Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah playing second guitar owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

baka kaba posted:

(USE A METRONOME! get one for your phone if you want. You need a solid rhythmic cue as a guide and to monitor your form)

You should be learning strumming patterns - the basic idea is your arm constantly moves up and down with the beat, and you let your pick/fingers contact the strings whenever you need a strum. So just start with down down down down until that's solid and comfortable, then add in the upstrokes for D U D U D U D U. You just want to make sure they're solid, your timing is good, and everything sounds and feels even. Then you can move onto more interesting patterns, which are basically just skipping strums (but your arm still moves, forever moving)

For picking you need to learn alternate picking from the start - picking down then up then down... there are slightly more efficient variations where you can break that pattern, but you need to have a solid grasp on it, just like with strumming. Just play an open string, D U D U D U over and over, making sure to keep time and checking that your upstrokes are as accurate and even as your downstrokes (they won't be at first). Once you're cool with that, it's a good idea to start practicing string skipping - play something like
E A E D E G E B E e
where you hit the low E, then the A string, then the low E, then the D string (skipping over the A), E then G (skipping over the A and D) until you work your way out to the 1st string. Try it and you'll see what's happening. Then you can come back down, and then start on the A string instead, using that as your home string and skipping to the others, and so on! Alt picking all the way, metronoming hard

These are focused right hand techniques, and you can do them on the couch just to build a bit of muscle memory if you want, but most of the time you should be practicing with both hands. Do the strumming, but also fret and switch chords. Do picking exercises but run through a scale while you're doing it. You need to work on your hands being in coordination, so you don't generally work on one in isolation. Ultimately practice is about doing the things you need to be able to do when you're actually playing for real

If you haven't seen Justin Guitar I'd highly recommend it - it's a guitar course that's structured like an actual set of lessons developing your technique from scratch, useful pointers and exercises and all that. He'll give you some stuff to practice that'll get your hands working together!

Good stuff man, thanks!

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yeah playing second guitar owns.

Hetfield >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hammett

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Anime Reference posted:

Malcolm >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Angus

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Hanneman >>>>>>> King

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Munky>>>Head
Jim Root>>>>>>>>>>>Mick Thomson
The other guitarist>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>me

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 12, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
me on left guitar >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> me on right guitar

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Pedal Steel > Idiots who have to stand on stage

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Anime Reference posted:

Hammett???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdlQyNe_9tE

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

playing the same three black metal riffs I’ve been playing since high school >>>>>>>>>>>> getting better at guitar

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Everyone wants to be Dave Murray but sometimes you have to be Adrian Smith

Aren't a bunch of Adrian Smith's solos actually harder? I might be misremembering who does which solo, and the only Maiden song that I know (edit: = can play) multiple solos from is Powerslave, but I thought Murray usually did the more melodic stuff and Smith does the shreddier stuff. Although I suppose this is based off of tabs and who knows if they ascribe the right solo to the right guitarist.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Murray is more legato aeolian and Smith is a lot more bendy pentatonic.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I want to learn a song my mom will like.

Does anyone know of a Neil Diamond song that is popular and pretty easy for one guitar?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

Does anyone know of a Neil Diamond song that is popular and pretty easy for one guitar?
the base melody here is pretty simple, there's also a justin guitar video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvMjgLXBi0
has the bonus of being wildly inappropriate to sing to your mom

e: https://www.justinguitar.com/songs/neil-diamond-girl-you-ll-be-a-woman-soon-chords-tabs-guitar-lesson-bs-423

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

Heart of Gold

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Cinnamon Girl

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
these posters are NOT answering in good faith

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Hahaha I have a cover gig in two days where I have to switch between guitar, tenor banjo, and bass because playing one instrument is for squares and the gear setup is killing me. Especially due to the fact I’m in a weird grindcore phase and just want to yell about far-left politics while playing dumb heavy poo poo.

Guitars are versatile instruments: I think I figured out how to subtly quote Anal oval office while soloing over a Clapton song.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Always a woman

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I know someone selling a 30+ year old ovation celebrity cc157 for 310 with a hardcase which sounds worth checking out but its a bit of a drive. Thoughts?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kilometers Davis posted:

playing the same three black metal riffs I’ve been playing since high school >>>>>>>>>>>> getting better at guitar

I spent a portion of the evening figuring out the menu theme from Wolfenstein 3D on a '95 Jag-Stang through an original (US-made) DOD Grunge pedal. Neither of which I actually owned back then, but high school is a state of mind, maaaan.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
(The new band is a chance to make up for the lovely politics of the last band, and it's the Nazi-killingest song I know.)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So here's a thing that popped up on CL around me.

How would those angles help the tone?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Plinkey posted:

Hail Satan.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rio posted:

Hail Satan.

I guess it's one of these.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Plinkey posted:

By summoning a plague of tone beetles of course

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

baka kaba posted:

By summoning a plague of tone beetles of course

So...I should buy it?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Plinkey posted:

So...I should buy it?

You shouldn’t not buy it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

awesmoe posted:

these posters are NOT answering in good faith

I would expect nothing less.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I’d give it six months before I broke off those “horn” looking pieces on top.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Gnumonic posted:

I *knew* there was some reason why things actually sounded better louder. Thanks for the link, kind of interesting.

The way it was explained to me is this: the ear is shaped like a trumpet full of hairs, high frequency detecting hairs at the front and low frequency detecting hairs at the back.

This means that in general the ear is really lovely at detecting bass. A sound needs to be hitting the ears at a certain volume level to even activate those low frequency hairs. Meanwhile those high detecting hairs are getting blasted (and dying, leaving you with tinnitus as your body attempts to crank up the gain to compensate).

As an upshot of this, the secret to mixing a good bass sound lies in the upper frequencies. Since the ear is so bad at discerning detail or pitch in bass tones (and many sound systems are poo poo at reproducing them, bass waves are just a hassle all round) a lot of the time when you hear a bass line you’re not actually hearing the fundemental, you’re hearing the upper harmonics and your brain goes “oh I guess there’s a bass down there” and fills in the blanks. It’s why a punchy kick drum sound has a satisfying hi end click to it.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 13, 2018

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Horse with No Name

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
HOW DO I PLAY WITH DUDES WITHOUT TOO MUCH PREP TIME, REHEARSALS OR SKILLS?
I thought about replying/quoting certain posts but there's too many, so here's a short answer to the "How do I jam with people if I'm not that great but want to do solos and don't have time to do too much practice ps I want to play downtuned dub core shoe gaze old wave screamo."

Let's break this down into bullets:
- How do rock out with people
- I'm not that great yet but I want to do solos
- Don't have time to do too much practice/rehearsals
- and I'll really want to play a kind of music that not very many people do around here.

Open Blues Jams (at bars in your town) will solve all of those problems except for the last bullet, but hear me out.

No wait don't skip over the rest of my post! Wait!

Blues is (one of) the roots of all modern rock and roll, and has expanded to include jazz, fusion, screamo turd funk pop EDM new romantic whatever.

Now, I know it's not metal, there's no core, but you can find your solo skills with a group of musicians who are on your level, or in some cases, amazing (During that first year I got up and sang with a full horn section backing me and I almost shat my pants, YES, singing Sweet Home Chicago but who cares I had a 4-piece horn section!).

Blues guitar (in the blues jam world) extends across everything from lovely cliche poo poo with Chuck Berry solos, on out to Jazzy or heavy distorted Yngvie solos; when it's your solo, you're open to whatever style you want to punch into your 24 bars.

Check the nearest big city, see if they have a website for their blues society, see if they've posted where the open blues jams are. Go sit and watch a couple times before you get up and play, (or just jump in). Bring your pointy headstock bright green dragon-tail carved nightmare guitar and do you.

BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE: DO NOT suggest a song that is NOT standard 12-bar blues, ("Everybody know Highway to Hell?" trust me no they loving do not, they KNOW it, but they don't KNOW KNOW it). Just stick to the basics. If you sing too, hey you get to call whatever blues song you want and even can write your own lyrics who cares.

It's a great place to go build up your chops with a ready-made assembled band of musicians who can hopefully all pick up whatever you want to play, as long as it's got 12 bars and a turnaround. In return, you'll learn a lot about song structure, dynamics, leading/following in a band, and hopefully find other like-minded fools who are willing to get up and play some of your Emo-down-tuned-dub-stomp at some point.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It

massive spider posted:

The way it was explained to me is this: the ear is shaped like a trumpet full of hairs, high frequency detecting hairs at the front and low frequency detecting hairs at the back.

This means that in general the ear is really lovely at detecting bass. A sound needs to be hitting the ears at a certain volume level to even activate those low frequency hairs. Meanwhile those high detecting hairs are getting blasted (and dying, leaving you with tinnitus as your body attempts to crank up the gain to compensate).

As an upshot of this, the secret to mixing a good bass sound lies in the upper frequencies. Since the ear is so bad at discerning detail or pitch in bass tones (and many sound systems are poo poo at reproducing them, bass waves are just a hassle all round) a lot of the time when you hear a bass line you’re not actually hearing the fundemental, you’re hearing the upper harmonics and your brain goes “oh I guess there’s a bass down there” and fills in the blanks. It’s why a punchy kick drum sound has a satisfying hi end click to it.

The ear is very good at detecting sounds at around 2000 Hz. That's why when you look at the equal loudness graph its kind of a U shape as the raw SPL of a low pitched (and very high pitched) sound needs to be higher for a person to perceive the sound.

The equal loudness contours also show that as you increase the volume the U shape starts to become more shallow. I guess you can argue that when you get to a flatter range then you're getting more low frequencies and high frequencies making the sound possibly perceived as fuller. However, I kind of doubt that. If that were the case then you can just set an EQ to match that at low intensities and then you'd have equal sound quality at different intensities.

When you hear a loud sound, your balance system is also affected. The balance system of the ear and the hearing system share the same real estate. So there's a physical sensation of acceleration that can accompany loud sounds and I think that's part of it.

I think attention is another part of it. The greater the signal you want to listen to, the more favorable the signal-to-noise ratio becomes. So you get to drone out small environmental sounds like the AC vents. This might lead to a more immersive experience.

Psychoacoustics is a very nutty field and the sensation of hearing isn't too well understood. There are a lot of little perceptual tricks like the brain filling in missing pieces.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

magnificent7 posted:

It's a great place to go build up your chops with a ready-made assembled band of musicians who can hopefully all pick up whatever you want to play, as long as it's got 12 bars and a turnaround. In return, you'll learn a lot about song structure, dynamics, leading/following in a band, and hopefully find other like-minded fools who are willing to get up and play some of your Emo-down-tuned-dub-stomp at some point.

Exactly. I remember when I was younger I was at a blues/jazz bar in Asheville NC (move there if you can) and there were three guitarists, bass, keyboard and drums on stage. Some really white collar looking dude came up and played a harmonica solo, I took him to be the only "jammer" that night. I remember asking one of the guitarists how often the band rehearsed -- never, he told me. He casually said those turnarounds and bridges they added in were just "basic blues" stuff. It was Duane Allman-worship that night, not for everybody, but it helped me appreciate that playing music is just a language you gotta learn and speak with others. If the instructional materials and a home studio satisfy you, fine, but sometimes that next rung you're reaching for in terms of abilities is best reached for on a stage.

Idk I could write mushy stories like this all day, just want to inspire y'all to be fearless and get out there with your geetars if you can.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 13, 2018

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah going onstage is where you really learn what your actually capable of pulling off. It’s the culmination of all the years of practice to me. I know a few people who say they only really play for themselves and don’t have the desire to play in front of a crowd, but I never believe them.

Stage fright is a hell of a thing, I remember we had a tryout at a jam night and it was the first time I ever left the basement. We were trying to get our first paying gig ever and they wanted to hear how we sounded before they booked us for a 4 hour time slot. I remember the people playing before we went up were pretty good and I got this sick feeling in my stomach. I had alarm bells going off in my head and I had to steel myself a bit to keep from just going home to save myself the embarrassment. Anyway I nutted up and we played 4-5 songs and we got the gig. It gave us a foot in the door for every other gig we ever booked and we established a base pay of 400$ plus free booze for the band for a string of 40+ shows over a 2-3 year stretch.

The best part about it is that looking back in hindsight we were pretty terrible overall and still put on a good enough show to draw a crowd and get paid to play music. If you haven’t put yourself out there yet you really should force yourself to do it a few times. Start going to a jam night and talking to the guys hosting it. I’m hopefully about to start taking my own advice here again in a few weeks. I’m playing and singing by myself now instead of just playing lead guitar in the old band. I feel like I’m starting over again a bit, singing in front of people gives me way more anxiety than jamming leads ever has.

Harton fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 13, 2018

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I used to play in a reggae band mostly of older guys who’d been doing it since the 80s. It was educational because they were now semi pros who’d worked with some big names. They would book 1 single rehearsal the day 2 days before the gig, then only actually use half the booked time and go home early. Everything else that happened on the gig was made up.

With reggae that’s even easier than blues though, the drummer and bassist do all the work, as a guitarist my job was basically a glorified hi hat rhythm instrument.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Okay, question. When I hear a melody or play one back in my head I have awful issues figuring out the way the notes rise and fall. It drives me crazy not being able to picture where the notes fall on a guitar or piano (I don’t play the latter as much but it’s easier to visualize a flowing melody on keys imo). This just means I need to buckle down on interval training, yeah? If so, any recommended apps I could get to work on this every now and then throughout the day? I’ve tried a few but I never cared for them for long.

The problem legitimately drives me crazy sometimes because I have this thing about trying to do it in my head when I get an ear worm. Not being able to is like having a itch in my bones that I can never reach to scratch.

Someday we should collab over the internet :)

For what it's worth - I'veb een playing guitar for quite a while but have only always ever used tabs. I pretty much have the same problem as you, i.e. not a good intuition for where notes are. A thing that's really helping me right now is learning solos and instrumental sections for songs I like BY EAR. I don't allow myself to look at tabs at all these days. It really gets easier with time.

I tried many times in the past and could never get it right, but this time it seems like it's happening, and it really helps with developing my intuition; now I'm much faster at picking up stuff on the spot.

Get yourself Amazing Slow Downer. Get a song down to 30% speed, and just try to figure out what you're hearing on your instrument. At that speed, you can just pause after every note, sing it to yourself then match it on the guitar. It sucks at first, but if you keep pushing you'll calibrate yourself.

edit : it also somehow helps with memorization. If i look at a tab, 10 minutes later it's gone. But the solo I worked through 2 weeks ago? Still remember it note for note.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 13, 2018

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

maybe this is a super stupid question but is there any meaningful sound difference between gibson double cuts and les pauls? or maybe being more straight forward, is there something that sounds like a double cut on the epiphone line.

the two sounds i'm interested in impersonating are like, the early shins, super bright sound - it wasn't played on a double cut initially, but james mercer has played one for a loooong time now and it sounds pretty faithful to the albums. but i also like the super dirty, crunchy weezer tone (rivers played gibsons in the studio, usually an LP jr), and the trademark fragile pixies/doolittle tone, done on a vanilla LP.

i've been looking at fenders because they're kinda the most famous (and not as in total corporate shambles as gibson to my eyes) but the more i think about it, the tones i'm inspired by are coming out of gibson/styled guitars. is there any epiphone that can cover all of these squares? or at least like, establish a little settlement in all of those squares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Colonel J posted:

For what it's worth - I'veb een playing guitar for quite a while but have only always ever used tabs. I pretty much have the same problem as you, i.e. not a good intuition for where notes are. A thing that's really helping me right now is learning solos and instrumental sections for songs I like BY EAR. I don't allow myself to look at tabs at all these days. It really gets easier with time.

I tried many times in the past and could never get it right, but this time it seems like it's happening, and it really helps with developing my intuition; now I'm much faster at picking up stuff on the spot.

Get yourself Amazing Slow Downer. Get a song down to 30% speed, and just try to figure out what you're hearing on your instrument. At that speed, you can just pause after every note, sing it to yourself then match it on the guitar. It sucks at first, but if you keep pushing you'll calibrate yourself.

edit : it also somehow helps with memorization. If i look at a tab, 10 minutes later it's gone. But the solo I worked through 2 weeks ago? Still remember it note for note.

But that’s effort!!!!!!

Nah that’s pretty much what I expected. Most of the time it’s non guitar music like melodies in movie/tv scores too and the tabs are never accurate for those in the first place.