Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Moriatti posted:

If they played it, Mario Rabbids is the 4e video game.
If they haven't than "a more agressive X-Com" or FFT are probably your best bets.

I dunno, I found Mario + Rabbids to be its own beast where trying to play it like XCOM will get frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How much were the old versions of D&D (B/X, BECMI, etc.) based on gridded movement and Chainmail-like maps? I like the settings and aesthetic of B/X and BECMI, but having to go through a bunch of graph paper to describe what's happening isn't my game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I still wait for the TRPG that emulates the mechanics of Ar Tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pollyanna posted:

How much were the old versions of D&D (B/X, BECMI, etc.) based on gridded movement and Chainmail-like maps? I like the settings and aesthetic of B/X and BECMI, but having to go through a bunch of graph paper to describe what's happening isn't my game.

I think it's kinda what you make it - they're simple enough that theater of the mind should work for combat, but a rough drawing of room connectivity and what's in each room is probably helpful for players and dm alike.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

All D&D games are based on the assumption of a grid, though they can be made to work with a more zone based approach with a bit of work. Just understand that you will have to do some interpretation if you go that route.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pollyanna posted:

It's not needed, although it can help

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Plutonis posted:

I still wait for the TRPG that emulates the mechanics of Ar Tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica

Let me know if you ever find one, I've been caught back up in the Ar Tonelico soundtracks and I've considered running something like it in Inverse World.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Plutonis posted:

I actually found a doujin Ar Tonelico TTRPG once, but since my Japanese is basically infant level I'm not sure how good it is.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I made an Ar Tonelico hack for TBZ, though it's based on the simpler mechanics of the first game.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I dunno, I found Mario + Rabbids to be its own beast where trying to play it like XCOM will get frustrating.

Yeah, Mario Rabbids is about stacking ad much put of turn and movement shenanigans as possible, hence why I compare it to 4e. Deffo don't play it like X-Com.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

on the topic of quarterbacking: has anyone ever countenanced playing a game of, say 4e, and having a single player control multiple characters?

I was in a 4e game that only had 3 PCs, so I rolled an Animist Shaman with the Fey Beastmaster (-tamer?) theme. The pet essentially served as an extra buff that protected the Wizard and the Spirit Companion kept an eye on the Paladin. It works but I also had Roll20 crunching the numbers for me. I definitely would’ve needed color-coded “+1” tokens for an IRL game.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My longest-running games have been largely 4e campaigns.

Zeitgeist was an awesome 3-1/2 years.

Before that I did a long Dark Sun sandbox (ha!) game.

Kai Tave posted:

We do it in our game...not all the time but often enough that it's not unfamiliar. We keep things simple and say anyone controlling two characters has them both go on the same initiative. Admittedly in a PbP context there isn't a vast difference in terms of added time to fighting using one character or fighting using two and I imagine at the table this might be different.
We did it pretty regularly, when we were missing 2+ people. I tried to space out their initiatives so that the player could plan each of their turns ahead of time.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

on the topic of quarterbacking: has anyone ever countenanced playing a game of, say 4e, and having a single player control multiple characters?

I would be very down for this, however, I would only want to do it with 2 players controlling 2 characters each and that hasn't come up yet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was rather specifically thinking of a one-player-one-GM set-up, such that the player is effectively doing what they would do in something like Baldur's Gate, but I do appreciate the responses!

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

They were a little different in that they still assume you're using a grid, but that you're using it for exploration rather than combat.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I was interested by how many of you listed Unity among your "want to play" lists and I went to check it. I'm honestly... not feeling the setting? Some of the stuff they showed during the Kickstarter gets the benefit of the doubt because of it being possibly changed afterwards (such as some natural language in between rules, I hate that) but the setting seems like the biggest offender. I hate using the term but it feels a little bit like it tries too hard, names felt super forgettable and it feels like reading bad 40k fiction with its impossibly huge levels of death and destruction.

Maybe I'm just burnt out on grimdark sci-fi-ish settings.

Also, people complaining a page or so ago about to hit rolls should really check out Gloomhaven!

Azran fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 14, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kwyndig posted:

I made an Ar Tonelico hack for TBZ, though it's based on the simpler mechanics of the first game.

I'm primarily thinking of Inverse World cause it's a fantastical magitek setting and I'm sure there's a way to slightly reskin it to be more computer-y. Also song magic is cool.

Tendales posted:

They were a little different in that they still assume you're using a grid, but that you're using it for exploration rather than combat.

That's still way better than using it for combat. In fact, that makes more sense.

Azran posted:

Also, people complaining a page or so ago about to hit rolls should really check out Gloomhaven!

I would totally play Gloomhaven, but maybe as a video game - I wouldn't buy $200 worth of cardboard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Tell me more

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Found my Secret Santa https://www.cryptozoic.com/rick-and-morty-pickle-rick-game

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Yeah, hex exploration was big but not 100% necessary.

As far as battle maps went, it was generally assumed you would have a map with a ruler but you can easily eyeball it if you're playing with adults.

EDIT: also Gloomhaven is like $80 dude.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, hex exploration was big but not 100% necessary.

As far as battle maps went, it was generally assumed you would have a map with a ruler but you can easily eyeball it if you're playing with adults.

EDIT: also Gloomhaven is like $80 dude.

oki good also whered i get $200 from oops im going to bed.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gloomhaven retails for 140 USD but that can change real quick in either direction

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Retail is $140, $200 is the scalper price between print runs

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Azran posted:

I was interested by how many of you listed Unity among your "want to play" lists and I went to check it. I'm honestly... not feeling the setting? Some of the stuff they showed during the Kickstarter gets the benefit of the doubt because of it being possibly changed afterwards (such as some natural language in between rules, I hate that) but the setting seems like the biggest offender. I hate using the term but it feels a little bit like it tries too hard, names felt super forgettable and it feels like reading bad 40k fiction with its impossibly huge levels of death and destruction.

Maybe I'm just burnt out on grimdark sci-fi-ish settings.

The Unity setting is super-forgettable. I'm personally working on taking the mechanics and making an X-Crawlish competitive dungeon-crawling thing around it.

e: also the game's layout and technical writing needs work, lots of rules are scattered around or incompletely explained. and all the boob art is super lame

BinaryDoubts fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 14, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

BinaryDoubts posted:

The Unity setting is super-forgettable. I'm personally working on taking the mechanics and making an X-Crawlish competitive dungeon-crawling thing around it.

e: also the game's layout and technical writing needs work, lots of rules are scattered around or incompletely explained. and all the boob art is super lame

Ugh, somehow I forgot to mention the art. Yes, that's also dumb.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Yeah, I got to look at a friend's copy of Unity and I honestly sort of bounced off of it. My favorite concept from it were the Ruin points, which is a pool of points the GM gets to make bad stuff happen to the PCs.

On the other hand this is the first time I've heard of The Nightmares Underneath and after reading a lot of it it seems cool as heck.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BinaryDoubts posted:

Well that sucks :sigh:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can you post some of that art? For me to, errr, wag my finger in disapproval.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
One or two instances wouldn't be too bad, but it gets pretty egregious when it's nearly every female character in the game:

It's a shame, because the art is really well-done - I just wish the direction had been less cheesecakey.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Unity's setting doesn't really grab me either tbh, it's not something I'm especially interested in. I mainly backed it for the rules.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zarick posted:

Yeah, I got to look at a friend's copy of Unity and I honestly sort of bounced off of it. My favorite concept from it were the Ruin points, which is a pool of points the GM gets to make bad stuff happen to the PCs.

On the other hand this is the first time I've heard of The Nightmares Underneath and after reading a lot of it it seems cool as heck.

Yeah TNU is a really good game, I mean how many other games include as a possible starting item a magical gun that shoots screaming ghosts instead of bullets

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I like how she's averting her cleavage out of respect from the dead.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god :laffo:

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Splicer posted:

I like how she's averting her cleavage out of respect from the dead.

Yup, that's the illustration for the death rules!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

I mean how many other games include as a possible starting item a magical gun that shoots screaming ghosts instead of bullets

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Theres a 4e dark sun? Hot drat

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BinaryDoubts posted:

One or two instances wouldn't be too bad, but it gets pretty egregious when it's nearly every female character in the game:

It's a shame, because the art is really well-done - I just wish the direction had been less cheesecakey.

That's underwhelming compared to the previous description.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

That's underwhelming compared to the previous description.
While the standards of the industry mean that full frontal was a legitimate possibility, cleavage cleavage cleavage is still shameful.

Also is it just me or is one of the mournboobs is way bigger than the other one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Unititty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/ZensaraStudios/status/717070768211800065