Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Every JRPG needs the ability to sic a tiger on npcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I finally got to start on my Octopath a little bit ago. I started with H'aanit, which was fine, but the first house I busted into with her Provoke had a purple chest only Therion can open. That made me irrationally upset, so I'm starting over with Therion and so far it's all about evasion and stealing lots of things from nice people so I guess that's alright.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

OddObserver posted:

I hope you had Ophelia in your party....

I didn't. What happened?

Also, that chapter got kinda dark near the end there. Holy crap! Human sacrifice and practice of blood magic to create crystallized human blood. :stare:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheKimersonShow/status/1017848876039049217

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I love that we're 30+ pages in and I don't think anyone's correctly identified Linde once.

Hell yeah baby you let that snow cougar eat that pregnant lady's face

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Whenever Cyrus uses scrutinize on someone I imagine he's pulling a Larry David.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

lmao there's a sidequest with a multiple ways to solve it in Tressa's hometown concerning a woman and a man, the man being a spineless walk-over and the woman rejecting him for that reason. If you bring the man's mother over to the scene, the mother whips him good (metaphorically, not literally) and ruins every chance he has with the woman of his dreams but if you Challenge/Provoke him, then lose (which can happen because the man is actually contrary to everyone's belief a rather decent fighter) or flee the fight, the woman recognizes that the man is stronger than her initial impression of him was and they get married. Game is great in the freedom you have in resolving all these things! :allears:

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

lmao there's a sidequest with a multiple ways to solve it in Tressa's hometown concerning a woman and a man, the man being a spineless walk-over and the woman rejecting him for that reason. If you bring the man's mother over to the scene, the mother whips him good (metaphorically, not literally) and ruins every chance he has with the woman of his dreams but if you Challenge/Provoke him, then lose (which can happen because the man is actually contrary to everyone's belief a rather decent fighter) or flee the fight, the woman recognizes that the man is stronger than her initial impression of him was and they get married. Game is great in the freedom you have in resolving all these things! :allears:

Wow that's a really unique way to solve that quest, I thought I had to go find some manly dude to marry her.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

That is really cool. A lot of times when I finish a sidequest it feels like the way I did it was the only way to do it, so hearing about alternatives is fascinating to me

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Folt The Bolt posted:

I didn't realize the girl was tsundere so I just went to beat up the guy for bothering her and then got my rear end whupped. Imagine my surprise when that turned out to be the right way to do it. I wonder what happens if you win?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

I didn't realize the girl was tsundere so I just went to beat up the guy for bothering her and then got my rear end whupped. Imagine my surprise when that turned out to be the right way to do it. I wonder what happens if you win?

Nothing happens.

OddObserver posted:

I hope you had Ophelia in your party....

Also, I looked this up and yes, that is a good convo!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I beat him and nothing happened and I was really confused as to why the woman wasn't happy that I throttled the nerd who was harassing her :(

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Anyone know if passives learned from a subclass can still be used if the subclass is no longer equipped? That sp regen dancer thing looks great for everyone.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

acumen posted:

Anyone know if passives learned from a subclass can still be used if the subclass is no longer equipped? That sp regen dancer thing looks great for everyone.

They absolutely can and it is so good

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Gathered my party and started looking for the job shrines. Found the Scholar one and made Alfyn a 420 Wizard and holy poo poo does that work for him.

Need to figure out what the rest of my party/classes are gonna be.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

poo poo ya

Oh god I'm going to spend forever grinding out jp

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

someone awful. posted:

Seconding this. I have that and the Merchant one that halves SP cost on Cyrus and in boss battles, it's basically "what is SP cost?"

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Cyrus, in party banter: "Wow Primrose you dance beautifully, I wish I could dance like that."
Cyrus, in game mechanics: Currently subclassed as Dancer.

Git Gud, Cyrus.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

Seconding this. I have that and the Merchant one that halves SP cost on Cyrus and in boss battles, it's basically "what is SP cost?"

Oh god between that and the Dancer one that regrnerates mp it would be almost physically impossible to run out of mana

e: that's exactly what you said lol I'm dumb

But seriously there are a ton of combos that work really well, I have the buff-duration boosting one on Olberic (for getting them) and Prim (for giving them) so that guy is never not buffed to the nines and it's disgusting during long fights

I also have the counter attack one on Olberic so I can have him Taunt and then just punch everyone in the face extremely hard!!!

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 15, 2018

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Are there any negative repercussions to Provoking and beating the crap out of everyone possible? Will they stay knocked out forever and lock me out of potential sidequests or something?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Are there any negative repercussions to Provoking and beating the crap out of everyone possible? Will they stay knocked out forever and lock me out of potential sidequests or something?

If you leave the town and come back they'll be conscious again.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

As far as I can tell, no. Fallen dudes seem to reset when you leave town and come back

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://mynintendonews.com/2018/07/14/japan-square-enix-apologises-for-octopath-traveler-supply-shortage/

game seems to have either done well in japan

or it sold above low expectations and surprised them

either way

very cool

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Decided to pull the trigger on buying the game since as I've been playing the demo I just kept eyeballing the play time and getting increasingly distraught the closer I got to the 3 hour mark. That's as good a sign as any that a game will be a good purchase.

Also I haven't gotten to her yet but I'm already sold on Tressa due to this uh... very strategic sprite art for her victory pose.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dueling random people is weird, but I feel like random animal attacks are worse. I found a quest were a woman was unimpressed with her suitor where clearly the solution was to have the guy's mom talk him out of it, but instead I sicked a leopard and lost the fight to a young man. She was so taken with his ability to beat women that she accepted his proposal! I may have gotten the reward, but I feel like I could've handled things better than I did...

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I love this game

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
There's so much good poo poo out there to steal. Once you're at the second set of towns there's a solid 3-5 people with high end stuff to snatch.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

If a sidequest has multiple possible outcomes you might accidently end it the violent way (I completed a quest this way before I knew it was a quest.)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Super religious Ophelia questing over to Cyrus who lives in the library and is studying up on her religion is like homeschool sleepaway camp the JRPG.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lol if you catch a Cait Sith with H'annit or whatever those cats are called it casts every buff in the game on your entire party for 9 turns

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lol if you catch a Cait Sith with H'annit or whatever those cats are called it casts every buff in the game on your entire party for 9 turns

I was wondering about that!!

I haven't even managed to kill one yet. Looking forward to it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

6 hours in and I love this game. JRPGs like Chrono Trigger were always my comfort food game and this is no exception. Finally have my full party of Therion/H'annit/Cyrus/Primrose and have been acquiring all sorts of sidequests, none of which I know what to do with but I'm excited about all the puzzles that await. Primrose's first boss actually threw me for a loop so it's cool that the bosses scale with my progress. Going after Ophelia now. But I will say that the Scrutinize option is great and it takes a lot to make me NOT want to read everyone's backstory. Especially this dog who appears to be Jules from Pulp Fiction.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I have Ophilia subclassed with scholar which I'm not sure is a good idea. Her holy light attack also appears to do more damage when an enemy is stunned vs any other element, even one the enemy is weak to. H'aanit seems OP all around too, some of those monsters hit like a truck.

Trying to come up with a party is kind of difficult since I like well rounded groups of healer/dps/tank/other but I also have to think about path actions and having both H'aanit and Olberic in the party is just doubling up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I like Olberic because hearing him scream MY BLADE IS UNBENDING before smashing the absolute poo poo out of something is always great.

A lot of good one liners for fully charged bp moves.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So I gave Prim the apothecary secondary class and then put as much elemental attack on her gear as I could and she's good again.

Unboosted 300+ AoE dark damage :discourse:

Also for the smarties among us that have Therion, just an FYI that when you're gathering people in chapter one the game resets your town reputation when you start the new person's backstory so go hog wild trying to get that rare poo poo. I assume this is because you're given a tutorial on how their out of combat action works as part of it and they didn't want to code it to work separately from your party rep.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 15, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

6 hours in and I love this game. JRPGs like Chrono Trigger were always my comfort food game and this is no exception. Finally have my full party of Therion/H'annit/Cyrus/Primrose and have been acquiring all sorts of sidequests, none of which I know what to do with but I'm excited about all the puzzles that await. Primrose's first boss actually threw me for a loop so it's cool that the bosses scale with my progress. Going after Ophelia now. But I will say that the Scrutinize option is great and it takes a lot to make me NOT want to read everyone's backstory. Especially this dog who appears to be Jules from Pulp Fiction.

Scrutinize/Inquire is my favorite Path Action entirely because the information you get is pretty awesome (and also the bonuses to other path actions and hidden items)

Overbite posted:

I have Ophilia subclassed with scholar which I'm not sure is a good idea. Her holy light attack also appears to do more damage when an enemy is stunned vs any other element, even one the enemy is weak to. H'aanit seems OP all around too, some of those monsters hit like a truck.

Trying to come up with a party is kind of difficult since I like well rounded groups of healer/dps/tank/other but I also have to think about path actions and having both H'aanit and Olberic in the party is just doubling up.

That's because attacks against enemies in Break state always has the bonus from weak point damage added in addition to the bonus for hitting enemies in Break state. Since Holy Light is a single-target spell, it has a higher multiplier than a multi-target spell and with the addition of the break and weak point damage bonuses from broken enemies, it will hit pretty hard. As such, you basically want to focus on breaking a powerful enemy as quickly as possible so you can unleash your most powerful, highest-boosted attacks on it. (Or to put it in other words; you're targeting weapon/element weaknesses to circumvent weapon/element weaknesses.)

Ophilia wants to sub Scholar mostly because Scholar gives her access to three types of common useful multi-target attacks, some of which hits twice, as an addition to her Staff and Light type attacks, that is based off of her best attacking stat (and which are also cheaper to use than her default multi-target attack). Later on in the game, the Divine Skill ups these spells, especially the multi-hit ones, to a level that surpass Holy Light.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I found a elderly woman with full marks in strength and mighty blow what the gently caress is with mega powerful old people in this world

Do you gain more power as you get older

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Dueling random people is weird, but I feel like random animal attacks are worse. I found a quest were a woman was unimpressed with her suitor where clearly the solution was to have the guy's mom talk him out of it, but instead I sicked a leopard and lost the fight to a young man. She was so taken with his ability to beat women that she accepted his proposal! I may have gotten the reward, but I feel like I could've handled things better than I did...

If the woman in question was sicking a murderbeast upon someone and that someone managed to get them to back down, I'd be pretty impressed.

It's because by beating you in battle, he managed to prove what the difficulty stats (and Scrutinize/Inquire information) already implied; that he wasn't the spineless weakling she thought he was. In contrast, if you approach with the mother, he never gets to prove himself because the mother never let's him, which loses him any chance he had and reinforces the woman's belief in his how pathetic he is.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I have a broken brain so I always have to have a steal man in games like this, and if a game allows for it I always have to go for a self-sustaining mana battery strategy ASAP. Therion is my golden jrpg messiah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How easy is it to break the game?