Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Soothing Vapors posted:

RttNotZ just came in the mail from Team Covenant today

like, I knew what I was getting I willingly agreed to be ripped off by FFG, but there's something very stark about opening that big box and seeing the contents

Could you give a trip report for the third scenario once you get around to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Ubik_Lives posted:

Just wait until you play a Mystic with Time Warp in your deck.

You bastard!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Soothing Vapors posted:

RttNotZ just came in the mail from Team Covenant today

like, I knew what I was getting I willingly agreed to be ripped off by FFG, but there's something very stark about opening that big box and seeing the contents

Yeah that packaging sure is something.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This deckbox is weird. It's too wide one way and the other would be very oddly divided.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'm unhappy with the dividers being horizontal instead of vertical. I'm not sure how useful they'll end up being since they don't seem much wider/taller than the actual cards when sleeved.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

IIRC they make the dividers horizontal and vertical. Mine were definitely vertical anyway.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

suicidesteve posted:

IIRC they make the dividers horizontal and vertical. Mine were definitely vertical anyway.

They're talking about the Return to the Night of the Zealot box and dividers. They are a bit weird, and honestly the fan-made ones are way better.

I'm actually really tempted to just toss the box. This should have just been the same size as Labyrinths of Lunacy.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What exactly is that expansion? Is it an addon to the original core box's scenario? Like harder mode or something?

I'm new to Arkham so I am curious and it is a little unclear.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

It is supposed to upgrade the core from a beginner tutorial to something more fleshed out.

For example, the first mission involves more of your house, letting you explore more directions instead of the very basic and linear version in the core.

It isn't exactly more challenging since that is what selecting difficulty is for.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Labyrinths of Lunacy Trip Report (spoiler-free)

We had 11 of the 12 players who signed up show, so we split into groups of four, four, and three. We told everyone to build two investigator decks to make grouping them up easier, without running into problems with duplicate investigators. We ended up with the following:

Group A
Leo Anderson
Mark Harrigan
Agnes Baker
Carolyn Fern

Group B
Leo Anderson
Daisy Walker
William Yorick
Father Mateo

Group C
Leo Anderson
Minh Thi Phan
Sefina Rousseau (me)

I was the only investigator to die, and early, due to having to finish my group's objective completely blind because Group A (which featured two of my store co-workers...) didn't read the super obvious card text that would have told me exactly what to do. They will hear about this endlessly for the next week. This was fine, though, since the scenario requires you to do End of Round effects simultaneously, and to start each round with all three groups in synch. I spoiled the scenario ahead of time in order to be able to answer any questions folks might have, so biting the dust early made it way easier to facilitate the flow of the game, and, more importantly, didn't knock out any of the folks who came from out of town to play in my store.

All three groups trudged through their particular objectives, sometimes coming very close to death, but ultimately achieving all of their goals. No one else died, and all three groups beat the scenario for the best resolution you can get! It was pretty harrowing, but it was cool to sit back and watch each group hum and haw over the weird story assets and objectives that didn't seem to do anything for them, but might help out another group if they could trade it away.

Most interesting plays/combinations of the day:

--My co-worker's Carolyn Fern deck was purpose-built to keep everyone's sanity topped off, and boy did it do it's job. No one was ever suffering from sanity loss in their group. This was an insanely cool deck and I'm really glad he got it working fluidly
--Group B cobbling together JUST enough actions at the last possible moment to keep one of their group members from dying from scenario effects not once but TWICE during the game
--My group's Leo Anderson loading up around 10 ammo on a Shotgun over the course of the game and unloading a total of 38 damage on our group's copy of the end-boss, Eixodolon. We were able to send 14 extra damage to Group B's copy of Eixodolon, which is just shy of half the damage needed to kill him in a full 4-player group.
--Every group's Leo Anderson player competing for most allies on the board at one time

This is an insanely cool scenario and I'm really glad we got to run it with a full complement of players, all with wildly varying decks (except the Leo) that all ended up working pretty well together. My only gripe is that if one group is even one person smaller than the others, they will end up spending a good portion of each round just waiting for the other groups to finish, but it's a minor gripe when you consider all the fun scenario effects the game throws at you.

I highly recommend you all play the epic multiplayer mode with all three groups going at once. It is extremely unique and well worth the time put into it.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

New pack is up on the main site. The two player cards are an upgraded Mists of R'lyeh and Skeleton Key, which is a drat interesting card but I'm not sure if it's good. Using it frequently is very action intensive, but it does let you nail high shroud locations which have extra rewards for successfully investigating them or costly ways of increasing your chances (I'm only half-way through Carcosa and can't think of specific examples at the moment).

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kalko posted:

Skeleton Key, which is a drat interesting card but I'm not sure if it's good. Using it frequently is very action intensive, but it does let you nail high shroud locations which have extra rewards for successfully investigating them or costly ways of increasing your chances (I'm only half-way through Carcosa and can't think of specific examples at the moment).

combine it with this - https://arkhamdb.com/card/03192

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Played the first encounter in The Dunwich Horror last night with the deck I discussed above, and it went exceptionally well. Grabbed clues really fast, beat up a few baddies pretty good. Hindsight is 20/20, but I definitely get the "focus on strengths, don't shore up weaknesses" mantra now. I also see how healing is probably not the most useful thing I could be doing; will likely swap out the two emergency aids in the deck for some higher XP cards when the time comes.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Bringing in new players / good demo investigator decks?
Let's say I can rope in a couple people new to the game to try it out. I've heard the 1-core suggested decks are sub-par enough that one should introduce new players with better options if they are available.

It would be good to have a Fabulous Four set of investigators ready so I could run new players through Zealot. That way I don't have to explain deckbuilding - just hand them a prebuilt and we can jump in. Also would Return to Night of the Zealot be more immersive than regular Night of the Zealot? I have a particular group this weekend that has only run The Gathering with the 1-core prebuilts. Least effort answer is use the same core prebuilts and give them their XP upgrades based on last score and jump them into Midnight Masks. Can we switch to Return mode midstream or should we use the original core scenario version? Then there's the totally new players who I bet would benefit from the expanded version. If the prebuilt power curve is up to it.

I have a decent pool to use; 2x Core box, Dunwich box +6, Carcosa Box +6, Forgotten Age Box +0, RtNofZ.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Start with Night of the Zealot, without the expansion. It does a great job gradually introducing concepts.

What you, as someone whose played the game plenty of times before, consider kinda slow or boring isn't going to come across that way to someone brand new to the game.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Xlorp posted:

Bringing in new players / good demo investigator decks?

I would also suggest sticking with the Core Set scenarios, The Gathering/Midnight Masks/The Devourer Below. They are colloquially called the tutorial scenarios for a good reason.

Here's a Roland deck I used while teaching a friend to play 2-player. It's probably the same as DadouXIII's Lost in Time and Space iteration of their Roland deck--I don't remember if I modified it.

Here's an Agnes deck I built specifically for teaching the game to the same friend. She selected this one and ended up with a really well-rounded experience on The Gathering.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Kalko posted:

New pack is up on the main site. The two player cards are an upgraded Mists of R'lyeh and Skeleton Key, which is a drat interesting card but I'm not sure if it's good. Using it frequently is very action intensive, but it does let you nail high shroud locations which have extra rewards for successfully investigating them or costly ways of increasing your chances (I'm only half-way through Carcosa and can't think of specific examples at the moment).

I feel like Skeleton Key turns Leo de Luca into a clue gathering card, as long as your investigator has base 3 intellect.

I mean, it's still an expensive combo but what are you doing playing Rogue if not trying to jampack your deck full of those?

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

I feel like Skeleton Key turns Leo de Luca into a clue gathering card, as long as your investigator has base 3 intellect.

I mean, it's still an expensive combo but what are you doing playing Rogue if not trying to jampack your deck full of those?

You can even run it with Lantern and it doesn't matter what intellect value you have. As an extra bonus, run Lola Santiago and pick up a free clue during your first investigate action :)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zerf posted:

You can even run it with Lantern and it doesn't matter what intellect value you have. As an extra bonus, run Lola Santiago and pick up a free clue during your first investigate action :)

Ooh, as far as wonky combos go I like this one a lot.

Gogo gadget Wendy.

Or Jenny or Finn, I guess.

Kinda too bad they have 3, 3 and 4 intellect respectively, seems a waste.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

Ooh, as far as wonky combos go I like this one a lot.

Gogo gadget Wendy.

Or Jenny or Finn, I guess.

Kinda too bad they have 3, 3 and 4 intellect respectively, seems a waste.

OTOH, since it's a three-card combo, high intellect is still relevant until you manage to set it up, and I'd still run lockpicks. But with that card setup, all of them are guaranteed to be decent clue gatherers.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I would also suggest sticking with the Core Set scenarios, The Gathering/Midnight Masks/The Devourer Below. They are colloquially called the tutorial scenarios for a good reason.

Here's a Roland deck I used while teaching a friend to play 2-player. It's probably the same as DadouXIII's Lost in Time and Space iteration of their Roland deck--I don't remember if I modified it.

Here's an Agnes deck I built specifically for teaching the game to the same friend. She selected this one and ended up with a really well-rounded experience on The Gathering.
We didn't have a long time window for running both Midnight Masks and The Devourer Below so I picked their upgrades for them. The first round was just better versions of the cards they already had, and then some permanents and equipment for the final round. Everyone had good chances to shine doing something tricky with their deck or outrageously jammy to buy us another turn. We continued with the 'vanilla' campaign just so I could run it without worrying about any new Return to... rules or effects.

Without spoiling anything, we came to an odd agenda/act sequence that i think worked. Ancient Evils came through early and often, accelerating the agenda and then shuffling back in for another pass. We caught Agenda 1->2 first, then Act 1->2 and Act 2->3. Agenda 2->3 struck and it looked like we still had a chance to make Act 3 resolve. We could have done it the firepower way, and we could have done it the cheesy way, but is it still possible to Resolve Act 3 'normally' while Agenda 3 is up? We only had a last little bit of actions to do even with the opportunistic penalties levied.

Next campaign will be two of us fairly experienced and teaching most likely one solid RPG player next. Play as 3, have someone dual-run a pair to make 4, or have a communally owned 'dummy' investigator with all cards face up?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Xlorp posted:

Next campaign will be two of us fairly experienced and teaching most likely one solid RPG player next. Play as 3, have someone dual-run a pair to make 4, or have a communally owned 'dummy' investigator with all cards face up?

I don't understand this question. The game plays 1-4, why do you think you need a dummy/someone taking up twice as much time playing two investigators?

Edit: What is your perceived problem that you hope to address?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 9, 2018

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Xlorp posted:

Just play with three investigators if you have three players.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

There's no weird scaling effect between 2 and 4 then? I will be committing to hosting games at a club and being able to handle up to 4 with no special adjustments is a good omen. I can deal myself in to demo card and tactic variety without jiggering the difficulty as a result.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Xlorp posted:

There's no weird scaling effect between 2 and 4 then? I will be committing to hosting games at a club and being able to handle up to 4 with no special adjustments is a good omen. I can deal myself in to demo card and tactic variety without jiggering the difficulty as a result.

I play the majority of my games with three players, and it works just fine. In general I feel that the more players you have, the easier the game is, although some scenarios invert that principle.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Wife and I continued playing through Dunwich Legacy with Zoey/Rex. Last night, Undimensioned and Unseen kicked our rear end. I ended up getting eliminated, and she noped out and Retired a couple of turns later. After reading the resolution, we did better then I expected, but that scenario was still a kick in the teeth.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Xlorp posted:

The game always scales stuff based on how many investigators there are playing. It's not perfect but it's pretty well balanced imo.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Friend and I finished Dunwich Saturday night (Ursula and William) and got the best possible resolution, I think. I'll be taking a decently-sized break before starting on Carcossa - hopefully the same guy I played with will be interested, otherwise I might do it solo - but man that was fun. My friend was a bit sore about how often the Mythos effects milled some of his best cards, understandably, to the extent that I think I enjoyed it more than him, but we both definitely liked it.

Also, I got Deciphered Reality before the next-to-last scenario. For that scenario, I had it milled. On Beyond Time and Space, I had it in my opening hand... except the starting area has a shroud of 6. :downs: I ended up using it for the 2 lore on a normal investigate.

Going to have a hard time coming up with a deck that I enjoy running more than Ursula's. With all the Shortcuts, Pathfinders, and her free investigate action, I was doing turns with effectively 4 or 5 actions on a regular basis. Her signature weakness is pretty brutal though.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 9, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Friend and I finished Dunwich Saturday night (Ursula and William) and got the best possible resolution, I think. I'll be taking a decently-sized break before starting on Carcossa - hopefully the same guy I played with will be interested, otherwise I might do it solo - but man that was fun. My friend was a bit sore about how often the Mythos effects milled some of his best cards, understandably, to the extent that I think I enjoyed it more than him, but we both definitely liked it.

Also, I got Deciphered Reality before the next-to-last scenario. For that scenario, I had it milled. On Beyond Time and Space, I had it in my opening hand... except the starting area has a shroud of 6. :downs: I ended up using it for the 2 lore on a normal investigate.

Going to have a hard time coming up with a deck that I enjoy running more than Ursula's. With all the Shortcuts, Pathfinders, and her free investigate action, I was doing turns with effectively 4 or 5 actions on a regular basis. Her signature weakness is pretty brutal though.

Would you mind posting your deck? Our group just finished Carcossa and I'm thinking of using her for our next campaign.

I kind of want to go all in on her relics but that might be a trap.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

IcePhoenix posted:

Would you mind posting your deck? Our group just finished Carcossa and I'm thinking of using her for our next campaign.

I kind of want to go all in on her relics but that might be a trap.

Sorry, missed this yesterday. I actually dismantled it after we finished but I can probably do most of it from memory after work today when I can look at my box.

I did not go heavily on relics - the only non-Seeker relics I took were the ones that lets you seal chaos tokens.

I'll reply back later this evening if I can.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Sorry, missed this yesterday. I actually dismantled it after we finished but I can probably do most of it from memory after work today when I can look at my box.

I did not go heavily on relics - the only non-Seeker relics I took were the ones that lets you seal chaos tokens.

I'll reply back later this evening if I can.

I know it's past last evening but thank you anyways regarding the relics :)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Argh, yeah, didn't get around to it and now I'm back at work. Sorry about that - in the middle of selling our house, had to be gone from 7-8pm for a showing. :downs:

Anyway, going off memory:

The relics I can remember taking were 2x Tooth of Eztli (really liked this one) and Disc of Itzamna (accessories) and Chthonian Stone (also very key) (1H).

Apart from that, fairly general Seeker stuff, especially things that aid in or trigger off of movement. Fieldwork, Pathfinder, and Shortcut were all particularly key (I didn't have the upgraded version of Shortcut because I don't own Pallid Mask, but definitely would've taken it if I did). Magnifying Glass is an obvious include for Seekers.

Definitely take at least one Strange Solution and upgrade it ASAP. I didn't use Archaic Glyphs because I didn't have the cards they upgrade into. Probably would've if I did.

Otherwise your usual skill cards like Deduction, Inquiring Mind, Perception, etc.

Combat-wise, Strange Solution like mentioned earlier, "I've got a plan!". Trying to remember what cards I used for evading but I don't think I had many? Note that I played 2P and had someone else dealing with monsters.

I did take 2X Milan Christopher (though I ended up replacing him later, her unique ally card is better), and considered taking Elli Horowitz for the relic thing, but did not.

Sorry this is all over the place! Basically, like I said, I didn't really utilize the Relic aspects but I could definitely see that being interesting, especially if you took Elli Horowitz and maybe the Charisma talent to allow for 2 allies. I was more interested in her passive / elder sign ability / Jake Williams moving her all over the board and investigating like crazy. I suspect you can do both though!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah, I am definitely thinking of taking Charisma to put in Elli and Doc Milan. We do have access to every card to archaic glyphs and upgraded shortcuts are a definite goal, especially with the skeleton key coming up.

Thanks again!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm in a four player run of Carcosa right now and Ursula is our primary clue gatherer. She's been VERY effective and makes me question Rex as the top tier clue getter. She can't surge as many clues as him but is so much more mobile and needs less baby sitting.

The guy playing her mostly ignored the Relic stuff since the available pool is small right now and doesn't mesh well with her strengths. Chthonian Stone made the cut since it's so strong in a big team game.

The rest of the deck is pretty much what everyone else here has been outlining.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Lol: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/165521/alternate-gender-investigators-male

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Imagine being so fragile in your masculinity that you can’t stomach your cardboard having a vagina (Pringle’s cans not withstanding)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Goddamn what a trash human being.

I'm not sure which is more offensive, his motivation or the poo poo quality of his work.

How anyone could find playing a female investigator more troubling than seeing these jarringly mismatched art assets confounds me.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm in a four player run of Carcosa right now and Ursula is our primary clue gatherer. She's been VERY effective and makes me question Rex as the top tier clue getter. She can't surge as many clues as him but is so much more mobile and needs less baby sitting.

The guy playing her mostly ignored the Relic stuff since the available pool is small right now and doesn't mesh well with her strengths. Chthonian Stone made the cut since it's so strong in a big team game.

The rest of the deck is pretty much what everyone else here has been outlining.

I can't figure out how to counter her weakness reliably as a solo investigator. Keep getting caught by perils and elite monsters.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The Boundary Beyond is up on CardgameDB. Set the Encounter field to blank.

There's a new cycle of Talent assets that give skill bonuses, of which the Rogue one seems best at a glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kalko posted:

The Boundary Beyond is up on CardgameDB. Set the Encounter field to blank.

There's a new cycle of Talent assets that give skill bonuses, of which the Rogue one seems best at a glance.

The Rogue one is super solid, and the Survivor one looks pretty drat good too. It won't fit in every deck but some decks will make great use out of it.

The Guardian one might have some niche use combined with the new 2 cost 2XP Talents that have two sets of two icons.

The Mystic one is also very good, I've seen it tested in a Mateo deck to good use.

The only one I'm not convinced has value is the Seeker option.