Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

ikuhara didnt work on it but the director (tomohiro furukawa) was a key animator on penguindrum and storyboarded the OPs and even wrote a couple of the episodes, so he was a key creative voice on that project, and they have the same art director. Furukawa also was an episode director on yurikuma, so there's a clear line from Ikuhara to Revue and it probably is a fairly big influence.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/729703182717333505

Here's another example of Furukawa's work, with its strong Ikuhara influences. He's not really new enough to call him a 'protege' of Ikuhara or anything, but he's a younger collaborator of his who's making his solo directorial debut.

Lol Revue uses the exact same characters on either side of a door shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
okay im backStarlight rules lol

Such a constant energy and flow throughout the whole episode, i'm on board now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sirius the Jaeger is good dumb fun, and I’m pleased to report that that Andou choreography is present and accounted for.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Darth Walrus posted:

Sirius the Jaeger is good dumb fun, and I’m pleased to report that that Andou choreography is present and accounted for.
I'm a big fan of casual dismemberment, so it's a keeper.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol Revue uses the exact same characters on either side of a door shot

they're good shots, saku

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just finished watching Revue Starlight. Holy poo poo, that was intense and fascinatingly beautiful. Also don't be fooled into thinking it's "just an idol/musical anime"- It's absolutely a magical girls show in the style of Revolutionary Girl Utena. If you loved Utena, you will love the first episode of Starlight Revue.

Please watch this really cool show everyone!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
a show so nice you posted thrice

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DisDisDis posted:

a show so nice you posted thrice

Quadrice even!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DisDisDis posted:

if you're one of the absolute fools who likes utena but wants it to have more individually animated action scenes you should watch revue starlight
lol but its true

Endorph posted:

ikuhara didnt work on it but the director (tomohiro furukawa) was a key animator on penguindrum and storyboarded the OPs and even wrote a couple of the episodes, so he was a key creative voice on that project, and they have the same art director. Furukawa also was an episode director on yurikuma, so there's a clear line from Ikuhara to Revue and it probably is a fairly big influence.

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/729703182717333505

Here's another example of Furukawa's work, with its strong Ikuhara influences. He's not really new enough to call him a 'protege' of Ikuhara or anything, but he's a younger collaborator of his who's making his solo directorial debut.
i love this guy, he rules

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
REVUE STARLIGHT IS REALLY loving GOOD I HAVEN'T BEEN THIS HYPE FOR A FIRST EP OF A SHOW IN A LONG TIME Y'ALL SHOULD WATCH IT

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so is sirius not streaming anywhere?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first ep of starlight was alright but the official subs are so bad that they honestly kind of made it harder to follow for me so i'll probably rewatch when the fansub for ep 1 comes out

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Not being as extremely excited as the rest of the thread about ep 1 of a show?

You get the wall

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm always pumped up to get mad about Jennifer Challenger.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
any subs for a show with a heavy musical focus that don't actually sub the music are fail

if hugtto speed subs can do it, you can too

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

so is sirius not streaming anywhere?

netflix got it I think?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Colonel posted:

any subs for a show with a heavy musical focus that don't actually sub the music are fail

if hugtto speed subs can do it, you can too

Licensing fees

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
When the lyrics are actually important for understanding character motivations, it's probably a big priority to get those

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, sometimes the lyrics are just extremely good. See also, whatever happens when Chris opens her mouth in Symphogear.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Allarion posted:

When the lyrics are actually important for understanding character motivations, it's probably a big priority to get those

Not like crunchy roll is familiar with preserving those anyways

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Futaba Anzu posted:

Not like crunchy roll is familiar with preserving those anyways

it's not crunchyroll, it's hidive with subs done by sentai

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bad crunchy subs have frequently been done by third parties like sentai too

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Getting song translations up is historically, a gigantic pain in the rear end that involves waiting too long for people on the music side of the deal to sign off on approvals and whatnot

Music license agreements are the worstttt

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

its not out of laziness, its that dealing with record companies who own the rights to the music is hard.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

Getting song translations up is historically, a gigantic pain in the rear end that involves waiting too long for people on the music side of the deal to sign off on approvals and whatnot

Music license agreements are the worstttt

at least for starlight revue, they seem to have lyric rights, but decided to only sub the songs with romaji

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also the subs in general are being done by a translator who had hundreds of errors in their scripts for HakuMiko. unsure if their other shows were as bad but the whole situation had pushed me firmly to waiting for fansubs of the show

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

oh nvm lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah i'm just kind of pissed with the official subs in general being really awkward and hard to follow on top of using loving romanji for the song lyrics

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

at least for starlight revue, they seem to have lyric rights, but decided to only sub the songs with romaji

ack

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, having the rights is different from having the record label agree to the translation. It's still a bit of a pain.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/hidiveofficial/status/1018267535727382529

It seems they have the song rights but still need to seek approval so that explains the songs and that's on music rights. The rest of the format errors are all on HDIVE and Sentai

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad they've gone on the record about it, since this stuff usually passes with zero transparency. would've preferred they wait until that stuff was available but i know other people have the Netflix style release :shrug:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Thoughts on Revue Starlight: It's alright, but it's really just making me want to rewatch Kaleido Star instead.

edit: For one, I'm thoroughly sick of childhood promise premises of just about any sort.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 15, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if the lyrics are important and they are only coming later, i guess i'll wait a few weeks to start watching revue.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just watch the fansubs, even barring the music the official subs are awkward and distracting and placed haphazardly in front of what are otherwise really cool visuals

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

just watch the fansubs, even barring the music the official subs are awkward and distracting and placed haphazardly in front of what are otherwise really cool visuals
what, you dont think

is acceptable? there's no excuse for pirating anime, you know

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i love to read

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

what, you dont think

is acceptable? there's no excuse for pirating anime, you know

What if you have crime diabetes and are medically certified as havin' no morals?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its cool that there's been an established, workable formula for scenes where music and dialogue are happening at once (songs on top, dialogue on bottom) that the subs for this just completely ignore because ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the subs for revue starlight ignore, a lot of logical choices for making things more readable, like not placing the subs directly in front of cool visuals or doing literally anything to differentiate lines of dialog that are being spoken over each other

• Locked thread