Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Yes, they’re definitely dry before I fold them and put them away. I don’t actually put them into a bureau or anything currently because I thought that might be part of the issue. I just stack em in a big basket or hang them up. My house doesn’t smell bad/weird either so I’m pretty sure that’s not the cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I believe that's a fledgling, so as long as I leave my garage cracked enough for him to get out he's good?

Yes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I throw some sandal wood in my dresser drawers to avoid odd smells.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ServoMST3K posted:

I have a laundry question. For some time now it seems that my clean clothes end up smelling sort of odd after they've been sitting for a while. They don't smell like mold or mildew or like they're soiled, just sort of stale I suppose. What could be causing it? Is it worth just trying to change detergent or cutting out fabric softeners? It also seems to affect clothes that are folded and stacked on top of each other more so than stuff that I hang up, but not always. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I've heard recently that some people use too much detergent when doing laundry and that a typical wash cycle can't actually rinse all the suds out of the wet clothes. Then you dry them, but there's a residue of detergent that sticks around. You could try less soap and see if the smell persists.

Also, how do you dry them? Tumble dryer, high heat, dryer sheet?

And one more I've heard of - is your washer top load or front load? I've heard that the front load washers can have off smells and you sometimes need to add some kind of deodorizer to them. It may not be a mold/mildew smell and I can't testify as I've never used a front loader, but it might be something.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I use windows at work, and am trying to get it so that if I modify a file in a subfolder, that sorting the main folders by date modified will reflect the within-subfolder change. Kind of like this question:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d5-1b66dd10887c

So If I make a change to folder A 10 days ago, and folder B five days ago, but then make a subfolder within A yesterday, I want the sorting of folders A and B to show that A was the most recently modified, if that makes sense. I can't seem to figure out how to do this after some googling. Is there another column I should add to the folder view that I can sort by to get the desired result?

Thanks.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

ServoMST3K posted:

Yes, they’re definitely dry before I fold them and put them away. I don’t actually put them into a bureau or anything currently because I thought that might be part of the issue. I just stack em in a big basket or hang them up. My house doesn’t smell bad/weird either so I’m pretty sure that’s not the cause.

Do you have hard water (lots of calcium)? Putting some white vinegar or borax in the wash helps with that, if that's the problem.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

hooah posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

Relatively sure it is about LSD.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This thread is full of people who have no idea that you don’t keep the tags on your clothes apparently.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
Thanks for the suggestions folks!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hello, friends, I have another question about social nuance that I don't understand.

I'm autistic but not an idiot; I can understand things and can infer things in a kind of pragmatic, logical way, but social stuff is almost never, ever logical or pragmatic so it's all just a loving kaleidoscope to me most of the time. I can learn things about social nuance if they're taught to me, but a lot of things I think people just catch on to organically and there's never a need to explain it to anyone. Well, drat it, I need some help.

Years and years and years ago, I used to hang around on SA because it was sort of this hipster counter-culture (maybe even counter-counter-culture) place that fit my interests better than real life. Back then we did things we called "image macros," another thing that always confused me because I'm not really sure what that is supposed to mean, exactly, but these were basically easily recognizable images with quotes on them to help emphasize something (like, say, in the event of a thread about to turn toxically dramatic, someone might post a picture of Arnold with the caption GET TO DA CHOPPA) or maybe they were just little jokes, like a misquote (like, Aragorn badly cropped into a car with the caption, "one does not simply drive into Mordor.")

Okay, well, for about a decade I've been more or less absent from the social media scene, and now I have a Facebook account and I'm trying to understand Twitter and all these other weird things, and one thing I've noticed, a lot -- like, a LOT -- is people post gifs or sometimes images (this is mostly on Facebook, for whatever that's worth) that just contain an image, or a seen from the movie, but the text isn't a joke or a reference, but rather just what the person is saying. Like, it's a picture of Spongebob Squarepants and the text just says "I agree." I don't THINK that's a joke (I've never seen the cartoon) but there's enough of these very similar, entirely mundane things that I think they're just...posts.

So, okay, here's my problem. I don't understand this. If I say on Facebook, "Wow, it really sucks that all these kids are being locked up..." and people respond with images of Spongebob, an image of a rapper, an image of Jesus, and an image of Trump, all that have text that isn't actually anything any of them said...I just don't know what these mean. These responses mean nothing to me. They're in an entire other language. I'm an atheist; if I posted a picture of Jesus saying something, it would probably be ironic or irreverent in some way, so by that thinking, someone posting a picture of Jesus in response to something I said, it seems like it would have to be in like intention, right? But what if it just says, "Jesus loves all the children." Is this a joke about Christian double standards? Is it a serious thing? What about all the other posts? Are they ironic? Are they jokes?

Ultimately, this is the question I need to know before I can really try and understand what people are trying to tell me: If someone DOES respond with a COMPLETELY LEGITIMATE response, but opts to use a gif of, uh, I don't know, a wrestler or something... WHY? Why not just write the message out and say it? Why does it have to be accompanied by a message?

To the people that respond with messages but not ironically or jokingly: why don't you just write out the message and post it? What does the image accomplish? Do you write out the message, then use an image editor to put the text on the image? Do you use an ap to do it? Do you just type in your message in an image search and hope someone already has put the text on there?

Oh my God all this post seems so...nauseating, but I can't think of how to ask this question and I'm so sick of not understanding this nuanced communication the rest of the world seems entirely comfortable in.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A lot of the time it's meant to communicate that you belong to the same in-group as the other people who get the joke.

There's generally some original meaning (and often it's something that would take a lot of words to communicate completely, or wouldn't be funny if explained, or both). Like for example there's a picture of a smug-looking guy on a white background, which is from a television advertisement where he says "it's free real estate"; that image is then often used without that text to describe, say, the way pet animals stuff themselves into any available space.

Other times it's not really a reference like that and it's just, like:

"Nobody would ever die for other people, humans are too selfish."
*posts picture of Jesus as a counter-argument, on account of the whole dying for others thing*

in which case it's just because it's more succinct and dramatic than typing it out.

Also, using an image someone else made just generally lets you deflect or deny that it's your own opinion, or at least sort of avoid commitment to an actual argument. People on social media usually don't want to have an actual conversation, they just want to signal to others what they think and then go on their merry way.

(And yeah, it does feel a little weird explaining this outright but I'm on the autism spectrum myself so I don't begrudge you your confusion.)

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

In addition to what Tuxedo Catfish said, another thing I think you might be seeing are reaction gifs, which may or may not have text. The difference is that those in particular are frequently not a specific reference to the actual film/commercial/whatever it's taken from. It's more like a really advanced smilie/emoji, used to indicate a reaction. Like using that gif of Orson Welles clapping like you would use :master:, or (my personal favorite) Vince McMahon falling over backwards to indicate you're blown away by something—not ironically, necessarily, but in a silly, over-exaggerated way.

Also, fun fact because I just recently learned it from one of Lowtax's Bad Spine ThreadsTM: the term image macro came about because instead linking to the image from somewhere else with [img] tags, it was hosted here so you could write stuff like [img-timeline] and have it show up the same way the smilies do!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
this form of communication seems (to me, a reasonably neurotypical person) is kind of like adding body language, emphasis, and intonation to plain spoken words. There is a whole huge, complicated array of implied information included in that added nuance, implied information that has a generally accepted meaning for the audience. Similarly, which particular image macro background you use confers a lot of extra information to the reader based on the common cultural implications of the meme.

Here’s an example, you may have seen a meme of spongebob drawn in a cubist, absurdist style WiTh TExT thAT lOokS LiKE tHIS. The analog in spoken conversation would be repeating something ridiculous a speaker has said back to them, verbatim, except using a dumb voice to exaggerate how ridiculous the statement was.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
A bunch of social media sites these days have things that make it very quick to search for related gifs and stills to automatically add to a post to match a given phrase too. Or things that'll automatically slap your text on random base images if you want that too.

So since it's so easy to do that there's people who'll take advantage of it even though they wouldn't have done it 10 years ago. Because back then it'd take a lot of remembering where those images were and then uploading it again etc versus typing for 10 seconds and hitting a button.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
One of the reasons in-jokes/memes are so popular and more frequently used by kids is that, apart from just identifying yourself as an engaged member of a social group that employs the joke, it's also (possibly ironically) a sign of a developed capacity for communication - greater so than with the written word in some respects, due to its efficiency. In the space of half a second the reference is recognised, the metaphorical connection and response to the current topic is grasped, and (if more nuanced) the multiple layers behind the joke or reference itself, plus possible social/philosophical commentary. The fact that most people wouldn't understand most of it also shows that it's a bit of a shibboleth, as both marker and passcode. The full meaning is obscured for anyone not "in the know", which shows a clear awareness of who and what the audience (in theory) should be. It's natural that kids will experiment with forms of communication like this, they're still learning and figuring out how the world works. Although who knows whether kids will get less literate as language evolves to include even more emojis and fart gifs

qualifications: i saw a meme once

e: with all that i better get a :goonsay:

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 13, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

To the people that respond with messages but not ironically or jokingly: why don't you just write out the message and post it? What does the image accomplish?
Sometimes the image conveys additional information, like if it's a well-known character saying it and you want to imply something about their beliefs or personality, other times it's just a more engaging way of sending a message. Like, my sister bought us some wrestling tickets and asked me to transfer some money into her account so after I did it I sent this gif:

I could have just said I'd transferred the money to her, but this was more fun. :shrug:

credburn posted:

Do you write out the message, then use an image editor to put the text on the image? Do you use an ap to do it? Do you just type in your message in an image search and hope someone already has put the text on there?
Facebook messenger has a gif search thingy built into it. You can also use sites like https://giphy.com or just Google image search set to show only animated gifs.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

credburn posted:

Hello, friends, I have another question about social nuance that I don't understand.

I'm autistic but not an idiot; I can understand things and can infer things in a kind of pragmatic, logical way, but social stuff is almost never, ever logical or pragmatic so it's all just a loving kaleidoscope to me most of the time. I can learn things about social nuance if they're taught to me, but a lot of things I think people just catch on to organically and there's never a need to explain it to anyone. Well, drat it, I need some help.

Years and years and years ago, I used to hang around on SA because it was sort of this hipster counter-culture (maybe even counter-counter-culture) place that fit my interests better than real life. Back then we did things we called "image macros," another thing that always confused me because I'm not really sure what that is supposed to mean, exactly, but these were basically easily recognizable images with quotes on them to help emphasize something (like, say, in the event of a thread about to turn toxically dramatic, someone might post a picture of Arnold with the caption GET TO DA CHOPPA) or maybe they were just little jokes, like a misquote (like, Aragorn badly cropped into a car with the caption, "one does not simply drive into Mordor.")

Okay, well, for about a decade I've been more or less absent from the social media scene, and now I have a Facebook account and I'm trying to understand Twitter and all these other weird things, and one thing I've noticed, a lot -- like, a LOT -- is people post gifs or sometimes images (this is mostly on Facebook, for whatever that's worth) that just contain an image, or a seen from the movie, but the text isn't a joke or a reference, but rather just what the person is saying. Like, it's a picture of Spongebob Squarepants and the text just says "I agree." I don't THINK that's a joke (I've never seen the cartoon) but there's enough of these very similar, entirely mundane things that I think they're just...posts.

So, okay, here's my problem. I don't understand this. If I say on Facebook, "Wow, it really sucks that all these kids are being locked up..." and people respond with images of Spongebob, an image of a rapper, an image of Jesus, and an image of Trump, all that have text that isn't actually anything any of them said...I just don't know what these mean. These responses mean nothing to me. They're in an entire other language. I'm an atheist; if I posted a picture of Jesus saying something, it would probably be ironic or irreverent in some way, so by that thinking, someone posting a picture of Jesus in response to something I said, it seems like it would have to be in like intention, right? But what if it just says, "Jesus loves all the children." Is this a joke about Christian double standards? Is it a serious thing? What about all the other posts? Are they ironic? Are they jokes?

Ultimately, this is the question I need to know before I can really try and understand what people are trying to tell me: If someone DOES respond with a COMPLETELY LEGITIMATE response, but opts to use a gif of, uh, I don't know, a wrestler or something... WHY? Why not just write the message out and say it? Why does it have to be accompanied by a message?

To the people that respond with messages but not ironically or jokingly: why don't you just write out the message and post it? What does the image accomplish? Do you write out the message, then use an image editor to put the text on the image? Do you use an ap to do it? Do you just type in your message in an image search and hope someone already has put the text on there?

Oh my God all this post seems so...nauseating, but I can't think of how to ask this question and I'm so sick of not understanding this nuanced communication the rest of the world seems entirely comfortable in.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

credburn posted:

People on Facebook are idiots, so I wouldn't put too much stock into anything you see, but if everything you post is garnering a bunch of wacky memes you are probably posting some weird poo poo, and you should repost some screenshots here for brutal, honest goon truths.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

I've heard recently that some people use too much detergent when doing laundry and that a typical wash cycle can't actually rinse all the suds out of the wet clothes. Then you dry them, but there's a residue of detergent that sticks around. You could try less soap and see if the smell persists.

Also, how do you dry them? Tumble dryer, high heat, dryer sheet?

And one more I've heard of - is your washer top load or front load? I've heard that the front load washers can have off smells and you sometimes need to add some kind of deodorizer to them. It may not be a mold/mildew smell and I can't testify as I've never used a front loader, but it might be something.

The same can actually happen to top loaders as well, if you don't air them out every now and then. My clothes used to have a similarly funky/stale smell, and eventually I figured out that came from the machine itself from the moisture trapped inside. Since then I just switched to leaving it open overnight after each wash so it'd completely dry out, and the smell has gone away.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 14, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

hooah posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

baquerd posted:

Is it PUA slang maybe? Bears a resemblance.

This is loving awesome.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Why do RedLetterMedia videos always have several seconds of silent black in them between parts?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What do expensive kitchen knives do that cheap ones don't?

I ask having watched lots of videos from this guy's YouTube channel in which he restores a $500 knife and it cuts amazingly, but also sharpens a $1 knife and it cuts amazingly too.

Is there any fundamental difference between the $500 knife and the $1 knife other than how well they've been sharpened when you take them out of the box? What does that extra $499 get you?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The $1 knife can be sharpened to the same level as the $500 one, but will then need the same level of work every seven cuts to keep it that good.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Hyperlynx posted:

I ask having watched lots of videos from this guy's YouTube channel in which he restores a $500 knife and it cuts amazingly, but also sharpens a $1 knife and it cuts amazingly too.

Is there any fundamental difference between the $500 knife and the $1 knife other than how well they've been sharpened when you take them out of the box? What does that extra $499 get you?

^^^
Yea durability costs money.

For a personal knife yea, don't bother to break the bank for it. Just get yourself a sharpening tool and a steel, and that poo poo will be perfectly fine forever.

Though a cook friend of mine had a lovely knife he got in culinary school which he used literally every day for everything and had a noticeably different blade after several* years.

*for the chefs in house, he took a while to properly learn how to sharpen his knife and hosed it up a few times, then learned how to sharpen that poo poo like a katana.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why do RedLetterMedia videos always have several seconds of silent black in them between parts?

YouTube commercials, probably.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hyperlynx posted:

Lots of factors. I'm sure I'm missing plenty, but here are some:

1. Steel used determines stain resistance, hardness, edge retention, ease of sharpening, and durability. These factors are often at odds with each other metallurgically speaking, and steels that rate highly across the board tend to be more expensive.

2. Blade crafting techniques can involve simple stamping of knives, automated mechanical forging, or hand forging. It can also involve laminating the steel used for the edge with other steels to enhance durability and flexibility. Heat treatment and other finishing techniques vary in quality and effect the characteristics of the finished knife.

3. "Fit and finish" - more expensive knives will have the handle of the knife paired well for balance and comfort and sanded down flush with the tang if the tang is exposed. The edges of the heel and spine of the knife are rounded for comfort. Acid etching exposing laminating techniques used can be used for a appealing aesthetic.

All that said, you can get relatively cheap knives that rate fairly high on the performance factors and are meant to be used hard, the classical suggestion being https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is additional protective glass for phones common in the US/western Europe?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
How many calories are in a pound (or gram, if that's more convenient) of elephant meat, and what effect would salting and drying have on this figure?

On the off chance you can answer this question re: wooly mammoths rather than regular elephants that would be even more helpful but I don't imagine anyone actually knows that.

If you can't answer it re: elephants, what common meat is closest to elephant? Beef? Bison? Venison?

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

Shy posted:

Is additional protective glass for phones common in the US/western Europe?

Not usually glass technically but a plastic membrane.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How many calories are in a pound (or gram, if that's more convenient) of elephant meat, and what effect would salting and drying have on this figure?

On the off chance you can answer this question re: wooly mammoths rather than regular elephants that would be even more helpful but I don't imagine anyone actually knows that.

If you can't answer it re: elephants, what common meat is closest to elephant? Beef? Bison? Venison?

Please don't help this person with their caveman homework! You know better, Unk! It's 15 minutes in the tar pit for you!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Salt doesn’t add calories, drying just removes water.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Salt doesn’t add calories, drying just removes water.

It would increase the calories per pound/gram though by removing the weight of the calorie free water. See beef jerky which has around 66% more calories per oz than raw beef.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Xenoborg posted:

It would increase the calories per pound/gram though by removing the weight of the calorie free water. See beef jerky which has around 66% more calories per oz than raw beef.

I mean technically yeah but one elephant carcass' worth of meat will have the same calories dried or not. Matters for carry capacity, but not for "how much nutrition can you get out of one animal".

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
How do I recover from wrist pain due to computer work?

I don't think it's full blown carpal tunnel.

What steps can I do to prevent this in the future?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How do I recover from wrist pain due to computer work?

I don't think it's full blown carpal tunnel.

What steps can I do to prevent this in the future?

Switching to ergonomic keyboards at home and at work greatly mitigated this for me. Getting a mousepad with a wrist rest, too.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

This is probably a dumb question but oh well!

Is it safe to put two nails above my circuit breaker in my apartment? Maybe a couple centimeters directly above it. Plaster walls, circuit breaker box is just in the middle of a wall in my kitchen so I wanna hang something in front of it.

I'm assuming there are studs there as it's screwed in by four large screws, I just wanna make sure I'm not gonna hit a wire or anything and a) zap myself and b) hurt anything important in the box.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a good chance the mains come in at the top. It’s mounted between studs, so if you go directly above it you may be in for a bad time.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There’s a good chance the mains come in at the top. It’s mounted between studs, so if you go directly above it you may be in for a bad time.

Say no more, say no more. I kinda figured it was a no-go, just needed a bit of reassurance. Thanks!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanatosian posted:

Switching to ergonomic keyboards at home and at work greatly mitigated this for me. Getting a mousepad with a wrist rest, too.

I found a trackball really helped my mouse hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Johnny Truant posted:

Say no more, say no more. I kinda figured it was a no-go, just needed a bit of reassurance. Thanks!

Command hooks should work for most things that would be hung from nails.