Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

SousaphoneColossus posted:

their patreon indicates $1.2 million a year, which, assuming they're splitting it equally 6 ways, is around $193k a year per person after Patreon's 5% cut and before taxes, etc., i.e., doing pretty well even by NYC standards, but not exactly in pro athlete or hedge fund manager territory.

excessive wealth accumulation is of course disgusting but the left does itself no favors with its poorer-than-thou reverse dick measuring contests as a measure of individual piety

They should pay guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

papa horny michael posted:

They should pay guests.

I agree, do we know whether they do?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

They should pay guests.

They do. They paid Adomian the last time he was on.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Retroactively pay Robby Soave

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

their patreon indicates $1.2 million a year, which, assuming they're splitting it equally 6 ways, is around $193k a year per person after Patreon's 5% cut and before taxes, etc., i.e., doing pretty well even by NYC standards, but not exactly in pro athlete or hedge fund manager territory.
Uhhh someone's forgetting the 20% cut for Erdogan

Don't have to; he never consented to joinder.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

i just reflexively disagreed with this so hard that it pushed my politics back to Obama liberal

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
come to think of it, it's probably going through some kind of business/LLC setup with each partner getting a certain salary out of that, so the tax structure for each person is probably totally different than just 1/6 of the total patreon take.

i don't really know jack poo poo about taxes beyond basic self-employment stuff so take my thoughts with a grain of salt

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Don't worry, I was already ignoring them

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Breadallelogram posted:

Don't worry, I was already ignoring them

much appreciated

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Wired: Percentage points lost to Matt's Ex per settlement

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

felix is trying to copy rich piana's steroid regime, so that's another ten grand per month right there

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
They really aren't making a ton of money if you consider they are living in a high cost of living area with no employer provided health insurance or other benefits. If I were them I would definitely be trying to stash a lot away for retirement or whatever because who knows how long the gravy train will keep going. Although maybe they could keep doing a podcast about left wing politics and Twitter inside jokes until they're into their 50's.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I mean, if they were going to be frugal about it, they should have moved to Cincinnati with Matt rather than the other way around.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

They also get an :siren::siren::siren:income:siren::siren::siren: from touring.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

razorscooter posted:

felix is trying to copy rich piana's steroid regime, so that's another ten grand per month right there

Real youtube fitness freaks follow Bostin Lloyd's steroid regimen.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
They also paint houses during the summer so they must be billionaires.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

come to think of it, it's probably going through some kind of business/LLC setup with each partner getting a certain salary out of that, so the tax structure for each person is probably totally different than just 1/6 of the total patreon take.

i don't really know jack poo poo about taxes beyond basic self-employment stuff so take my thoughts with a grain of salt

They did so like, a few episodes in. Part for liability reasons as well, and part of why they talked about getting an office for it.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

“please stop writing a book and accepting money and hosting a podcast tia god bles” - concerned chapo tarp house fan

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Kunster posted:

They did so like, a few episodes in. Part for liability reasons as well, and part of why they talked about getting an office for it.

An office in NYC would take pretty much take all of the patreon revenue and make them the "pious" podcasting style everyone craves because the money isn't going to them, rather ~some machine~.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

excessive wealth accumulation is of course disgusting but the left does itself no favors with its poorer-than-thou reverse dick measuring contests as a measure of individual piety

They aren't splitting it 6 ways, jesus christ. Every loving time, every single time this comes up you morons go full that scene from Simpsons when the kids see that Skinner is paid 30,000 dollars a year and figure since he's 40 years old he must be a millionaire!

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Guy Goodbody posted:

They aren't splitting it 6 ways, jesus christ. Every loving time, every single time this comes up you morons go full that scene from Simpsons when the kids see that Skinner is paid 30,000 dollars a year and figure since he's 40 years old he must be a millionaire!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I pre-ordered the book.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I kind of want to kickstart an audio reading of the book by all the "friends of the show". No way those oped writers would turn down an easy paycheck.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

I pre-ordered the book.

you bought the book

I preordered the audio book but now think I should get the book too since Virgil mentioned on another podcast it comes with a manga...

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012

incoherent posted:

I kind of want to kickstart an audio reading of the book by all the "friends of the show". No way those oped writers would turn down an easy paycheck.

I'd be down for kickstarting an audio reading done entirely by Matt V. Brady.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
mitt braydie

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

It’s gunna go down like the Smiths where only Morrissey signed the contract and screwed Johnny Marr and the rest of the band.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I will never buy the book

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

mods?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Kotaku loving wrote about Chapo's twitch lmao

https://kotaku.com/the-lefts-most-notorious-podcasters-are-divided-on-vide-1827588122

The comments are great:

Gamers vs Matt

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Mr. Lobe posted:

yo dude, some people can take a lot more of an active hand in that exploitation than others, dont go and pretend that the ruling class is a victim of circumstance the same way the working class is

Lmao at the idea that a gubernatorial candidate who's a millionaire 60 times over isn't part of the ruling class because she's an actress.

I wouldn't call the ruling class victims of anything, but capitalists don't control capitalism, it's the other way around.

And besides, even if you think that the problem with capitalism is the personal morals of individual capitalists, you can be sure that anyone worth tens of millions of dollars has plenty of investments funding them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

“I recorded my part for the audio book for our forthcoming book The Chapo Guide to Revolution,” Texas said, “and the audio engineer asked me about the Twitch channel. I told him about the idea that Matt and I would play Crusader Kings. I would handle the game aspects and [Christman] would give direction and flavor and commentary to the historical novelties. And he was like, ‘oh, isn’t that an alt-right game?’ Because all the alt-right weirdos say ‘Deus Vult,’ which is from that game.”

At this, Christman cut him off. “No it’s not,” he said. “Jesus loving christ, it’s from Pope loving Urban the second.”

“They know it from the game,” Texas said.

“Uncultured swine,” Christman said.

matt will always be my fave chapo.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

quote:

Biederman, who has the kind of physique that makes you believe he could kill a man with his bare hands,

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lol

good thread here.

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1017885867631767552

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm trying to get my library to buy it. :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Kotaku loving wrote about Chapo's twitch lmao

https://kotaku.com/the-lefts-most-notorious-podcasters-are-divided-on-vide-1827588122

The comments are great:

Gamers vs Matt

mouseclicker is dumb gently caress.

Groovelord Neato posted:

matt will always be my fave chapo.

i disagree with matt about games and kinda art/entertainment in general( loves lovely movies but thinks all entertainment is bad because ant society bullshit) but i love his rants and alot of his points and history knowlegde. so he is best chapo after felix.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 14, 2018

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Bryter posted:

Lmao at the idea that a gubernatorial candidate who's a millionaire 60 times over isn't part of the ruling class because she's an actress.

I wouldn't call the ruling class victims of anything, but capitalists don't control capitalism, it's the other way around.

And besides, even if you think that the problem with capitalism is the personal morals of individual capitalists, you can be sure that anyone worth tens of millions of dollars has plenty of investments funding them.

capitalism is essentially the evil AI that’s going to destroy humanity, and even billionaires are pawns in its game

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

mouseclicker is dumb gently caress.

i disagree with matt about games and kinda art/entertainment in general( loves lovely movies but thinks all entertainment is bad because ant society bullshit) but i love his rants and alot of his points and history knowlegde. so he is best chapo after felix.

yea Felix is my favorite chapo just because I'm also a dork for fightsports and games and all but Matt is great because even when he becomes a 500 year old man who's enraged by the very concept of leisure time or whatever he's at least smart enough to make a funny rant about it and knows enough actual history to tend to have a core point.

The only time he was really insufferable was funny enough Ready Player One, just because he clearly doesn't actually know much game industry history so it lead to stuff like 'agh the first easter egg was just a self suck' needing to have everyone go 'ok Matt shut up now'.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

It Just Got Worse posted:

I'd be down for kickstarting an audio reading done entirely by Matt V. Brady.

I want a version of the audiobook where the subject of whatever chapter reads their chapter. Like I want Megan McArdle to read an entire chapter about her obnoxious takes and devotion to $1000 kitchen gadgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

sexpig by night posted:

yea Felix is my favorite chapo just because I'm also a dork for fightsports and games and all but Matt is great because even when he becomes a 500 year old man who's enraged by the very concept of leisure time or whatever he's at least smart enough to make a funny rant about it and knows enough actual history to tend to have a core point.

The only time he was really insufferable was funny enough Ready Player One, just because he clearly doesn't actually know much game industry history so it lead to stuff like 'agh the first easter egg was just a self suck' needing to have everyone go 'ok Matt shut up now'.

He was 100 percent right about the movie being lovely and it being a self suck though.