Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I finally moved to a city that has a library with Hoopla. I am amazed at the selection of comics they have. Comixology is going to get less of my money going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

I finally moved to a city that has a library with Hoopla. I am amazed at the selection of comics they have. Comixology is going to get less of my money going forward.

I'm a lifelong comic fan and a librarian. I've been singing Hoopla's praises for a few years now.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Marvel Unlimited is running one of their usual offers: $0.02 for your first month. The code is good for another week or two.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Superior foes of Spiderman is on sale, go get them.

https://www.comixology.eu/Marvel-Nick-Spencer-Sale/page/19056

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SDCC sales at Comixology

60% off everything DC (minus the last two weeks' comics)
Image BOGO https://www.comixology.com/Image-Buy-One-Get-One-Sale/page/19020
50% off Viz Shonen Jump Manga https://www.comixology.com/Shonen-Manga-Coupon/page/19025
Marvel collections https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Best-Selling-Collections-Sale/page/19054
IDW collections https://www.comixology.com/IDW-Graphic-Novels-Sale/page/19019
Humanoids Jodorowski https://www.comixology.com/Jodorowsky-Sale/page/18917

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gently caress I keep buying poo poo.

Viz = One-Punch man which i really can’t recommend enough. The art on it is insane and it’s simultaneously such a fun and badass book.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
EC Comics, Eerie, and Creepy collections are like 4 bucks each right now at ComiXology. All good stuff.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Maybe I’m missing something but how would the DCBOGO be a better value than the previous 60% off?

Just wondering how to get the best out of the sales I already spend too much on.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Sadly, I think the BOGO/60% deal is over. I’m pretty sure it ended last night. Which sucks because I totally slept on it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

hup posted:

Sadly, I think the BOGO/60% deal is over. I’m pretty sure it ended last night. Which sucks because I totally slept on it.

Naw they put up the BOGO deal as soon as the 60% deal was over. It's some silly timing to immediately transition into a weaker deal.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Would be horribly infuriating/funny if they had done it the other way around though. :v:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/debaoki/status/1021099234227965952?s=19

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
any good dc comics series came out in the past two or so years?

any dc sales worth mentioning?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The only one on right now is for Teen Titans.
https://www.comixology.com/Teen-Titans-Go-Sale/page/19122

I like the Perez/Wolfman era, but your mileage may vary on the 80's.
I dug Jeff Lemire's two TT:Earth One graphic novels. Those are out of continuity re-imaginings, so no need to read up on anything else.
The Silver Age trade is a good deal if you can do old, old comics.

As for series overall, I guess you're looking for stuff from the 2016 Rebirth relaunch on.

'(pre-Bendis relaunch) Superman' (skip Action Comics except for crossover), 'Wonder Woman', 'Detective Comics', 'Green Arrow', 'The Flash', 'Super Sons' (if you're digging the kid Superboy from 'Superman') and 'New Super-Man' are real solid, easy to recommend core titles.
Tom King's 'Batman' has incredible highs and stuff people can't stand in pretty equal measure. Tricky to recommend or dismiss. There's an in-continuity crossover with Elmer Fudd there that's one of their all-time best comics, if you can believe it.
'Justice League' was terrible to begin with, but is quality from #34 on with Christopher Priest and now Scott Snyder.

For some more 'out there', esoteric stuff: 'Deathstroke', 'Mister Miracle', and all of the 'Young Animal' line
edit: and Mark Russell's scathing-social-commentary-disguised-as-licensed-kiddie-comics series, 'The Flintstones' and 'The Snagglepuss Chronicles', if we can count those.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 29, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Teen Titans sale also has the Peter David Young Justice trades on sale.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Teenage Fansub posted:

The only one on right now is for Teen Titans.
https://www.comixology.com/Teen-Titans-Go-Sale/page/19122

I like the Perez/Wolfman era, but your mileage may vary on the 80's.
I dug Jeff Lemire's two TT:Earth One graphic novels. Those are out of continuity re-imaginings, so no need to read up on anything else.
The Silver Age trade is a good deal if you can do old, old comics.

As for series overall, I guess you're looking for stuff from the 2016 Rebirth relaunch on.

'(pre-Bendis relaunch) Superman' (skip Action Comics except for crossover), 'Wonder Woman', 'Detective Comics', 'Green Arrow', 'The Flash', 'Super Sons' (if you're digging the kid Superboy from 'Superman') and 'New Super-Man' are real solid, easy to recommend core titles.
Tom King's 'Batman' has incredible highs and stuff people can't stand in pretty equal measure. Tricky to recommend or dismiss. There's an in-continuity crossover with Elmer Fudd there that's one of their all-time best comics, if you can believe it.
'Justice League' was terrible to begin with, but is quality from #34 on with Christopher Priest and now Scott Snyder.

For some more 'out there', esoteric stuff: 'Deathstroke', 'Mister Miracle', and all of the 'Young Animal' line
edit: and Mark Russell's scathing-social-commentary-disguised-as-licensed-kiddie-comics series, 'The Flintstones' and 'The Snagglepuss Chronicles', if we can count those.

Thanks, yeah I haven't checked out DC since the latest relaunch.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a good Perfect Viewer equivalent for iOS, specifically for the iPad pro? I really like how no-muss-no-fuss it is.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Trying to download comicsfrom comixology on my android,poo poo is slower than molasses, and you can't pause it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

fadam posted:

Is there a good Perfect Viewer equivalent for iOS, specifically for the iPad pro? I really like how no-muss-no-fuss it is.

I've been messing around with this lately too. The one I use right now is Comic Book Reader (yeah i know, unique name
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comics-book-reader/id1056129062?mt=8

It syncs up with Dropbox, which was a big plus for me. I know there is a free version with some ads and a paid version, but i do not recall what the paid price is.

edit: pro version is $5.99. I'm suing for a while longer to see if if its worth it before dropping the money.

If anyone else has any better suggestions, I'm all ears.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 16, 2018

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

enigmahfc posted:

I've been messing around with this lately too. The one I use right now is Comic Book Reader (yeah i know, unique name
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/comics-book-reader/id1056129062?mt=8

It syncs up with Dropbox, which was a big plus for me. I know there is a free version with some ads and a paid version, but i do not recall what the paid price is.

edit: pro version is $5.99. I'm suing for a while longer to see if if its worth it before dropping the money.

If anyone else has any better suggestions, I'm all ears.

I like Chunky Reader on IOS, it's great for reading and its the best reader I've used for downloading comics from OneDrive/Drop Box.

The developer is working on a new reader (Chunky TNG) that allows you to browse your entire library with covers from a cloud drive / opds server and then stream the comics, with an option to download for offline reading. It's still in testing at the moment but once it's released it will be the best reader on any tablet IMO, especially if you store your comics in OneDrive/Google Drive/Drop Box.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Dsmif posted:

I like Chunky Reader on IOS, it's great for reading and its the best reader I've used for downloading comics from OneDrive/Drop Box.

The developer is working on a new reader (Chunky TNG) that allows you to browse your entire library with covers from a cloud drive / opds server and then stream the comics, with an option to download for offline reading. It's still in testing at the moment but once it's released it will be the best reader on any tablet IMO, especially if you store your comics in OneDrive/Google Drive/Drop Box.

It's Ipad only :(. Great or the dude above, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Green Arrow sale on, including Jeff Lemire's whole run for $6.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

enigmahfc posted:

It's Ipad only :(. Great or the dude above, though.

The new app is for iPhone as well. Not sure when it will release though.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Kurtofan posted:

Trying to download comicsfrom comixology on my android,poo poo is slower than molasses, and you can't pause it.

I stopped using the app for this exact reason and now just use the web browser on my tablet.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Any good stuff? I'm a total Green Arrow newbie.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Quite a bit.
Green Arrow/Green Lantern, the weird 'socially conscious' 70's run.
I haven't read it yet, but Mike Grell's The Longbow Hunters + ongoing is acclaimed, as are Kevin Smith's run (I think?) and Diggle's Year One.
I can fully recommend that big Jeff Lemire trade. It's a great deal. It starts at New 52 #17, but you definitely don't need the issues before it. Actively avoid those.
The Rebirth series as far as those trades go is pretty good. Great art.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

fadam posted:

Have you played with Yet Another Comic Reader? I've only played with it on my sister's iPad since I'm Android, but it has "stream directly from PC" functionality that I crave on my tablet and looks really nice. It might be a little more fuss than you like though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVmMOclJNQY

If the Konami code doesn't give you free comics, I will be mad.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Good self contained Flash graphic novels of note on sale?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a graphic novel called 'The Flash: Iron Heights' that's inside the first Geoff Johns collection. The ongoing is good, if you feel like reading further.
https://www.comixology.com/The-Flash-By-Geoff-Johns-Book-One/digital-comic/312433

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man this thread doesn't get posts much these days. I haven't been reading comis in a while but it used to get a ton of replies.

Also I glad that I didn't even bother with the "five off your next purchase" coupon since the moment it ended a Marvel buy one get one free deal started.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I think people are used to the sales and find them without this thread. And there haven’t been any ludicrous Amazon sales to surprise anyone.

Is there any value in that Marvel Bogo?

Seems like buying two trades will cost you more than waiting for a sale where they’ll be around 4.99.

Besides back issues which will cost you a buck each.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I ended up with a backlog of comics right about when I got a little bored of reading them. I'm getting back into the swing of things and will hopefully be keeping my eyes open for sales.

The thread started when it was still a bit tremulous. We've settled into "comiXology and the occasional PDF from Humble Bundle", it seems. There hasn't been anything new on the backend side of things in a while.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=lp_156...rnid=6771864011

They're not marked as sales, but noticed the price of a lot of Marvel trades on Amazon are at 50% of their price on Comixology.

edit: Better link. Also not just trades, but singles are at $1.99. Even newer stuff like the new #1 Fantastic Four issue is reduced to $2.99.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 1, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Maybe that's because they can't apply the BOGO calculations at Amazon's checkout, so just put everything on 50% off instead?

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos

Uthor posted:

I ended up with a backlog of comics right about when I got a little bored of reading them. I'm getting back into the swing of things and will hopefully be keeping my eyes open for them

I’m kinda in the same boat. With the crazy Amazon sales and general Comixology discounts over the last year or so, I’ve got a huge backlog. Right about the turn of the year I started getting bored or overwhelmed with the amount of unread comics I had at my fingertips. I’m just now staring up on Secret Empire and hoping it’ll get me back into regular reading.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao that's uh... not the event I would choose to jump back into comics if I were you

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
I’m just filling in the gaps chronologically. :)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Just read a wiki or a summary instead, that's what I do with bad comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Kindle Unlimited seems to include a good chunk of the Comixology Unlimited books now - it might be worth keeping an eye out for deals on that. Good selection of Valiant, Boom, IDW, maybe 50 Marvel vol 1s, but just a few Image books.