Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Meh no sooner did I send that post an empire appeared next door to me, equally the same size. Must just be the settings I went for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Communist Bear posted:

I think my current medium sized game might have hit a bug, possibly caused by mods.

It's the year 2260 and I haven't met any other alien empire yet.

So lonely. :smith:

If you want to check if it's bugged, you could use the console. Hit the tilde key and type observe to see the whole galaxy, which will let you check if you're alone ("play 0" to go back to your empire). Or, if you don't want spoilers about where everyone is, you can type "surrender 1", "surrender 2, "surrender 3" etc to see the names of other empires in the galaxy (rationalise it in your head as receiving faint transmissions or whatever if the notion bothers you). If the first few empires have normal sounding names (i.e. don't have a fallen empire sounding name or a primitive name like "Yldari Civilization") you'll know you're not alone.

Sometimes you do just get lucky and get a quadrant of the galaxy to yourself.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Reveilled posted:

Managed to get a full third of a 1000-star galaxy to myself. Neatly tucked in between a FE and Marauders on one side, and the Dreadnought and the Dragon one the other. Just me and a fanatical purifier..

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

A few custom designs that work for me as a general I dont care what I'm fighting in early game

Corvette Interceptor
Point Defense Hull
Flak, Auto Cannon/Kinetic, Plasma/Laser
Armor, Crystal Plate/Armor, Shield
Swarm Computer
Afterburners

Flak there has decent dps, has tracking to hit other corvettes, and is a generic damage type. They tend to be right there as the enemy missiles are fired and weight of fire pops them
Plasma and Auto Cannon just do bonus vs everything in turn.
Two armor because one damage type with missiles bypass shields completely and shields, even weak, regenerate. replace with crystal plate to allow corvettes to survive defense by pass attacks and withdrawal more likely.

I pair them with these. they add punch to the corvette fleet, and are nearly as hard to hit.
Corvette Guided
Missile Hull
Auto Cannon/Kinetic, Missile
Armor, Crystal Plate/Armor, Shield
Picket Computer
Afterburners

I tend to ignore destroyers. But I go with gunships.

Medium x2, Small x2 hull layout
Medium slots take 2 lasers. Kinetic cannons in the small slots, they have the same range as medium lasers. Half damage medium lasers still damage shields decently
Armor x3, Crystal Plate/Shield, Shield x2
Line computer
Afterburners

An amusing option late game with either AI or better Psionic computers, is an artillery brawler.

Large/PD hull

Kinetic Artillery/Large Other, x2 Laser point defenses
Armor x3, Crystal Plate/Shield, Shield x2
Picket Psionic Interface
Enigmatic Decoder

You have a cheap ship flying in with a hugely over sized gun with absurd tracking for its size. With top sensors, that Artillery has a tracking of 60 or so. A top dodging corvette has an evade of 90. tracking 60 makes that 30 evade. 30 evade vs accuracy 80 on that big gun means half of those artillery rounds are hitting corvettes.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Reveilled posted:

If you want to check if it's bugged, you could use the console. Hit the tilde key and type observe to see the whole galaxy, which will let you check if you're alone ("play 0" to go back to your empire). Or, if you don't want spoilers about where everyone is, you can type "surrender 1", "surrender 2, "surrender 3" etc to see the names of other empires in the galaxy (rationalise it in your head as receiving faint transmissions or whatever if the notion bothers you). If the first few empires have normal sounding names (i.e. don't have a fallen empire sounding name or a primitive name like "Yldari Civilization") you'll know you're not alone.

Nah it's okay now, got four more empires contacting me. Slow trickle now. Looks like the medium settings have just resulted in more space and a more focused game compared to a large galaxy with multiple empires.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

So, ship designs. I use certain names in all of my games as it makes it easier for me to remember what they do.

Corvettes are going to be the main body of your fleets actually. They're very survivable due to their evade which helps them to dodge fire, and to FTL out when they do get hit hard and don't die immediately. Also as a whole, they survive well as an enemy using big guns that does a bunch of damage wasted a shot on a smaller ship that doesn't even have that as max HP, which saves your bigger ships. Anyway, for the designs.

All have 2 shield and 1 armor with an afterburner. However at points of the game you'll be lacking in power, so you'll need to make that 1 shield and 2 armor to fit. Also if fighting enemies with things like auto-cannons, the latter is better.

Basic: 2 Railguns and 1 Laser. This is what you will use before you unlock the nice toys. If you scout out that the enemy has more armor than shields, swap the ratio. Retrofit these guys into the following three:

LaGG: 3 Auto-cannons, these guys are here to mulch other corvettes and to strip the shields off bigger stuff. Once you get plasma weapons, replacing one of the AC's with one is a good idea.

MiG: Missile and auto-cannon, great for taking out corvettes and destroyers, while also doing good damage to bigger stuff. Furthermore, their missiles will be the sacrificial cover for the next design.

Kamov: Torpedo and auto-cannon, for killing things like cruisers and battleships.

I run with these designs in an even mixture of 1/3rd each. This results in some truly absurd firepower as 15 torpedoes slam into a target at he same time. The LaGGs and MiGs will clear out the enemy corvettes and destroyers quickly and the Kamovs will bring the hurt on the big targets.

I somewhat eschew destroyers, but they can bring some extra firepower early on. I cover them in auto-cannons to start as most of the opposition will be corvettes still. Once The enemy hits cruisers, I retrofit them to carry a large gun.

Larger ships are pretty basic, you just pack on an even mix of appropriately sized guns. For my money, I prefer rolling with Rails and Plasma.

I also use missile cruisers, starting with missiles but increasing and then going all torps as the game progresses. However once you get to battleships, cruisers and destroyers are not good buys and it's better to just go all in with Corvettes and Battleships.

For example, my late game fleet consists of 15/15/15 Lagg/MiG/Kamov and then 4-10 Battleships. A Titan too if I can.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 14, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My end game fleets consisted of 100 corvettes, a Titan, and as many battleships as I could fit into fleet comp. Corvettes had missiles and autocannons, battleships had arc emitters and kinetic batteries. Everything had afterburners. Stuff kind of melted.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RedSnapper posted:

Managed to get a full third of a 1000-star galaxy to myself. Neatly tucked in between a FE and Marauders on one side, and the Dreadnought and the Dragon one the other. Just me and a fanatical purifier..

increase the number of AIs in the galaxy settings next time, that sounds horrible

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is there a visual indication of sensor range anywhere?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Truga posted:

endless legend is good and endless space 2 is amazing

it's really weird how much stellaris thread hates endless and endless thread hates stellaris, to me.

You see this in all gaming communities to varying degrees. Nerd tribalism is weird.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Jazerus posted:

increase the number of AIs in the galaxy settings next time, that sounds horrible

I usually play with the number maxed out, but that run was fun. After winning that cage match with the fp, gave my sectors collonization rights and started to grow massively bloated at a pace that was outright silly (fast breeders + extremely adaptable works wonders). I went with the genemodding ascension and at one point had some 8-10 subspecies of my race (and no other, it was a xenephobe run). Then I burst out of my bubble and proceded to eat up (literally) every other race until the victory screen came about.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

turn off the TV posted:

Is there a visual indication of sensor range anywhere?

I don't think so? It's nothing, plus 1 per sensor tech tier, with 3(?) bonus of it's a science ship. That's in jump connections, so the real distance doesn't matter, just how many jumps it is. The only visual indicator you have is "can you see stuff in the system" - if you can't it's either out of range or in a nebula.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Oh man, i set the mid game slider as low as it would go and FINALLY the horde has actually started conquering things without getting smothered in its cradle. I went through like seven games where they were just slaughtered right off the bat and it was very disappointing. Now they’ve made a satrapy of the nearby science robots and are expanding at a good clip. Gonna run into the fanatic purifiers / determined exterminators to my north soon which will be nice and should relieve some pressure on me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Setting the mid game to start after 50 years is definitely the way to go.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

I don't think so? It's nothing, plus 1 per sensor tech tier, with 3(?) bonus of it's a science ship. That's in jump connections, so the real distance doesn't matter, just how many jumps it is. The only visual indicator you have is "can you see stuff in the system" - if you can't it's either out of range or in a nebula.

This is one thing I really don't like about the 2.0 changes, there is no clear indicator for the difference between active sensor coverage and full surveying. It's very hard to get a good impression of the extent of your early warning detection.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So what's the genesis of the text of the thread title?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Minenfeld! posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Assassination_of_Jesse_James_by_the_Coward_Robert_Ford

Wiz is redoing FTL drives or something

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Minenfeld! posted:

Stellaris started out with three separate types of FTL you could choose for your space pokemans, but when the game reached version 2.0, warp was murdered, travel by wormholes became something different and only hyperdrives remained as the sole main FTL-type.

Also, :lol: another space nation has just pried open the L-Gates in my game. Why thank you fuckers, unleashing the Grey Tempest through the two gates I control was exactly what I wanted! :suicide:

At least their ships look great. Wish I could get them as a shipset. Welp anyway this run is basically over, I think. Even the strongest of the AIs will have trouble with them, and my peaceful space scientist are kind of overwhelmed by getting twice as many death fleets.

Edit:

Yeah, definitely doomed. Even retooled to do maximum damage, my fleets can't scratch the Tempest-ships. And looking at the galactic map, the gates on the other side of the galaxy are also spewing out the End of All Things.

I guess the lesson here is to stop using the beta asap, because holy poo poo is this broken. The gates opened far too early. Together with the other beta bugs I've encountered, this is a bit much.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 14, 2018

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
And so it ends

All those red signs? Grey Tempest fleets. Approximately 80% of the galaxy has been wiped out. And yes, I only have one planet left. And that one only survived because the two fleets assaulting it bugged out and got wiped out by a couple destroyers. The L-Gate fleets just stopped doing anything until they were dead.

Of course this only happens sometimes, most of the time everyone else dies. I'm now only playing to see if I can survive until the Tempest reaches those fuckers in the south. The only ones who got lucky so far in avoiding the by now dozens of roaming murder fleets.

Also the Fallen Empire and the Marauders are there, I guess. In a couple more decades they'll be the only ones left.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
I thought the beta fixed it so that the gates don’t open so early? Last game I got them open well into the late game and annihilated the tempest.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nightgull posted:

I thought the beta fixed it so that the gates don’t open so early? Last game I got them open well into the late game and annihilated the tempest.

Well, apparently that fix doesn't work. Or the fix only works for players? I got to 4/7 insights when suddenly, the gates sprang open. I guess the AI can just open gates really, really fast.

In my latest run, the Tempest has now annihilated a couple more races. Now even the assholes in the south are getting obliterated. Since most of the galaxy is now empty, I've decided to make one last observer-safe and be done with this. Looking at everyone dying gets depressing after a while.

Edit:

I guess we need a slider for L-Gate strength, too. :v:

Edit2:

Ahahahahaha, I just found this little pearl in the patch notes for 2.1.2:

quote:

AI empires are now more likely to find L-Cluster insights after 100 years have passed

So that explains this, the AI empires will just gladly commit suicide as soon as 100 years have passed. Welp, that definitely kills the beta, looks like it's time to go back to 2.1.1

Libluini fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 15, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely that should be pegged to your end/midgame sliders?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I just played an mp game today with two friends. One of them opened—ignoring my objections—the L-Gates in 2264. (This was with 75% tech/tradition cost though.) I think I had maybe 6k fleet power at that point, he had less, and the third guy had maybe 8k. Fortunately the Gray Tempest didn’t initially take more than one planet and a couple systems from me before wandering off to destroy AI empires “north” of me, just barely giving me time to build up enough to start fighting them off. I still lost half of my empire to them. The guy who released them had a planet in a system at the very edge of the galaxy, which the nanites ignored for a long time. Eventually they came for that too, but he escaped with a single colony ship far to the west, where his new colony was protected by the third guy. The third guy was unscathed, being far from any L-Gates. We eventually managed to fight our way to the factory in the late 2320s. There was one AI left, and about 40% of the galaxy’s habitable worlds were nanite worlds.

I was really near collapse after losing half of my anchorages, and if I had been destroyed the guy who was mostly unharmed probably couldn’t have held against a united gray tempest. If the nanites hadn’t ignored me early on we’d probably all have died.

I was really surprised he got all 7 insights from anomalies by the 2260s. We had mid game start year at 2275, does that affect things or what? It seems crazy early.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you really push hard into Discovery and anomaly chance, you can burn through the L gates much faster than people who do not. Such a massive amount of the insights come from anomalies that, especially if you know which ones to avoid researching (nanotech related ones) until you've discovered a gate, you can really blitz through them.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Libluini posted:

Stellaris started out with three separate types of FTL you could choose for your space pokemans, but when the game reached version 2.0, warp was murdered, travel by wormholes became something different and only hyperdrives remained as the sole main FTL-type.

I remember 2.0's reworks--I meant more the actual text which is apparently a book title. I should've articulated my question better. Thanks to both of you!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
After all this time I’ve finally figured out the secret to having a fun time playing stellaris: push the endgame crisis back a few centuries because AD 2400 is way too soon for me to be facing 100k point fleets. When the AI apocalypse or energy beings finally arrive, I’ll be ready.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Minenfeld! posted:

I remember 2.0's reworks--I meant more the actual text which is apparently a book title. I should've articulated my question better. Thanks to both of you!

More people know the movie probably
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443680/

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Applewhite posted:

After all this time I’ve finally figured out the secret to having a fun time playing stellaris: push the endgame crisis back a few centuries because AD 2400 is way too soon for me to be facing 100k point fleets. When the AI apocalypse or energy beings finally arrive, I’ll be ready.

Ugh by that time the galaxy will be completely static and the drat game will be running at a crawl no thanks

poo poo you’ll be completely into repeating techs too. What’s the point

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Phobeste posted:

Ugh by that time the galaxy will be completely static and the drat game will be running at a crawl no thanks

poo poo you’ll be completely into repeating techs too. What’s the point

To build a mess of ringworlds and dominate everyone and be super rad.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Applewhite posted:

Hey if this is what makes the game fun to you, go for it!

Me, I move it forward a bit because, if I don't, I usually hit a victory condition before the crisis spawns.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey if this is what makes the game fun to you, go for it!

Me, I move it forward a bit because, if I don't, I usually hit a victory condition before the crisis spawns.

I must be playing retarded or something. My enemies all seem to have fleets twice the size of mine at any given point in the game and I’m never prepared for the endgame crisis by 2400.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Applewhite posted:

I must be playing retarded or something. My enemies all seem to have fleets twice the size of mine at any given point in the game and I’m never prepared for the endgame crisis by 2400.

You're not focusing enough on minerals. It's really as simple as that. Any time you can spend minerals to produce more minerals, you should do it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Applewhite posted:

what is your mineral production like by 2300ish, because if you're still experiencing severe mineral crunch by then you're doing it wrong

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

President Ark posted:

what is your mineral production like by 2300ish, because if you're still experiencing severe mineral crunch by then you're doing it wrong

That’s probably it. It usually takes me until at least 2400 to break +30 minerals.
But if I build too many mines, won’t my research and energy production suffer?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Applewhite posted:

That’s probably it. It usually takes me until at least 2400 to break +30 minerals.
But if I build too many mines, won’t my research and energy production suffer?

Energy production will become more difficult, but an appropriate level of energy income at most stages of game is "+1" because you don't really spend it in big blocks except for leaders or edicts that are mostly optional.

Research has nothing to do with mines, only owned systems and colonies.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Strobe posted:

Energy production will become more difficult, but an appropriate level of energy income at most stages of game is "+1" because you don't really spend it in big blocks except for leaders or edicts that are mostly optional.

Research has nothing to do with mines, only owned systems and colonies.

Yeah but labs tho?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Applewhite posted:

haha jesus i usually break +30 by 2225 or so, you are way underproducing minerals

you should be getting the build of your research from research stations and unique buildings like the one that boosts pop growth, don't worry about building labs except on tiles that have at least +2 science or +1 on planets with science modifiers

e: like, consider, a research station on some anomaly-based research deposts might give +9 research; a lab won't give you +9 total research until it's like level 5 and it'll cost several times more minerals than the research station

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 15, 2018

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Of course we're not going to make a basic starting ship require you to have resources you can't produce in your home system.

Ugh, catering to casuals and twitch gamers again, I see. :mad:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Everything flows from mineral production. Im regularly hitting +1k a month by about 2300, 2k a month by 2350. And thats without hitting anything special as far as mine only planets or the like. I just put every mineral deposit as a mine, never minding its dual use, and put a power drill robot/droid/synth on it. If I wanted to, any world that is not my type can be made into pure mines with droids. even with just t2 mines, a tiny size 10 world is 30 minerals a month, then you factor in mineral processors and droid bonuses, you can get it to 40-50 easily. If you care about energy or research, take habitats, and put a solar collector habitat in orbit of it, then use that to power another pure research habitat to pay for the added cost of the power hab and mines. Added unity cost can be offset by buying an Art from the artisan troupe for each of these clusters. you get 5, so you can have 5 of these clusters going with no real loss in Unity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I was really dismayed when I tried my World Cracker out on a barren planet and didn't find that the resulting planetary shards could be turned into a rich source of lategame minerals. :smith: