Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I'd like to think they are real, I looked them up once and 15s are a thing. How can you tell 'cause this is all new to me.

JCD is fine, Yoshi isn't happy at all either since he too thought it was all right. He's going to do some things with their forwarder and see if they have an idea of what happened to the stuff. I can't expect to hear back from them before Monday with it being the weekend and all.

Word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The fact it's legally permitted to ship items inside the cars has no impact on the issue of them being nicked...

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Bugger, I'm there in September/October! I'd love to do the MCM thing of buying a shitbox kei car to razz around, but seems unlikely to be logistically feasable.

However, I'm also wondering about seeing if I can nab a Motocompo to bring back in my luggage...

It may well not be something I can pull off this trip, but might be worth considering for the future.

Have you considered buying one and then handing it off to JCD to deal with all the paperwork, shipping etc?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Grakkus posted:

Have you considered buying one and then handing it off to JCD to deal with all the paperwork, shipping etc?
A Motocompo? Yeah, I could do that "remotely" anyway, I'm just thinking I like the idea of doing it myself, and why pay shipping if I can find a way I don't have to?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:krad:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

I'd like to think they are real, I looked them up once and 15s are a thing. How can you tell 'cause this is all new to me.

I bought a Miata with 15" ones, in white, once. Then sold them to some dude for like $800. :v:

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

InitialDave posted:

A Motocompo? Yeah, I could do that "remotely" anyway, I'm just thinking I like the idea of doing it myself, and why pay shipping if I can find a way I don't have to?

I meant the kei car, actually :) sorry for being unclear.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Grakkus posted:

I meant the kei car, actually :) sorry for being unclear.
Ah, I'm more thinking that for the cost of multiple days car hire, I could buy a sheddy Kei to knock about in, because it would be a dumb, fun idea. Hadn't thought as far as what to do with it afterwards!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does that thing actually say

MIDSHIP DOHC TURBO
EXCITING TURBO COUPE

On the side? Please Please PLEASE tell me that decal is stock.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bolind posted:

Does that thing actually say

MIDSHIP DOHC TURBO
EXCITING TURBO COUPE

On the side? Please Please PLEASE tell me that decal is stock.

"Exciting Micro Coupe," even better. That's what I loved about the side of that thing, too.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

Wtf I thought it was allowed now to ship things in the vehicles to USA?

It's explicilty not allowed. I talked to Yoshi awhile ago about it, they only do it for some east coast ports because they seem to be getting away with it. If you tried that in Long Beach or Tacoma you are going to be in for a bad time.

Tldr: it's never been allowed, sometimes you get lucky probably most of the time you won't.

Edit: Kaker I am surprised your import broker was okay with this. Mine basically read me the riot act when I asked if I could stuff parts into my cars.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 14, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

It's explicilty not allowed. I talked to Yoshi awhile ago about it, they only do it for some east coast ports because they seem to be getting away with it. If you tried that in Long Beach or Tacoma you are going to be in for a bad time.

Tldr: it's never been allowed, sometimes you get lucky probably most of the time you won't.

Edit: Kaker I am surprised your import broker was okay with this. Mine basically read me the riot act when I asked if I could stuff parts into my cars.

Things have changed since then, Yoshi, specifically, was the one that said it's ok now.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

Things have changed since then, Yoshi, specifically, was the one that said it's ok now.

I talked to Yoshi last week he said they only do it for east coast ports cause they are looser. Also I love jcd but their grasp off US customs laws is poor at best, Yoshi assured me that kei trucks were a 2.5% tariff when we bought the first batch. The customs officer all but laughed in my face when I tried that. I have been told by my broker and two separate customs officers (one that I know on a personal level) both say it's against the law, that doesn't mean it will be shipped though. That's up to the agent to decide.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I talked to Yoshi last week he said they only do it for east coast ports cause they are looser. Also I love jcd but their grasp off US customs laws is poor at best, Yoshi assured me that kei trucks were a 2.5% tariff when we bought the first batch. The customs officer all but laughed in my face when I tried that. I have been told by my broker and two separate customs officers (one that I know on a personal level) both say it's against the law, that doesn't mean it will be shipped though. That's up to the agent to decide.

Yeah naw JCD is great but you gotta know stuff beyond what they can do. They do not know much about anything regarding cars themselves, now it's to where Yoshi knows what I won't bid on depending on what the inspections come back like, although more and more lately I'm ignoring what the sheet says and sending out an inspector regardless. The three cars I just got yesterday? All three said the AC wasn't functioning and the compressor wasn't turning on. Guess what, all three ACs are working and the compressors turn on, they are just weak.

As for the Jimny parts yeah, that's as much on me as them as I let them override my doubts. We'll see what they do to rectify the situation, I just wanted the OEM bumper and that spare tire cover, it was right there :argh:

But Hey: Pictures!

It's real dirty, these pictures are before I did anything besides clean the windows. Paint is in poor shape and the front left fender is missing a whole bunch of it. Everything is dry, hinges are creaky and there are various rattles on the interior, presumably because of all the poo poo garbage rear end interior 'mods' consisting of red stickers and carbon fiber-look stickers plus plastic 'carbon fiber' panels just drilled right into the dashboard. Neat that they added a glove box, neat that it included a bunch of original manuals I wasn't expecting. So much of the original stuff that it really seems like this was a one-owner car. Shame that it's made out of crappy plastic that is trying to look like carbon fiber. The rear parcel shelf stiffening bar has got to go, along with the particleboard thing that's sitting on top of the shelf. Driver's seat is fine but I'd prefer the stock seat. Because they put in that racing seat they elected to remove the stock seatbelt buckle in the center. The original belt is still there but you have nothing to connect it to. Gotta wear the harness, at least it's just two shoulder belts that connect in the center and not some super 5-point thing. Door struts are shot but if you push the doors all the way up they will hold the doors at max extension. Steering wheel is nice just looks dumb as hell. Those rear speaker pods are shot, the cones have disintigrated. I'm going to look about repairing/replacing the speakers within those housings since it looks cool as heck. Brakes are great, alignment is good. It feels like a track car and looking over everything in the daylight seems to confirm that. AC is weak but the compressor does turn on. Recharge time :getin:
It drives fantastic. It's got a custom ECU box (that blue box sitting on the rear parcel shelf behind the seats) and while I don't have a boost gauge the blow off valve blasts loud and proud with the fluttering as it winds down, it feels way more powerful than 64 hp, it's gotta have its boost turned up. Also super intoxicating to lay into the throttle at every stop light and stop sign. It's really more than I was expecting and I was expecting a lot, been lusting after AZ-1s for a while now.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

KakerMix posted:

I've only driven it around the block in the dark but I can not overstate how loving rad it is goddamn.

It sounds dreamy, like it has an additional ability to terrorize :3: . I was wondering what you'd think of it, given your 4X4 inclination.

Have you investigated its lift throttle rotating ability yet?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

JCD is fine, Yoshi isn't happy at all either since he too thought it was all right. He's going to do some things with their forwarder and see if they have an idea of what happened to the stuff. I can't expect to hear back from them before Monday with it being the weekend and all.

That's messed up. My spare OEM steering wheel for the Delica that was supposed to be there vanished as well and they haven't been able to track it down.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Electric Pigeon posted:

It sounds dreamy, like it has an additional ability to terrorize :3: . I was wondering what you'd think of it, given your 4X4 inclination.

Have you investigated its lift throttle rotating ability yet?

Nah, it's not legal yet so I'm limited to putting around the neighborhood at the moment. It really wants to go faster though, like real bad.

Femtosecond posted:

That's messed up. My spare OEM steering wheel for the Delica that was supposed to be there vanished as well and they haven't been able to track it down.

Yeah but I'm not going to be satisfied with 'oh no we cant find it wow' since I made a point about having them installed before it was shipped, and was convinced not to do that. I'm now justified in my want to have that done, because if I did have them installed, shoved the 'TENACIOUS 4X4' cover that's on their now in the glovebox (it's fabric after all) and the aftermarket bumpers in, I wouldn't have cared to lose those.

More pix!

I want to point out that it has a Mini Disc player head unit. So Japanese. There is a deep purple paintjob just waiting to be waxed out of the filth that's sitting on top of the body. It's extremely clean, only issue is a ding on the front bumper and some scratches on the rear license plate area because they didn't know to pop off the panel on the inside rear door to hold the internal nut so the bolt on the outside doesn't just spin :v:
The best part though is the little turbo woosh. It's the same engine as the AZ-1, arranged differently and tuned differently, of course, but the feel is still there. Give it juice and it boosts. Pretty sure this one is totally stock going by absolutely everything else. One owner so I have the owner's manual, a whole bunch of records and that bitchin' tiny pewter Jimny keychain.
I guess what I'm saying is buy a Jimny.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 15, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is very very cool need to watch those closer and maybe get one

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I want to point out that it has a Mini Disc player head unit. So Japanese. There is a deep purple paintjob just waiting to be waxed out of the filth that's sitting on top of the body. It's extremely clean, only issue is a ding on the front bumper and some scratches on the rear license plate area because they didn't know to pop off the panel on the inside rear door to hold the internal nut so the bolt on the outside doesn't just spin :v:
The best part though is the little turbo woosh. It's the same engine as the AZ-1, arranged differently and tuned differently, of course, but the feel is still there. Give it juice and it boosts. Pretty sure this one is totally stock going by absolutely everything else. One owner so I have the owner's manual, a whole bunch of records and that bitchin' tiny pewter Jimny keychain.
I guess what I'm saying is buy a Jimny.

Omfg. When I was a teen I bought a minidisc player so that I could make terrible bootlegs of live shows. That is super dope. I think I still have some minidiscs somewhere too...

I'd be really curious about more driving impressions because I have been keeping my eye on these Jimnys. It seems like a super cool, functional alternative to a Jeep YJ/TJ.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think it's the single cam in the Jimny vs twin cam in the AZ1, so bear that in mind when checking spares compatability.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

I think it's the single cam in the Jimny vs twin cam in the AZ1, so bear that in mind when checking spares compatability.

Yeah that part always slips my mind. I was talking more in you can feel the similarities between them in how they run.

There is a lot of little things I have to un-gently caress with this car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

There is a lot of little things I have to un-gently caress with this car.

Well, it's not like anything about it is big :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Wait, the car is so small that they put the hood release in the glovebox?

Now I understand the love people have for the AZ-1 over the Cappo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wait, the car is so small that they put the hood release in the glovebox?

Now I understand the love people have for the AZ-1 over the Cappo.

No that picture is from the Jimny, the Jimny (and I'm guessing the Samurai) has the hood release in the glove box. My wife's Tracker does too so I just assume it's a thing with Suzuki.

The AZ-1 has it's rear-hood release between the driver's seat and driver's door sill along with the fuel door. The front hood release is where you'd expect a typical hood release to go, in the footwell on the driver's side.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 16, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The Cappo's bonnet release is in the glove box too.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I went to a car meet in Copenhagen yesterday, disappointingly there were only like 12 cars there, but one of them was this lovely AZ-1. I thought of this thread when I saw it :)

No idea how stock/not stock it is, but it looked clean as hell

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I believe that’s the only AZ1 in Denmark. He has a description of it here. He has named it Mr. Sparkle :keke:

Edit: as he points out, it’s lower than a Lamborghini Huracan.

bolind fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 16, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I see an RF changer controller. Where's the changer hiding?
At least it's not in the center of the cargo area like the last one...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

InitialDave posted:

The Cappo's bonnet release is in the glove box too.

If the AZ-1 had a glovebox I bet they would have put a hood release in there :v:

That Mr. Sparkle AZ-1 is active in the group on Facebook, the other popular one is the British Columbia area with neato wheels. Both great cars.

Darchangel posted:

I see an RF changer controller. Where's the changer hiding?
At least it's not in the center of the cargo area like the last one...

Huh yeah I saw that but didn't really look at it. I'll have to see. I was looking at the Jimny today and man, why did they go ahead and put that chrome bumper and chrome corner bits on the rear, riveting directly in the metal. Plus, they replaced the rear bumper which means they replaced the licence plate holder. So, they drilled right into the rear door and put in a weird light. You can tell because where the plate goes now covers up most of the 'Jimny TURBO' on the back :negative:. Plus, there isn't any other chrome anywhere else on the truck so what the gently caress why add it godamn just loving tasteless between this and the AZ-1.

Speaking of the AZ-1 again though, I'm building up a list of parts I need, mostly just rubber trim bits which don't look too hard to get. I found this:

That's a fender mirror kit for the AZ-1 or Cara. I can not find a single picture of that option on any AZ-1 or Cara though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Pajero

Dirty and smells like 12 + 1 ashtrays but not a spec of rust anywhere AND original floor mats :c00l:
The red stripe that goes around the whole truck is a bit faded but complete, the 'TURBO INTERCOOLER' decals are perfect. Some holes in the dashboard because of course and the tires are totally shot. Also seems like something is up with clutch engagement. I haven't checked it yet but when you first turn it on the clutch seems to only want to engage halfway unless you pump the clutch :confused: Driving it has a definite smoothness, even more than the Land Cruisers I've had. AC is working but weak. It's going to look killer after I get done with it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If it's a hydraulic clutch replace the fluid and bleed it. If it's still acting funny replace the slave, then the master if it's still being difficult. Those parts *should* be cheap but who knows.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Radial-P235-75R15-105S-OWL-Highway-tire/4404150

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Perfect.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

TRIGGER WARNING: Walmart Tire And Lube Express

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Those look good yeah but it's really hard to beat the appearance of the BF Goodrich KO2s with ~full~ white letter treatment. I might not even put new tires on it though and instead just make sure it's mechanically sound and let the next owner do whatever they want for tires. Maybe.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
ROWL > RWL :colbert:

You get it all detailed and the tires will let it down.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Those look good yeah but it's really hard to beat the appearance of the BF Goodrich KO2s with ~full~ white letter treatment. I might not even put new tires on it though and instead just make sure it's mechanically sound and let the next owner do whatever they want for tires. Maybe.

I would, they look great in the pics and that's all that matters. If a buyer has issue with the tires, knock some money off to make them happy, just inflate the selling price first of course.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dagen H posted:

ROWL > RWL :colbert:

You get it all detailed and the tires will let it down.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would, they look great in the pics and that's all that matters. If a buyer has issue with the tires, knock some money off to make them happy, just inflate the selling price first of course.

Yeah, which is why both the Rugger and Land Cruiser had those KO2s put on, strictly for aesthetics. They are also good tires too of course but it certainly helped selling them.

EDIT
Costco has KO2s for 137 a piece, not bad.

:mrwhite:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 19, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
My Majesta will be at port soon and they emailed me and said whatever I do don’t show them any invoice or anything about buying this. So what do I do know how do I spring this from port? I am not joking they said do not show any proforma invoice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

everdave posted:

My Majesta will be at port soon and they emailed me and said whatever I do don’t show them any invoice or anything about buying this. So what do I do know how do I spring this from port? I am not joking they said do not show any proforma invoice

I am confused are you US or international? Who called you? The only people who call are the shippers, they don't give a poo poo about your invoice just pay them the $125. Sometimes the port will call but that is not often, they also want their $119 docking fee. You should have contacted a broker already , they needed to file an isf 10+2 before it left port in Japan. When you get the mail packet from JCD you will take all that documentation to the import broker. They will deal with all the paperwork. Take that paperwork to your Customs office, an agent will inspect the paperwork and the vehicle. If it's done right u get ur car, if wrong well try it again.