Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the galactic DA is on my rear end for your latest stunt, Saber! I need you to turn in your badge and ray gun...

...and your other ray gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Saber: A Star Raiders Story

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Seems like a bad idea to have your gun and saber on the same side especially with it also being on the side with the wrist keyboard

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Ah well, Saber Raine clearly takes place in one of the earlier periods of Galactic Swashbuckling where blasters took a full minute to reload, so it was a one-and-done weapon in any kind of tight skirmish.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Saber Raine is almost Edge Maverick level of good bad name.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Poor Casper Van Dien.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Harime Nui posted:

"SABER RAINE You sonofabitch!"

"DIRK FURY, how ya doin!!?"

"Eyyy am I late to this party!?"

"CLOUD O'KNIVES, I thought you were dead!!"

I am reminded of my favorite anime name, Knives Millions.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Harime Nui posted:

"SABER RAINE You sonofabitch!"

"DIRK FURY, how ya doin!!?"

"Eyyy am I late to this party!?"

"CLOUD O'KNIVES, I thought you were dead!!"

Yes, yes indeed

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
"You're GOD drat right I shot first"

I hope everyone went and looked up the trailer. You're welcome.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SolarFire2 posted:

Poor Casper Van Dien.

Don't feel bad for Casper Van Dien. You're saying you wouldn't want to make a nice comfortable living by being in DTV schlock where you get to be like a bootleg Han Solo?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Don't feel bad for Casper Van Dien. You're saying you wouldn't want to make a nice comfortable living by being in DTV schlock where you get to be like a bootleg Han Solo?
He's also a super hot millionaire.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People are trying to roast, but a Saber Raine with decent cinematography is exactly what the Star Wars ST could and should have been.

Just his ‘finishing move’ from the trailer displays more personality than we’ve seen from anyone in Rey world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wild Horses posted:

the galactic DA is on my rear end for your latest stunt, Saber! I need you to turn in your badge and ray gun...

...and your other ray gun

I fuckin' wish

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
On some reading, I have a hilarious realisation about Star Wars Phineas & Ferb: Darthensmirtz is basically Director Krennic, an evil scientist working for the Empire who wears a cape, had a hand in designing the Death Star and desperately seeks Darth Vader's approval and being taken seriously in general only to be repeatedly humiliated.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

where the hell did smg go

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
He posted like three days ago?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Whenever SMG is not in the thread, someone must ask "where did SMG go?"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I almost made that post, but I stopped myself.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I wish the design aesthetic for the new movies wasn’t so mundane. Is there a single costume, vehicle, or location that doesn’t feel utterly derivative or bland?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Say what you will about the prequels, at least each movie gave us something we'd never seen before.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I miss Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs.

Jewmanji posted:

I wish the design aesthetic for the new movies wasn’t so mundane. Is there a single costume, vehicle, or location that doesn’t feel utterly derivative or bland?
The throne room fight is hardly the best swordfight in Western cinema, but the whole thing looks like somebody brought Bava back from the dead and gave him an actual budget.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Jewmanji posted:

Rogue One had the U-Wing, the Profundity, and the Tie Striker. Those were primo grade star Wars in my book. The rest of the movie kind of had to be stuff from ANH because of the time period though, which is a better excuse than the ST's insistence on using the exact same stuff but with different paint jobs a generation in the future. Costume design on the other hand has been uniformly blegh. There isn't a single outfit in the new stuff that isn't generic as hell except Kylo Ren's mask and hood. The only things you would even think look unique are riffing original designs like the Stormtroopers. And the aliens are all this ugly smushed face brown pug monster.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

galagazombie posted:

exact same stuff but with different paint jobs

Uhh...you realize that all the starfighters and whatnot have been redesigned, right? The closest one to being "just a paint job" is the new First Order TIE Fighter...but TIE fighters are kinda supposed to be like that; plus we also got the new Special Forces TIE as well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The ships in The Force Awakens are incremental redesigns rather than all new. With the exception of Kylo Ren's shuttle, they've all got the exact same silhouettes as earlier ones, even though the details differ. Of the entirely new designs, like the stormtrooper dropship, the only one that has significant screen time is Han's big freighter.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

The ships in The Force Awakens are incremental redesigns rather than all new. With the exception of Kylo Ren's shuttle, they've all got the exact same silhouettes as earlier ones, even though the details differ. Of the entirely new designs, like the stormtrooper dropship, the only one that has significant screen time is Han's big freighter.

Even Kylo’s ship is just an imperial transport with the top fin snubbed off. And Han’s freighter looks like something out of an Alien sequel.

Also jivjiov my criteria here isn’t whether there’s a new engineering under the hood according to the visual dictionary. It’s whether it looks like a TIE fighter (similar to dare I say... an imperial base looking like a Death Star)

Halloween Jack posted:

I miss Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs.

The throne room fight is hardly the best swordfight in Western cinema, but the whole thing looks like somebody brought Bava back from the dead and gave him an actual budget.

You’re just making my point for me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jewmanji posted:

Even Kylo’s ship is just an imperial transport with the top fin snubbed off. And Han’s freighter looks like something out of an Alien sequel.

Also jivjiov my criteria here isn’t whether there’s a new engineering under the hood according to the visual dictionary. It’s whether it looks like a TIE fighter (similar to dare I say... an imperial base looking like a Death Star)

You’re just making my point for me

The new TIEs and X-Wings look like TIEs and X-Wings because they are still TIEs and X-Wings. You don't need a supplementary reference books to see the design changes from a T-65 to a T-70 X-Wing, or the differences between a regular First Order TIE and a Special Forces TIE.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

jivjov posted:

The new TIEs and X-Wings look like TIEs and X-Wings because they are still TIEs and X-Wings. You don't need a supplementary reference books to see the design changes from a T-65 to a T-70 X-Wing, or the differences between a regular First Order TIE and a Special Forces TIE.

Right, and the fact that the movie employed ships that are still TIEs and X-Wings, rather than ships that are something we haven't seen before, is the problem being spoken of.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

jivjov posted:

I apparently do require a supplementary reference book because I have no idea what you’re talking about. I’ve been a stupid Star Wars nerd my whole life and these supposed differences are completely foreign to me.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Star Wars fans REALLY love X-wings though. I’m not surprised they returned but I too would have liked to see new ships designs right away in TFA.

Maybe we’ll get some cool new ones in 9, like how ROTJ introduced A-wings and B-wings, and TIE interceptors.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess I just don’t find myself responding to that Pavlovian trigger then. I’d rather have something new. If I want to watch x-wings go pew pew pew I can watch the original films. It just reeks of cynicism.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bongo Bill posted:

Right, and the fact that the movie employed ships that are still TIEs and X-Wings, rather than ships that are something we haven't seen before, is the problem being spoken of.

They are new X-Wings and TIE Fighters that we haven't seen before. Before The Force Awakens, where had we seen T-70s and Special Forces TIEs?

Jewmanji posted:

I apparently do require a supplementary reference book because I have no idea what you’re talking about. I’ve been a stupid Star Wars nerd my whole life and these supposed differences are completely foreign to me.

Just look at them. Maybe side by side if you must...but they're clearly very distinct

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

They are new X-Wings and TIE Fighters that we haven't seen before. Before The Force Awakens, where had we seen T-70s and Special Forces TIEs?

Just look at them. Maybe side by side if you must...but they're clearly very distinct

If it's only by looking closely in a side-by-side comparison that differences are apparent, they're not clearly very distinct.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

The visual difference between a T-65 and a T-70 is significantly less than between an F-14 and F-35, which have a similar gap in time, and the latter are at least semi-functional aircraft that have to conform their shape to the laws of aerodynamics. The disappointment is not that you can't tell the two apart with sufficient examination but that there's been a complete failure of creativity in presenting us with new art.

But then it's the seventh movie in the series. Of course it's creatively bankrupt. It's more weird that the prequels actually have interesting design.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 18, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't remember who posted it, but there was a great effort post about the ship design evolution between the Republic and the Trade Federation. The design philosopies of both factions evolved into the one's through the course of the trilogy. The sleek, smooth curved Naboo fighter design was nearly full co-opted by the Trade Federation and the Trade Federation's more anglular industrial design was co-opted by the late Republic.

The point is that within the span of fifteen in-universe years, you can see the drastic change in their ships and war machines.

Some half a century passes between the OT and the ST and all that changes is that the engines on the X-Wings is kinda different. Maybe some blue paint.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Just gonna take this as an excuse to post some of the concept art from the prequels, but yeah the visual transformation of the Republic into the Empire is beautifully encapsulated in the design work and on screen - it's important to note that Lucas was very hands on with the art direction.

- Iain McCaig

- Doug Chiang

- Ryan Church

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Does the EU explain the giant human head ruins on naboo

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah, Episode I is a real embarrassment of riches when it comes to design. There's no location in Star Wars that feels more fully developed than Naboo. The art-deco futurism and Italian architecture of Theed, the pure hallucinatory quality of Otoh Gunga, the Naboo ships, the costumes, the battle droids and Neimoidians, Coruscant, it's all totally wonderful. The Phantom Menace is by far the biggest departure for Lucas from a design perspective, and it utterly succeeds on that front. Not only that, but the design seems to tell a story.

In the sequels, it feels very much like they decided upfront that they needed the movies to have x-wings, tie-fighters, death stars, stormtroopers, etc., and reverse engineered everything from there. What you end up with is the backflips that you see in this thread of people trying to fill in the gaps between ROTJ and TFA, and the total incoherence of things like Maz Kanata/Takodana.

That concept art above of Darth Maul is testament to Lucas' ability to separate wheat from chaff.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Uncle Wemus posted:

Does the EU explain the giant human head ruins on naboo

Maz used to run a truckstop there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's important to note that Lucas really loved Moebius, showing he has good taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah, Episode I is a real embarrassment of riches when it comes to design.
pretty much aye. As someone who grew up with the prequels, I associate Star Wars with e1 design more than the OT.