Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Folt The Bolt posted:

Scrutinize/Inquire is my favorite Path Action entirely because the information you get is pretty awesome (and also the bonuses to other path actions and hidden items)

NGL even though I don't have him in my party right now I'm currently trying really hard to figure out how to get Alfyn back in just for this.

I think I will probably have to drop H'aanit since I like Olberic just a tich more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally got to resume playing this game after beating Live a Live. I was playing that game again since people compared it to Octopath, and I had a two old save that I never bother to complete. Finally beat that this afternoon and finally got to play this game again after only briefly playing it yesterday upon transferring my demo save and starting Olberic quest. Man the boss of his first chapter was tough with three people, like the two thugs with him have a poo poo load of HP, which I was mostly attacking them while waiting on Gaston to do his charge attack so I can stun lock him out of it.

Now I am trying to get Ophilia, I just wish the drat frogs on the way there had a weakness, as they are just a pain to kill.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

NGL even though I don't have him in my party right now I'm currently trying really hard to figure out how to get Alfyn back in just for this.

I think I will probably have to drop H'aanit since I like Olberic just a tich more.

The path actions are great and the way they diversified the skills and actions means I'm always pondering who to keep or switch out when I hit up a new area. And I only have six out of eight people so far.

Since there doesn't seem to be a proper main quest so far, and may never be, that means I am allowed to do whatever I feel like doing. If I'm not feeling like one character's story is in an interesting place at the moment, I can just pop on over and do someone else's instead. Primrose's story is the most compelling so far.

Edit: vvv Yep. Funnily enough I don't mind that there's not a big bad. There doesn't have to be for there to be a good story being told.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 15, 2018

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I don't mind the lack of a big overarching story, then again I love stuff like Saga Frontier where it just a bunch of random stories. This game doesn't need everyone big villain be named Odio like Live a Live random stories.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Kobogartimer posted:

I have a broken brain so I always have to have a steal man in games like this, and if a game allows for it I always have to go for a self-sustaining mana battery strategy ASAP. Therion is my golden jrpg messiah.

Yeah, I just grabbed Steal SP with him, and it surprised me how much harder it hits than his normal dagger attack, and he gets to swing twice with it to boot. I'll definitely be getting Share SP next to help fuel Ophilia who I just picked up and Cyrus who's next in line.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I did a rather easy quest and got a accessory with +50 str on it. Gave it to my good ol Olberic and then he just naturally got a passive to give him +50 more so now everyone hits in moderation while he clears entire fights with level slash. Especially if he abides or Primrose buffs him.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 15, 2018

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I stole a Golden Axe from an old man, just to see if I liked the idea of savescumming for rare steals (I don't, and I probably won't do it again). This thing has about five times as much attack power as any weapon I've seen for sale, it's fantastic.

Now I have to decide whether to recruit Ophilia or Primrose next.

I love how everybody keeps saying similar things, but they're always different similar things.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Folt The Bolt posted:

lmao there's a sidequest with a multiple ways to solve it in Tressa's hometown concerning a woman and a man, the man being a spineless walk-over and the woman rejecting him for that reason. If you bring the man's mother over to the scene, the mother whips him good (metaphorically, not literally) and ruins every chance he has with the woman of his dreams but if you Challenge/Provoke him, then lose (which can happen because the man is actually contrary to everyone's belief a rather decent fighter) or flee the fight, the woman recognizes that the man is stronger than her initial impression of him was and they get married. Game is great in the freedom you have in resolving all these things! :allears:

After this I went and guided him with Ophilia and all he could do was stutter and obey.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

voltcatfish posted:

How easy is it to break the game?

I just completed all the first chapters and subclass acquisitions so I'm not even far in the game but my Olberic is already hilariously broken. I have him as a Warrior/Apothecary right now with counter, double attack, regain SP on attacks, and a regen accessory. He just shits out damage and never dies or runs out of SP.

I'm doing his chapter 2 right now as the first one and he's just clowning everyone in duels.

Also Tressa can cast the double aoe scholar spells for 26 turns straight before running out of SP

acumen fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 15, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rirse posted:

Now I am trying to get Ophilia, I just wish the drat frogs on the way there had a weakness, as they are just a pain to kill.

Yeah, the area around her town and the monsters in the dungeon drove me absolutely nuts, there just didn't seem to be any way to kill them efficiently. It didn't help that I was swapping in Ophilia to replace one of my highest level characters, but ugh. I wrecked the boss in like 3 turns though, and I'm not even doing anything fancy with the combat system, just getting Therion's defense debuff on him, Breaking him early on the third turn and blowing all my boosts on him. It looks like it goes a lot deeper too!

I think I've settled on team Therion, Cyrus, Ophilia, and H'aanit -- now that I've got them all together I feel like I've got great AOE and a lot of elemental coverage -- but I really wanted to like Tressa and Primrose more, mechanics-wise. :( From the sounds of it, I may have to redo the whole party once subjobs open up.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My boss fights so far is basically just breaking them once, alpha striking with H'aanit's strongest beast (which is a fuckton of damage), having Tressa give all of her BP to H'aanit and then doing the same attack again if it survived the first.

All of the bosses have died to that so far.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 15, 2018

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Having not gotten to secondary jobs, but also being an obsessive planner I need to ask some questions.

Does applying a secondary job change your stats?

When you leave a secondary job, is the only thing you keep your known support skills?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

Having not gotten to secondary jobs, but also being an obsessive planner I need to ask some questions.

Does applying a secondary job change your stats?

When you leave a secondary job, is the only thing you keep your known support skills?

Subclasses give smallish stat bonuses. Like the Scholar gives 10% elemental attack, 5% elemental defense and 13% sp.

Support skills are the only thing you keep.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Andrast posted:

Support skills are the only thing you keep.

Also the friends and memories you've made along the way.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

What's an easy subclass to unlock? My highest character is level 28, I just got all the characters.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

What's an easy subclass to unlock? My highest character is level 28, I just got all the characters.

Pretty much any of them.

They are pretty much all at the start of the 'second ring' of zones. Basically, if you go out from the center of the map in any direction you'll end up in this second ring, and the eight sub-classes are in this second ring of zones. When you get there you'll notice a temple looking thing on the radar. Go there and the item that unlocks them is right at the end, completely unguarded. There aren't even random encounters in the shrines

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
If this is anything like the Bravely games, which it seems to be and it's by the same people, then they give you the toolkit to "break" the game quite early, let you play around with it, and then take the kid gloves off and expect you to have broken it for lategame and endgame stuff.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Can other characters open purple chests eventually or do you need always need Therion in your party for them?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Flavahbeast posted:

Can other characters open purple chests eventually or do you need always need Therion in your party for them?

Purple chest opening is Therion's unique ability.

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, the area around her town and the monsters in the dungeon drove me absolutely nuts, there just didn't seem to be any way to kill them efficiently. It didn't help that I was swapping in Ophilia to replace one of my highest level characters, but ugh. I wrecked the boss in like 3 turns though, and I'm not even doing anything fancy with the combat system, just getting Therion's defense debuff on him, Breaking him early on the third turn and blowing all my boosts on him. It looks like it goes a lot deeper too!

I think I've settled on team Therion, Cyrus, Ophilia, and H'aanit -- now that I've got them all together I feel like I've got great AOE and a lot of elemental coverage -- but I really wanted to like Tressa and Primrose more, mechanics-wise. :( From the sounds of it, I may have to redo the whole party once subjobs open up.

Good news! Subjobs are open as soon as you want them to be. I got my first one at level 10 by just fleeing from combat on the way there.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Oh god..... This game.... I'm going to spend so much time exploring every nook and cranny of every loving town and space. Like.... I see all these people I can interact with. And I must interact with them all!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

These mountain cliffs have drained my will to continue for the night

Just hp sponge monsters all over the damned place and a vulture that can spawn and do 250 damage to my entire party every turn. I figure it's scaling but christ I almost feel under leveled despite being over the actual threat level

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Am I understanding it correctly that subclasses work like in Bravely (sort of) that you can freely switch between them, get all their support skills etc.?

Because I maxed out every job for every character in Bravely and I'll do it again in this game if I can :getin:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
With some of the tutorial tips that pop up in docked mode the text runs off the screen of my tv. Never happens in any other point or any other game. Anyone else finding this?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mordiceius posted:

Oh god..... This game.... I'm going to spend so much time exploring every nook and cranny of every loving town and space. Like.... I see all these people I can interact with. And I must interact with them all!

Welcome to the Trails games (by Falcom), it's awesome. Wait, what do you mean this is the Octopath thread.

I think I'll run a Prim, H, Tress and Cyrus party for a while, although I have Oph instead of T at the moment since I kinda need healing.
I have trouble deciding the subclasses though.
Hunter Tressa looks adorable but I'd rather not double up short term;
Either Prim or Cyrus go cleric, probably C though;

Sigh, decisions, decisions.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I just played this game for like 4 hours straight and if I wasn't tired and it wasn't rear end o'clock in the morning I'd keep going for another few probably.

Game is real good y'all.

I'm still quite happy with my initial choice of Therion. His Steal HP/SP skills do some impressive damage when boosted (and the SP one pays for itself more often than not).

Share SP is some goddamn shenanigans too by the way. Fully boosted it will give an ally 200% of Therion's Max SP and it will exceed their natural maximum. I had Ophelia at 130/80 SP for a boss fight and it was :krad:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I just played this game for like 4 hours straight and if I wasn't tired and it wasn't rear end o'clock in the morning I'd keep going for another few probably.

Game is real good y'all.

I'm still quite happy with my initial choice of Therion. His Steal HP/SP skills do some impressive damage when boosted (and the SP one pays for itself more often than not).

Share SP is some goddamn shenanigans too by the way. Fully boosted it will give an ally 200% of Therion's Max SP and it will exceed their natural maximum. I had Ophelia at 130/80 SP for a boss fight and it was :krad:

I'm running Tressa as a Merchant/Thief and using her as a BP/SP battery. It's great.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh yeah another question, the nuts are permanent upgrades right? how the heck am I supposed to decide on who to give these to

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

teacup posted:

With some of the tutorial tips that pop up in docked mode the text runs off the screen of my tv. Never happens in any other point or any other game. Anyone else finding this?

Honestly this sounds like you have your tv not set up properly; this is how mine was out of the box. Go into the display settings of your tv and change the display size and see if that fixes it for you? (On my TV I have to set it to "direct" instead of "normal")

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

I just fought some guy wearing sunglasses in a chair. Primrose got a new robe sprite and access to 3-hit spells for every element.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cULTUBrRnEk

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So apparently the end game dungeon that ties everything together is :siren: big spoiler. do not click if you want to avoid being spoiled :siren: The Ruins of Hornburg.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

So apparently the end game dungeon that ties everything together is :siren: big spoiler. do not click if you want to avoid being spoiled :siren: The Ruins of Hornburg.

Why do I always click spoilers before I read the siren'd warning.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hope we can keep spoilers away from this thread (or at least in spoiler tags)!

I've got more questions: what's the deal with turn order? H'aanit was always going first so I re-arranged my gear and stuff so everyone else had more speed than her (and Tressa has way more speed) and she's still going first most of the time. Is it just kind of... random?

e: also I finally got all the characters, played Primrose's story last. I uh... still don't like that part. It's just incredibly icky in every way.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jul 15, 2018

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Your Computer posted:

Is it just kind of... random?

This. Although broken enemies get a boost to action speed on the turn they recover; it's not full priority as I had someone still outspeed a recovering enemy every now and then.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
These purple chests are absolutely killing me. Why would they do this? Does someone on the dev team have a thing for Therion and wanted to make sure he's included in every party? It feels like I'm being punished for not bringing Therion along and that's pretty dumb in a game where you can only choose 4 out of 8 characters. :suicide:

In terms of utility the characters feel incredibly skewed and it's really bizarre that the sub-job system doesn't fix this when it would've been perfect for it. Some characters have great passive benefits while others just straight up have nothing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I just ignore the purple chests. I see them and think to myself, “I can live without their contents.”

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If this is anything like the Bravely games, which it seems to be and it's by the same people, then they give you the toolkit to "break" the game quite early, let you play around with it, and then take the kid gloves off and expect you to have broken it for lategame and endgame stuff.

Yeah I'm up to about level 33 average (35 main) and can confirm this is exactly what happens. poo poo's getting tricky again. Status effects are a big concern for me now.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

I just ignore the purple chests. I see them and think to myself, “I can live without their contents.”
you're a better person than me :negative:

I finally went and got all the secondary jobs and I wish I had done so earlier. Getting all the 8 characters before unlocking secondary jobs was probably not the best idea, especially with the party I had. I just beelined for all of them (knowing that they were early in the chapter 2 maps) and oh boy this opens up a lot of opportunities and more importantly... costumes.

I really want to subclass Tressa as a Hunter because her costume is adorable, but I already have H'aanit on my team and she can already use a bow so I don't really gain anything. Why does this have to be so hard!? I'll probably spend the next hours trying to figure out a party that doesn't overlap too much in weapons, elements, path actions and abilities.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Got Scholar as my first subjob and put it on Ophilia.

Cyrus: Who are you?
Ophelia: I'm you, but stronger.

I was going to do Primrose's story first due to level, but could not for the life of me find the path to Stillsnow in either direction from Flamegrace, so I went across the world to do Ch. 2 in the order I got the characters in.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Your Computer posted:

I hope we can keep spoilers away from this thread (or at least in spoiler tags)!

I've got more questions: what's the deal with turn order? H'aanit was always going first so I re-arranged my gear and stuff so everyone else had more speed than her (and Tressa has way more speed) and she's still going first most of the time. Is it just kind of... random?

e: also I finally got all the characters, played Primrose's story last. I uh... still don't like that part. It's just incredibly icky in every way.

Judging from Chapter 2, it's not going to get any lighter. Her story is about the darkness of humans after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fights so long and why is the book nerd so huge and he's friends with sentient bubbles ???