Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

SolarFire2 posted:

I was going to say, "But John Boyega looks nothing like Billy Dee Williams." But then I remembered that Adam Driver looks nothing like Harrison Ford or Carrie Fisher.

I’d argue Driver has a similar nose to Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
You can get a poo poo ton out of an infirm actor with good blocking, a body double, green screen, and careful editing. See Christoper Lee in the Hobbit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxdCIf91mcQ

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Pops Mgee posted:

I’d argue Driver has a similar nose to Ford.

I've long pointed out that Ben is actually the son of Holiday Special cartoon Han.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYx3rNp5wyQ

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Arc Light posted:

Guess they needed another OT star to die in ep9.

Can't wait for the Willrow Hood cameo in Episode XVIII.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

It'll be the Maz Kanata scene all over again won't it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Lando comes to take the falcon back then peaces out. So long suckers

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

banned from Starbucks posted:

Lando comes to take the falcon back then peaces out. So long suckers

"See you later, sith lords!"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"Sith happens." -Lando Calrissian

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Have there been any "trustworthy" leaks on the episode 9 story? Is there any decent hypothesis on what'll happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU_7Ieg6ft8&t=208s

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spacetoaster posted:

Have there been any "trustworthy" leaks on the episode 9 story? Is there any decent hypothesis on what'll happen?

The main one that's circulated is that one from Reddit (the "Rey and Kylo's love child" one) sourced from a Redditor who claims to have seen early storyboards and purportedly got about 90% of TLJ right before it was released.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

The main one that's circulated is that one from Reddit (the "Rey and Kylo's love child" one) sourced from a Redditor who claims to have seen early storyboards and purportedly got about 90% of TLJ right before it was released.

I saw somewhere that people are thinking Mark Hamill won't be in it because he's shaved off his beard. I would say, with the fan reaction to episode 8/solo, that it's more likely his scenes already got shot and the beard shaving might just be to throw people off (or maybe he doesn't have a beard as a force ghost?).

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

Everybody dies

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only rumour stuff I ever see always has Mike Zeroh as the source and I have no idea what his deal is, if he makes it all up or if it's all guesswork or he has some kind of inside line on it.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

If there are any legit early stage spoilers, you'll probably seem them on sites like MakingStarWars or StarWarsNewsNet first. Based on the last few movies, someone in production usually takes pics of production art and sends it to them. Those sites usually then provide their own descriptions of what they see.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I've heard about IX is that Greg Grunberg might be in it again which, if true, I suppose would tend to confirm that the Resistance in the Millennium Falcon at the end of TLJ wasn't the entire Resistance.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I've heard about IX is that Greg Grunberg might be in it again which, if true, I suppose would tend to confirm that the Resistance in the Millennium Falcon at the end of TLJ wasn't the entire Resistance.

Wasn’t he killed in the opening of TLJ?

e: looks like he wasn’t in it so maybe I’m remembering another fat fighter pilot getting blown up

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Wheat Loaf posted:

he got everything right beyond what rian johnson himself claimed was changed later in production

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

He’s going to be in it because Abrams is directing again

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

spacetoaster posted:

I saw somewhere that people are thinking Mark Hamill won't be in it because he's shaved off his beard.

Do these people know how facial hair works?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Do these people know how facial hair works?

I think the idea is that, if they're about to start filming, and he's going to be in it with a beard, it would be a bad time to shave. His beard was pretty bushy and, as an owner of a bushy beard myself, I can say they don't grown in overnight. Sure, maybe he's not needed until the end of the shoot and he figures he'll have time to grow it back by then. But he seemed to keep it long while JJ was writing the script, and shortly after JJ finished it, Hamill shaved. Seems likely he won't be needing a beard for Episode IX, one way or another.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Presuming he's in it at all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Presuming he's in it at all.

Right, that's one of the ways he wouldn't need the beard.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It should be fairly simple to reup the Rogue Tarkin technology to put Mark's VIII face over Mark's IX face. But the issue that ghost Hayden raises is whether to do his hermit face, his projection face, or a younger one. Poor guy might have to close out his character in that ol white karate gi

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's the new Leia dummies

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
This thread always has the worst ideas. I'm so glad none of you are involved in film making.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BarronsArtGallery posted:

This thread always has the worst ideas. I'm so glad none of you are involved in film making.

Clearly SA should pool its resources and make its own Special Edition film, like the Knights of Renesmee (AotC and RotS)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Per Dark_Tzitzimine in the Greenlighting thread:

quote:

Star Wars: Episode IX will begin filming at London’s Pinewood Studios on August 1, 2018. J.J. Abrams returns to direct the final installment of the Skywalker saga. Abrams co-wrote the screenplay with Chris Terrio.

Returning cast members include Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Kelly Marie Tran, Joonas Suotamo, and Billie Lourd. Joining the cast of Episode IX are Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant, who will be joined by veteran Star Wars actors Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, and Billy Dee Williams, who will reprise his role as Lando Calrissian.

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

Composer John Williams, who has scored every chapter in the Star Wars saga since 1977’s A New Hope, will return to a galaxy far, far away with Episode IX. Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Michelle Rejwan, and executive produced by Callum Greene and Jason McGatlin. The crew includes Dan Mindel (Director of Photography), Rick Carter and Kevin Jenkins (Co-Production Designers), Michael Kaplan (Costume Designer), Neal Scanlan (Creature and Droid FX), Maryann Brandon and Stefan Grube (Editors), Roger Guyett (VFX Supervisor), Tommy Gormley (1st AD), and Victoria Mahoney (2nd Unit Director).

https://www.newsarama.com/41142-star-wars-episode-ix-cast-announced-including-carrie-fisher.html

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

:stare:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
just start the movie with a time skipped leia funeral this isn't difficult

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Spoiler: They're definitely going to use CGI to fill in the blanks on this poo poo lmao

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-revealed-1130442

quote:

Director J.J. Abrams will use unreleased footage from 2015's Star Wars: The Force Awakens to put Fisher's Leia into Episode IX.

"We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” Abrams said in a statement. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie [Lourd], we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”

Fisher died in December 2016, after completing work on last year's Star Wars: The Last Jedi. In January 2017, Lucasfilm issued a statement assuring fans that there were no plans for a digital re-creation of Leia, after reviving late actor Peter Cushing's Grand Moff Tarkin for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. In April 2017, Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy said Fisher would not appear in Episode IX.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm interested to see what they'll do with Richard E. Grant. He'd look right at home in an Imperial First Order uniform, but who knows?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

thrawn527 posted:

I think the idea is that, if they're about to start filming, and he's going to be in it with a beard, it would be a bad time to shave. His beard was pretty bushy and, as an owner of a bushy beard myself, I can say they don't grown in overnight.

That comes down to genetics though, some people can grow a beard like Hamil's in no time though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's gross. Just move on.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Dark Weasel posted:

Spoiler: They're definitely going to use CGI to fill in the blanks on this poo poo lmao

One thing to consider is, that Leia may already have passed by the time 9 starts. We could just see her in flashbacks. We know of at least one scene shown in the TFA trailer which wasn't in the movie. It was Max handing the lightsaber to Leia. I could see them finally using that scene in conjunction with Lando to explain how the lightsaber made it from Cloud City, to Maz and then to Rey.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
So they're going full Plan Nine now?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
JJ should read this thread to make sure he's making none of these mistakes

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope it’s so bad people go back and realize how great TLJ is

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

I hope it’s so bad people go back and realize how great TLJ is

Most folks who aren't children already do realize it's good / great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yeah