Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/08/met-police-pose-delivery-drivers-combat-moped?CMP=fb_gu

5 0 have taken my bait idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Neat:
https://i.imgur.com/cNkMybY.mp4

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The rare example of skills being used in daily life:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk1wRZKFTQG/

A drunk tries to start in on Matt Serra in a Vegas restaurant, gets sat on until cops show up.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Hahaha nice

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love how he is just so chill about it. Like talking to a toddler.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Mekchu posted:

I love how he is just so chill about it. Like talking to a toddler.

To be fair when you roll with a brand new white belt it kinda is like that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Great example of the 'least necessary force' theory of self defense, too. He absolutely could have disabled that guy in a permanent manner.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Great example of the 'least necessary force' theory of self defense, too. He absolutely could have disabled that guy in a permanent manner.

you just need to learn how to maintain emotional control

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

hi liter posted:

you just need to learn how to maintain emotional control

It was pretty obvious he wasnt going to hurt him. All the control positions are just that: control.

Gryi
Sep 30, 2004
"Rem Koolhaas is the Darth Vader of architecture."
Was flipping around YouTube and saw some videos by Neil Adams, figure I’d give them a watch and noticed he’s using the default iMovie trailer templates.

Does anyone else think a motivational judo video made in the style of a horror trailer is hilarious?

https://youtu.be/x3j5u2Hba_o

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
It's been about 6 months because I've moved house but I've been invited to the pro gym in my city so I'll be back to getting beaten up regularly again soon. Wish me luck.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
What is your distinction between gym and pro gym?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Novum posted:

Pro fighters go there

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Makes sense

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
There's a gym called pro gym in my town, instead of making you lift, they offer you roids.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can you get stronger just by juicing and not actually lifting? asking for a friend

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Dave Grool posted:

Can you get stronger just by juicing and not actually lifting? asking for a friend

Clinical tests I've read indicate that yes they do. But it's comparatively useless in comparison to even light exercice with Roids.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

Clinical tests I've read indicate that yes they do. But it's comparatively useless in comparison to even light exercice with Roids.

So just for example roids + hobbyist level grappling? same friend

e: wait poo poo different friend

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I don't think you can morally compete at an amateur level and roid, just bare that in mind.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Dave Grool posted:

So just for example roids + hobbyist level grappling? same friend

e: wait poo poo different friend

It could probably do a difference but I'm no expert.If I ever was to take Roids, I'd take them with the supervision of a professional. When it comes to your conditioning, I believe anything that you can do regularly and doesn't tire your body is good (meaning once you've finished exercising, you could resume your day as if you just finished a warmup).

Use low weight, and train at like max 70% intensity. Keep doing whatever you're doing, until you're just about to start feeling tired, and then stop, do something else.

Basically you want to avoid burning your muscles with lactic acid and tiring yourself out or else recuperation time will be longer and be a detriment to the number of times you could work out during the week. I believe some types of roids help specifically with recuperation. But if you train intelligently and don't try beating personal records every training day, you will see improvement in the long term.

Source; Friends that work in fitness, a girl I know that couldn't run and went to a trainer that gave her a program similar to this and now can run like a mofo, the blog a dude posted some weeks ago and Firas Zahabi.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 15, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's like some bizarro world where Willie posts the most sensible thing about roids but this isn't a steroid thread, could you guys please STFU about it. I really don't enjoy reading advice about using steroids better

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

mewse posted:

It's like some bizarro world where Willie posts the most sensible thing about roids but this isn't a steroid thread, could you guys please STFU about it. I really don't enjoy reading advice about using steroids better

If you read my posts you would know I wasn't promoting their use.

Edit : Just so I'm clear, I believe taking unprescribed roids for performance gains is immoral in competition and unsafe to your wellbeing. I believe that because they are getting very easy to obtain and casual hobbyists are looking more and more into obtaining some and getting into sports where they can get an edge, information should be made available so people find alternatives that could complement their training in a more holistic manner and fight a bit back against the "no pain, no gain" mentality in training.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 15, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I would never use PEDs but I could see myself juicing and not working out just to enjoy the mood swings.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
don’t do loving roids. I don’t give a poo poo if you’re just a gym rat lifting for yourself, but in a martial art or competitive sport you’re working with other people who will pay the price if you go too far with it. If you’re bored then go kick a log til your legs get hard.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
nah I'm doin it, it's over for ya'll

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

mewse posted:

Yea, take PED use posting advice out of this thread and move them over to the TCC where they belong.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Novum posted:

To expand on this, I find a lot of big cities have a variety of gyms. Some where anyone can go and take a practically boxercise type class, some that are reasonably competitive on the amateur circuit, and the smallest amount contain pro fighters that are a bit more selective of who they let train in "pro's only" sessions (not me)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Squirrel Burger posted:

don’t do loving roids. I don’t give a poo poo if you’re just a gym rat lifting for yourself, but in a martial art or competitive sport you’re working with other people who will pay the price if you go too far with it. If you’re bored then go kick a log til your legs get hard.

The best reason to stay away from that poo poo is to look at all the pro wrestlers from the 80's-90's when they were expected by the company to be on the juice. A lot of them are dead, usually young, from things like heart failure in guys otherwise in great health.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Turns out the juice effects your muscles, and your hearts a muscle.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

There are many health reasons to not juice, but I’ve been of the mindset that you can do what you want if you’re prepared to accept the risk. My background is amateur bodybuilding, so I’ve worked out with people on gear and generally not given a drat because they were adults who could make their own decisions. not with martial arts though. If I knew one of the students was juicing I’d absolutely refuse to roll or spar with them. There’s too much at risk when your practice equipment is another person’s body.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Squirrel Burger posted:

There are many health reasons to not juice, but I’ve been of the mindset that you can do what you want if you’re prepared to accept the risk.
data is not so well groomed that people can make an educated enough decision.

quote:

If I knew one of the students was juicing I’d absolutely refuse to roll or spar with them. There’s too much at risk when your practice equipment is another person’s body.
Setting aside roid rage phenomena, I don't see extra power / endurance as an issue in a sparring partner. I'd much rather have a controlled, precise doper than some weaker spaz with problems not escalating.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Squirrel Burger posted:

There are many health reasons to not juice, but I’ve been of the mindset that you can do what you want if you’re prepared to accept the risk. My background is amateur bodybuilding, so I’ve worked out with people on gear and generally not given a drat because they were adults who could make their own decisions. not with martial arts though. If I knew one of the students was juicing I’d absolutely refuse to roll or spar with them. There’s too much at risk when your practice equipment is another person’s body.

oh no they'll uuuh recover faster at you, stay away!!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Wangsbig posted:

oh no they'll uuuh recover faster at you, stay away!!

To be fair, I'd be weary of rolling with an amateur that feels the need to take steroids. If the Roids are to get gym taps and getting swole I'd be worried the guy does it to manage his ego and rolling actively bruises ego and puts partners in danger.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

Odddzy posted:

To be fair, I'd be weary of rolling with an amateur that feels the need to take steroids. If the Roids are to get gym taps and getting swole I'd be worried the guy does it to manage his ego and rolling actively bruises ego and puts partners in danger.

Basically this. For me, it’s a reflection of my personal experiences in Los Angeles with people on gear. The precise dopers have typically the ones who have built a base and rely on their aesthetics and strength for pro work, like models and bouncers. I don’t mind them, since their use has gone hand in hand with dedicated training and I don’t give a drat if you’re big or recover quickly as long as you respect your opponent and know how to handle yourself. Most of the ones I’ve dealt with, on the other hand, have been relative newcomers who quickly cave to the city’s pressure for aesthetics and quick results and decided to take drastic shortcuts for the sake of their egos before focusing on discipline or consistency, and training with them has sucked big time. Ymmv.

Edit: it also helps that I don’t see nearly as many people juicing at my BJJ gym than anywhere else around here. The dojo frowns on it and most people coming in understand going easy and putting in the work.

Squirrel Burger fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 16, 2018

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I don't think you can really accuratetly judge someone based on roid usage and the correlation of what they will be likely to roll with.

My roiding meant I could kimura lazy fat heavyweights who just stiff armed to defend themselves against my puny arms, now they can't. That doesn't mean I'm going to use the same strength on people who arent much bigger than me or are rolling lightly.

Hell I rolled with a 6'4ish lanky skinny like I used to be guy a month or so ago and I basically went like water and let him not stop attack me without really doing anything but change position, so much so he said I was his favourite to roll with because he could do anything and everything and wasn't afraid I'd punish him for experimenting with different attacks and he's been asking when I'm next going back.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

Squirrel Burger posted:

Edit: it also helps that I don’t see nearly as many people juicing at my BJJ gym than anywhere else around here. The dojo frowns on it and most people coming in understand going easy and putting in the work.

A good 50% of the people I train with are on roids to recover so they can get more technique training time in. There are some that have an awful attitude and it does seem that the worst attitudes are had by roiders, but so do some of the nicest most friendly guys as they don't feel the need to prove anything what so ever against people they are rolling with.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

willie_dee posted:

A good 50% of the people I train with are on roids to recover so they can get more technique training time in. There are some that have an awful attitude and it does seem that the worst attitudes are had by roiders, but so do some of the nicest most friendly guys as they don't feel the need to prove anything what so ever against people they are rolling with.

You're correct that I shouldn't make blanket assumptions re: roids and attitude/dedication, nor should I let my view be colored by the outliers and weird roid culture here in Los Angeles. Guess it just comes from my limited experience.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Ive got to admit, I'd be curious to see a filmed rolling session of you Willy. I'd watch all of it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

willie_dee posted:

A good 50% of the people I train with are on roids to recover so they can get more technique training time in.

Same difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Odddzy posted:

Ive got to admit, I'd be curious to see a filmed rolling session of you Willy. I'd watch all of it.

:allears:

Same.