Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Thanks!

Also, content:

Smoked a boneless pork shoulder and 2 whole chickens. I was going to have like 10+ people over but had a bunch of cancellations. Made 20 lbs of meat for 6 people, lol.

Ketchup is for homemade bbq sauce base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Rub with whatever and smoke til 145-160 depending on whether you're leaving it whole or not. I like leaving it whole and cooking it for another hour or so. I always make chili with beans because I'm poor and it tastes better so I start that at the appropriate time. This last one I made using only chilis that I grew so it had a bunch of dried and fresh poblanos, jalaños, prairie fire chilis and cayennes. I also wouldn't recommend leaving the liquid in their to catch the drippings as it gets oversmoked and it feels like you're eating heavily spiced ash.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

bewbies posted:

does smoking a chuck roast for use in chili make any sense or am I just being silly

As others have stated, makes perfect sense. Hell we would welcome smoking a Stouffer's frozen lasagna.

Edit: Actually that is something drat tempting to try for the laughs. Do the family size ones still come in their foil pans?

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 12, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

As others have stated, makes perfect sense. Hell we would welcome smoking a Stouffer's frozen lasagna.

Edit: Actually that is something drat tempting to try for the laughs. Do the family size ones still come in their foil pans?

If not that's aldi lasagna does.
P sure their family size regular and vegetarian ones come in foil

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone do smoked carnitas? I blended up the juice of 2 limes, some Chipotle peppers in Adobe sauce, garlic, onion, salt, cumin, and chili powder. Runner the result all over a pork shoulder and put it in the fridge. The plan is to smoke it for about 9 hours, shred it, then toss it in a Dutch oven in the oven to crisp up. Anything I'm missing?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ok, I have ton's of apple and some oak.

I'll smoke the drat Stouffer's with the wood of your choice.

Hell I might have some mesquite.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Are you going low and slow or going to cook at like 300 from frozen

Once it's thawed I'd say start with the mesquite and then switch to apple for the rest of if you are just going to be light it all at the same time 25/75 mix?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I might sous vide the drat thing and do some reverse smoke.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

10 Beers posted:

Anyone do smoked carnitas? I blended up the juice of 2 limes, some Chipotle peppers in Adobe sauce, garlic, onion, salt, cumin, and chili powder. Runner the result all over a pork shoulder and put it in the fridge. The plan is to smoke it for about 9 hours, shred it, then toss it in a Dutch oven in the oven to crisp up. Anything I'm missing?

I had a conversation with a guy last night at the bar about this very topic. Added it to my list to try, it sounds dynamite. If it isn't too hot to run the oven quick, I would crisp it up on a sheet pan under the broiler maybe.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Colostomy Bag posted:

I smoked a meatloaf once and it was drat good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

QuarkMartial posted:

I smoked a meatloaf once and it was drat good.

TCC crossover episode looking good.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

TCC crossover episode looking good.

Hahaha, okay, this got me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Smoked meatloaf could be the best thing to come from a smoker.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
There’s a place in town that does it on Wednesdays and it makes a heavenly sandwich on white bread.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

Smoked meatloaf could be the best thing to come from a smoker.

Smoked turkey a'la king is the best thing to come from a smoker.

My favorite place locally does it in the winter, and it's the tits.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Hit me with methods for smoked cayenne peppers, to be dehydrated and ground into powder. They’re golden cayenne if that matters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How much rub would you make for 10 racks of ribs and two 5-pound shoulders? I’m trying to get my prep done before a large smoking endeavour next weekend.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I'm about to supplement my smoking with one of those 36" Blackstone griddles. I've fallen down a Youtube rabbithole and now I have to have one.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

How much rub would you make for 10 racks of ribs and two 5-pound shoulders? I’m trying to get my prep done before a large smoking endeavour next weekend.

I think it's a tablespoon per pound. Assuming 5 lb racks thats 50 lbs of meat. 50 tablespoons is 25 ounces, you need about 3 cups of rub

Edit: fixed for 5 lb shoulders

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 13, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ribs have less meat than their weight would initially indicate, though, and much of the rub will be “lost” to the bones at least on the back.

I guess there’s a tension between the two roles of the run, seasoning the meat vs creating a crust. The former varies by meat weight, but the latter by surface area.

That’s a good place to start, though. Thank you!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Perhaps don't do the same rub for both meats though. Otherwise people will be like "it all tasted the same".

Maybe go more basic with the ribs ?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well, the pulled pork is going to be sauced lightly, so that probably won’t be a problem. Good point, though. I’ll think about it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I've got pork back ribs and chicken rear quarters to smoke.

I'm taking recommendations for both. Brine, rub, time, temp, what do you suggest. I've had a few successes, but I'm looking to try something different.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Whooping Crabs posted:

I think it's a tablespoon per pound. Assuming 5 lb racks thats 50 lbs of meat. 50 tablespoons is 25 ounces, you need about 3 cups of rub

Edit: fixed for 5 lb shoulders

There's tablespoons, pounds, ounces and cups as measurements in that sentence, and it's extremely confusing to me as an unwashed Euro

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Indolent Bastard posted:

I've got pork back ribs and chicken rear quarters to smoke.

I'm taking recommendations for both. Brine, rub, time, temp, what do you suggest. I've had a few successes, but I'm looking to try something different.

Amazingribs.com smoked turkey method where they seperate the skin from the muscle but leave it attached, and then put oil and herbs underneath works really well. The meat itself gets flavoured and the skin ends up being crispy. You may want to turn the heat up to max for the last bit as it's the temperature that gets the skin crispy. If you're smoking it down in the mid to high 200's I've found the skin stays a bit rubbery. Or just get it almost to temp and then toss it onto the grill at the very end.

Seperating the skin makes the biggest difference though. Possibly it becomes insulated and can't get rid of the heat as easily so it crisps up ? Not sure of the reason.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

jonathan posted:

Amazingribs.com smoked turkey method where they seperate the skin from the muscle but leave it attached, and then put oil and herbs underneath works really well. The meat itself gets flavoured and the skin ends up being crispy. You may want to turn the heat up to max for the last bit as it's the temperature that gets the skin crispy. If you're smoking it down in the mid to high 200's I've found the skin stays a bit rubbery. Or just get it almost to temp and then toss it onto the grill at the very end.

Seperating the skin makes the biggest difference though. Possibly it becomes insulated and can't get rid of the heat as easily so it crisps up ? Not sure of the reason.

Separating the skin lets the rendered fat under the skin run off, maybe?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

VERTiG0 posted:

I'm doing Chef John's Turkish chicken kebabs later today, grilled.

These were very good in case anybody was wondering (nobody was wondering).

Got a bunch of people coming by today so I'm grilling up seekh kebab with ground chicken and adana kebab with ground beef.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

There's tablespoons, pounds, ounces and cups as measurements in that sentence, and it's extremely confusing to me as an unwashed Euro

Our system sucks, sorry. A tablespoon is about 15 mL, and there are 2.2 lbs in a kilogram, so use about 30 mL of rub per kg of meat

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Mob posted:

I'm about to supplement my smoking with one of those 36" Blackstone griddles. I've fallen down a Youtube rabbithole and now I have to have one.

I have one to go with my BGE. It rules, but the regulator that came with it was garbage. Once I replaced that the thing kicks out a ton of heat, so much so that I actually need to completely relocate it so it doesn’t melt the railing on my deck. The grease catcher thing is also real lovely and spills easily.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Mob posted:

These look awesome but they're somehow double the price in Canada as they are in the US. Instead I got a Little Griddle Kettle-Q for my Webers which kicks rear end.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008
God drat, I never knew about this thread. How can we do all of this on a Weber 22 and a rusty 18?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Smoked carnitas were a success!! Highly recommended!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ok, I have ton's of apple and some oak.

I'll smoke the drat Stouffer's with the wood of your choice.

Hell I might have some mesquite.

Trip report? My wife is dying of curiosity.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hub Dirt posted:

God drat, I never knew about this thread. How can we do all of this on a Weber 22 and a rusty 18?

Yes you can. I'd recommend looking at the snake method, or the diy smoke n sear.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hub Dirt posted:

I posted a few pages back that I did a 5 hour 225 F smoke on a 22” Weber using the $15 Webber charcoal baskets without touching the coals once. There are a ton of videos on YouTube showing different techniques.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Hub Dirt posted:

I smoke the poo poo out of meats on my 22", it's a champ on long cooks with very little fuss.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Smoked carnitas were a success!! Highly recommended!

How did you finish them? I see a lot of people do it in the oven but I still prefer frying. I also use a lot of orange juice is my marinade.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
At my partner's insistence, we ended up getting a wood pellet grill, since that's the only thing that would fit our apartment building's HOA rules. Took it for some romps over the weekend:

Look at that smoke rings.

Look at it.

All in all, pretty satisfying device. Might not be as versatile as a charcoal or gas grill, but it's drat good at what it does.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Internet Explorer posted:

Trip report? My wife is dying of curiosity.

I'm hoping to get to the frozen lasagna this week sometime. Perhaps Tuesday. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of this. As anyone knows that have baked one these in the oven, they take loving forever. So trying to extrapolate at least a cooking time within an hour (or close to it).

In other smoking news my weekend was busy but I tossed on some brats for dinner last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Tezcatlipoca posted:

How did you finish them? I see a lot of people do it in the oven but I still prefer frying. I also use a lot of orange juice is my marinade.

Shredded onto a couple of sheet trays and popped in the oven. It's easier for me than having to watch over it and it turns out great.

Also, a question for anyone: does injecting meat have any noticeable effect during a smoke?