Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Narrator: "It wasn't"

There's no way they don't bring him back at this point, everyone else is alive again.

Edit: wait, how is his visor glowing if it's not on his face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

There's no way they don't bring him back at this point, everyone else is alive again.

I know. But it wasn't a mistake. He needed to die and Young Scott is a million times the character that OG Scott has been in the the last 30 or so years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I know. But it wasn't a mistake. He needed to die and Young Scott is a million times the character that OG Scott has been in the the last 30 or so years.

Oh that part. I disagree, he was terrible up to G-Mo, Whedon ran with that but after that yuck. And they doubled down on it with Bendis.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I don't think I've ever disagreed with anything more. I liked Scott a lot up to Morrison, but I loved everything they did with the character more after that. His post M-Day leading the survivors is great great stuff. Bendis doesn't really do much with him, but he also doesn't actively harm the character, so.

I was so disappointed when he died, even though the death itself was well done, because it felt like a book ending halfway through a chapter.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Prediction: “set it right” involves sending the young X-Men squad back to the past, which resets X-continuity such that everyone is back to classic, boring versions of themselves, because Bendis is gone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'll miss Young Scott. He had chemistry with Ms. Marvel in Champions, but that would probably never happen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe it means cyclops with have one eye like leela from futurama now

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

Edit: wait, how is his visor glowing if it's not on his face?
I already posted my theory on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/kennybloggins/status/1017891076303196161

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

Narrator: "It wasn't"

Second narrator: "It really was"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

I'm gonna fight you

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Second narrator: "It really was"

Nah, he needed a bit in the time out room to let the douche chills pass. And Young Scott was, absolutely, a better character than he was right around the time he died.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
People cannot seriously be saying that the better version of a character is "time-displaced teenager that ignores 50 years of story" can they?

Murder the time-displaced X-men and feed their spirits into my nefarious soul-engine so that original Scott can come back and knock some sense into you. I want the Scott who did nothing wrong, not the Scott who did nothing wrong.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nilbop posted:

People cannot seriously be saying that the better version of a character is "time-displaced teenager that ignores 50 years of story" can they?

Murder the time-displaced X-men and feed their spirits into my nefarious soul-engine so that original Scott can come back and knock some sense into you. I want the Scott who did nothing wrong, not the Scott who did nothing wrong.

time-displaced teenager Scott never left his wife and child in Alaska without a moments hesitation

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Time-displaced teenager Scott never did anything interesting. Time-displaced teenager Scott never did anything.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Nilbop posted:

Time-displaced teenager Scott never did anything interesting. Time-displaced teenager Scott never did anything.

That's an improvement because most of the things Cyclops has ever done have been terrible and stupid.

e: Like I don't know how people can call him the boyscout, he's one of the bigger assholes in the entire X-Men. And that's a long loving list.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 15, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There's nothing to "put right." His arc was great, the whole overarching thing was good. He actually got a character and did what he could for mutant kind and it wasn't a complete rehash of Xavier-Magneto ... okay maybe the Wolverine - Cyclops split.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Why can't Cyclops be an ideal student learning at the foot of the paragon of virtue and wisdom and make only the choices that are easily marketable, or small, meaningless and equally marketable mistakes?

Because that was his character 55 years ago and if you never allow that to develop or change then what's even the point of having it?

I know everytime a character does something I disagree with I write to the author to reset it back to the factory settings so that nothing ever changes and nothing interesting ever comes from anything.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Why can't Cyclops be an ideal student learning at the foot of the paragon of virtue and wisdom and make only the choices that are easily marketable, or small, meaningless and equally marketable mistakes?

It's more that Cyclops is a moron whose personal life is like a war crime and he's basically never done anything productive, so there's really no loss in killing him. At least the young one is nominally before he turned into a total jackhole, and knows he grows up to be a jackhole, so that at least gives him the chance to make interesting choices. Cyclops is a poisoned well of expectations.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
He was kind of already a fascist in the making in those early issues of X-men.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there's a difference between liking a character warts and all and thinking that the many huge, disgusting, disfiguring warts are so essential that they are the entirety of what defines the character, and giving them a fresh chance at developing new, potentially more interesting and less deal-breaking warts is sacrilege.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cyclops was fine before AvX because that whole event was garbage and he never really recovered from it. He only got worse the more Bendis wrote him.

He was his most interesting when Morrison and Whedon wrote him. Also Gillen did a decent job with him as well.

His last really good chance of being awesome again was when he once again got the Phoenix powers but he was written by Hickman so it was badass even though no one had any clue how it loving happened. And of course getting ganked by God-Doom, our Lord and savior long may he reign.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 15, 2018

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

You have to take AvX out of the canon when discussing things because it's so monumentally stupid that nothing made even remote sense.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nilbop posted:

I know everytime a character does something I disagree with I write to the author to reset it back to the factory settings so that nothing ever changes and nothing interesting ever comes from anything.

there's a limit to everything, and in this case that limit is secret war

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mulva posted:

Nah, he needed a bit in the time out room to let the douche chills pass. And Young Scott was, absolutely, a better character than he was right around the time he died.

I'll agree he needed a bit of a time-out, but you can accomplish that by having him just wander off-panel into the woods for a couple of years instead of "he died off-panel and everyone thinks he's Literally Hitler except it turns out he died preventing the needless deaths of basically all of mutantkind but we're still supposed to think he's a douche, shh."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mulva posted:

It's more that Cyclops is a moron whose personal life is like a war crime and he's basically never done anything productive, so there's really no loss in killing him. At least the young one is nominally before he turned into a total jackhole, and knows he grows up to be a jackhole, so that at least gives him the chance to make interesting choices. Cyclops is a poisoned well of expectations.

Yeah. Remember how Cyclops cheating on his wife led to a demonic invasion of New York? That's hard to walk past.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Never been a huge fan of Cyke, but frankly I'd be just fine if every casualty and other thing about the whole Inhuman v. X-Men debacle was rolled back so we can put that terribly stupid period of time behind us.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. Remember how Cyclops cheating on his wife led to a demonic invasion of New York? That's hard to walk past.

If you wanna go that way with it, then that was actually Mr. Sinister manipulating everything that way, which makes Scott a tragic victim.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

If you wanna go that way with it, then that was actually Mr. Sinister manipulating everything that way, which makes Scott a tragic victim.

Nah. Dude left his wife.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

I think he meant New X-Men? I dunno.

Also the only canon AvX deserves is the one where all of it's media is stuffed into an actual cannon and fired off into the sun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jiro posted:

Cyclops was fine before AvX because that whole event was garbage and he never really recovered from it. He only got worse the more Bendis wrote him.

He was his most interesting when Morrison and Whedon wrote him. Also Gillen did a decent job with him as well.

His last really good chance of being awesome again was when he once again got the Phoenix powers but he was written by Hickman so it was badass even though no one had any clue how it loving happened. And of course getting ganked by God-Doom, our Lord and savior long may he reign.

If Hickman ever comes back to Marvel I really want him on Uncanny X-Men.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

If Hickman ever comes back to Marvel I really want him on Uncanny X-Men.

Didn’t he once say he had no interest in X-Men? I hope so. I love him but that seems like a bad fit to me.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Nah. Dude left his wife.

And infant child!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

Didn’t he once say he had no interest in X-Men? I hope so. I love him but that seems like a bad fit to me.

He had a good grasp on how Beast was actually the complete worst ever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Skwirl posted:

He had a good grasp on how Beast was actually the complete worst ever.

Why does everyone hate Hank?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Covok posted:

Why does everyone hate Hank?

Because he's a horrible person.

Unless he's paired with Wonder Man, in which case they become the best.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If Jonathan Hickman comes back to Marvel I want him on Spider-man with Chip. But making his own books/universe is better too.

I don't want him on DC because Bendis will gently caress with his poo poo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yes god forbid there be any hickman/bendis interaction because the last time was just so terrible

like I'm not a bendis fan at all but c'mon

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Didn’t he once say he had no interest in X-Men?

I think he just continually rags on them on Twitter cause it makes people mad.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hickman loves the New Mutants. If he doesn't want to write the X-Men it's probably because of what an editorial clusterfuck they always seem to be. They'd have to give him the Morrison/Whedon treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think he just continually rags on them on Twitter cause it makes people mad.

The Gail Simone approach.