Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

nael posted:

As horrifying as that thing is to look at. I think the sound is what makes it so creepy. The idea of it mimicking your friend screaming for help as it eats you is the worst part.

I don't think it's even intending to mimic her. They are fused together. Physically/conscious etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nael
Sep 10, 2009
Yeah, they're definitely fused, but it seems like the thing is consciously using her voice as bait before it attacks. It's hard to tell how much of her consciousness is in there. It's definitely smart enough to use her vocal cords as a lure though. Apparently the movie is based on the first book in a trilogy. I'm really hoping there are sequels, but I think it was one of those movies that everyone who saw it liked, but barely anyone saw it.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I knew about the bear scene going into the movie, but goddamn I was not prepared for how brutal it actually was. They really didnt pull any punches with the horror scenes, which I think was a really good choice to drive home how hostile the shimmer really was.
It reminded me a lot of the J G Ballard story "The Crystal World", almost to the point that I wonder if the author is a fan

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the movie ends in a completely different way from the book, so they'd have to really change things up if they made a sequel. they're worth reading, but the tone of the first book is quite distinct from the movie.

Dreadwroth posted:

I knew about the bear scene going into the movie, but goddamn I was not prepared for how brutal it actually was. They really didnt pull any punches with the horror scenes, which I think was a really good choice to drive home how hostile the shimmer really was.
It reminded me a lot of the J G Ballard story "The Crystal World", almost to the point that I wonder if the author is a fan

https://www.goodreads.com/questions/7507-what-role-did-jg-ballard-s-work-play-in

and I think Alex Garland has mentioned that link as well.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

nael posted:

Yeah, they're definitely fused, but it seems like the thing is consciously using her voice as bait before it attacks. It's hard to tell how much of her consciousness is in there. It's definitely smart enough to use her vocal cords as a lure though. Apparently the movie is based on the first book in a trilogy. I'm really hoping there are sequels, but I think it was one of those movies that everyone who saw it liked, but barely anyone saw it.

It was probably insane. All the people were losing their minds within a few days/months and there's no reason to suspect other mammals like bears would be immune to the effect. Plus having half it's face rotted off and a second skull embedded in it's skull can't be good for brain integrity at the best of times.

It didn't even eat that first lady it killed -- sometimes bears will wait for the meat to soften up a bit, but healthy well-fed bears generally don't attack humans at all. Bears are animals, not scary monsters. They don't just run around trying to kill everything they see.

Honestly I thought they were going to go for the bear trying to communicate, not kill. That perhaps it was partly one of the men from a previous team, partly human, partly bear, and barely sane. But ugly AF, so whenever anyone sees it they start screaming and shooting and then the hormones kick in and it fights back. Like when they are tied to chairs and it just snuffles around for a while. In which case it wasn't screaming for help as a hunting lure, it was screaming for help because it was suffering and wanted help. :gonk: But nope, turns out it was just a scary monster.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Oh my god I really need to see this movie

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Think I'm gonna have to check that movie out because that sounds pretty awesome.

It stole its ending from AI or maybe Mission to Mars but it was a completely enjoyable hosed up ride

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The book/series that Annihilation is based on (The Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer) is extremely good, but they changed many of the details for the film. Not in a bad way really, they mostly changed things that wouldn't have worked real well in a movie anyway, and added more visual stuff. If you liked the movie though I highly recommend the books.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Keep in mind that the bear scene is pretty unlike the rest of the movie. Annihilation is good and worth seeing, but its mostly surreal sci-fi, not horror.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Scathach posted:

Oh my god I really need to see this movie

It's fantastic.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Bloop posted:

It stole its ending from AI or maybe Mission to Mars but it was a completely enjoyable hosed up ride

the ending was a perfect fit for the themes of the movie but sure be a fuckwit and say they "stole" it

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Let's be honest, if Annihilation "stole" from anyone, it's exceedingly clear from all the major plot beats and most of the cinematography that the director really really loved Tarkovsky's Stalker (and to a lesser extent, Solaris). This is of course a good thing because more filmmakers should take their cues from him in general.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

1stGear posted:

Keep in mind that the bear scene is pretty unlike the rest of the movie. Annihilation is good and worth seeing, but its mostly surreal sci-fi, not horror.

The bear scene is simultaneously very much what Annihilation is about and very unrepresentative of the tone of the rest of the piece. It's a wonderfully unfurling thing.

E: It's also one of the most gripping sci-fi movies in ages and features an almost entirely female cast without that being a thing and it's just loving amazing see it.

Especially if you liked "They're Made Out Of Meat."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

the ending was a perfect fit for the themes of the movie but sure be a fuckwit and say they "stole" it

Lmao were you on the production crew or something?

I loved the movie, but the end was a little bit CGI humanoid Journey Into the Mind's Eye "profound" phantasmagoria effects heavy, is all. I didn't mean they stole it. It's obviously different plot-wise.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I loved the movie, but the end was a little bit CGI humanoid Journey Into the Mind's Eye "profound" phantasmagoria effects heavy, is all. I didn't mean they stole it. It's obviously different plot-wise.

No, I was just drunk when I wrote it, i don't actually think you're a fuckwit I just got unreasonably mad at your word choicing. Sorry!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

No, I was just drunk when I wrote it, i don't actually think you're a fuckwit I just got unreasonably mad at your word choicing. Sorry!

No worries. We cool. :hfive:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Bloop posted:

That wasn't CGI it it was a person in a suit.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
/\It was three midgets in a trash bag obviously./\
Oh man I never thought about it being like Stalker but that makes a lot of sense.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

gey muckle mowser posted:

The book/series that Annihilation is based on (The Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer) is extremely good, but they changed many of the details for the film. Not in a bad way really, they mostly changed things that wouldn't have worked real well in a movie anyway, and added more visual stuff. If you liked the movie though I highly recommend the books.

Oh wow I didn't know they made a movie about those books! They were pretty good and weird books.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

That wasn't CGI it it was a person in a suit.

Seriously? That person has some weird proportions

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Field Mousepad posted:

I also turn inside out repeatedly in a screaming non-euclidean seven-dimensional mass. It's really something to see

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some actors make a living being weirdly proportioned.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

I think they were digitally altered to an extent. that neck/head is pretty inhuman and obviously the crazier poo poo is Cgi. iirc it's the Asian girl from Ex Machina in a oil slick rubber suit.

Basically all of the effects were practical in that movie but touched up/altered digitally so I guess the answer is sort of a mix. It's weirdly the one part I can't find a "making of" vignette for.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I think they were digitally altered to an extent. that neck/head is pretty inhuman and obviously the crazier poo poo is Cgi. iirc it's the Asian girl from Ex Machina in a oil slick rubber suit.

Basically all of the effects were practical in that movie but touched up/altered digitally so I guess the answer is sort of a mix. It's weirdly the one part I can't find a "making of" vignette for.

It was real :tinfoil:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

1stGear posted:

Yeah, I would have enjoyed the film a lot more if there was more body horror or general bio-weirdness.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There was like, a lot of that though?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Somone forgot about the nightmare gator.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

veni veni veni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBDdm1CZytg

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The Bloop posted:

I prefer to think of the cinematic adaptation as an excellent example of a stroll through a Tzeenchian hellworld.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
New Cyriak video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQD-N6gkCzQ

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

That's why you don't do the crime show photo enhance on Goatse.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

I subscribed to him forever ago and never saw any new videos. I figured he wasn't doing animation anymore, or was working professionally and had moved away from youtube. This was a pleasant surprise when it popped up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

poo poo he's still going? I thought he would have fried his brain years ago.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arcsquad12 posted:

You think the content he produces is the work of a man whose brain is not yet fried?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think your brain has to be a little fried to make things the way he does.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Did he do the meow the jewels video? Or am I thinking of another dude?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Gromit posted:

Yeah, I would have enjoyed the film a lot more if there was more body horror or general bio-weirdness.

The guy in the pool was infinitely scarier than the bear, I don’t care what anyone says. Grade loving A body horror there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

such weird vertebrates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I just see a barbershop group where one's going for that high note