Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1017914401544757248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I had never thought about Kojima's age until now, I mean of course he's been making games for decades but contemplating that he's in his mid-50s....

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

That hurts. A lot.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
54 and he can't even finish fire walk with me before watching twin peaks s3

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lol a guy says the gently caress word on tonight's episode of jeopardy

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Was it Trebek or a contestant? Because the former wouldn't really be too shocking.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Would I get banned for saying Inklings and Octolings look alike

https://twitter.com/MagatsuDrop/status/1015578888259371009

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So someone found out why the ai in aliens colonial marines was poo poo, a single spelling error in the ai code.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/aliens-colonial-marines-ai-fixed-by-a-single-letter.55247/

quote:

A new update will be coming soon with this change included, however after getting reports back from several players on how much this effects the game, I just had to post it now

Inside your games config file (My Document\My Games\Aliens Colonial Marines\PecanGame\Config\PecanEngine.ini) is the following line of code :

ClassRemapping=PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachXenoToTether -> PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachPawnToTeather

Im sure you'll notice the spelling mistake

ClassRemapping=PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachXenoToTether -> PecanGame.PecanSeqAct_AttachPawnToTether

If you fix it to look like the above and then play the game, the difference is pretty crazy!

Why is this line important? There are two reasons :
1) AttachXenoToTeather doesn't do anything. Its basically empty or stripped
2) AttachPawnToTether does ALOT. It controls tactical position adjustment, patrolling and target zoning

When a Xeno is spawned, it is attached to a zone tether. This zone tells the Xeno what area is its fighting space and where different exits are. In Combat, a Xeno will be forced to switch to a new tether (such as one behind you) so as to flank, or disperse so they aren't so grouped up etc. (*disclaimer* this is inferred opinion, I cant see the actual code only bits)

Whenever the game tried to do this, nothing happened. Now it does!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What if this makes colonial marines the greatest game ever made now?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had never thought about Kojima's age until now, I mean of course he's been making games for decades but contemplating that he's in his mid-50s....

Most developers at this age tend to be producers, consultants, or retired in a few years. But Yu Suzuki is 60 and directs and produces Shenmue 3. Pretty hardcore.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

chumbler posted:

What if this makes colonial marines the greatest game ever made now?
It still prevented us from having an Aliens RPG made by Obsidian, so no.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Every time I see a how to basic, all I think is "that's a lot of perfectly good food he's wasting that could have gone to feed several dozens of needy people"

I feel like a killjoy though. Idk. Maybe he uses expired or tainted food, idk. Just seems like a massive waste.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

asterioth posted:

So someone found out why the ai in aliens colonial marines was poo poo, a single spelling error in the ai code.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/aliens-colonial-marines-ai-fixed-by-a-single-letter.55247/

How is stuff like this not discovered by the company when something breaks? Civ VI had the exact same thing happen.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TOOT BOOT posted:

How is stuff like this not discovered by the company when something breaks? Civ VI had the exact same thing happen.

Because Randy Pitchford was too busy doing magic shows in his basement.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

i'm guessing it just failed silently instead of generating a lot of errors, and stuff like that doesn't get unit tested or anything usually. its very easy and happens all the time, most bugs are programmer error in the first place and a lot of effort has gone into designing tools and practices to tell people when they've hosed up

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

Every time I see a how to basic, all I think is "that's a lot of perfectly good food he's wasting that could have gone to feed several dozens of needy people"

I feel like a killjoy though. Idk. Maybe he uses expired or tainted food, idk. Just seems like a massive waste.

Yeah same. Same with Swedish Meal Time too.

Swedish Meal Time at least toned it down a lot. I don't think they're even making videos anymore.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

has anybody told him he looks hot in glasses

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztwo7V_SUZk

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's interesting. Will probably still not buy Vol.2, but it's interesting.

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/1017974986999336960

quote:

In the new Rookie Hunter mode, which can be toggled both in-game and in the main menu, players will be able to halve the damage taken in every game of the Mega Man X series. Furthermore, Rookie Hunter mode in X4 to X8 will also prevent insta-deaths from spikes and bottomless pits.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Looper posted:

agreed but tiny leather jacket hideo is hot too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HFWr-YzWyA

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I loving hate Kojima

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Samuringa posted:

That's interesting. Will probably still not buy Vol.2, but it's interesting.

https://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/1017974986999336960

Spikes I get, but do you just jump out of the bottomless pit?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm watching Baron Munchausen instead of playing games and what a beautifully elaborate movie. Absolutely criminal it bombed hard in the box office.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

if it helps, the only reason people are going hungry is because we don't want to give them the food we're letting rot so this misuse is basically irrelevant

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zil posted:

Spikes I get, but do you just jump out of the bottomless pit?

You float out. In the later classic games it happens via Beat pulling you out.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm glad they're adding that accessibility option. If they ever do a Zero collection rerelease that might conflict with the "gently caress you if you use them" cyber elves system in 1 and 2 though, which was fine thematically, but not so great for getting people into the games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I loving hate Kojima

Why's that?

Pladdicus posted:

if it helps, the only reason people are going hungry is because we don't want to give them the food we're letting rot so this misuse is basically irrelevant

Even from a local level though that's a lot of food that could be going to homeless people. Sure he can't just get that food and send it to starving kids in Africa but there are bound to be vagrants and downtrodden around australia (I think he's in australia) who could make better use of the food.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

oh neat, that Miles & Kilo game I was gushing about was apparently a sequel to something called KidTripp, which I just found randomly while browsing the Switch eshop and noticing the art was similar.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Even from a local level though that's a lot of food that could be going to homeless people. Sure he can't just get that food and send it to starving kids in Africa but there are bound to be vagrants and downtrodden around australia (I think he's in australia) who could make better use of the food.

It's not necessarily the case that they would have been able to do that. My understanding is that a lot of the time extra food or food that would otherwise be wasted can't be given away for liability reasons due to potential spoilage.

That's not to say they couldn't have probably made some arrangements beforehand, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 14, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

chumbler posted:

I'm glad they're adding that accessibility option. If they ever do a Zero collection rerelease that might conflict with the "gently caress you if you use them" cyber elves system in 1 and 2 though, which was fine thematically, but not so great for getting people into the games.

Inti can be clumsy with their mechanics and take a few swings to get something right, but I appreciate that they've always had an eye for iterating towards accessibility when they get the chance while still making fundamentally the same, often hard, games.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kojima immortal so what

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kojima and Araki hanging out at the Tokyo vampire convention

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Jay Rust posted:

I loving hate Kojima

Um. Mods. Ban this filth.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've finished the Mages Guild questline in Oblivion. It was definitely the most boring one of the lot. Mannimarco bugged out on me as well so in the end I had to shove him underwater and get him caught in a tunnel so he drowned. Not exactly the shining victory it should have been.

I also really liked Vaermina's daedra quest where you go into this whole nightmare world. There's something very disconcerting about seeing this kind of thing in first-person that makes it much weirder and more off-putting.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i used to want to defend kojima because mgs1-3 are pretty good and snatcher is cool but then i remembered the beauties in mgs4 are kinda weird and i never played mgsv and policenauts has a man going around nonconsensually slapping all of the boobs in space and then getting hit on by the physically frail daughter of his divorced dead wife

and kojima started watching season 3 of twin peaks while skipping fire walk with me

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 14, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i used to want to defend kojima because mgs1-3 are pretty good and snatcher is cool but then i remembered the beauties in mgs4 are kinda weird and i never played mgsv and policenauts has a man going around nonconsensually slapping all of the boobs in space and then getting hit on by the physically frail daughter of his divorced dead wife

and kojima started watching season 3 of twin peaks while skipping fire walk with me

At least with Policenauts it's completely player engaged which is amazing restraint when companies like ELF were at the top of their game. If you don't act like a pervert you never get the perverted dialog and I like how the game sort of flags this and rips on you every time you talk to a woman.

MGS4 he just wanted an excuse to have motion capture supermodels. It's the dumbest poo poo in the series but MGS4 is the dumbest game.

MGS5 is legit good game. Quiet is dumb but she has all of four scenes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

2 > V > 4 > 1 > 3 IMO.

1 would be higher than 4 if the gameplay itself aged more gracefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Raxivace posted:

2 > V > 4 > 1 > 3 IMO.

1 would be higher than 4 if the gameplay itself aged more gracefully.

First time I've ever seen 3 listed as the worst MGS game.

• Locked thread