Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Welcome to my channel, internetonauts. Today I'm going to pulverize my dick and balls with this meat tenderizer. *Absolutely flattens my dick and balls* Now that that's wrapped up, I've been meaning to discuss the abuse that I suffered at a very young age at the hands of a family member

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Brits in 1940: Well the bombs keep coming down every night but stiff upper lip, let's go clean up the bodies and rubble from last night's bombs and get ready for tonight's!

Americans in 2018: I AM JUST SO EXHAUSTED FROM MAKING THESE VIDEOS I DON'T UNDERSTAND MY LIFE >cries<

I know exactly one "Youtuber," the LA Beast, who I learned about when someone told me a man was drinking bottles of pancake syrup. All the ones my nephew watches seem to be about the most worthless stupid poo poo I've ever seen, all featuring some loud weakling who's never been in a confrontation in their life acting like a bad-rear end gangsta and saying "douche" a lot.

Swap jobs with a roofer, see how unbearable your life is then.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Terrific Accident posted:

Welcome to my channel, internetonauts. Today I'm going to pulverize my dick and balls with this meat tenderizer. *Absolutely flattens my dick and balls* Now that that's wrapped up, I've been meaning to discuss the abuse that I suffered at a very young age at the hands of a family member

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hope this guy is some kind of savant with no drive to actually entertain himself because that seems like actual torture

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
*Some dork sits down, counts to 100.000*

12 million views

Definitely makes sense, this youtube thing

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
WatchMojo claims they put out a new top ten list every day. I wonder how many people are involved in making those drat lists every day. You've got to come up with a ton of lists (and they've got to be running out ideas for lists at this point), write the copy, gather all the videos and edit them, etc. I don't know how they're making any money on that.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Zzulu posted:

12 million views

Those are clicks, not views. And the funny thing is, he probably gets almost nothing in add revenue from these vids, as the monetization is based on view-time percentage. Anything that is longer than 10 minutes on youtube is worth nothing.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Chemtrail posted:

Those are clicks, not views. And the funny thing is, he probably gets almost nothing in add revenue from these vids, as the monetization is based on view-time percentage. Anything that is longer than 10 minutes on youtube is worth nothing.

That's why most LPs hit the 20, 30 minute mark every part, right?

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

That and also why record a new vid every day, if you can milk one recording for a week.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
We should all make comics like the stick figure comic cooking guy. He's racking in that sweet patreon cash

https://www.patreon.com/cookingcomically

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zzulu posted:

12 million views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9GU4P-1AWI

The fact that that video has over 4,000,000 views basically tells you everything you need to know about YouTube.

It's a farting deer.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The deer farting is a million times better content than any youtube celebrity has ever put out.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

big nipples big life posted:

The deer farting is a million times better content than any youtube celebrity has ever put out.

Look at this chump who doesn't know the real money and content is from Play Doh Shrek Rotten Root Canal Playset with Dentist Dr Drill N Fill Play Dough Review

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

What still blows my mind is how YouTube stars go on 'tour' and sell out venues for $100 a ticket to go on stage and just dick around

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9GU4P-1AWI

The fact that that video has over 4,000,000 views basically tells you everything you need to know about YouTube.

It's a farting deer.

This is undoubtedly the best YouTube video I have ever seen

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

A guy I went to uni with is always posting on Facebook that he’s working on new videos where he like ranks movies in a series or whatever that he promises to release that night and then later on that evening he’ll be back on pleading for forgiveness from his “fans” because he just wasn’t able to get the video produced in time. I always feel a bit bad for him because he only has like 6 subscribers anyway and his videos normally get about 20 views and that’s it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Chrs Gry posted:

A guy I went to uni with is always posting on Facebook that he’s working on new videos where he like ranks movies in a series or whatever that he promises to release that night and then later on that evening he’ll be back on pleading for forgiveness from his “fans” because he just wasn’t able to get the video produced in time. I always feel a bit bad for him because he only has like 6 subscribers anyway and his videos normally get about 20 views and that’s it.

This guy looks at logan paul and pewdiepie and is inspired to be that person which means they have earned your pity but if you give them charity you are aiding and abetting the transformation of a person into a were-brand, part man, part corporate brand.

I'd tell you to kill him but if you fail and only wound him the media will make him more powerful than before while simultaneously draining you of your life energy

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Motherfucker posted:

I'd tell you to kill him but if you fail and only wound him the media will make him more powerful than before while simultaneously draining you of your life energy

Scream 4 was right.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

I think on a surface level everyone wants to be that Pewdiepie figure where they have a huge following and make millions from farting into pillows but once you go deeper and realize that a career in YouTube means you are essentially a public figure for life and have to service that platform in order to sustain yourself, it seems like a living hell.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Bath Tubs posted:

I think on a surface level everyone wants to be that Pewdiepie figure where they have a huge following and make millions from farting into pillows but once you go deeper and realize that a career in YouTube means you are essentially a public figure for life and have to service that platform in order to sustain yourself, it seems like a living hell.

no I'm pretty sure everyone knew that was the devils bargain, its pretty loving obvious.

people want pewdiepie money as an idle fantasy but getting rich and getting rich in that way requires a certain switch in your brain that turns off blood-flow to your critical thinking and self reflection lobes. Despite my inherent cynicism I think people are generally I wouldn't say good intrinsically but anyone who thinks "I want to debase myself and become a corporate mascot for coin" is not a complete person. Even pewdiepie no longer wants to be pewdiepie.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
99% of these people don't want to make videos, they want to have made videos. It's the same with any creative endeavor. The ones who are good and who last just start doing it because they enjoy it and if they make it big, that's an extra bonus

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hang on I can make money on youtube with all these rami malek music videos I made?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQo3Zv66mc&t=8s
Oh yea, youtube is were its at.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

yea and that's why vlogs and how-to videos that should take 10-30 seconds are always padded with massive amounts of filler

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

i miss the days when everything on youtube was bizarre poo poo, dumb jokes, and 5 second blooper videos

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

feelix posted:

99% of these people don't want to make videos, they want to have made videos. It's the same with any creative endeavor. The ones who are good and who last just start doing it because they enjoy it and if they make it big, that's an extra bonus

Eh, I think some of it is like people that dream of being rock stars but then find out there is a bunch of poo poo under the glamor. Though in this case they seen to be realizing that entertainment of any type is primaily boring drudgery. I get the feeling that they're suddenly finding that making a good video involves a lot of actual work while the internet is a hungry void always demanding more.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh, I think some of it is like people that dream of being rock stars but then find out there is a bunch of poo poo under the glamor. Though in this case they seen to be realizing that entertainment of any type is primaily boring drudgery. I get the feeling that they're suddenly finding that making a good video involves a lot of actual work while the internet is a hungry void always demanding more.

It is exactly like people who dream of being rock stars. People who dream of being rock stars don't want to write and/or play music, they want to have written and/or played music.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

feelix posted:

It is exactly like people who dream of being rock stars. People who dream of being rock stars don't want to write and/or play music, they want to have written and/or played music.

To be honest I think they do want to write and play music but not do all the other bullshit that a rock star has to do to get there. If you're new you don't get a bus for each member you tour in a lovely van. You have to fix your own instruments, work on a shoe string budget, and not hire roadies. Sometimes all that shows up is two people and a dog. You do all your own publicity. People are chasing after the cool parts without wanting the parts that suck. Even then its still a job where you have to keep showing up even if you don't feel like it. Nothing is all glitz and glamor. Thats why I'm saying it's similar. They want the fun and cool parts but are realizing that the majority of what you have to do actually kind of sucks.

Like even if you become a huge rock star you still have to live on a bus for months at a time. Being a YouTube star means always making new fresh and good content and boring video editing.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be honest I think they do want to write and play music but not do all the other bullshit that a rock star has to do to get there. If you're new you don't get a bus for each member you tour in a lovely van. You have to fix your own instruments, work on a shoe string budget, and not hire roadies. Sometimes all that shows up is two people and a dog. You do all your own publicity. People are chasing after the cool parts without wanting the parts that suck. Even then its still a job where you have to keep showing up even if you don't feel like it. Nothing is all glitz and glamor. Thats why I'm saying it's similar. They want the fun and cool parts but are realizing that the majority of what you have to do actually kind of sucks.

Like even if you become a huge rock star you still have to live on a bus for months at a time. Being a YouTube star means always making new fresh and good content and boring video editing.

Yeah but none of that stuff matters if you just like writing and playing music. You don't care that only 3 people show up and riding in vans and fixing your own guitar is fun

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

We should all comment "my nigga have u tried lsd" on her depression video.

Drothmar
Feb 18, 2015

Bath Tubs posted:

What still blows my mind is how YouTube stars go on 'tour' and sell out venues for $100 a ticket to go on stage and just dick around

....what? I have never heard of that as a thing but holy jesus. I mean if its a podcast I understand but like, just a random fuckface talking into their camera?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Drothmar posted:

....what? I have never heard of that as a thing but holy jesus. I mean if its a podcast I understand but like, just a random fuckface talking into their camera?

It’s usually a Youtuber that has a crew and they just sing and perform skits poorly for a few hours.

Ocatamai
Jun 18, 2004

Perfect and Elegant Maid

little munchkin posted:

yea and that's why vlogs and how-to videos that should take 10-30 seconds are always padded with massive amounts of filler

Well yeah, if the video is less than 10 minutes it can only have one ad break, but if it's at least 10 minutes you can have 3-4 ads.

Now try and see how many people pad to meet that 10 minute mark.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

Drump is Drek: a sociopolitical analysis capitalistic excess via the Play Doh Shrek Rotten Root Canal Playset with Dentist Dr Drill N Fill Play Dough. Run time 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

looks like all these 30 year old boomers don't understand what a quarter life crisis is

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Youtubers are braver than the troops. Hell, they may be braver than the flag.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018
What was the exact moment that youtube headed down this path of low-effort, clickbait-y, compilations/vlogging videos? I swear there used to be a point when youtube was a direct challenge to TV and instead it became TV 2.0 with it's own set of air-headed celebrities and youtubers who sold out, and garbage content which is mostly about advertising for something.

Minorkos posted:

30 year old boomers

Really don't understand this meme.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

YagotmeIdidit posted:

What was the exact moment that youtube headed down this path of low-effort, clickbait-y, compilations/vlogging videos? I swear there used to be a point when youtube was a direct challenge to TV and instead it became TV 2.0 with it's own set of air-headed celebrities and youtubers who sold out, and garbage content which is mostly about advertising for something.

Really don't understand this meme.

monetization

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
A strange new world where a 20 year old gets burned out and quits her safe YouTube gig to take a risk and try and get a job with long-term job security and benefits.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Collapsing Farts posted:

I love watching that adult man-child-thing in suits trying on trashy foods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BalhiByCRTQ

It's so...earnest

:lol:

I like when he calls the pepperoni "deadly meat"

Sure is a change of pace from Joey's World Tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpbcj-dw-8A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3enDjTnsrQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Rhesus Pieces posted:

YouTube is actually great for car/home repair how-tos. I've probably saved hundreds of dollars learning how to do simple car repair stuff on YouTube rather than paying a mechanic to do it.

Just stay the hell away from anything aimed towards teens because that's all the brain-melting poo poo that eventually leads to outright fascist propaganda if you leave it autoplaying long enough.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You have no idea how much YouTube has helped my math education. Granted like none of the videos I've watched have had more than 20,000 views but gently caress it, I can just watch random videos on whatever thing I want to learn until it sticks.

YouTube is an amazing teaching tool. I'm really into music theory and there's about half a dozen amazing channels and a whole load more great videos on any subject. Plus whatever else, new computer part, look up how to fit it. Having a DIY problem and can't work it out, probably a video about it. These channels get hundreds or thousands rather than millions of views and no drama anywhere, and seem to be run by normal people. There is a good part of YouTube, it's just tiny and you have to look for it.

Konsek fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 15, 2018

• Locked thread