Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Yeah, it's a confusing picture of the tunnel section of a Porsche 914. It's like it's being shown off in the hallway of a hotel convention center. I thought it would be easier to find pics but I guess most of them had the lines replaced or the car burnt to the ground before decent digital photos were common.

If the battery tray doesn't look great, run the gently caress away, rust below spreads to load bearing areas.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It was nice knowing you fellas. Welp, I have to get going now. Good luck.

Per tradition, the ability to abandon ship is reserved for those on upper decks. Get hosed, poors!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The B-52 until the G variant had ejection seats for almost everyone, but the tail gunner was expected to clamber through a hole like it's 1943

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should have just made the whole compartment fall out so he could keep shooting baddies as he floats down.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The F-111 ejected the entire crew cabin.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

The F-111 ejected the entire crew cabin.

With portholes for the men to shoot out of?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cojawfee posted:

With portholes for the men to shoot out of?

Something something AeroGavin.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I assume it then formed the head

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Cojawfee posted:

The worst part of Challenger was the guy screaming that the launch would fail because he noticed the problem, but it still went on because NASA wanted to prove the shuttle could be launched several times per year.

This is going back a couple of pages but my grandfather was eating his company's commissary with a former Thiokol engineer when Challenger blew up. He said the guy slammed his fist on the table and just shouted, "the loving o-rings!"

Everybody at Thiokol knew it was only a matter of time before it would happen.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Pepperoneedy posted:

This is going back a couple of pages but my grandfather was eating his company's commissary with a former Thiokol engineer when Challenger blew up. He said the guy slammed his fist on the table and just shouted, "the loving o-rings!"

Everybody at Thiokol knew it was only a matter of time before it would happen.

The Challenger explosion was in an ethics class that was part of our standard curriculum at school, especially with engineering students. If some dumb-poo poo businessman is pressuring you to act in a way that threatens lives, you tell them to gently caress off or make them strap their asses in instead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
Pillbug
Richard Feynman kicked asses and took names at that hearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOzoLdfWyKw

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

honda whisperer posted:

That's thread title poo poo there.

I second this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edit: nope

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ripoff posted:

The Challenger explosion was in an ethics class that was part of our standard curriculum at school, especially with engineering students. If some dumb-poo poo businessman is pressuring you to act in a way that threatens lives, you tell them to gently caress off or make them strap their asses in instead.

I think it's standard fare in introductory engineering/ethics classes. Textbook example, literally.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mine as well for a professional ethics class.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Even aside from the O-rings losing resiliency at low temperatures, it was just a fundamentally flawed design. A primary O-ring failed to seal entirely on STS-22, at a launch temperature of 75 degrees F. Tests following STS-51C showed that even at 75 degrees, the O-rings were incapable of reliably preventing blow-by and could take up to 2.4 seconds to expand to fill the gap. At 50 degrees, they took 10 minutes to do so.

They got lucky 24 times. 25th time caught up to them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cojawfee posted:

They should have just made the whole compartment fall out so he could keep shooting baddies as he floats down.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe with it's own little wings and jet engine?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Darchangel posted:

That's what I was thinking. Maybe with it's own little wings and jet engine?

Of course. This escape capsule needs wings and an engine. And if it is going to have wings, it needs mounting points for missiles and bombs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cojawfee posted:

Of course. This escape capsule needs wings and an engine. And if it is going to have wings, it needs mounting points for missiles and bombs.

Well, it's already got the gun.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Found this pulley lying in the middle of the road. Didn't know they could fall off like that. Somebody is going to be sad today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like an A/C pulley, and with a slipping clutch they can get red hot.

e: in the larger pic it actually looks like a crank pulley with a failed insulator.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 17, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It might be a harmonic balancer, on some the outer ring is just bonded with rubber to the centre part of the pulley. Looks like there's little chunks of rubber there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5KZZ1TMJ8Y&t=55s

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
It's the crank pulley/harmonic balancer. The rubber that bonds the center to the pulley rots eventually. There's nothing else that keeps them together.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Wow you guys are pros. Yup it has what looks like rotted rubber on the inside. Too bad it doesn't have any part numbers or we could tell what kind of car it comes from and I could warn the owner haha. It has 4 teeth so doesn't match the Hyundai in the video.

https://imgur.com/a/DPa3iES for the album.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The owner knew when the alternator light came on and the power steering took a poo poo. :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

STR posted:

The owner knew when the alternator light came on and the power steering took a poo poo. :v:

Presuming they look at their dashboard lights... :P

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I would hope they noticed it got a lot harder to turn :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's also assuming the AC was driven off the same belt.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

STR posted:

I would hope they noticed it got a lot harder to turn :v:

If there's one thing I've learned from riding around with friends who aren't car people, it's that someone who sees their vehicle as a driving appliance is incredibly capable of ignoring inputs from all senses telling them that something has gone wrong.

That is of course not to say that the car people actually fix the problems, but they can usually rattle off the list of what's wrong and how bad it is, where the others will be like "I never noticed" when you ask about the obvious misfire causing the entire car to shake while the CEL tries to blink SOS in morse.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 17, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"I never noticed" is just code for "I totally heard poo poo making bad noises but I didn't want to get ripped off AGAIN by that scumbag mechanic who's been warning me about it for two years because we all know they make poo poo up to rip us off."

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
~car people~ can be worse; someone who knows just enough to be dangerous will get a CEL, diagnose it, then if it's minor they'll drive with it forever rather than fix it, and miss other issues that would've triggered a light, but since it's already permanently on, go unnoticed until something explodes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Javid posted:

~car people~ can be worse; someone who knows just enough to be dangerous will get a CEL, diagnose it, then if it's minor they'll drive with it forever rather than fix it, and miss other issues that would've triggered a light, but since it's already permanently on, go unnoticed until something explodes.

When i bought my BMW, there was a monster energy sticker over the check engine light.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Javid posted:

it me, not replacing the failing o2 sensor in my car for 3 years. But it still passes emissions so :confuoot:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Javid posted:

It me, also, but in my defense I literally couldn't pay for the repairs unless they were structural until recently. Which means my car is mega-boned now, because most of the maintenance is too far gone to fix without replacing major parts. At least I know enough to replace cheap bits that can be reached, like the MAF sensor, and to top off fluids in weird places, like the power steering fluid.

It's still a poo poo heap that's never going to get better, but at least it's still running :unsmith:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Powershift posted:

When i bought my BMW, there was a monster energy sticker over the check engine light.

When it comes on, chug a Monster brah

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DJ Commie posted:

When it comes on, chug a Monster brah

Should my heart be going this fast?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Danger to ventricles!!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The first time I ever drank Redline, I was driving into Portland for the first time solo after spending my entire life on non-city roads. I pounded the entire thing in the parking lot of a truck stop 2 hours from my destination before reading the label:

- drink 1/4 of the bottle
- think about your life choices for a half hour
- if you're not totally speed-hosed, drink another 1/4
- save the rest for tomorrow
- NEVER DRINK THE WHOLE THING ALL AT ONCE OR YOU'LL PROBABLY EXPERIENCE TOTAL CARDIAC EXPLOSION

Welp. No choices.

I have to say, having that much focus makes it really easy to drive in traffic for about a half hour, and then it's too overwhelming. And that's assuming you get to that level without almost vomiting in an Arby's parking lot while wishing for death.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I tried 5 hour energy on the way to the airport for a trip to Minnesota 4 years ago and it didn't even keep me awake, nevermind alert. Also had horrible aftertaste and made me feel nauseated. 0/10 would not try again.

This bearing was every bit as gacked as it sounds. Gigantic craters in the races and the balls all looked about like the moon if not worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-3O4bCICZI

Still gotta do the other side... It's just whining right now and I'm lazy. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
My dumbass friend recently bought an Aztek with a mostly-shredded serpentine belt. He wan't worried about it because they included a new one. I replaced the the belt and almost immediately it had slipped off the crank pulley and was rubbing against the case. I had never seen a pulley fail and I didn't know what this engine was supposed to look like so it was confusing as hell. Fortunately the 3400 SFI is really common so I found the answer with enough googleing. Unfortunately it's still an Aztek.

Only registered members can see post attachments!