Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

My other pet peeve is that I’m still watching Batman vs Superman.

This movie is long as poo poo!

If you have to suffer through it, at least watch the extended edition. It explains a shitton more of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rolo posted:

My other pet peeve is that I’m still watching Batman vs Superman.

This movie is long as poo poo!
I watched it when I was high. It felt like the Jaunt.

CaptainViolence posted:

my favorite for mockumentary crews is definitely trailer park boys because at one point the sound guy gets shot and the rest of the crew keeps doing their thing and goddamn if that wasn't a great metaphor for my brief experience as a sound guy.
again, I'd like to direct you towards Man Bites Dog. They go through sound guys like Spinal Tap through drummers.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Bit late but it irritated me that Interstellar starts off with a Band of Brothers-style documentary format with olds saying "I remember the dust bowl" that is quickly abandoned after 5 minutes.

Also the end is dumb.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nexus6 posted:

Bit late but it irritated me that Interstellar starts off with a Band of Brothers-style documentary format with olds saying "I remember the dust bowl" that is quickly abandoned after 5 minutes.

Also the end is dumb.

I... Did you watch the whole thing? That beginning was fully explained at the end

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Parks and Recreation also acknowledges the camera quite often. There isn't any reason for cameras to be there, but everyone knows they are, and somehow manages to never adjust their behavior. It's sort of a weird thing where they know they're being watched, but don't care.

Comstar posted:

So, what was the payoff?

What We Do in the Shadows spoiler: The monsters at the masquerade realize the camera crew is human and try to eat them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Arrested Development also flip flopped on whether the characters knew they were being watched depending on if it would be funny or not (like the crew getting blocked from entering a courtroom).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I'm really late to the game, but in ready player one at the end the bit with the key was extremely irritating. Stop trying to go for the slow dramatic grab and unlocking and just snatch the loving thing already.

also this movie sucks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If you have to suffer through it, at least watch the extended edition. It explains a shitton more of the plot.

I hate this with passion, this movie that insults every fiber of my being. What would be a good idea oh I know making it longer

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

I... Did you watch the whole thing? That beginning was fully explained at the end

If you'd already checked out by that point it would be easy to miss, it's really just like a 5 second clip that shows you where that voiceover was coming from.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

just because it was explained doesnt mean that starting with it and then abandoning it was good

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ant Man and the Wasp They manage to save the mother and she conveniently has enough quantum power control to save Ghost's life. I guess it would have been a pretty depressing ending if Ghost ended up dying, but it felt like such a copout when the whole movie was building up to the decision to save the mom or Ghost.

Also she spent literally decades in the quantum realm in complete isolation and psychologically completely okay? People have spent less time in solitary confinement coming out worse

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RBA Starblade posted:

Was there ever a show done in that faux-documentary style where they acknowledged the "film crew" at all, or one of them reacts to something happening or something?

Reno 911!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Away all Goats posted:

Ant Man and the Wasp They manage to save the mother and she conveniently has enough quantum power control to save Ghost's life. I guess it would have been a pretty depressing ending if Ghost ended up dying, but it felt like such a copout when the whole movie was building up to the decision to save the mom or Ghost.

Also she spent literally decades in the quantum realm in complete isolation and psychologically completely okay? People have spent less time in solitary confinement coming out worse

Bit of an explanation for that, they say a few times that in the quantum realm, time and space don't act like we're used to. It's entirely possible it felt like a week or two for her, we dunno cause she never mentions it, just something about evolution or something about how she's different. She's a changed lady. Unfortunately she's now dust as well :smith:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You'd think Hank Pym and Wasp would have a billion questions but they don't.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bit of an explanation for that, they say a few times that in the quantum realm, time and space don't act like we're used to. It's entirely possible it felt like a week or two for her, we dunno cause she never mentions it, just something about evolution or something about how she's different. She's a changed lady. Unfortunately she's now dust as well :smith:

She said something like "I spent 30 years thinking about the problem" which I guess doesn't necessarily it felt like 30 years. She could have just learned that it was 30 years from Scott

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

He figures it out at lexs charity gala

How do you mean? If you mean him turning to see Bruce walk out during the speech, so had Wonder woman and the Asian lady working for Luthor. It's not like Alfered, in his ear, said 'the transfer of the data leech is complete, bruce wayne who is THE BAT.' For all Superman knows, Bruce is a danglewang doing some corporate espionage.

Also is it a subtle movie moment where the Ancient Grecian temple model pushed by two caterers blocked Bruce from catching up to Bruce Wayne? Because that's pretty neat.

Byzantine posted:

Justice League:

The Greek gods fighting an alien invasion is the movie I would make if given a blank check. So I got to see just a snippet of the idea in action before it went back to the mess of a movie.

The Amazonian island whose name I cannot type out properly? Hell yeah. Just Amazonians beating up bad aliens like they're all simultaneous protagonists of a DOOM movie. I wish there'd be a movie about its founding. Sure we know they went there after a ton of fighting and the current Queen's girdle(?) or something was stolen. But after they get to the island, what then? How'd they get the current establishment?

Show me a montage of hot buff ladies building stuff like houses and goat pens and working out is what I'm begging for basically.

I... I might do this. I just want to know more poo poo and maybe then it will make sense and I'll stop being mad about stupid garbage movies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mu Zeta posted:

You'd think Hank Pym and Wasp would have a billion questions but they don't.

I am sure they go into it between Hank and Janet setting up their beach house and the after credits stinger.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh it's still a poo poo movie, it just answers a lot of the weird poo poo that the theatrical cut doesn't, like "why does everyone think Superman killed all these people when they were all shot?" and "why didn't he see the bomb?" and has Clark actually doing reporter stuff.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Henchman of Santa posted:

Arrested Development also flip flopped on whether the characters knew they were being watched depending on if it would be funny or not (like the crew getting blocked from entering a courtroom).

Yeah, Arrested Development would just do whatever they thought was funniest. Cameraman tripping on a step or using security footage, but also a fake live ending or the narrator making Ron Howard jokes.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I just watched Sicario: Day of the Soldado and my IIMM is when gear is improperly used. The easiest example is the body armor everybody uses. First off, you could see there is no actual armor plates in the body armor (it conforms too easily to the body than if there was a physical plate in the carrier). Second, the vests are not adjusted for maximum protection. Most of the time the vests are too low; on a properly-fitted plate carrier the top of the plate should line up with the collarbones. The whole point of body armor plates is to protect the heart & lungs, which are a priority over the abdomen.

Another example is in Battle: Los Angeles. Early in the movie you see Marines running around with backpacks. It’s kind of clear that the bags are stuffed with light material (my guess is packing peanuts) to fill them out, so they bounce around a lot more than a bag filled with what a real Marine would have with them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Android Apocalypse posted:

Another example is in Battle: Los Angeles. Early in the movie you see Marines running around with backpacks. It’s kind of clear that the bags are stuffed with light material (my guess is packing peanuts) to fill them out, so they bounce around a lot more than a bag filled with what a real Marine would have with them.

???

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

she’s got a cloak and a spear when Hank finds her. I think that’s intended, at least somewhere in the production process, to be an indicator that she was in the Microverse. Chillin’ with Baron Karza and all that. And by chillin’, I mean fighting him in some sort of Fury Road type scenario like in the old comics. That’s what I took away from that, at least.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

CaptainCrunch posted:

she’s got a cloak and a spear when Hank finds her. I think that’s intended, at least somewhere in the production process, to be an indicator that she was in the Microverse. Chillin’ with Baron Karza and all that. And by chillin’, I mean fighting him in some sort of Fury Road type scenario like in the old comics. That’s what I took away from that, at least.

On the topic of supershrinking in the MCU: I'm wondering if maybe it's a hint more to this, which might be a bit easier to legally weave into the films in the future since it has some ties already to the existing MCU roster.
Jarella.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I just watched some british horror movie called Ghost Stories. Every time a writer wants to pull the lamest twist in the book (he was in a coma the whole time) they should be fired and barred from writing professionally ever again. What a waste of time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Not related to anything in particular right now, but a pretty common thing in cheesy movies about finding a lost fortune or a ridiculous inheritance condition likes to negate the victory by having the fortune be in Confederate money. Scooby-Doo used it once. Of course, the standard rebuttal is that Confederate money is probably worth more than its face value nowadays, or at least a lot of money, to collectors. The film Sahara involves finding a lost ironclad in the Sahara desert (presumably a long story behind that one) with a stockpile of never-issued gold Confederate coins that are worth a fortune for their historical value as well as material.

Any movies ever play with that? An episode of Archer involves the crew ending up with three duffel bags full of counterfeit bills, which Cyril (belatedly) notes they could still sell for about 75 cents to the dollar to any of the organised crime groups they're in contact with.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It is worth a lot of money, far more than its face value in good condition, but if you found a shitload of it it would quickly lose its value once you flood the market with it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I just watched some british horror movie called Ghost Stories. Every time a writer wants to pull the lamest twist in the book (he was in a coma the whole time) they should be fired and barred from writing professionally ever again. What a waste of time.

People getting information via dream sequence. Batman v Superman does this, and it's pointless too. Batman's already decided to kill Superman, but then he has a dream/vision of Superman taking over the world, and is like "Now I REALLY have to kill him." Dude, it's a loving dream.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Movies that cast people way too old to be the age range they are trying to act as. Like I'm fine with an early 20s actor portraying a highschool student, but in this movie Party Bus to Hell, they are supposed to be college aged young adults on the way to burning man and who do they cast...tara reid. Maybe 10 years ago she could have passed as a college kid with enough makeup but she's in her 40s now, I don't buy it. Also she's really really bad at pretending to stab someone with a machete.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Davros1 posted:

People getting information via dream sequence. Batman v Superman does this, and it's pointless too. Batman's already decided to kill Superman, but then he has a dream/vision of Superman taking over the world, and is like "Now I REALLY have to kill him." Dude, it's a loving dream.

It's supposed to be a confused vision of a Darkseid-conquered Earth, I think, and in general a strange sequence that Batman can't really understand so he just takes a confirmation of his existing course from it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah the one in BvS is a setup for the sequel that Batman is misinterpreting because hes too focused on killing Superman at the moment. Its almost the exact opposite where it is both informative to both the narrative and informative to character development.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It's still the dumb idea of "I had a dream, it MUST be telling me something. It must be REAL, because I dreamed it!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole intro of the movie is Batman having what amounts to a dream sequence of being elevated by bats. Dude's got issues.

The part where they basically interrupt the movie to play trailers for spinoffs complete with logos is dumb, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Davros1 posted:

It's still the dumb idea of "I had a dream, it MUST be telling me something. It must be REAL, because I dreamed it!"

Except in the movie Batman doesnt view it as any more real than the other three dreams he has in the movie, just recognitions of who he is as a hosed up person. He doesnt wake up and go “better watch out for Supermans parademon army!” He just keeps doing what he was doing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dream Sequences/Visions are still an infuriating way to convey information. It's also lazy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How else do you put post modernist symbolism into movies and shows though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mu Zeta posted:

How else do you put post modernist symbolism into movies and shows though.

Drugs?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The only movie that used dreams effectively was the nightmare on elm street movies. Every other one is just a lame excuse for exposition and/or a jump scare.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The only movie that used dreams effectively was the nightmare on elm street movies. Every other one is just a lame excuse for exposition and/or a jump scare.

Yeah, if the movie is specifically about dreams, (Elm St, Inception, Dreamscape) then their use is fine. Using it as an info dump is poor writing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every critic seems to jerk off to the dream episodes in Sopranos and The Leftovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

In movies where ancient beings come back to life like Queen of the Damned, where do they get their outdated-by-a couple thousand years wardrobe? It's not like you can stop by a thrift shop and buy some ancient egyptian clothes.