Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Supremezero posted:

Level requirements don't apply with Tressa, as far as I can determine. She gets the "Spends money" deal instead.

"Not Available" is, I think, a sign that the item has to be stolen instead.
Huh, I could've sworn I had similar "not available" actions with Ophilia, etc. too. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

If it's true that it requires stealing, that's kind of annoying. I guess they want you to switch around your party to get everything (see: purple chests) but it's just kind of annoying since you gotta go through the inn and it's a whole process every time (and then you gotta switch back.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Ophelia/Olberic/alfyn have level requirements; tressa's buying stuff costing money is considered prohibitive enough, I guess

And yeah I think "not available" stuff has to be stolen

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I guess the devs just really want you to have Therion on your team huh.

It's pretty unfair, Tressa already has to pay a bunch of money so why make some stuff completely unavailable :( Just make it really expensive, I'm fine with that. Most of the stuff I've been able to buy has been vendor items and the few really special things have all been "not available".

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Your Computer posted:

okay what the gently caress Octopath Traveler :catstare:

This fellow votes for the leopard eating your face party, so it's only appropriate to introduce him to H'aanit.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Scrutinize and Inquire sound really similar, what's the difference between them?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Scrutinize and Inquire sound really similar, what's the difference between them?

They're exactly the same, just inquiring has a level requirement while scrutinize has a failure chance but can always be used. This is the same for the other noble/rogue path action differences, except buy vs steal which is obvious.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zerilan posted:

All of the path actions have a noble and rogue variant. Inquire has a level requirement, but no downside. Scrutinize has a chance to fail and impact your reputation. 5 failed rogue checks ruin your reputation in town and you have to pay (or savescum) to be able to use path actions there again. Noble/Rogue: Ophelia/Primrose have Guide/Allure to get summonable allies, Olberic/H'aanit have Challenge/Provoke to fight townsfolk, and Tressa/Therion have Purchase/Steal to get items from people.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Alright cool, also is concoct as versatile/awesome as mix stuff in like every other ff/spinoff that uses it or is it pretty limited?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Your Computer posted:

oh dang, I guess I missed that. Neat!

:tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

jesus loving christ

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Zerilan posted:

Alright cool, also is concoct as versatile/awesome as mix stuff in like every other ff/spinoff that uses it or is it pretty limited?

It's as far as I can tell, just a way to get cheaper, better versions of regular items (some might have buffs attached? Haven't messed with it much) and extremely useful free multi hit attacks that have decent chances for debuffs which seem pretty good.

Not quite FFV Bonkers Chemistry, but still pretty good.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Your Computer posted:

both sides

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
This game is pretty great but holy poo poo can I not decide on a 3-team and what subclasses they should have.

My best guess so far is:

Olberic(main) +hunter
Alfyn +scholar
Tressa +dancer

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

why only 3?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Feels like this game was designed specifically for the crowd of 30-something’s who grew up with 16 bit RPGs. Not perfect in any way - and I can definitely see how some people might not like it - but drat does this game scratch an itch I didn’t even know I had.

Also the hunter character is disgustingly good, especially after equipping her with a Golden Axe and upping her crit rate.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Because four will only be core for half the chapters. Three will be there for all of em

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A random number generator told me to start with H'aanit, and then there was a locked chest in her starting town so I'm getting Therion next. Maybe I'll just recruit everybody in reverse order, like HTAPOTCO

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

A random number generator told me to start with H'aanit, and then there was a locked chest in her starting town so I'm getting Therion next. Maybe I'll just recruit everybody in reverse order, like HTAPOTCO

gently caress I just now realized that the first letters of their names spell octopath

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

Where will you go? Who will join you? You alone can choose your path.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The game got way harder after I finally got my party (Tressa, Alfyn, Ophilia, H'aanit) and I'm starting to wonder if this wasn't the best idea for a team.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

Hence why I Scrutinize/Inquire his lord to get Project Plans and talk to the rebel leader instead which makes them put down the sword and share drinks with each other.

Also, finally started my first Chapter 2. It's Primrose's if you're wondering since I'm going by level requirement. Holy poo poo! Rufus, the crow man with the tattoo on his left arm, is ripped! Also, drat Prinmrose's story is dark.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

The game got way harder after I finally got my party (Tressa, Alfyn, Ophilia, H'aanit) and I'm starting to wonder if this wasn't the best idea for a team.

Seems fine to me

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i'm pretty sure you can make any team viable once you unlock some jobs :shobon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

someone awful. posted:

i'm pretty sure you can make any team viable once you unlock some jobs :shobon:

Oh yeah for sure. It has just been a reeeeeaaal slog doing Olberic's area because every fight is like 4 enemies that take 3+ hits to break and I don't have multi-hit OR AoE moves that break them, and I spent most of my turns doing basically nothing. :v:

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Doing a boosted Donate BP with Tressa, so H'aanit can get a fully boosted Arrow Storm off on the first turn is so much fun.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Got Tressa, Primrose, and Cyrus. Tressa and Prim beat up a Cait so they are now way further ahead of Cyrus, but he's still doing okay. I love being able to just see a weakness when starting battle, so now I have to come up with a subclass for him because he's never leaving the party.

I am actually not sure who my fourth will be, but I'm pretty sure I have to finish Primrose's story first. I know she's not my main character, but it just doesn't feel right to sideline her legit quest for revenge in favor of playing Overzealous Librarian and Adventures in Capitalism.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
PHAT COOT

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How often do you encounter purple chests?

Basically - how often will I be swapping Therion in my party to open purple chests (because you better believe I will not let a single chest go unopened).

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

ive seen 1 in every dungeon-type-area so far iirc (not the chapter 1 story intro ones, but anything other than that)

it physically hurts me to walk by them, such is the cost of tressa

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
For people who feel they need to grind before doing chapter 2: consider instead doing some optional dungeons! There's one in every character's starting area, and some are level 15 so they're a good ramp-up to the level 20 ones.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Your Computer posted:

CopsTalkToCapitalists.png

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Folt The Bolt posted:

Hence why I Scrutinize/Inquire his lord to get Project Plans and talk to the rebel leader instead which makes them put down the sword and share drinks with each other.

Also, finally started my first Chapter 2. It's Primrose's if you're wondering since I'm going by level requirement. Holy poo poo! Rufus, the crow man with the tattoo on his left arm, is ripped! Also, drat Prinmrose's story is dark.

So, do side quests get various resolutions depending on the class actions you use during them? Is that a general thing? Because if so that's very rad.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Meallan posted:

So, do side quests get various resolutions depending on the class actions you use during them? Is that a general thing? Because if so that's very rad.

I've definitely seen/read of some which have a different resolution depending on which path action/s you use, and on who. Nothing super deep (that I've found yet?) but it's a really cute thing to have done

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Started my playthrough with Alfyn, what a pure and helpful boy :allears:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zerilan posted:

Started my playthrough with Alfyn, what a pure and helpful boy :allears:

[cinnamon roll intensifies]

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm definitely going to be spending this entire game abusing NPCs. Robbing them, having leopards maul them, etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm definitely going to be spending this entire game abusing NPCs. Robbing them, having leopards maul them, etc.

I find it kinda funny how almost no NPC is off-limits. You can rob and beat up Tressa's parents while she's in the party.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Tressa's parents have some tempting accessories. I'll have to revisit them when I have $20K to blow.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Am I right thinking that I should never buy those "you can sell this" items from random NPCs?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah don't buy em

Steal em :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

someone awful. posted:

Yeah don't buy em

Steal em :twisted: