Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

All these spirits are the same color, a sort of pale salmon pink?

I wonder if that's a function of being created by Zarei, or a function of being very young spirits?

The spirit inhabiting the mannequin on this page is possibly Toolbox, who we see in an earlier page possessing the medical bag to assist Zarei with the surgery before being ordered to rejoin the other spirits in wherever they're stored at: http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-108 http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-109

Both the hippo-box spirit on today's page and Toolbox's medical bag back then have rounded teeth, and the implication is that Toolbox is only temporarily controlling that medical bag. This seems to have thematical consistency with Hijack (control people's bodies) and Hotwire (presumably control machines/motors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I bet Hotwire was the spirit that was controlling the train.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah, the train was a spirit in its own right, it ceased to exist as an object entirely on death and subsequent toolization, instead of leaving a bunch of wrecked train behind

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i thought zarei or hijack said there was a spirit controlling the train?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I know that most spirits are about controlling whatever their medium is based on, but Zarei sure has a lot of spirits about controlling actual things that have their own will- assuming Hotwire was the spirit controlling the Spirit Train, that’d give her a spirit that controls people, a spirit that controls people’s emotions, a spirit that controls other spirits...

Mina, are you the baddie?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think the spirit train is just a spirit train that mina bound to her service with the dark arts of treating it like a person

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Mr. Locke posted:

I know that most spirits are about controlling whatever their medium is based on, but Zarei sure has a lot of spirits about controlling actual things that have their own will- assuming Hotwire was the spirit controlling the Spirit Train, that’d give her a spirit that controls people, a spirit that controls people’s emotions, a spirit that controls other spirits...

Mina, are you the baddie?

either that or a dark and gritty antihero

you know, like that dork spender.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mr. Lobe posted:

either that or a dark and gritty antihero

you know, like that dork spender.

Odds feel pretty good on the event from 13 years ago involving a betrayal that gave both Mina and Rich their inability to trust anyone else with their PERSONAL MISSION.

Maybe it was Davy! :iiam:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hijack told Lucifer that he had a brother that was controlling the spirit train, and when the train went full grudge, his brother was vaporized.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

How will Isaac handle this pretender to the anime throne?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
R.I.P. Hijack.

He was three.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

neogeo0823 posted:

Hijack told Lucifer that he had a brother that was controlling the spirit train, and when the train went full grudge, his brother was vaporized.

Indeed: http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-238

At the end of Chapter 4, Zarei said "Only I can hope to control it", and if she was controlling the train through spirits that she created, then that'd make sense. Between Hijack, Hotwire, Toolbox, the unnamed spirit that can control emotions, and the unknown spirit that was reading a newspaper but presumably can control another facet, it seems like Dr. Zarei's specialty is creating spirits.

Spirit creation also seems like the kind of stuff that's a very rare skill, which would fit with what Dr. Zarei has been researching that she refuses to share with the rest of the Consortium -- which is what Agent Day is curious about and digging into alongside trying to find out what Spender is up to.

Considering Zarei has gone out of her way to not mention her creatures to anyone, I'd bet that that's the case.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 13, 2018

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
noob down

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Couldn't have been Hotwire, then, since Patchworm states that Hotwire would be willing to help restore and recontrol the train here.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Maybe Patchworm just doesn't know Hotwire is dead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hotwire probably handles actual machines and motors, while the spirit she lost ("my best spirit") was able to control spirits themselves directly. Hotwire is probably able to exert some control over the train, but not full and complete control like the vaporized spirit did.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
eh, eightfold probably got worse, this guys just waiting for pickup somewhere in the woods

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Is Eightfold really gone, though? She's in the book and the book is trapped where nobody can get to it... but she heals really fast. With Isabel's spectral energy, she heals in a few days, without it, it'll probably take significantly longer but eventually she should be able to leave the book and float through the rock upwards, right?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tollymain posted:

eh, eightfold probably got worse, this guys just waiting for pickup somewhere in the woods
No, the spirit controlling the train died? It's been said multiple times. He probably could have handled everything except the train turning into a Grudge, the sheer force of that left him without a trace to plant in something else to heal using.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PetraCore posted:

Is Eightfold really gone, though? She's in the book and the book is trapped where nobody can get to it... but she heals really fast. With Isabel's spectral energy, she heals in a few days, without it, it'll probably take significantly longer but eventually she should be able to leave the book and float through the rock upwards, right?

Do spirits in tools heal at all? I thought they needed a spectral source.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

Do spirits in tools heal at all? I thought they needed a spectral source.

They can mooch off a spectral, or they can absorb passing ghosts and weaker spirits.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Man there's a lot going on in this comic, I really need to give it a full re-read.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think thats just its "physical" form getting vaporized and escaping being depicted there. cant handle the train if youve been demoted to "short-lived shade", and theres no guarantee it would have been given the double death or have failed to find some kind of resonant thing in the area. id put it's chances at a reasonable level

nobodys actually ventured a guess at what hijacks gonna end up in, my current best guess is a big chunky pair of headphones. i wish we had a better idea of what the train-controlling spirit was themed as so i could make dumb guesses at that too

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

one half of hijack to cody

one half of hijack to lisa.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm surprised how few spirits seem to just immediately inhabit the spectral who killed them, you think it'd be a great way to both get energy AND pester the person who killed you for years

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Countblanc posted:

i'm surprised how few spirits seem to just immediately inhabit the spectral who killed them, you think it'd be a great way to both get energy AND pester the person who killed you for years

I wonder how difficult it is for a spectral to expel an unwanted spirit.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Boss Leader seemed to be able to get rid of Max's spirit pretty easily. I kind of doubt spirit on the brink of nonexistence will be in much shape to resist a spectral.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PetraCore posted:

And perhaps she's been grabbed by the same spirit that had grabbed Max and put him back on the train.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I hope Hijack possesses Jeff and gives him superpowers. He deserves them after the day he's had.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Hypocrisy posted:

Boss Leader seemed to be able to get rid of Max's spirit pretty easily. I kind of doubt spirit on the brink of nonexistence will be in much shape to resist a spectral.

Yah,. She seemed pretty able to kill it permanently right quick. I imagine once a spirit is weaked it doesn't take much to finish it off.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Boss Leader's powers are not normal, though. Most of the time, other people can't even see or interact with another spectral's spirit, and when the spectral personally does, it's like this, not this. Heck, even Hijack's possession put him in touch with Lucifer's projected form, not his wisp form, hence Lucifer being the threat to him rather than vice versa.

Assuming that just because the super OP Narnia queen can do something anyone can seems like a good way to vastly overestimate the abilities of the average spectral.

I mean, if you wanted to kill a tooled up spirit, you could probably just break its tool and finish it off once it's out. But for a spirit possessing someone, well, I imagine that their medium wouldn't appreciate being "broken".

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, if you wanted to kill a tooled up spirit, you could probably just break its tool and finish it off once it's out. But for a spirit possessing someone, well, I imagine that their medium wouldn't appreciate being "broken".

Yeah, Spender's not taking it too well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Spender was already broken.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah spender was born w a baseball bat fused to him

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just noticed a typo in the alt-text.

It should be "loved his mom".

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Countblanc posted:

The spectral energy colour would have to match.

Edit: And then immediately after posting this I thought about Spender and the shadow spirit. How does that work? It seems to have been able to fully heal since Lucifer's having to actively restrain it from getting out.

Is it's energy yellow? I just kind of assumed it was black, have we ever actually seen it?

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 15, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Suaimhneas posted:

The spectral energy colour would have to match.

Edit: And then immediately after posting this I thought about Spender and the shadow spirit. How does that work? It seems to have been able to fully heal since Lucifer's having to actively restrain it from getting out.

Is it's energy yellow? I just kind of assumed it was black, have we ever actually seen it?
The closer the match the faster the recharge. It's good that the spirit is in spender because it's getting barely any charge out if him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Splicer posted:

The closer the match the faster the recharge. It's good that the spirit is in spender because it's getting barely any charge out if him.

:thunk: Who do we know near Spender who has no real idea how any of this works, is already vulnerable to being possessed, and has already been snatched at by the tentacle spirit inside Spender? No one that has black spectral energy that I can think of, nope, no one at all.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

:thunk: Who do we know near Spender who has no real idea how any of this works, is already vulnerable to being possessed, and has already been snatched at by the tentacle spirit inside Spender? No one that has black spectral energy that I can think of, nope, no one at all.

Assuming it does have black spectral energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Who What Now posted:

Assuming it does have black spectral energy.

If it's not black, then it's likely the inverse of yellow (Spender mentions a couple times that he's in a "delicate state of balance") which is a deep purple: https://www.colourlovers.com/color/2D135C

Have we seen anyone with purple spectral energy yet? I don't recall offhand.

edit: Or blue.