Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

CowboyAndy posted:

That's how I feel about Mass Effect 3's horde multiplayer mode.

Also, unpopular (?) opinion: Mass Effect 3's multiplayer was the best part of ME3.

Oh no, the multiplayer for ME3 was lauded even when the writers were melting down about their lovely ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Actual unpopular Mass Effect opinion:

There was more to that game than the ending where choices actually mattered. There is no way there could be an ending that would be considered "good" by most people. They already fixed some of the more severe issues in a patch anyway so stop whining about it.

On a unrelated note, people also seems to forget how lovely Mass Effect 1 really was. Shooting is bad, side content is boring, the RPG part was never any good.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I loved the multiplayer in ME3 so much that I pre-ordered Dragon Age Inquisition because it was going to have a similar multiplayer, but holy poo poo it was so not as good.

I also ended up playing like 90 hours of Dragon Age Inquisition and that game is terrible. Apparently a huge number of people thought it was good and gave it high review scores but it's all bad and I played enough of it that my opinion is valid.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

dudeness posted:

I loved the multiplayer in ME3 so much that I pre-ordered Dragon Age Inquisition because it was going to have a similar multiplayer, but holy poo poo it was so not as good.

I also ended up playing like 90 hours of Dragon Age Inquisition and that game is terrible. Apparently a huge number of people thought it was good and gave it high review scores but it's all bad and I played enough of it that my opinion is valid.

Is there a bigger self-own than putting huge hours into a game you know isn't good? I ask this as someone who spent the summer of 2015 grinding away at Assassin's Creed Unity.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
you can still enjoy a game even if it's bad

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TheScott2K posted:

Is there a bigger self-own than putting huge hours into a game you know isn't good? I ask this as someone who spent the summer of 2015 grinding away at Assassin's Creed Unity.

I think its a pretty misconception that because someone puts alot of time into a game you shouldn't rule out their opinion. It comes off as really shallow. Tell you the truth they may know more than you know because of it. You gonna trust the guy who played the game for 2 hours and only played the refined intro to mystify the morons or are you going to trust the guy who went through the pain?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 13, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

fridge corn posted:

https://twitter.com/BarackSays_Wooo/status/1006007205714423808?s=19

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bholder posted:

Actual unpopular Mass Effect opinion:

There was more to that game than the ending where choices actually mattered. There is no way there could be an ending that would be considered "good" by most people. They already fixed some of the more severe issues in a patch anyway so stop whining about it..

Actually it wouldn't have been that crazy to make an ending that makes sense. Some parts of the ending are actually kind of neat--the idea that the thing the galaxy can use to defeat the Reapers is a superweapon that has been worked on by advanced species throughout several cycles is really cool, like those species cast a light into the future and just hoped that eventually someone could end the cycle. It's just that everything beyond that is extremely stupid and their eventual patch didn't really address the stupid parts.

For example, they really didn't need multiple actual endings. I don't think anyone would have minded if the core of the ending was always "Shepard and his comrades destroy the Reapers" and then the things that changed based on your in-game decisions were in the ending slides after that. Given that quests during the rest of ME3 were decently reactive to your choices in ME1 and 2, that doesn't seem like it'd be all that impossible to implement and I think it would've been much more satisfying than "pick a color, two of which only kinda make sense and one that doesn't at all"

Tenzarin posted:

I think its a pretty misconception that because someone puts alot of time into a game you shouldn't rule out their opinion. It comes off as really shallow. Tell you the truth they may know more than you know because of it. You gonna trust the guy who played the game for 2 hours and only played the refined intro to mystify the morons or are you going to trust the guy who went through the pain?

It's still a self-own in the context of someone pushing themselves through an experience they're not enjoying for no reason at all

I say this as someone who 100%ed FFXIII and only enjoyed like 20% of it

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Tenzarin posted:

I think its a pretty misconception that because someone puts alot of time into a game you shouldn't rule out their opinion. It comes off as really shallow. Tell you the truth they may now more than you know because of it. You gonna trust the guy who played the game for 2 hours and only played the refined intro to mystify the morons or are you going to trust the guy who went through the pain?

He's not saying he doesn't trust the other guys opinion. He's saying that if you find yourself playing a game you dont like, going 90 hours into it is, "oh god, stop" levels of self abuse.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

fridge corn posted:

me playing The Surge

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Zelda: BotW controls like total garbage and is really tedious to play. It's like Link is covered in baby oil.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Zelda: BotW controls like total garbage and is really tedious to play. It's like Link is covered in baby oil.

The mega-jump you get from beating the bird zord does BoTW a lot of favors.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i played a shitload of DA Inquisition (which is honestly pretty awful) because at the time i had about the world's shittiest network connection and even stupid crap like blops3's single player campaign required an always-on connection

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

I say this as someone who 100%ed FFXIII and only enjoyed like 20% of it

You should have used cheat engine to skip all the grinding. It was pretty fun. I think upon it fondly.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Tenzarin posted:

I might not rule out their opinion, but I would take it with a giant bag of salt. I struggle to find the time to spend 50+ hours on games I like, so if someone spends 50+ hours on a game they insist is bad, I can only assume they are being hyperbolic or they are mentally broken.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
People also self-awarely watch a lot of junk TV and nobody really cares about that. DA:I was pretty trash in many respects, but there was enough to it to encourage you to sink some time in. Hell, I might have even completed it if The Witcher 3 didn't come out and make me just drop it and never look back.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jeza posted:

People also self-awarely watch a lot of junk TV and nobody really cares about that.

Life is surely absurd.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

You should have used cheat engine to skip all the grinding. It was pretty fun. I think upon it fondly.

I played it on 360 when it first came out, no cheat engine for me :negative:

I actually really like the combat system and the endgame--those were the parts I liked. The first like 70% of the story (and the ending, in which the characters abandon all reason and change their minds at the drop of a hat) and all the grinding sucked but the core gameplay is quite good when it really gets going.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

bradzilla posted:

It’s actually the only good and playable Zelda game ever made

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

veni veni veni posted:

I don’t know if this is actually unpopular, but it’s very prolific. The thing games do where your stealthing a base and guys run off to blow a horn/ring and get more enemies needs to be loving eradicated. I can’t think of something I hate more in games and it’s like every open world game.
as a person that play stealth as much as possible, that's like the whole challenge of it. games that don't let you break the alarms in advance are trash tho.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

IDONTPOST posted:

No wonder I've never gotten more than 2 hours into a Zelda game. How did this game get universal perfect scores? It's bad. It looks like a PS2 game.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

IDONTPOST posted:

Well this is certainly the right thread for this opinion.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
FTL was an okay game, but the fiddly combat that often relied on eking out a victory by controlling your 6 pixel high crewmembers was not what made the game good.

Video games in general have neglected the one distinctive feature and advantage they have over other media: interactivity. You mostly control how quickly you experience a linear story. Sad.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

temple posted:

as a person that play stealth as much as possible, that's like the whole challenge of it. games that don't let you break the alarms in advance are trash tho.

I like to let them run for it and kill them just before they get there

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

the only good battlefield was Battlefield 1942

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Not to justify my 90 hours, but I didn't know it was really bad until I finished and realized how much time I had wasted dealing with all the little side content that ultimately meant nothing and the end to the story that I realized I didn't care about and wasn't good.

It was getting all sorts of positive reviews and so I thought there must be something more to it and pushed through but at the end I just felt like an idiot.

I honestly might have enjoyed it if it was a more compact game.

e: I was enjoying parts of the game while playing it, I wasn't straight up filled with hatred from the get go, that all came after I finished really, but it was enough that I feel comfortable saying that the whole game is garbage.

dudeness fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 13, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i kinda liked the modern day segments in assassins creed games

i've only played 4 and origins, though, and haven't beaten either

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I thought the alien storyline in Assassins Creed was pretty neat and interesting

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

temple posted:

I don't mind the idea of getting spotted=giving you a harder time. I just think the whole "get more trivial grunts so the area becomes prolonged" is a super lazy and annoying approach. Have the guys on high alert, have them put body armor on or launch missiles at me I don't care. Just having some guy run off and ring a bell to get 10 more of the guys I just killed sucks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Speaking of stealth, whatever happened to the Splinter Cell series? The game's were huge two generations ago, to the point of rivaling Metal Gear in popularity. Now...

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of stealth, whatever happened to the Splinter Cell series? The game's were huge two generations ago, to the point of rivaling Metal Gear in popularity. Now...

Ubisoft farmed it

props to that series for getting Amon Tobin to do the soundtrack for the second one though

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

bradzilla posted:

It looks like a PS2 game.

That's just factually wrong

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Verisimilidude posted:

I thought the alien storyline in Assassins Creed was pretty neat and interesting

Right up until AC3 hosed it all up. Seriously, AC2's entire adventure being the vehicle for a message across time to Desmond was a great twist ending.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
My biggest issue with the AC3 ending is that nothing has really come of it. The fundamental issue is that Desmond can uphold the Assassin ideals and let the evil pseudo-god stay imprisoned, safeguarding mankind’s free will but at the cost of the vast majority of humanity dying out only to have the cycle start anew with some future iteration having to face the same issue, and he chooses to free her and save the world, and break the cycle, banking on the faith that his friends and allies can finish what he started and stop her too.

Then over the next few games she hides in the internet and tries to take over an interns body and fails before disappearing almost completey until Ubisoft announced they were quietly going to wrap that up in some comics.

So. Yeah. It makes the ending much worse in retrospect knowing that the whole plot just goes nowhere.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

lol apparently another typo was loving up AI in alien:colonial marine

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

1redflag posted:

Well this is certainly the right thread for this opinion.

Yeah, "good Zelda game", what a joke

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Do you actually enjoy anything steinrokkan? You seem like the most miserable bastard alive.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 14, 2018

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Prime example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRnVata0Vdo

Not a good game on pretty much any level. Funny as hell and can be completed in like an hour.

I would also recommend Stranglehold from a few years back, but it's about twice as long as it needs to be. The level where you blow up all of the islands around Hong Kong is 8 million years long.

P.S. Zelda III is the best Zelda game, gently caress this lame 3D poo poo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Prime example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRnVata0Vdo

Not a good game on pretty much any level. Funny as hell and can be completed in like an hour.

I would also recommend Stranglehold from a few years back, but it's about twice as long as it needs to be. The level where you blow up all of the islands around Hong Kong is 8 million years long.

P.S. Zelda III is the best Zelda game, gently caress this lame 3D poo poo

Rogue Warrior? jfc whats the sequel, Cleric Warlock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did he call the mission a "typical scoop and poop"?