Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oddium posted:

it seems like these days gamers are more interested in “access to shiny legendaries”, than they are access to “God”

yea cuz arceus sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ORAS fixed the overall experience, I felt, while HGSS focused on adding bells and whistles without really adding the quality of life changes needed to make the rest of the game more fun to play.

The Battle Frontier has never really been anything but frustrating to me, so I wasn't exactly sad to see it gone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SHOW ME THE SABRINA REDESIGN

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

mr fuji

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

ORAS fixed the overall experience, I felt, while HGSS focused on adding bells and whistles without really adding the quality of life changes needed to make the rest of the game more fun to play.

The Battle Frontier has never really been anything but frustrating to me, so I wasn't exactly sad to see it gone.

ORAS still had the never-ending water routes that plague Hoenn, made the Gyms significantly easier when they weren't difficult in the first place, removed a lot of actual travelling by teleporting you...

I wouldn't say ORAS fixed anything. If anything, it removed a crapton of content due to, again, remaking RS instead of Emerald. HGSS absolutely focused on the wrong things, but so did ORAS.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

they aren’t going to change the region to such a degree the water disappears. I mean. Hoenn is Okinawa. Diving is an essential mechanic. And they still gave you ways to alleviate it like faster surfing.

Whereas HGSS did nothing to even approach fixing the level scaling. Which isn’t crucial to the setting at all. But hey, here’s a safari zone that’s really kind of esoteric and complicated in regards to how you can get anything meaningful out of it. That’s fun right?

I just don’t feel like Emerald added enough content that was compelling or wasn’t frustrating. So I didn’t miss it all. The Battle Facilities were like a special kinda of pulling teeth.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm here to say that Pokemon Quest is kinda stupid with some baffling design choices but also it's extremely addictive and I love it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also if they don't replace some of the Channelers in the Tower with some variety of Hex Maniac, I riot.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The only Battle Frontier bits that were in any way good were the Factory and the Tower.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The only thing from Emerald that ORAS really needed was the updated gym teams. I was dreading the psychic twin gym and then when I got up to them they didn't even have the Claydol/Xatu.

I'm also glad that it has Steven as the champion instead of yet another pile of water types.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wallace should've been excised entirely and replaced with Juan.

Juan has class.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Funky Valentine posted:

Wallace should've been excised entirely and replaced with Juan.

Juan has class.

This would also remove the confusion of having two completely unrelated characters named Wally and Wallace.

edit: Wally's new battle music justifies ORAS as a good remake. That and the adorable dumb salute that Team Magma does when you fight them.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://twitter.com/NintendoForce/status/1017805925585965056

he longs for death

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

This would also remove the confusion of having two completely unrelated characters named Wally and Wallace.

edit: Wally's new battle music justifies ORAS as a good remake. That and the adorable dumb salute that Team Magma does when you fight them.

That Victory Road battle with Wally is anime as gently caress in ORAS and I wouldn't have it any other way, especially cause he has the Mega Gallade :allears:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So I'm late to the SuMo party and playing through Ultra Sun as my first exposure to the generation.

Island 2's totem Pokemon don't gently caress around huh. That Marowak seemed unbeatable until I realised that absurd attack stat probably came from a Thick Club and thiefed it.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
If anyone has a spare Thundurus/Tornadus code from Target, it would be appreciated. Unfortunately don't have one near me. Thanks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

ORAS is the one Pokemon game I’ve never finished, it was honestly just awful and I’m tired of the ludicrous amounts of handholding

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I wanna say ORAS had a much better distribution of mega stones, but honestly, I got as far as Mega Altaria and stopped looking. It added pokémon Amie, gave the enemy teams some personality, and spruced up Mauville City. I enjoyed it.

HGSS added some cool features, but it still had a hosed level curve and anemic Kanto.

FRLG was by far the shittiest set of remakes, and it looks like that's the one they're choosing to channel.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Vinylshadow posted:

I can't wait for the deep philosophical debates in M22

Maybe this time the english dub won't utterly butcher the message the movie was trying to send (Fighting is Bad in a series where cockfighting is literally the core mechanic is hysterical)

Its gonna be worse since the Pokemon Company is somehow worse at dubbing than 4Kids was. They replace the music with bland poo poo that kills any kind of excitement in a scene.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TheKingofSprings posted:

ORAS is the one Pokemon game I’ve never finished, it was honestly just awful and I’m tired of the ludicrous amounts of handholding

Same.

Well, i finished it a year after dropping it, but it was bad nonetheless.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Rudoku posted:

Its gonna be worse since the Pokemon Company is somehow worse at dubbing than 4Kids was. They replace the music with bland poo poo that kills any kind of excitement in a scene.

I mean 4kids replaced all the music in the first movie as well.

The dub of the first movie is honestly the worst 4kids dub of any Pokemon related thing.

...other than the Legend of Thunder special, now that I think about it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

I mean 4kids replaced all the music in the first movie as well.

The dub of the first movie is honestly the worst 4kids dub of any Pokemon related thing.

...other than the Legend of Thunder special, now that I think about it.

Album was a fuckin' bop tho

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Waffleman_ posted:

And that is why they get a pass.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Speaking of ORAS, I tried to take on the elite 4 rematch with the random Pokemon this thread picked for me all at level 56. Phoebe's Chandelure wiped my whole team and I didn't have the strength or speed to counter it in any way. I think I'll try again after a few more levels, maybe give someone Rain Dance to weaken that Flamethrower.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rudoku posted:

And that is why they get a pass.

Only half the songs in this fuckin' thing were even in the movie, and half of THOSE were just the end credits.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This album didnt have the Pokemon Dance Mix in it which was hilariously disappointing for my elementary kid self, gave it a hard pass at the time

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
So I skipped gen4 when it came out, and I'm thinking of ebaying an old cartridge and playing through it for completion's sake. Should I get Pearl, or just go ahead and get Platinum? Like, is it significantly different, like how B2W2 had totally new storylines? Or is it essentially the same game?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Jim the Nickel posted:

So I skipped gen4 when it came out, and I'm thinking of ebaying an old cartridge and playing through it for completion's sake. Should I get Pearl, or just go ahead and get Platinum? Like, is it significantly different, like how B2W2 had totally new storylines? Or is it essentially the same game?

Go for Plat. It's essentially the same game but playable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jim the Nickel posted:

For the love of god do not get Pearl, it's awful. The story is roughly the same but Platinum fixes a million gameplay problems and is genuinely a lot of fun, Diamond and Pearl were terrible.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I am playing a Pokemon game for the first time: Ultra Sun.

I am still on the first island but I wandered into the Festival Plaza and tried out wonder trade and ended up with a level 100 Arceus in return for my level 9 Meowth. Is that normal? It seems awfully high compared to the rest of my team and I imagine battling with it will suck the fun out of the game. Is there any risk of getting a cheated Pokémon or anything? I don’t know how this works..

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

doingitwrong posted:

I am still on the first island but I wandered into the Festival Plaza and tried out wonder trade and ended up with a level 100 Arceus in return for my level 9 Meowth. Is that normal? It seems awfully high compared to the rest of my team and I imagine battling with it will suck the fun out of the game. Is there any risk of getting a cheated Pokémon or anything? I don’t know how this works..

Wonder Trade is basically enabling full randomness. It's probably best not to use anything super OP you get from it, but it can be fun to spin the wheel every now and then. So yeah, it's normal, but not balanced.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
If you have other options I would avoid ebay and just buy a cartridge at a GameStop or local trade in place. Every last video game of any kind I've ever gotten through ebay was a bootleg.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I wanna say ORAS had a much better distribution of mega stones
Damning with faint praise, since they'd have to try pretty hard to top X/Y's "90% of these are postgame for... reasons?".

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

imo the worst thing about ORAS is the distinct lack of an exploud mega stone. I want boomburst to shatter the eardrums of everyone in a one kilometre radius

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

U.T. Raptor posted:

Damning with faint praise, since they'd have to try pretty hard to top X/Y's "90% of these are postgame for... reasons?".

That you could only pick up at certain times of day.

Which can be gotten around by adjusting your system clock, but the point is that limiting them being available only at certain times of day was a pretty dumb choice.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

I...hesitate to call Wally's "Battle" theme a...well battle theme, as it's barely 40 seconds long and doesn't even loop properly

As en encounter theme, it's alright, but once the battle starts, I'll switch over to something a little more appropriate

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

The Bee posted:

Wonder Trade is basically enabling full randomness. It's probably best not to use anything super OP you get from it, but it can be fun to spin the wheel every now and then. So yeah, it's normal, but not balanced.

Cool, thanks. I’ll just keep flailing my way along then and save this guy for later.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I came back to the series with Ultra Sun after quitting at Pearl, and Wonder Trade is weird. I tried to play at the same time as a friend, with us occasionally battling, but Wonder Trade gives us random overpowered legendaries or lvl 1 hatches with overpowered moves, which are much better to use in link battles than the mons you get elsewhere in the game. This makes it not very fun and disrupts the balance of the game where you get gradually stronger mons (well, except Hawlucha for some reason which is overpowered early on).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like ORAS since it (used to, anyway) give you reasons to restart it and try out different teams

Speed Boost Torchic, Shiny Beldum, Shiny Rayquaza...

Kinda pitied Brendan as a result of that

"Go, level 5 Treecko."
"Go, level 70 demigod."

It made the end credits absolutely hysterical

https://twitter.com/minamono_/status/912924156475318272

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

doingitwrong posted:

That Arceus is definitely a hacked mon. Now there's no need to worry about it loving your game up or anything of that nature, but I would just leave it in the PC box for now since even if it did listen to you, it would obliterate the game's difficulty.

FYI, Arceus is the God of all Pokemon, so enjoy that freebie. :v: