Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

Infected posted:

I only speedrun naked, will this be a problem?

how else are you supposed to judge the human element

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Zamujasa posted:

I think the bottle glitch and fake powder are things that should be banned in standard randomizers, but because it doesn't have an effect in any% it's just fine :rolleye:

Bottle glitch is overall banned, it's just allowed in 2 specific locations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Zamujasa posted:

I think the bottle glitch and fake powder are things that should be banned in standard randomizers, but because it doesn't have an effect in any% it's just fine :rolleye:

I used to feel that way about the bottle glitch but I sort of came around on it because it's really easy to execute, knowing how to do it and choosing to do it can provide an advantage but it doesn't totally blow open the whole game, and there are small tradeoffs with those two glitches. With fake powder you have to empty out your magic meter. If you do this, it doesn't pay off and later it turns out powder was in GT you just did an extra check your opponent might not have, you potentially put time and effort into it and depending on what you've done and what you can do you might have to go out of your way to get more magic.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

uh oh pancho! posted:

how else are you supposed to judge the human element

:hmmyes:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Got my train tickets for my trip to ESA. It's getting real close now.

I should probably actually practice my run some more and also actually get to work on the serious ESA thread.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Zamujasa posted:

it doesn't have an effect in any% it's just fine :rolleye:

I mean technically any% for alttp is like 2 minutes.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

imo the only glitch that should be banned for standard rando that isn't is hovering and that's because hovering is a glitch that really does break the game wide open. It's not banned in NMG because it doesn't let you skip items but it can let you skip a good amount of stuff in Rando.

edit: this is also because I can't hover and am jealous of those who can

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

KennyMan666 posted:

I should probably actually practice my run some more and also actually get to work on the serious ESA thread.

Never practice

Just find someone with a mega everdrive and play pringles the whole time

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

axeil posted:

imo the only glitch that should be banned for standard rando that isn't is hovering and that's because hovering is a glitch that really does break the game wide open. It's not banned in NMG because it doesn't let you skip items but it can let you skip a good amount of stuff in Rando.

Oh yeah, hovering is complete bullshit too.

SoftNum posted:

I mean technically any% for alttp is like 2 minutes.
any% NMG. The fact that the bottle glitch is selectively allowed in one place but banned in others feels completely arbitrary.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The PoD bottle glitch just tricks the camera and lets you trick one room into thinking it was cleared. The general bottle glitch lets you go out of bounds.

I agree that it's arbitrary and confusing but there is a difference.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

While we’re at it, it looks like a botw trick has been done without TAS recently. I’m on mobile or id link but the thread is on r/speedrun

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
gently caress all of yall OOT 100% is fun as gently caress to watch, if only for dampe counts

BOTW glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYYM06yl1hc

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/8ye4kx/super_launches_are_now_rtaviable_in_zelda_breath/

quote:

Hello everybody! Around 3 months ago, I posted a thread to this sub about a new glitch found in Zelda: BotW called Super Speed Launches, or SSL's for short. This is basically a way to double Link's paragliding speed after performing a Stasis Launch, one of the most basic speed mechanics in this game. It is a very big glitch for this game, because it can be used in most Stasis Launch situations, seemingly revolutionizing the way we speedrun this game by giving us an insanely fast version of stasis launch that is incredibly versatile. However, for the longest time we never knew how to make these happen consistently. But as of the past few weeks, developments have been made allowing us to pull off this trick relatively consistently, making it viable for runs. Additionally, these tricks begun to be called "Super Launches" instead of "Super Speed Launches" among members of the community. We have already seen this trick make its way into any% runs, but currently routes are being developed for other categories involving Super Launches right now. (And if you're interested in seeing some neat route ideas for All Main Quests, let me know in the comments! I have been going hard in the paint working on this new route!!!)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KennyMan666 posted:

bring your script to the thread so we can stomp out the bad jokes beforehand

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

onesixtwo posted:

Keep in mind we only learned about two brand new glitches in A Link to the Past, also!

Xelna is using this in NMG runs and has lowered his record by 6 seconds to 1:23:13, so far. He's aiming for 1:22:__ now

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Webbeh posted:

gently caress all of yall OOT 100% is fun as gently caress to watch, if only for dampe counts

BOTW glitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYYM06yl1hc

https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/8ye4kx/super_launches_are_now_rtaviable_in_zelda_breath/

An all main quests run for BotW would be really cool to watch, if a little lengthy

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Current PB for Startropics is good enough for 25th place on the leaderboards, but I haven't been streaming or recording yet. It would have been top 20 if I hadn't stupidly jumped in a pit after killing a late-stage boss for absolutely no reason, but ah well. How do you submit a run to speedrun.com anyway? Just link a twitch VOD or recording?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hobojim posted:

Current PB for Startropics is good enough for 25th place on the leaderboards, but I haven't been streaming or recording yet. It would have been top 20 if I hadn't stupidly jumped in a pit after killing a late-stage boss for absolutely no reason, but ah well. How do you submit a run to speedrun.com anyway? Just link a twitch VOD or recording?

Twitch vod link is good, separate YouTube upload on top is even better

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Nep-Nep posted:

The PoD bottle glitch just tricks the camera and lets you trick one room into thinking it was cleared. The general bottle glitch lets you go out of bounds.

I agree that it's arbitrary and confusing but there is a difference.

yeah it's not even that similar of a glitch, it's just "involves bottle in some way"

the banned glitch in question is called YBA (yuzuhara's bottle adventure) and it requires you to activate a bottle on the same frame you move through a doorway. it corrupts the game's memory in weird ways and can do lots of things.

the PoD bottle glitch does one small specific thing to the camera, and it's also much simpler and easier to do.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Infected posted:

I only speedrun naked, will this be a problem?

It's not a real PB if you don't get erect.

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

bare bottom pancakes posted:

It's not a real PB if you don't get erect.

welp

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Earlier tonight I did a few runs of a category for Blaster Master that I never really put any serious effort into (glitchless) and after three runs I had it down to like 46 minutes when I was originally thinking 48 minutes was a reasonable starting point.

Then I did a few derust runs on Metal Storm and my very first run of the first loop was a mere 17 seconds slower than my old PB and 12 seconds faster than my SGDQ2014 run. After not playing the game for something like a year and a half. Second loop was quite a bit rougher, but still within acceptable parameters considering how long it's been since I put any effort into it.

Think I'll be good for GDQx submissions by Saturday.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

axeil posted:

sounds like a severe case of needing to

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
this thread: speedrunning should be for skilled players only

also this thread: they should ban this glitch from speedrunning cuz im bad at it lol

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I learned how to hover in ALTTP and I feel torn on its status in randomizer in that with the size of the community now it might seem like a more accessible game competitively if that trick were banned, but on the other hand it's not like people aren't entering because some people can do it, it doesn't significantly benefit the majority of runs, and people watching matches tend to get hyped up when they see someone do it.

I feel like the issue with the trick comes from players who use emulators and non-standard control methods like a keyboard. I absolutely cannot imagine how someone would pull that trick off on a keyboard. I'm not gonna say it's impossible but I wouldn't be able to do it. So you have some players who potentially can't simply learn the trick unless they change how they're controlling the game.

Overall, it probably shouldn't actually be banned but if some change to the logic led to some odd bias where swamp was a pendant more often than not or something, that could be an issue. Until then, it's too rare that hookshot can be skipped practically that hovering might not be a big enough deal to ban it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ugh, D2 boss skip in Oracle of Ages is miserable! It wouldn't be nearly as bad if pause buffering wasn't so hard to do consistently.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nep-Nep posted:

The biggest advantage to the general bottle glitch setup is that it allows you to open the flute menu in the Dark World, which allows for quick travel and access to Mire without Titan's Mitt.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Suspicious Dish posted:

this thread: speedrunning should be for skilled players only

also this thread: they should ban this glitch from speedrunning cuz im bad at it lol

If you have to ban glitches arbitrarily for the run to work it is a bad run

That is my stance and no post in this thread will convince me otherwise.

Unrelated, hi thread I've been quietly plugging away at Celeste for however long:

https://twitter.com/Succinct_Punchy/status/1017648156098678784?s=19

I'm 6th now. I think. The top 10 keeps shuffling around a bunch. I'll be running it at ESA in like a week.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

My speedrun initialism lore is weak, is ESA the "GDQ but not for crybaby libcucks #MAGA" one or is that something else? I'm hankering for more speedrun content to watch.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

fadam posted:

My speedrun initialism lore is weak, is ESA the "GDQ but not for crybaby libcucks #MAGA" one or is that something else? I'm hankering for more speedrun content to watch.

You're thinking of NASA. ESA is categorically not like that. It's just a European event in the general vein of a Done Quick.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

no I think ESA is a euro thing and I forget the initials of the one you’re thinking of but it’s definitely american
efb.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

You're thinking of NASA. ESA is categorically not like that. It's just a European event in the general vein of a Done Quick.

Righteous, thanks!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Does this include speedruns where they ban certain glitches for certain categories so that the run can be more visually interesting, like the various categories of OoT that don't involve warping straight from the Gohma fight to the escape down Ganon's tower?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

what about tricks that runners hate because they're so finnicky and inconsistent and annoying that the community has collectively let a run category die because they don't find it fun

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Banning A-presses is A-OK though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Banning A-presses is A-OK though.

A-not-OK. :rimshot:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

FirstAidKite posted:

Does this include speedruns where they ban certain glitches for certain categories so that the run can be more visually interesting, like the various categories of OoT that don't involve warping straight from the Gohma fight to the escape down Ganon's tower?

that's where the word 'arbitrarily' is pulling an enormous amount of unwritten description along with it :v:

that said i do not think punchy would be caught dead speedrunning any categories except any% as Luigi intended

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

what about tricks that runners hate because they're so finnicky and inconsistent and annoying that the community has collectively let a run category die because they don't find it fun

Not really the same thing but wasn't iateyourpie trying for a while to make Paper Mario No Blue House Skip a category/the main category because he was so bad at doing it and happened to have the WR without using BHS?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

DizzyBum posted:

A-not-OK. :rimshot:

Split the difference, it’s half-A-OK.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Last year in like....August or something, a bunch of Megaman Record Holders (orsa, Infinitemystery, Mr Cab....some people I don't remember) did the Triple M, Masters, Mavericks, Mutos. Megaman 1-10, X 1-8, Zero 1-4. It was a test of stamina.

Tomorrow, Nep-Nep and I are racing a Single M, just the Masters, using Megaman Legacy Collections 1 and 2. We aren't Megaman Speedrunners. The only one I really know at this point is X7, and we aren't doing that, but I'm hoping it'll be a good time. As in experience, because we are both terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Oyster posted:

Last year in like....August or something, a bunch of Megaman Record Holders (orsa, Infinitemystery, Mr Cab....some people I don't remember) did the Triple M, Masters, Mavericks, Mutos. Megaman 1-10, X 1-8, Zero 1-4. It was a test of stamina.

Tomorrow, Nep-Nep and I are racing a Single M, just the Masters, using Megaman Legacy Collections 1 and 2. We aren't Megaman Speedrunners. The only one I really know at this point is X7, and we aren't doing that, but I'm hoping it'll be a good time. As in experience, because we are both terrible.

:yeah:

I used to be a Mega Man speedrunner but that was a very, very long time ago. I don't remember my bad old strats, so knowing good ones of today is off the table. But this will definitely be fun.