Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
My next positive review will also be a defence of the POTUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

My next positive review will also be a defence of the POTUS
You're doing Art of the Deal? I take back everything bad I've ever said about you, including the racist stuff.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015
I like bad books but this thread is cool. May i request something by Zelazny? Lord of Light would be a great one to see teared apart.

Also i'm ignorant about literary circles but in my country i always see Margaret Atwood (only read Oryx and Crake) portrayed as a serious non-genre author, and her books are highly regarded.
It's not that way in the anglo world?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

I like bad books but this thread is cool. May i request something by Zelazny? Lord of Light would be a great one to see teared apart.

Also i'm ignorant about literary circles but in my country i always see Margaret Atwood (only read Oryx and Crake) portrayed as a serious non-genre author, and her books are highly regarded.

Somewhat relevant: http://www.sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/mainstream_writers_of_sf

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Would have figured you'd go for M John Harrison given your username

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Gorn Myson posted:

Would have figured you'd go for M John Harrison given your username

Someone who knows the word!!!

I thought about it but i recently read Lord of Light and i really liked it, so it seemed a better target.

Kefahuchi_son!!!
Apr 23, 2015

Thanks, my mind went to similar concepts when asking.

But i was also thinking about some sort of hipothetical distinction between literary writers and writers who get glowing reviews from specialized publications.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BotL what do you think about Gene Wolfe? I recently finished Book of the New Sun and thought it was pretty incredible. Hard to find anyone with a negative view of his work.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
thats the one where at one point a guy rides by a griffin while fingerbanging a naked valkyrie or something, yeah?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
sounds awful

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Ccs posted:

BotL what do you think about Gene Wolfe? I recently finished Book of the New Sun and thought it was pretty incredible. Hard to find anyone with a negative view of his work.

I just finished this and yeah that would be interesting. I don’t think it escapes the genre ghetto like others claim since at the end of the day it’s got apple goofy poo poo and has plenty of genre tropes but it manages to tell a complete story in fewer pages than the average GRRM doorstop.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

thats the one where at one point a guy rides by a griffin while fingerbanging a naked valkyrie or something, yeah?

Wasn’t that in Heavy Metal?

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 13, 2018

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Book of the New Sun is good because it has time traveling cyborgs and flying saucers and laserguns but it also has the good taste to have a narrator who doesn't realize any of that stuff is weird so he doesn't bother describing or even giving much of a poo poo about any of it.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

if only he'd had the good taste to not write any of it down

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
There’s always going to be books about aliens.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
The second time I read Book of the New Sun and read that early scene when Severian's in the library and he was describing a picture and I realized it was the famous photo of Buzz Aldrin on the moon with Earth framed in the background... mindblowing barely captures it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Holy poo poo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Truly it must have been as if you were on the road to Damascus

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Truly it must have been as if you were on the road to Damascus

I think our standards for personal revelation can meet somewhere in the middle of a mind-expanding reframing what I thought books were capable of and actual Divine Revelation

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
if that was all it took to reframe your idea of what books are capable of you're gonna lose your fuckin mind when you read literally any other book

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah a favorite bit of mine was how it can be read like a fantasy book but the sci-fi aspects aren't really hidden. They're there from the beginning, it's just that Severian doesn't have the context to describe them in ways that would make us clearly see them as sci-fi.

And that's all secondary to the labyrinthine allusions and cosmology that Severian sometimes grasps but mostly just relates without ever understanding his role in the story. You're left wondering whether the book is religious in nature or if the religious epiphanies that the protagonist has are due to his interaction with natural forces far beyond his understanding.

A reason why I think it's be interesting to hear BotL try to criticize it is because of the wealth of academic criticism (compared to most sci-fi/fantasy books) that exist for BotNS:

https://www.amazon.ca/Between-Light-Shadow-Exploration-Fiction-ebook/dp/B011YTDGY2

https://www.amazon.com/Attending-Daedalus-Artifice-Liverpool-University/dp/B005Q7GMRW

https://www.amazon.ca/Solar-Labyrinth-Exploring-Gene-Wolfes/dp/0595317294

If BotL can read Book of the New Sun and come up with a compelling reason as to why all of these critics are wasting their time trying to analyze a bad piece of literature, that would be interesting to read. It would mean he's a really smart critic. And if he actually enjoys the books, great! It means Gene Wolfe really is that good.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

book of the poo sun

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

if that was all it took to reframe your idea of what books are capable of you're gonna lose your fuckin mind when you read literally any other book

Most books are bad.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Ccs posted:

a compelling reason as to why all of these critics are wasting their time

porfiria posted:

it has time traveling cyborgs and flying saucers and laserguns

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ehh, Wolfe is basically the same as ghormenghast and y'all loved that poo poo

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Hamlet has ghosts in it, supposedly (I can't read).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What no

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

How so?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ccs posted:

Yeah a favorite bit of mine was how it can be read like a fantasy book but the sci-fi aspects aren't really hidden. They're there from the beginning, it's just that Severian doesn't have the context to describe them in ways that would make us clearly see them as sci-fi.

And that's all secondary to the labyrinthine allusions and cosmology that Severian sometimes grasps but mostly just relates without ever understanding his role in the story. You're left wondering whether the book is religious in nature or if the religious epiphanies that the protagonist has are due to his interaction with natural forces far beyond his understanding.

A reason why I think it's be interesting to hear BotL try to criticize it is because of the wealth of academic criticism (compared to most sci-fi/fantasy books) that exist for BotNS:

https://www.amazon.ca/Between-Light-Shadow-Exploration-Fiction-ebook/dp/B011YTDGY2

https://www.amazon.com/Attending-Daedalus-Artifice-Liverpool-University/dp/B005Q7GMRW

If BotL can read Book of the New Sun and come up with a compelling reason as to why all of these critics are wasting their time trying to analyze a bad piece of literature, that would be interesting to read. It would mean he's a really smart critic. And if he actually enjoys the books, great! It means Gene Wolfe really is that good.

Critics analyse bad books all the time, do you not know what criticism is for?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ccs posted:

theres a lot of academic criticism for a lot of genre poo poo, dude. that doesnt make it serious reading. Barthes analyzed cereal boxes; that doesn't make cereal boxes high art.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ccs posted:

How so?

Mervyn Peake and Gene Wolfe are both authors who use the trappings of the fantasy genre to play with baroque language. Ghormenghast is more of a study in setting, whereas Wolfe tends to focus more on layered unreliable narrators, but both appeal far more to the "literary" crowd than they do to the average genre fantasy reader.

To say the same thing from another angle, typical genre fantasy is about pacing and narrative first, everything else second. Peake and Wolfe aren't about that -- they're crafting baroque puzzles, not just telling stories.

Peake and Wolfe are both about artifice. Wolfe is crafter of intricate puzzles and Peake is about huge sprawling edifices but they're both all about lavishing intricately detailed prose on the reader.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 14, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
no one has clarified whether or not the fingerbanging valkyrie scene actually takes place in the novel

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think the point is content doesn't preclude quality--although I don't think Gormeghast has Trolls or Dragons in it. Beowulf does though (allegedly).

no one has clarified whether or not the fingerbanging valkyrie scene actually takes place in the novel

I think there is fingerbanging and there are some weird mutant battle angel things mentioned at one point but they aren't fingerbanged afaik.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
close enough thanks

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
A Christmas Carol has ghosts in it.

High art, low art, and genre are all sucker words.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mervyn Peake and Gene Wolfe are both authors who use the trappings of the fantasy genre to play with baroque language. Ghormenghast is more of a study in setting, whereas Wolfe tends to focus more on layered unreliable narrators, but both appeal far more to the "literary" crowd than they do to the average genre fantasy reader.

To say the same thing from another angle, typical genre fantasy is about pacing and narrative first, everything else second. Peake and Wolfe aren't about that -- they're crafting baroque puzzles, not just telling stories.

Peake and Wolfe are both about artifice. Wolfe is crafter of intricate puzzles and Peake is about huge sprawling edifices but they're both all about lavishing intricately detailed prose on the reader.

BotNS also takes a lot from Ghormenghast in setting. The empty rituals and decayed institutions of the Commonwealth seem pretty obviously influenced by Peake.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I'd say this is fair. BotNS is packed full of goofy genre tropes (looking at you man-apes) and its core plot is a standard male power fantasy. The difference is that it's supposedly written by the main character who's writing it to be self-aggrandizing but is surprisingly dumb and also a tremendously monstrous and lovely person so it's all about unpacking what's really going on in the story. I liked it a lot but at the end of day it's still a genre book with a different approach no matter how Wolfe talks about loving Proust.

Edit: The series also has some of the worst cover art I've ever seen:

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 14, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Shark Sandwich posted:

I'd say this is fair. BotNS is packed full of goofy genre tropes (looking at you man-apes) and its core plot is a standard male power fantasy. The difference is that it's supposedly written by the main character who's writing it to be self-aggrandizing but is surprisingly dumb and also a tremendously monstrous and lovely person so it's all about unpacking what's really going on in the story. I liked it a lot but at the end of day it's still a genre book with a different approach no matter how Wolfe talks about loving Proust.

That's also fair.

Wolfe's other (non-BotNS) work has a really wide range. There's the Latro historical-fiction series ; I just read his The Sorceror's House a few days ago, which basically his riff on modern "weird-rear end house" fiction, and last book of his I read before that was The Land Across which is just straight fiction with few if any genre elements at all. He's a weird dude; none of his stuff is my favorite but I never regret reading his stuff and it always sticks in my head afterwards. I think most of the folks in this thread would probably like his stuff if they could get past the genre hurdle.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shark Sandwich posted:

Edit: The series also has some of the worst cover art I've ever seen:

This image is missing is "From Levels 4-8!" and the TSR logo.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

A Christmas Carol has ghosts in it.

High art, low art, and genre are all sucker words.

the bible has ghosts in it you loving dunce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

That's nonsense. Peake doesn't play with "trappings of the fantasy genre". He wrote Dickensian Gothic.