Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The text presents the idea that Dumbledore doesn’t stop Grindenwald because he’s too ashamed that at one point he agreed with him but after Rowling's comment you go back to reread it and go ooohhhhhhh that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Calaveron posted:

The text presents the idea that Dumbledore doesn’t stop Grindenwald because he’s too ashamed that at one point he agreed with him but after Rowling's comment you go back to reread it and go ooohhhhhhh that makes sense

Like "Uhhh there is no way anyone would consider this little PS of 'hey btw we should only do fascist wizard stuff for the greater good, ok nite nite' worthy of writing a whole separate letter and sending it after you left the dude's room unless you were trying to create an alibi" I guess

Or else that's what Rowling thought, and was like "jesus this plot point was stupid, but if I make him retroactively gay it becomes awesome :smug:"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The explanation I heard was that a fan suggested that Dumbledore could be gay because the text never contradicts the idea, and Rowling's response was "Yeah, you're right. Sure, he's totally gay."

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The explanation I heard was that a fan suggested that Dumbledore could be gay because the text never contradicts the idea, and Rowling's response was "Yeah, you're right. Sure, he's totally gay."

Supposedly the script for one of the movies had Dumbledore make reference to girl he once loved, and Rowling told them to remove it without providing an explanation.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I always assumed Dumbledore was ace

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Caganer posted:

I always assumed Dumbledore was ace

he's on the ace-to-gay scale

seriously theres like a single page in the entire series that vaguely implies he might be gay maybe. and nothing else at all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bust Rodd posted:

I could see 2018 Bojack literally not giving a poo poo if people thought he was gay, and it dovetailing into a quaint retrospective of Herb and how lovely what happened to him is.

But again it’s predicated on the idea that a world famous horse person isn’t already inundating the web with fan content based on his boner, and that is honestly a bridge too far

Yea, as I said, he'd me more annoyed that he was being seen with Mr Peanutbutter.

"There's so many better guys I could be gay with!"

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Wasn’t one of the House ghosts never even in the books? They’re probably gay too since if you never speak you never say you’re not gay

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/cutequeer96/status/873155294246850560

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I love how every time I rewatch I notice something new... for example I just realized that the therapist in S3E5 is voiced by the therapist from the Sopranos.

edit: also that guy with the "snatch patch" is actually a pretty nice guy - he texted the wrong person but tries to be polite, tells her she shouldn't feel peer pressured to do drugs, tries to shut down his friends when they start talking about "lame" diane... overall he seems like a decent person. it's a nice flip on the usual playboy stereotype

Caganer fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 15, 2018

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/carriemelago/status/1019648557119401984?s=21

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Just got to Stupid Piece of poo poo in season 4. They definitely understand how pathologic self-loathing sounds in you head.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thing that really hammers it out is how relentlessly juvenile and crude it is. You don’t have to be a smarty pants eloquent voice in my head to break me down, just literally never stop and eventually you’ll wear any resolve down like water torture.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
BoJack got syndicated, Comedy Central will air the old episodes this September, they'll be on after South Park's new episodes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Neat!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I wonder if they are going to censor each season's one "gently caress"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I hope there's a Blu-Ray box set with audio commentaries to come from this!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I wonder if this will mean more seasons? I was thinking this might be the last one, but if the show does well on Comedy Central I could see it running for a few more.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

SEX BURRITO posted:

I wonder if this will mean more seasons? I was thinking this might be the last one, but if the show does well on Comedy Central I could see it running for a few more.

If this was going to be the final season they would've announced it. My thought was that next season would be it because both RBW and Lisa Hanawalt have new shows that have been ordered to series, but hey, I'll listen to however more stories they have left.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bojack has to be putting up some decent numbers for Comedy Central to put up that kind of cash for syndication from Netflix. Has a single other Netflix property been picked up like this yet?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
OITNB and House Of Cards, IIRC.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Prequel series confirmed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Caganer posted:

I think it'd be great if Bojack has been on the kinsey scale the whole time but just never made a thing out of it, Dumbledore style.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Was Dumbledore being straight ever alluded to in the text? I know people like to dog on Rowling for only being inclusive after the fact, and it's a fair criticism, but I personally dig that his sexuality just never came up because it wasn't ever relevant.

Dumbledore wasn't some people's vision of gay enough.

Too much dignity or something. :iiam:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Dumbledore wasn't some people's vision of gay enough.

Too much dignity or something. :iiam:

Dude is constantly wearing colourful robes, making silly jokes with no bother about what people think of him and owns all kinds of expensive useless knick-knacks.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dude is constantly wearing colourful robes, making silly jokes with no bother about what people think of him and owns all kinds of expensive useless knick-knacks.

Today I learned that my dad is gay.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

i am the bird posted:

Today I learned that my dad is gay.

So what?

Also unrelatedly, people don't like Dumbledore being gay because no one brought it up in the story beforehand and it didn't matter to the plot. It just seems like pandering.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still like the bit where Harry is super pissed (I think after the whole Goblet of Fire fiasco) and starts chucking some of Dumbledore's knick-knacks at the wall while frustrated in his office, and Dumbledore just says "By all means, continue destroying my possessions, I have far too many."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Toalpaz posted:

Also unrelatedly, people don't like Dumbledore being gay because no one brought it up in the story beforehand and it didn't matter to the plot. It just seems like pandering.

Why should a gay person's orientation matter to the plot?

How would anything have changed if Dumbledore was more overtly gay, outside of some slash fiction that undoubtably exists somewhere already?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
She didn't bring it up until after all the books had come out, and she had been criticized for them not being very inclusive.

If she'd mentioned it after, like, the third book came out and it just never ended up mattering in the context of the story, it would've been another thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It was accepted at first, but then with the pointless prequels they're saying "oh he won't be gay in those either", but then ho wants to see Jude Law be gay with Johnny Depp? Why couldn't they have just kept Colin Farrel?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

It was accepted at first, but then with the pointless prequels they're saying "oh he won't be gay in those either", but then ho wants to see Jude Law be gay with Johnny Depp?

I would have figured "everybody" but what do I know? :shrug:

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
literally everybody

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

twistedmentat posted:

It was accepted at first, but then with the pointless prequels they're saying "oh he won't be gay in those either", but then ho wants to see Jude Law be gay with Johnny Depp?

Literally every single woman still into harry potter?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Maybe Johnny Depp of ten years ago, but now he's a) outed as an abusive fuckwit and b) gently caress ugly in his Grindelwald makeup. Should've just kept Colin Farrell.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would watch literally any two wizards gently caress, no matter who they were or how ugly they may appear, because wizard sex has got to be awesome to watch

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

cptn_dr posted:

Maybe Johnny Depp of ten years ago, but now he's a) outed as an abusive fuckwit and b) gently caress ugly in his Grindelwald makeup. Should've just kept Colin Farrell.

That was exactly my point. Depp has lost all his attraction, and Colin Farrell was fine to begin with.

Like literally all I see from HP fans is "wtf why did they cast and insist on Keeping Depp?????", and I know a lot of women in their late 20s and early 30s that are nuts for HP stuff.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Dumbledore being gay was literally just Rowling trying to seem inclusive after the fact when she was called out on it, same with "well I never said that Hermione wasn't black". She is a typical middle class liberal, making inclusive sounds when it's easy without doing the actual spade work, while going on about aspiration and hard work and dogwhistling about the poor when she literally used state welfare to find the time to write the first book with no expectation that it would become the insane mega-hit that it did. She is a two-faced, ladder-pulling piece of poo poo, so gently caress giving her any benefit of the doubt.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Dumbledore being gay was literally just Rowling trying to seem inclusive after the fact when she was called out on it, same with "well I never said that Hermione wasn't black". She is a typical middle class liberal, making inclusive sounds when it's easy without doing the actual spade work, while going on about aspiration and hard work and dogwhistling about the poor when she literally used state welfare to find the time to write the first book with no expectation that it would become the insane mega-hit that it did. She is a two-faced, ladder-pulling piece of poo poo, so gently caress giving her any benefit of the doubt.

I mean, she said it directly after Deathly Hallows came out in 2007, long before there was any such controversy. You have the order of events entirely backwards. There was no media controversy about Harry Potter not being inclusive enough in 2007, and she said that she'd always thought of Dumbledore as gay unprompted, in response to a young fan's question about whether or not Dumbledore had ever found true love. For obvious reasons it would have been a bold and risky move to attempt to sell a children's book with a gay adult character to publishers in the late 90s.

It's fine to be critical of Rowling, she has problems, but get your facts straight at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Didn't the Hermione thing backfire when people pulled textual quotes?

Not that it matters because I doubt anything would change if Hermione was white, black, East Asian, whatever.