:

What’s the pro-strategy for Trial of the Fool? I somehow made it to the end once but died at the boss. I get wrecked by the parts where they send a lot of flying enemies after you or restrict you to just being on the walls. I can’t figure out a good charm combo. I believe I was running:

Nailmaster’s Glory, Mark of Pride, Unbreakable Strength, Quick Slash, Void Heart(lol), Grubsong the time I made it to the boss. Idk if that’s too many notches? I tried using Weaversong and Glowing Womb but it didn’t work out as well as I had hoped it would.
You've got a good setup.

The most important thing is to plan out when to use your magic and when to build it. You should always heal to full when the opportunity presents itself. Basically, kill everything except one of these in each wave, and top your health off before killing it and moving on:

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Shielded_Fool - just dash to the other side of the arena and heal as much as you want

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Mantis_Petra - stay on the ground, hop over the disc thing when it's thrown, and heal as soon as you're clear; you can only get in one mask per disc

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Obble - just stay away from being directly on a diagonal from it

http://hollowknight.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Loodle - hard to explain exactly how to do it without risk, but it can be done with a little practice

It's also possible to heal against aspids and other flying creatures just by quickly ascending or descending, so long as you have a platform.

Don't forget about Abyss Shriek when fighting the magicians.

The hardest section is obviously the one with only walls and floor spikes. My best advice is to get used to using the slash nail art while sliding on the wall. It's more manageable than trying a lot of mid-air acrobatics.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
So what's with them telling you to go claim yourself as king when in fact they just want you to just contain the infection?

Or do they just mean claim yourself as king so the door to the abyss will open

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Over There posted:

So what's with them telling you to go claim yourself as king when in fact they just want you to just contain the infection?

Or do they just mean claim yourself as king so the door to the abyss will open

Second one.

Re: Trial of the Fool, like it was told to me earlier in the thread, so I will pass on to you. Start training on using the Nailmaster moves. They let you one shot most of the enemies during the no-floor section, the rest is just pattern practice and you'll get there!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Trial of the Fool was the very last thing I did in the game - even after NKG - and I went with a build designed to maximize damage. I believe it was Unbreakable Strength, Dreamshield, Dream Wielder, Mark of Pride, and Nailmaster's Glory.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I haven't even done trial of the fool yet. It's just boring to redo the easy parts you've done 10 times already to be able to practice the hard part you died to. It's like a bad MMO boss encounter which introduces new mechanics 10 minutes into the fight.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nah, it's good and fun to have an endurance challenge that exists solely for those of us who want to punish ourselves.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Nah, it's good and fun to have an endurance challenge that exists solely for those of us who want to punish ourselves.

:hmmyes:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Ooh what did I do that made the crossroads infected? I’ve done a dozen things and I don’t know which are “main”.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's either beating the lost kin and getting the double jump or absorbing any one of the dreamers i believe

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

snoremac posted:

Ooh what did I do that made the crossroads infected? I’ve done a dozen things and I don’t know which are “main”.

you found either double jump or a Dreamer.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

skasion posted:

you found either double jump or a Dreamer.
ah okay, I’ve done both.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

plus you forgot to wash your hands

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I was terrified thinking that the more dreamers I found the more areas would become infected.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I returned to the game after last playing it when there was no DLC. I died to Grimm a few times but all of a sudden managed to ace him without taking much damage. From what I've read, an average skilled player like me should probably just leave the quest at that and go see the updated Hive or something.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

NKG isn't impossible, you just have to be willing to spend time with it. Once you have a "counter" for each one of his moves, you just have to practice enough to sync it together.

^burtle fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jul 13, 2018

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I got the bad ending I heard you can lock yourself out of so I went ahead and explored a lot more. I got both halves of the king charm or whatever, I beat regular Grimm, I beat the hive knight, I fully upgraded the nail. I've seen people talk about using charms I still haven't found on much earlier bosses, so there's still a bunch of stuff I've passed up. I think I've heard people talk about the path of pain being somewhere in white palace? I guess it's a side thing in there?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah, it's behind a breakable wall, you can look up where it is without spoiling anything since you've already been through the palace. be forewarned: you get literally nothing except a journal entry from doing it, not even a completion percentage point like the trial of the fool.

so it is incredibly important that you beat it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
beating the path of pain feels better than anything else in the entire game

that should be reason enough :colbert:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

b_d posted:

I got the bad ending I heard you can lock yourself out of so I went ahead and explored a lot more. I got both halves of the king charm or whatever, I beat regular Grimm, I beat the hive knight, I fully upgraded the nail. I've seen people talk about using charms I still haven't found on much earlier bosses, so there's still a bunch of stuff I've passed up. I think I've heard people talk about the path of pain being somewhere in white palace? I guess it's a side thing in there?

basically instructions for how to get the good ending: Go to the abyss. Now that you have the king charm there's a new path leading down at the bottom. You find a mirror. Dream nail it. Play through the scene. You lose the kingcharm and get the voidheart. Now go get the good ending.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This guy is loving crazy good at this game. Potential area spoilers obvs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5EUUB5_HwY

Dancer
May 23, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

This guy is loving crazy good at this game. Potential area spoilers obvs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5EUUB5_HwY

Obligatory repost of the insane speedrun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QnLG-JEzzU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it was in the chat thread the other day some guy was like "i really hate how they shoehorned in the white palace jumping puzzle at the end of the game when it's so absolutely clear the game wasn't designed for jumping puzzles it loving ruins it" and that was a real :thunk: moment for me

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

You lose all your upgrades every time you start a new game.

You keep the knowledge you gain from finishing the Path of Pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cowcaster posted:

i think it was in the chat thread the other day some guy was like "i really hate how they shoehorned in the white palace jumping puzzle at the end of the game when it's so absolutely clear the game wasn't designed for jumping puzzles it loving ruins it" and that was a real :thunk: moment for me

That is a real dumb opinions because the movement in this game is so precise and fluid and it deserves a serious platforming challenge.