Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Can confirm Kinane's new half hour is really funny. I judge comedy by how much it makes me actually laugh, and I laughed a lot. It's real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gramps posted:

Can confirm Kinane's new half hour is really funny. I judge comedy by how much it makes me actually laugh, and I laughed a lot. It's real good.

It was just okay until he got to the stuff about the KKK

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I hadn’t heard anything of Todd Glass until I listened to his recent appearance on Comedy Bang Bang.

Observations:

1) he sounds like Lewis Black and John Gabrus slammed together.

2) his laugh is hysterical.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Gramps posted:

That's good considering how unhappy he seems with it on his podcast.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
It's Kyle Kinane doing Kyle Kinane comedy. It's funny. See the full hour live if you can!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Gad Elmaleh's first English-language special is out and people are saying it's pretty decent. For those who haven't heard of him, he's Seinfeld huge in France, but a couple of years ago he decided to move to US and try to break into stand-up there, despite being completely unknown there and only having a typical Frenchman's grasp of English. An article about him:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/arts/international/gad-elmaleh-talking-funny-in-french-and-english.html

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Megazver posted:

So Gad Elmaleh's first English-language special is out and people are saying it's pretty decent. For those who haven't heard of him, he's Seinfeld huge in France, but a couple of years ago he decided to move to US and try to break into stand-up there, despite being completely unknown there and only having a typical Frenchman's grasp of English. An article about him:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/arts/international/gad-elmaleh-talking-funny-in-french-and-english.html

Or if you prefer - there was a pretty interesting segment about him on This American Life a while back.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/596/becoming-a-badger

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I hadn’t heard anything of Todd Glass until I listened to his recent appearance on Comedy Bang Bang.

Observations:

1) he sounds like Lewis Black and John Gabrus slammed together.

2) his laugh is hysterical.

Going by your screenname, you should check out his episode U Talkin' U2 To Me? called Staind Glass immediately.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
So David Cross just announced a new tour. Tickets on sale this Friday at 10:00 local time for all shows. A lot (all?) of them also showing a presale starting Wednesday but no mention of a code in the notification email.

Anyone able to track it down?

Edit : Appears to be "COMEDY" if anyone cares.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 24, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Patton Oswalt is doing performances and I didn't know where else to post it so here:
https://twitter.com/carolrhartsell/status/989163764036579329

They started filming a documentary about this like, 3 days ago :psyduck: I have no idea how I would handle my late wife's life work finally possibly resulting in some mattering.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Did Patton's wife's book really help make the case or is it just a nice coincidence?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nerve posted:

Did Patton's wife's book really help make the case or is it just a nice coincidence?

it did, it got people talking about a case that's been cold for decades and sadly 'writer dies suddenly while finishing true crime book' gets a lot of eyes on the project

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The cops claim her book changed nothing but that might be them covering for the fact this guy is an ex cop

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The cops claim her book changed nothing but that might be them covering for the fact this guy is an ex cop

They said the facts in the book did not aid them but the book keeping the investigation in the public eye was useful.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I dunno... I mean on one hand this was her life’s work and the years of research she spent on finding the killer led to him being immediately found upon publication of her evidence but on the other hand the cops said nope.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I dunno... I mean on one hand this was her life’s work and the years of research she spent on finding the killer led to him being immediately found upon publication of her evidence but on the other hand the cops said nope.

Hmm I wonder who I should believe :thunk:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/kylekinane/status/991041206594322432

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Just because it's been decades since anyone paid attention to Roseanne or Dennis Miller it doesn't mean these views are new.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I would've thought this thread would be all up in arms about Tom Myers (A COMEDIAN!!) by now. Not only ripping off material from better comics, but literally stealing their accents to do their material.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Personally never heard of Tom Myers. Pretty bold to steal from Frankie Boyle!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
https://medium.com/@skydart/rose-colored-glasses-6be0594970ca

Hardwick has a reckoning coming.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Read it. Jesus Christ. Really makes me feel bad for having a Chris Hardwick-liking period in my life where I listened to Nerdist and liked most of what he'd been in, his stand-up and podcast appearances, all that. Oy. And what's worse? All that poo poo reads in his voice. None of it seems out of character for him in the least.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
To talk about something.. somewhat(?) less abusive, I just watched Cameron Esposito's special Rape Jokes, which is on her website for free. Its pretty good.

I know some people, especially Earwolf podcast fans, hate when she talks about being a lesbian, and boy is this show not for them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jesus Christ I always kinda liked Hardwick even when he's being mr annoying 'heh what is sportsball I like Doctor Who' nerd stereotype but yea 100% agree not only is that horrifying it completely 'fits' coming from him too.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

Read it. Jesus Christ. Really makes me feel bad for having a Chris Hardwick-liking period in my life where I listened to Nerdist and liked most of what he'd been in, his stand-up and podcast appearances, all that. Oy. And what's worse? All that poo poo reads in his voice. None of it seems out of character for him in the least.

Same. Took me a while to realize he just says dr who/Harry Potter/marvel catchphrases as punchlines, and possesses an uncanny ability to find funnier people and ride their coattails while portraying himself as the leader.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
https://deadline.com/2018/06/chris-hardwick-off-nerdist-site-abuse-allegations-chloe-dyskstra-1202411456/

Chris Hardwick is being wiped off Nerdist.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

RIP to the sycophant power hour podcast

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

red19fire posted:

Same. Took me a while to realize he just says dr who/Harry Potter/marvel catchphrases as punchlines, and possesses an uncanny ability to find funnier people and ride their coattails while portraying himself as the leader.

I was always bummed out that his career did way better then Jonah Ray or Matt Mira. Guess that's not true anymore.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

That comment section is a fun cool place.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I'm sure glad he's going the denial and reasoning route

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Honestly I’ve never seen an “As a future father...” deflection before, cutting edge stuff

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Sean Rouse died on the 29th. Just realized it now.

http://thecomicscomic.com/2018/06/30/r-i-p-sean-rouse-1975-2018/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
drat. can't believe this thread is dying

Just found out a new Jim Jeffries is up on Netflix so I know what I'm doing tonight

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jerry Seinfeld on Between Two Ferns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp25FOn37nA

From a month ago but I somehow missed it

Amazing

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

EugeneJ posted:

Jerry Seinfeld on Between Two Ferns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp25FOn37nA

From a month ago but I somehow missed it

Amazing

Thanks, that was amazing. Did Zach ever do comedians in cars? There haven’t been any new episodes for a couple of years right?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

mrfart posted:

Thanks, that was amazing. Did Zach ever do comedians in cars? There haven’t been any new episodes for a couple of years right?

Netflix hit me with this very item when I opened it yesterday. Figures it would be a mutual.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

mrfart posted:

New batch of episodes just hit netflix like last week.
Zach has an episode. It's probably the best one of the newest batch. He's got a hard out so they get pressed for time though :(

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jim Jeffries' new one is awesome, as usual.

edit:

The subject of Andy Kauffman came up in a "PYF TV Shows That Haven't Aged Well" thread so I'm cross posting it here:

Link to the PYF thread where Kauffman came up (page 40):

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3828513&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=244#post486333569

I like this discussion about Kauffman. Have we ever had a Kauffman thread? Where would we put it?

Kauffman's schtick has aged really well I think and has only gotten better over time

Sacha Baron Cohen is the closest thing I can think of as a comparison in a modern sense. Andy wasn't FUNNY, really, but he was a genius. Perfectly tailored for wrestling actually. He got those wrestling hicks to hate his loving guts and conned half the world into believing that the poo poo he did with Jerry Lawler and that episode of Fridays was real. He was very good on Taxi also but like someone else said, HATED cheap laughs, catch phrases and shallow sitcoms and was probably terrified of being limited like that. It'd be like if anyone who saw Robin Williams only wanted him to do "Shazbot" and "nannoo-nanooo" for the rest of his life. We all saw what Williams went on to do before he killed himself.

Andy rightfully resisted becoming Bart's "I didn't do it" one liner persona and obviously had far bigger ideas but back then no one could understand that. I think if Andy were around today he'd fit in perfectly with the YouTube celebrity culture and the Barnum and Bailey nature of reality TV. He was way ahead of his time.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 23, 2018

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rhea Butcher and Cameron Esposito have announced they're separating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
:smith: