Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Yes but when you have multiple weapons equipped you're not getting the bonus from all of them all the time, just the one that's in your hands. Like my Cyrus' Elem. Atk is 359 when he's using his staff but drops down to a 267 if he is using his polearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Look at this loving scrub who doesn't hold down the B button to try and move fast even in games that don't have a run feature.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Therion debuffing an enemy's defense while Primrose buffs your heavy hitter's attack and then said heavy hitter goes HAM on a stunned boss is so good. Not even level 10 and Alfyn was doing 1200+ damage to bosses. and recovering SP in the process because of his passive.

Primrose's mystery effect dance being able to apply 2-4 effects when you spend points is also real good, except when it applies the +atk buff multiple times since the duration doesn't stack. :(

Alfyn being a warrior chemist is real good too. Can heal people for 1k HP with 45g worth of items, in the event his healing spell isn't enough. And heals when he removes status effects from people with his concoctions, which made his boss fight go real smooth.

Therion/Alyfn/Primrose so far. Not sure if I want to go for H'aanit or Olberic next. Thinking H'aanit because I've used Olberic in the first demo and I think I'd rather have more damage than a tanky character right now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So like, is there a map I should be buying? The minimap is literally just a foggy circle where you can't see poo poo on it and I've never seen something more useless in a game in my life

It's a radar, not a minimap. :eng101:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Olberic can put out some hella damage but I absolutely can't argue with h'aanit's versatility. She's a fun character and make no mistake

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Welp, Primrose's waltz just summoned a monster that hit the enemies for 9700ish damage with exploding fist. Shame it was just trash mobs because I'm pretty sure that'd one shot most/all chapter 1 bosses. :stare:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a point to going around fighting people with H'aanit or Olberic other than it being fun to punch out a whole town

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Therion debuffing an enemy's defense while Primrose buffs your heavy hitter's attack and then said heavy hitter goes HAM on a stunned boss is so good. Not even level 10 and Alfyn was doing 1200+ damage to bosses.
Tressa can already deal more damage than that unbuffed during her prologue just by hiring other people to do it for her.

Always looking for a bargain!

(I do wonder about the scaling or lack thereof though. It would be a shame if hired helps were worthless halfway through the game even if they're completely overpowered early game)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Is there a point to going around fighting people with H'aanit or Olberic other than it being fun to punch out a whole town

Sometimes they're standing in front of doors and you really want to go in the doors even though there's probably nothing behind the doors

Caros
May 14, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Welp, Primrose's waltz just summoned a monster that hit the enemies for 9700ish damage with exploding fist. Shame it was just trash mobs because I'm pretty sure that'd one shot most/all chapter 1 bosses. :stare:

Not sure if you've encountered it, but word of warning, while most of the effects seem to be positive, there is one specific effect that drops the HP of your entire party to 1. So, uh... make sure you set it up so your healer goes immediately after. Just in case.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ManSedan posted:

After the original demo I went pretty much lights out on this game. Chose Alfyn at the start because I asked my wife who to play and she used to work at an apothecary. I was kind of unsure at first but turns out this dude is super fun! He’s real earnest and I like his combination of abilities. I need to explore more with his concoct ability, any good tips on it?

The heal-all concoctions are really good, does 800HP to everyone which will carry you for a good while, likewise for the SP ones (and I assume BP ones too). The offensive concoctions deal two (and looks like later items can do three) hits of a specific element, with the Fire and Wind ones being readily buyable, with a possible bonus debuff depending on the mix.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Your Computer posted:

Tressa can already deal more damage than that unbuffed during her prologue just by hiring other people to do it for her.

Always looking for a bargain!

(I do wonder about the scaling or lack thereof though. It would be a shame if hired helps were worthless halfway through the game even if they're completely overpowered early game)

I had primrose recruit the 5 star(?) bouncer guy outside the bar before I left. Considering how useful the Old Man was with 2* strength I figure this bouncer will put the hurt on the next boss I encounter.

(you should just buy that :tressa101: smilie)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Sell me on this game please.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

There's a demo that lets you play the first couple of hours (restricted to 3 hours) as any of the characters to see their prologue/first chapter and recruit other characters.

Evil Fluffy posted:

(you should just buy that :tressa101: smilie)

I'm waiting to see if I can buy the excited Tressa smiley first :ssh:

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Your Computer posted:

I like my party

Alfyn: hey there buddy what troubles you?
NPC: *tells story about their troubles*
Ophelia: There you go. May the flame light your path.
H'aanit: NOW FITE ME NERD
Tressa: *loots the body*

Another sidequest well done. :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hows everyone liking it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

eonwe posted:

hows everyone liking it

it's a very relaxing and fun game. I went Therion>H'aanit for demo and now I just got superdetective mage Cyrus, who appears to be looking for some hosed-up Ninth Gate type of book. His boss fight actually scaled pretty well so it was reasonably tough. I skipped over Ophelia for now and will probably be making a run for wherever Primrose is. I feel it's better to do that anyway since the next Chapter 2 for my guys is suggested Level 22 and I'm only at 10.

How often do sidequests come up? Should I be finding any so far?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

eonwe posted:

hows everyone liking it

I'm liking it.

DLC Inc posted:

For Chapter 1 they pop up after you do a character's quest and recruit them. There's 2-4 per city, and a lot of them require travel between cities and what have you.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

DLC Inc posted:

it's a very relaxing and fun game. I went Therion>H'aanit for demo and now I just got superdetective mage Cyrus, who appears to be looking for some hosed-up Ninth Gate type of book. His boss fight actually scaled pretty well so it was reasonably tough. I skipped over Ophelia for now and will probably be making a run for wherever Primrose is. I feel it's better to do that anyway since the next Chapter 2 for my guys is suggested Level 22 and I'm only at 10.

It seems like every town has like 3, with a few in the overworld?

The ones in the starting towns don't show up until after you go through the character's first chapter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

hows everyone liking it
I'm very slow so I'm still doing picking up characters and essentially just doing what was in the demo (since there's no time limit, yay!) but I'm enjoying it :3:

Mega64 posted:

For Chapter 1 they pop up after you do a character's quest and recruit them. There's 2-4 per city, and a lot of them require travel between cities and what have you.
And they usually only show up if you leave and re-enter the town.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I'm liking starting as Alfyn because his 'travel the world to help people' lack of direction makes it so he actually seems like he's doing his story going around recruiting people. So what if the first person he helped was a thief.

Just got H'annit, and now I'm wondering whether to continue to Ophelia or backtrack to Primrose since everyone's been talking about her Dancing abilities. I planned on saving Prim and Olberic for last because of the first demo, but now I'm not sure...

Edit: And Tressa will take the same amount of time to get either way, so that's not helping me decide.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 14, 2018

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Octopath is real good y’all.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

RC Cola posted:

I'll take the opposite approach to what you've had so far. I did buy it, but regret it at full price. So far (I've done most of the chapter 2 stories) the dialog isn't anything special, although it's a lot less Anime/JRPG stereotypical for a Square game which I count as plus. The main problem is you have to grind out character levels. Best case scenario if you pick four characters you want to stick with permanently, then you can level those four and just deal with a really underleveled fourth whenever you have to sub them in for their story, but you still have to do a lot of grinding to get your levels up to being able to do the story with your main 3/4 characters.

For example, after finishing all the chapter 1 content, my original character was only level 15 and my other three I was planning to stick with were 12-14, and the recommended level of the next story content is anywhere between 21 and 27. That was several hours of work just fighting random battles, all of which take time to pick the right skills and make use of the full combat system. That is super tedious when other modern games often give you an autobattle system or make it so you can do a reasonable job not spending 5 minutes in a fight that is just going to give you a fraction of a level.

And now I'm really getting tired of H'aanit path action because it takes a lot more setup and management than Olberic's, plus I've found a couple fights I've been unable to beat with her that are side quest related purely on the basis of not having the right combination of beasts. So now I'm trying to level up Olberic, which is basically starting from scratch at level 9 and even fighting level 25+ encounters, its still taking dozens of fights.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Finally killed a cait and holy poo poo that was a hell of an outcome.

Speaking of xp, I'm about to get my fifth character and am wondering if only the active characters level since I can't switch out my main character.

edit and does Cyrus' percentage to succeed increase as he levels up, or are those static for each NPC?

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 14, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pichupal posted:

I'm liking starting as Alfyn because his 'travel the world to help people' lack of direction makes it so he actually seems like he's doing his story going around recruiting people. So what if the first person he helped was a thief.

That's the same reason I'm really glad I started with Tressa.

Searching for an ancient magical tome? Sounds cool! A sacred pilgrimage? Take me with you! Steal some stuff from rich people? H*ck yeah I'm in! :dance:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

is anyone else having crash problems with this? I was fine until I started doing H'annit's quest. It crashed twice in the forest and once during the boss after the music shut off for some reason.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I haven't had to grind at all yet, and I've switched my party members around multiple times. I went and unlocked all the jobs before taking on chapter 2 and that got me levels enough that it's been fine

I'm only just finishing chapter 2 with my 4th current-party-members though, maybe I'll feel differently later

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Shoehead posted:

My local (non US) UPS are awful for poo poo like this. They keep leaving our parcels in gardens of houses with the same number as our apartment without thinking "huh hang on it says "apartment" on here, and I can see some apartment blocks over the tops of these houses, maybe I should be there instead of this loving house?"

My local UPS has had the tracking tell me my stuff is out for delivery, then when evening hits it rolls back to being in a warehouse in another state and their support claims I'm wrong, and it never happened. I've been at home and heard the local driver sticking the 'missed you' note to my door without knocking, and he refuses to drop it off at the apartment office (which is like 20 feet from my door.)

He did inform me that he idles in a local car dealership in the afternoons, and that I am welcome to come find him to get my stuff. I honestly go to Gamestop at this point before ordering from Amazon.

For actual Octopath chat - I started with Ophilia and in glad I did, it seems like it would have been much harder going without her big party heals.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm about 6 hours in after last night, finished Primrose's prologue and added her to my team of Therion, Alfyn, and H'aanit. Not super thrilled with the way the team is shaping up, though, I'd like a little more AOE now that the fights are consistently against 3-4 monsters. So far Prim hasn't been much use, only one weapon type and only one magic type, and she does the least damage per hit of anyone. She's a few levels behind, but the others were much closer in damage by now. I'm really not sure how she's supposed to be played, her abilities seem really specific and boss-centric, although I did just get the Darkness AOE spell, which is nice. Thinking about swapping in Cyrus and Ophelia for Prim and Alfyn once I unlock them, though. I really want to like Alfyn but I feel like I have nothing to do with him in a lot of fights. If he can't break an enemy with axes or ice and no one needs healing, I'm stuck whacking a guy for negligible damage for most of his turns.

On the battle system: once an enemy is "broken", do all attacks do the same damage or will they still take more damage from weapons they're weak against?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Phenotype posted:

I'm about 6 hours in after last night, finished Primrose's prologue and added her to my team of Therion, Alfyn, and H'aanit. Not super thrilled with the way the team is shaping up, though, I'd like a little more AOE now that the fights are consistently against 3-4 monsters. So far Prim hasn't been much use, only one weapon type and only one magic type, and she does the least damage per hit of anyone. She's a few levels behind, but the others were much closer in damage by now. I'm really not sure how she's supposed to be played, her abilities seem really specific and boss-centric, although I did just get the Darkness AOE spell, which is nice. Thinking about swapping in Cyrus and Ophelia for Prim and Alfyn once I unlock them, though. I really want to like Alfyn but I feel like I have nothing to do with him in a lot of fights. If he can't break an enemy with axes or ice and no one needs healing, I'm stuck whacking a guy for negligible damage for most of his turns.

On the battle system: once an enemy is "broken", do all attacks do the same damage or will they still take more damage from weapons they're weak against?

Looks like in general. I noticed this when playing the prologue demo and a enemy got broke by Primrose and Terssa hitting that enemy with her weapon that didn't have a weakness.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Which Alfyn axe skill should I get first?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Phenotype posted:

If he can't break an enemy with axes or ice and no one needs healing, I'm stuck whacking a guy for negligible damage for most of his turns.

His offensive concoctions deal two hits of an element and are very useful at minimum for breaking Fire and Wind weaknesses since you can buy those ingredients easily and cheaply.

As for AoE, most characters have an AoE for one weapon or element that's part of their unlockable skills. Some, like H'aanit's, are really good since they're also multi-hit, plus her companion creature can also multi-hit. Olberic starts with his outright. And Cyrus is pretty much nothing but AoE, with his more expensive techs hitting twice to boot, and he has that for three different elements, so if you're wanting AoE Cyrus is a fantastic choice.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Rirse posted:

Looks like in general. I noticed this when playing the prologue demo and a enemy got broke by Primrose and Terssa hitting that enemy with her weapon that didn't have a weakness.

But in that case, doesn't it mean there's no point to ever buying a second AOE or single-target ability? I thought about this because I just bought Alfyn's single-target Axe chop, but it seems pointless to ever use it over a regular attack before an enemy is broken. Then after an enemy is broken and I want to boost an ability for damage, he already has the Ice single-target attack to use.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Shyfted One posted:

Which Alfyn axe skill should I get first?

Last Resort, even at high HP it does solid damage, and target-all is always great to have for randoms/boss adds.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My only complaints so far is that some of the sprite work feels kinda cheap. I like the big enemy in battle sprites but on the overworld some NPC's look like they have clubs for arms and when Tressa was holding a book in her intro I thought she found like, a frying pan or something. I get they wanted something between SNES and PS1 but I wouldn't of minded bigger/more detailed sprites personally.

Even if it is funny to see a overworld sprite suddenly turn into a GIGANTIC FAT MAN in a chair out of nowhere.

Other complaint just being that I think the story structure feels like it's going to be a mess jumping back and forth between 8 unrelated plot threads all at once. Maybe as I get further it'll be more gentle but right now it's kind of hard to stay motivated when I have to sit through 8 intros back to back. That's just me though

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Phenotype posted:

But in that case, doesn't it mean there's no point to ever buying a second AOE or single-target ability? I thought about this because I just bought Alfyn's single-target Axe chop, but it seems pointless to ever use it over a regular attack before an enemy is broken. Then after an enemy is broken and I want to boost an ability for damage, he already has the Ice single-target attack to use.

Well obviously it'll be the better option if Alfyn has a higher physical attack stat?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

His offensive concoctions deal two hits of an element and are very useful at minimum for breaking Fire and Wind weaknesses since you can buy those ingredients easily and cheaply.

Wait, where is this? I found a shop that sold me a million of the minor damage dust, but I've only found a handful of the poison and confusing seeds that go with them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Other complaint just being that I think the story structure feels like it's going to be a mess jumping back and forth between 8 unrelated plot threads all at once. Maybe as I get further it'll be more gentle but right now it's kind of hard to stay motivated when I have to sit through 8 intros back to back. That's just me though

I kinda wonder whether it might be better to do two separate games of four-person parties to experience everything rather than just one game of all eight. Less micromanagement that way, which is always nice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Wait, where is this? I found a shop that sold me a million of the minor damage dust, but I've only found a handful of the poison and confusing seeds that go with them.

Noxroot is the fire one and is sold in a few towns, though I'm not sure off-hand which ones. The healing component you can buy does wind damage if combined with the damage dust. I can double-check later on names/locations.

I haven't seen the other components on sale in any of the Chapter 1 towns, though when I was using Therion he helped snag a few from randoms here and there. I'm really hoping once I start doing the Chapter 2 towns more of that stuff can be bought.

e: Thinking about it, you might have to inquire the right NPC first to expand the shop's inventory to carry those.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 14, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
okay what the gently caress Octopath Traveler :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I kinda wonder whether it might be better to do two separate games of four-person parties to experience everything rather than just one game of all eight. Less micromanagement that way, which is always nice.

I'm not sure but so far it feels like the expected level curve expects you to be doing all 8? I just finished my 4th party members chapter 2 quest, and my main is only level 30; chapter 3 expects me to be level 40 so that's obviously not going to happen for a minute.