Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If they released an updated version of Zelda 1 that kept the map and mechanics but changed combat to not suck rear end it'd just like three tiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Faces of Evil
Link's Crossbow Training
Smash Bros.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

Oracle of Ages
Breath of the Wild
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time
Link Between Worlds
Wind Waker
Oracle of Seasons
Link's Awakening
Twilight Princess
Link to the Past
Spirit Tracks
Minish Cap
Skyward Sword
Legend of Zelda
Phantom Hourglass

imo

(I haven't played a few of them so they're omitted)

hell, this is a list i can respect

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Phantom Hourglass turned Tetra into a statue and then when you bring together all the McGuffins that are supposed to bring her back they don't work and the game goes "oh no! It didn't work! I guess you need to beat the final boss for no reason!"

That game can kiss my rear end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pigbuster posted:

Phantom Hourglass turned Tetra into a statue and then when you bring together all the McGuffins that are supposed to bring her back they don't work and the game goes "oh no! It didn't work! I guess you need to beat the final boss for no reason!"

That game can kiss my rear end.

tetra returning as an actual character only to get locked up fo rliterally the entire game loving sucks

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's been a long time since I've seen the garbage "princess frozen into stone/crystal" trope and good riddance.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The petrifaction story beat ruled in Dragon Quest 5

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One thing disheartening about deciding to start collecting old games is that GameCube had relatively fewer fans, and they tended to be more dedicated, so it’s way harder to find used GameCube games for cheap

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

god yeah, majora is easily my favorite zelda game.

it's so incredibly good

it was mine until BOTW but i may actually like BOTW more.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really like phantom hourglass, but all i remeber from it is the dungeon return/expansion structure which i thought was really cool.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hate that they won't use tetra, the breakaway star of wind waker who uh...... sees link in the bomb shop i guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I really like dungeons and dungeon items, so for me LTTP has the most of what I love in a Zelda. That's why it's my favorite! I know some people don't like it so much, though...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

oddium posted:

hate that they won't use tetra, the breakaway star of wind waker who uh...... sees link in the bomb shop i guess.

i mean. tetra is one of the most strongly defined characters in the game, until she vanishes forever because they can't let zelda do anything in a zelda game

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tetra's design is just really strong so having her become standard Zelda is real weak.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

They should just have called it the Legend of Link, amirite

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The Colonel posted:

i mean. tetra is one of the most strongly defined characters in the game, until she vanishes forever because they can't let zelda do anything in a zelda game

i haven't played it in a long time so you're gonna have to define her for me

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

In Training posted:

BotW is amazing for sure, both stand so strongly from they rest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i haven't played it in a long time so you're gonna have to define her for me

She's a pirate

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

link's awakening is good because while almost every game after it other than majora is entirely concerned with or, at the very least, dragged down by a weird obligation to dump tons of lore and stick to boring franchise traditions that limit what the staff can do narratively with zelda, link's awakening is like someone at the company just made a zelda fangame and it shows in the final product just being like, a weird interpersonal character-driven story with some really creative dungeon design instead of The Fifth Story Where We Establish Zelda As Being A Character But She Gets Kidnapped Anyway

i like the dungeon designs a lot more than lttp too so it gets points for that
I've long maintained that if it weren't for some weird design decisions (those awful messages you get when you brush up against rocks/pots) and technical limitations (mostly with button assignments for items/weapons), Link's Awakening would top-to-bottom be the best Zelda by a longshot. I love it to bits.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

She’s taller than link which was cool

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
You've Got A Guardian Acorn

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/chinesenintendo/status/1017984694846017536?s=19

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hyrule Warriors Zelda is the best Zelda.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Just thought about how Majora thoroughly shows you how you get the Goron and Zora transformation but holds the Deku one until literally the end of the game and gives you one last punch of misery.

that game's writing is masterful

al-azad
May 28, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I really like dungeons and dungeon items, so for me LTTP has the most of what I love in a Zelda. That's why it's my favorite! I know some people don't like it so much, though...

Those people are wrong.

A Link Between Worlds is also acceptable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Expect My Mom posted:

Just thought about how Majora thoroughly shows you how you get the Goron and Zora transformation but holds the Deku one until literally the end of the game and gives you one last punch of misery.

that game's writing is masterful

majora's mask's dev process really shows in, pretty much every aspect of the game, in a really cool way that no other zelda really hits

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think the process was “we have 9 months, lead the player on the longest strings you can muster.”

I really hated playing Majora but I’ll admit that game economizes a handful of assets really well. Except for the trading mini-dungeon, that was an intern running out of ideas.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

In Training posted:

This is correct.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

cheetah7071 posted:

Oracle of Ages
Breath of the Wild
Majora's Mask
Ocarina of Time
Link Between Worlds
Wind Waker
Oracle of Seasons
Link's Awakening
Twilight Princess
Link to the Past
Spirit Tracks
Minish Cap
Skyward Sword
Legend of Zelda
Phantom Hourglass

imo

(I haven't played a few of them so they're omitted)

This is a pretty good list. I'd move Minish Cap and LttP up, but eh.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Majora's Mask is interesting because they invested all of their resources into building a living world full of characters that do things and have lives of their own with careers, relationships, and hopes and dreams. No Zelda comes close to providing that kind of experience.

That of course means they ran out of resources to make good dungeons with because they are poo poo. Fight me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

Can't believe this game has has a completely non-sensationalized, horrifying and alienating depiction of sexual abuse. *comically raising my voice 3 registers* Yuck!

In Training posted:

What's weird about it?

C'mon man :\ please don't be obtuse about something as serious as sexual assault

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
majora's mask is maybe the only 3d zelda with dungeons i like from a design standpoint lol

ww and oot i enjoy mostly because their dungeons just, aren't really an obstacle to enjoying the core gameplay rather than just being boring in general

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I bought a Gamecube back in the day for Animal Crossing, everything else was a bonus

I'll revisit my town someday,

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

majora's mask is maybe the only 3d zelda with dungeons i like from a design standpoint lol

ww and oot i enjoy mostly because their dungeons just, aren't really an obstacle to enjoying the core gameplay rather than just being boring in general

I hope you mean "from design standpoint" you're talking about aesthetics. Because ancient machinery and upside down dungeon are cool ideas, but navigating the ice place as a goron is a nightmare and the stone temple is an exercise in using the game's painfully slow UI.

It's crazy it took until the rerelease of Wind Waker that someone thought "hmm, maybe we don't need to play the song animation every time."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am ready for the Linkle game set in Termina.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hope at some point Zelda games go back to showing everyone celebrating and such over the end credits (LttP, OoT and MM.) The screensaver quality credits in Wind Waker suck.

I also hope it becomes a regular thing in Pokemon after Sun/Moon included it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All games should end with a parade over the credits.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

All games should end with a parade over the credits.

Mario RPG did this the best imo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The more I think about it the more I think Breath of the Wild is basically just Spider-Man 2: The Movie: The Game for a new generation except not as good.

Like the general world traversal is the best part of both games (Climbing/gliding and web-swinging), and the rest of them are mostly just okay. Spider-Man 2 is a funnier game though so I think it edges out the win here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Breath of the Wild is the worst Assassin's Creed in ages

• Locked thread