Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

white sauce posted:

Hahahahaha white women are insane

the best part is the original thread where she shuns, then unshuns to get in the last word with carl beijer where she just has to namedrop the school she went to as if it means anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Condiv posted:

i cannot believe the russians hacked hillary's cyberbrain and made her waste all her money trying to win texas

what won't they do???

Win an election for the dems

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thoguh posted:

It's only worth bringing up again because lol at any narrative that anyone but Clinton is responsible for Donald Trump being president.

I didn't realize the voter ID law in Wisconsin was her fault.

(Heh, remember when Obama said he was gonna spend time fighting voter suppression after the election?)

Tortoiseburger
Mar 27, 2007

The Finest of the Tortoise

Fleetwood posted:

that photo where she's wandered into the tiny apartment and she's afraid of being abducted into whatever the left version of hoste l is, she's not sure if she's still in cyberspace or a poor persons home

it's the best photo, because she simultaneously looks lost, and it's why she lost.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The US ratio is pretty interesting there, with left and right being relatively high and the center being so very low. Also, lol Germany.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tortoiseburger posted:

it's the best photo, because she simultaneously looks lost, and it's why she lost.

hahha they were hoping this piece of poo poo candidate would be able to garner enough facebook likes to beat the other piece of poo poo candidate

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

docbeard posted:

I didn't realize the voter ID law in Wisconsin was her fault.

(Heh, remember when Obama said he was gonna spend time fighting voter suppression after the election?)

remember when Obama completely ignored the big pro-union protests in Wisconsin and the Walker recall attempt?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Main Paineframe posted:

remember when Obama completely ignored the big pro-union protests in Wisconsin and the Walker recall attempt?

After saying on the campaign trail that he'd walk picket lines.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Crowsbeak posted:

The truth is that the Dems by pretty much allowing CNN and especially MSNBC start claiming poo poo about Trump being a Russian agent destroyed any actual real believability to Russian collusion in the Trump campaign.

like I guess this is an improvement over "there wasn't any interference whatsoever" but with each day that passes by it becomes increasingly insane to think that Trump isn't working on Putin's behalf

like this week alone he explicitly absolved Putin of responsibility for Crimea, accused other countries of being Russian puppets (projection as usual), is attacking NATO itself, and has refused to cancel his private, solitary summit with Putin where the two will meet without any aides or handlers or anyone present to witness what's being discussed

That's just what we openly know and is independently verifiable. We've had another two reports come out this week about how deeply interwined Trump's properties are with Russian interests and Russian oligarchs

Come on man. You post in this thread, so you're obviously at least politically aware and interested

Main Paineframe posted:

aarrrghgharhggh This will never cease to piss me off even years and years later. The easiest opportunity to use the bully pulpit and he loving hid.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

I remember how after the DNC Hillary right up till the 9/11 thing like spent over a month almost entirely doing fundraisers in The Hamptons, LA, SF, and New York. Trump was speeding around the country, but she was so sure she had this in the bag. Also I think she was for the most part doing the same thing after Bernie conceded.

The worst part was telling unions and their lost time paid organizers and activists to sit around and do nothing to fake trump out while he was steadily gaining in the polls.

In retrospect the beginning of the end came when manafort and lewandowski got the axe in favor of professional campaign staff who promptly told their client to shut the gently caress up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

just last week a group of GOP senators, including my senator Ron Johnson, suddenly decided to spend July 4 in Moscow and came back going "Guys Russia is actually really cool"

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

“From our schedule to our voter contact to where our organizers spend their time, almost everyone here interacts with his work and their work is influenced by his insights,” Mook said, calling Kriegel’s analyses the campaign’s “invisible guiding hand.”

Data rasputin robby mook also jealously guarded the outputs from his black box numbers machine and used it as leverage to keep all the other people in abuela's campaign who also wanted to be her chief of staff at bay.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Data rasputin robby mook also jealously guarded the outputs from his black box numbers machine and used it as leverage to keep all the other people in abuela's campaign who also wanted to be her chief of staff at bay.

I've seen better management practices from Decepticons.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

just last week a group of GOP senators, including my senator Ron Johnson, suddenly decided to spend July 4 in Moscow and came back going "Guys Russia is actually really cool"

the party of Reagan!!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/SikhProf/status/1018125650220212229

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

On the Russian thing, here's a thread:

https://twitter.com/dhnexon/status/1017969179494961157

quote:

3. I've actually had very strong priors against some of the more outrageous claims. I still do. But I don't know how you can process all this information—from Trump's behavior, to the indictments, to the things that no one actually disputes—and not update them.

4. What's the value in consistently being skeptical that the Russians took steps to try to get Trump elected or that the campaign itself encouraged them and made use of them? Why assert that none of this really matters because it couldn't possibly have affected the outcome?

5. If your concern is that it demobilizes opposition, what's the evidence for that? If your concern is that it undermines efforts to make the Dems more progressive, why not adopt @DavidKlion's argument that it *focuses* attention on oligarchic rent-extraction, capital mobility, &c?

6. Let's say that it's likely Mueller won't be able to directly link what we already know to Trump? I guess I can see the concern that this somehow backfires.... but I'm not sure how the GOP base is going to be *more* in the tank for Trump, or how this makes other issues 'go away.'

7. This leaves the fear of "Russophobia." I agree that we should not conclude that Russian efforts to destabilize the United States and the West requires a military response. But these efforts are real. They predate Trump-Russia. They tend to help right-wing movements.

8. So what does that leave? As best I can tell, a desire to 'burn it all down' and a view that if US 'imperialism' is the enemy, than the enemy of my enemy is my friend. That's a consistent position. But not, I suggest, one compatible with progressive policy goals.

9. Hence, I end with a question. Absent "liberals don't want change," what's the argument that members of the progressive left who *also* worry about Trump-Russia are suffering from motivated bias or overly strong priors?

10. I think it's more complicated. The US does a lot of things that progressives rightfully oppose (see Yemen, torture during the Bush admin, overly militarized foreign relations, &c) but that's a matter of taking charge of policy, not of 'burning it all down.'

https://twitter.com/MC_of_A/status/1018122414507675648

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Succ Zone: YOU THINK THIS IS SOME KIND OF GAME??

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's a bunch of real estate deals with oligarchs

like half of the poo poo they popped manafort with was forging loan applications

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Phone posted:

like half of the poo poo they popped manafort with was forging loan applications

if the mueller investigation only succeeds in putting manafort in prison it's a success

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Phone posted:

hasn't Russia been making real estate deals with property firms in the UK as well? I thought I'd read/heard a story about that a few months ago

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
fwiw it's not entirely unreasonable to think that there's something there to the 'russians got clinton models' line. if you recall the election, a lot of people were very surprised by trump going and having rallies in shithole parts of states that were considered clinton locks.

so either trump's campaign team was a bunch of incredibly savvy political operators who realized she was weak in those areas
or they knew that there was a good reason to go to those areas because someone told them where she was weak

:thunk:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

uncurable mlady posted:

fwiw it's not entirely unreasonable to think that there's something there to the 'russians got clinton models' line. if you recall the election, a lot of people were very surprised by trump going and having rallies in shithole parts of states that were considered clinton locks.

so either trump's campaign team was a bunch of incredibly savvy political operators who realized she was weak in those areas
or they knew that there was a good reason to go to those areas because someone told them where she was weak

:thunk:

i think the biggest takeaway is maybe don't delegate your political strategy to a machine

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if you're still in such a towering rage against Mother that you feel as though acknowledging russian election criming would be absolving her, you are a huge idiot moron

the russian election criming only worked because she was a steaming pile of poo poo as a candidate who was predictable, hackable, and lazy as gently caress, but it still happened

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

i don't blame people being delusional about the russia stuff, because of where this leads to in the end, and people don't want to imagine it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jazerus posted:

if you're still in such a towering rage against Mother that you feel as though acknowledging russian election criming would be absolving her, you are a huge idiot moron

the russian election criming only worked because she was a steaming pile of poo poo as a candidate who was predictable, hackable, and lazy as gently caress, but it still happened

You might also want any progressive candidates you're rooting for to be able to win despite Russian election interference. One way is to make sure it actually gets addressed. Another way is making deals with Russian intelligence, I guess. :shrug:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Condiv posted:

i think the biggest takeaway is maybe don't delegate your political strategy to a machine

eh, i'd suggest it's more that a machine cant' fix what is fundamentally a flawed candidate.

fwiw, clinton ran a pretty terrible campaign and that's the primary reason that she lost, but anyone who's sitting on the sidelines acting like russia didn't target her campaign and the US elections more generally in order to install someone that was more favorable to them is a credulous moron of the highest level

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Clinton did nothing for critical months before her October surprise.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Another way is making deals with Russian intelligence, I guess. :shrug:

It is shockingly easy to dupe members of the intelligence community, so this isn't as ridiculous of an idea.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Nonsense posted:

i don't blame people being delusional about the russia stuff, because of where this leads to in the end, and people don't want to imagine it.

well, a lack of evidence of collusion evidence doesn't help either. at this point, say trump called putin directly and asked for some help winning I don't know if it's enough to piss enough people off to impeach. maybe much earlier in his presidency, but almost 2 years in?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nonsense posted:

Clinton did nothing for critical months before her October surprise.

9/11/2016 never 4get

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

isn't as simple as the media portrays. Many times they had referendums regarding secession/incorporation into Russia. The last one's results were not out of line with previous. You may not have seen much recently, so it is understandable if you don't recognize it, democracy is pretty wild.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
a better candidate wouldn't have had a margin so tight that the Russia poo poo would have brought them down, but the Russia poo poo still happened

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

9/11/2016 never 4get

September and November

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

isn't as simple as the media portrays. Many times they had referendums regarding secession/incorporation into Russia. The last one's results were not out of line with previous. You may not have seen much recently, so it is understandable if you don't recognize it, democracy is pretty wild.

love too dismiss annexation

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Ah, yes, the democracy of being taken over by a foreign nation and then made to vote on a referendum about whether you're validating that takeover. :rolleyes:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
also lol @ russian controlled "referendums"

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The whole problem with buying into the trump-russia narrative is that it's too narrow of a lens. Leftist already know that foreign oligarchs have major influence on american policy.

Like all good conspiracy theories, russia-trump has a kernel of truth, but the point of it isn't to expose the perverse incentives of power between politics and capital, instead it's about justifying a worldview where the system is fine and this one president is an anomaly.

also takes like this:

quote:

Contrary to what some writers on the left have argued, the American public is legitimately interested in the Trump-Russia scandal and isn’t going to stop paying attention.

Is the problem. The fact that people watch Trump-Russia so they should continue to cover Trump-Russia is the same logic as people watch movies with white people so obviously we HAVE to make an all white adaption of AKIRA.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Please rank the following in order of preference:

vote cast in ignorance
vote cast with prescience
semi-informed vote
misinformed vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

tbh the revanchism against hashtag russiagate types itt seems weird given that the general c-spam consensus during the trump campaign was that he was absolutely surrounded by russian stooges and was 100% in the tank for putin

like, literally everyone posting called this and as i recall we were mostly amazed it wasn't getting picked up on more (even pre-dossier)

• Locked thread