Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

What's that splotch just south of Ireland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

I like how visible the Rhine is. Cool map otherwise too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A ton of Flemings, lots of Germans too. I didn't know that.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Grape posted:

Denver isn't in the mountains, it's near them. :aaaaa:

yeah I lived there
it's a hilly fuckin town

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Phlegmish posted:

A ton of Flemings, lots of Germans too. I didn't know that.

IIRC Scots were particularly prominent in the British East India Company too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Freudian posted:

Atlantis.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Freudian posted:

we've finally found Atlantis

e: gently caress's sake

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Either a castaway or a son of Neptune.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Guys I am terrible at rivers. Most of the maps I view show rivers as an afterthought only.

What I'd really like is a world map that highlights rivers according to size. So at a glance the really huge rivers of the world like the Amazon or Congo would be one colour, the Danube or the Colorado river a different colour, and so on.

Does anyone know of anything remotely like this?

This is fun:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Lyonesse, actually.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
American cities are also gridded because for most of them, the design predates heavy urban settlement hth

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

American cities are also gridded because for most of them, the design predates heavy urban settlement hth

They just copied the Americans.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
American cities are gridded because America is a failed social engineering experiment.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JosefStalinator posted:

More like because Americans were true ancestors of Pagan Rome, and stuck to pure grids rather than degenerate Christian clusters of roads.

:agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

American cities are gridded because America is a failed social engineering experiment.

at least we ain't the baltics

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

They just copied the Americans.

Bring back human sacrifice. Orange treason baby goes first. And because I’m not sure North American indians did human sacrifice, let’s have AMLO be the master of ceremonies to make it authentic

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Since this is the pedantic map thread, Mexico is part of North America. Unless you mean Norteamericano as some Latin Americans use it to mean Canadians and Americans.

Although now I’m curious if the mound builders or any of the other major Us/Canadian pre Columbian civilizations did human sacrifice. Probably yes but probably also not as much of an industrialized slaughter that the Aztecs turned into an art form.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 16, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

If you're not Dutch, we don't care much.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I can see the borders of Poland-Lithuania and the Ottoman Empire on that map. Neat.

Somewhat related, here's a map of notable languages and alphabets printed in 1710 near Nürnberg.

Europe

Africa

Asia

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Saladman posted:

Since this is the pedantic map thread, Mexico is part of North America. Unless you mean Norteamericano as some Latin Americans use it to mean Canadians and Americans.

Although now I’m curious if the mound builders or any of the other major Us/Canadian pre Columbian civilizations did human sacrifice. Probably yes but probably also not as much of an industrialized slaughter that the Aztecs turned into an art form.

Mississippians absolutely did. There's a couple mass graves at Cahokia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

fishmech posted:

More like because Americans were true ancestors of Pagan Rome, and stuck to pure grids rather than degenerate Christian clusters of roads.

:agesilaus::agesilaus::agesilaus:
Looping Chronology: America is Troy

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

QuoProQuid posted:

I can see the borders of Poland-Lithuania and the Ottoman Empire on that map. Neat.

Somewhat related, here's a map of notable languages and alphabets printed in 1710 near Nürnberg.

Europe

Africa

Asia

Cool maps! Weird how English gets Anglo-Saxon, most of the other ones get their contemporary language I think. Noticed Greece gets both Ancient Greek and "Graeca Barbara" in Anatolia, which looks like it's Demotic.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I like Monomotapa: „We don’t know anything about their language“

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That "writing" in Japan is just gibberish, right?

Also, seems like anywhere that's steppe or wasteland in Asia was just called Scythia.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Negrostrike posted:

That "writing" in Japan is just gibberish, right?

It might be supposed to be this script. It's an Indian script that was introduced through Buddhist texts around 800 AD. It's still used by a few Buddhist sects in Japan.

The bit of text just below Japan seems to say that it's written using a "Brahmanic method".

Kassad fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 16, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Africa map is missing Tifinagh.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Peanut President posted:

at least we ain't the baltics

Elaborate?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Successive social engineers have tried to create the perfect mix of Germans and Russians yet failed every time

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
E: Probably wrong.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 16, 2018

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Every year all non-baltic countries have a party where we make fun of the baltics for being dweebs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dreddout posted:

Every year all non-baltic countries have a party where we make fun of the baltics for being dweebs

That's just Estonians though?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Estonian women have 180 cm legs until they turn 30 and then they only have 150 cm legs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Estonian men are Russians because they have The Russian Haircut which is very bad.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Nah it was a direct troll for that poster because he had a meltdown in LF about Americans considering Baltics to be "mud-people".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
which they are, btw

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ras Het posted:

Successive social engineers have tried to create the perfect mix of Germans and Russians yet failed every time

Aren't the German/Slav social experiment the Czechs?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Baronjutter posted:

Aren't the German/Slav social experiment the Czechs?

Pilsner from the germans, ice hockey from the slav side.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Retarded Goatee posted:

Pilsner from the germans, ice hockey from the slav side.

Look up what Pilsner means.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ras Het posted:

Depressive authoritarians with a fetish for scat and another for following rules to the letter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Look up what Pilsner means.

... named after Pilsner, the city in what is now Czech Republic which was once heavily populated by ethnic Germans? And the first modern Pilsner was made by a Bavarian brewer?

That seems to match exactly what Retarded Goatee was talking about, i.e. that Pilsner is from the Germans.