Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
putin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

They should have sent a poet.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anime was right posted:

there is a post on reddit on the first space:
- pro cop
- dozens of white noise comments like "aww" posted 41-43 minutes ago. no other comment block is that saturated to that degree. all of these are done with bought/new accounts.
- all of first wave of the upvotes happened in a group of 1000 almost exactly 42 minutes ago

there is an organization consistently elevating pro-cop propaganda to the front page of reddit. daily.

yeah ive noticed this a lot as well. the cop posts are especially noticeable since there's a complete disconnect between the mood of the actual (young, relatively liberal) userbase of reddit and the reputation-management posts of cops cuddling cute animals.

reddit is the most easily-astroturfable social media site and thats the secret to its success imo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah ive noticed this a lot as well. the cop posts are especially noticeable since there's a complete disconnect between the mood of the actual (young, relatively liberal) userbase of reddit and the reputation-management posts of cops cuddling cute animals.

reddit is the most easily-astroturfable social media site and thats the secret to its success imo

Not just your opinion. The owners literally have explained that Astroturfing to make Reddit seem more popular is how they started

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

anime was right posted:

there is a post on reddit on the first space:
- pro cop
- dozens of white noise comments like "aww" posted 41-43 minutes ago. no other comment block is that saturated to that degree. all of these are done with bought/new accounts.
- all of first wave of the upvotes happened in a group of 1000 almost exactly 42 minutes ago

there is an organization consistently elevating pro-cop propaganda to the front page of reddit. daily.

link?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/2pbptw/cops_playing_with_some_kittens/

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

https://twitter.com/RXMANSPHOENIX/status/1017496439688237070/video/1

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

unpaid, fight against slavery

lots going on here

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

for real though, it's freakin' me out that matel is trying to tell young girls how to cope with depression using a CGI barbie avatar

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
the thing that really bugs me is everyone pretending depression just happens and isnt because our society is so hosed

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

got any sevens posted:

the thing that really bugs me is everyone pretending depression just happens and isnt because our society is so hosed

communities and supportive relationships that might prevent depression are literally worthless to capital much like the environment or anything else you can't buy or sell. If anything, crushing people into pits of despair creates more demand for mental health services and pharmaceutical remedies so our system probably incentivizes practices that leave people alienated from one another and more vulnerable to mental illnesses like depression

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Marzzle posted:

communities and supportive relationships that might prevent depression are literally worthless to capital much like the environment or anything else you can't buy or sell. If anything, crushing people into pits of despair creates more demand for mental health services and pharmaceutical remedies so our system probably incentivizes practices that leave people alienated from one another and more vulnerable to mental illnesses like depression

lol what do you mean 'probably'

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I mean it's probably not by design, just incidental to other poo poo

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Marzzle posted:

Yea, it's funny how "can't get them welfare queens off the dole" is invoked as an argument for cutting social safety nets, when red states already deem being able to work part time but NOT without medications that are unaffordable (even with ACA insurance) as 'not disabled enough' to qualify for medicaid.

Depression and other mental illnesses also create a convenient scapegoat for victim-blaming to justify the existence of a perpetual underclass that deserves to suffer, because mind-breakingly awful poo poo that people have only barely survived somehow retroactively becomes their fault.

Marzzle posted:

I mean it's probably not by design, just incidental to other poo poo
Malthusian policy decisions are never accidental. This situation might not be the most desired outcome, but it cannot have been unexpected.

silentsnack has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Jul 14, 2018

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there is a "humanizing cop" post making it to reddits top spot daily.

people are actually catching on but this has been going on for years and they've been pushing stuff (especially in videos) using the exact same methodology that pro-fracking posts were pushed in a specific subreddits

its seriously very lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the people who dont understand that every free product and most paid ones on the internet are 100% designed from the bottom up as advertising platforms are incredibly stupid

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Yeah pretty much. Facebook was caught selling to advertisers that they could pinpoint when a depressed teenager using their platform was the most emotionally vulnerable.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/01/facebook-advertising-data-insecure-teens

They've also ran experiments against their user base on how to alter their moods.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/30/facebook-emotion-study-breached-ethical-guidelines-researchers-say

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
that kind of argument against facebook experimenting on their users is dumb though, since what qualifies as an "experiment" in this case is just subjecting the users to the usual poo poo they always do except they dont run the test on every single user at once

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mercrom posted:

that kind of argument against facebook experimenting on their users is dumb though, since what qualifies as an "experiment" in this case is just subjecting the users to the usual poo poo they always do except they dont run the test on every single user at once

the issue is the fact they did research that was completely unethical and still got to publish about it. Scientific ethics say you have to get informed consent, especially when your study might harm participants, like the facebook study did.

you're correct companies do unethical research all the time but idk if that means we shouldn't be upset about it

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
as with most things its a matter of degree. imo launching a massive marketing campaign targeting millions of people to see if it will increase sales is less ethical than changing how a news feed works on a website for scientific research

like i dont know or consent whenever google changes its search algorithm. but my consent is kinda implicit since for me google is just a black box that i willingly put words into. it doesnt matter to me if google is the same for everyone or region specific or random. it would matter if their aim was malicious of course but thats a separate issue from the act of experimentation

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mercrom posted:

as with most things its a matter of degree. imo launching a massive marketing campaign targeting millions of people to see if it will increase sales is less ethical than changing how a news feed works on a website for scientific research

like i dont know or consent whenever google changes its search algorithm. but my consent is kinda implicit since for me google is just a black box that i willingly put words into. it doesnt matter to me if google is the same for everyone or region specific or random. it would matter if their aim was malicious of course but thats a separate issue from the act of experimentation

Sure but in the context we're talking about, facebook was intentionally depriving some people of happy/positive facebook posts with the intent of seeing if it made them depressed.

That's more than just changing the service in an attempt to improve it.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure but in the context we're talking about, facebook was intentionally depriving some people of happy/positive facebook posts with the intent of seeing if it made them depressed.

That's more than just changing the service in an attempt to improve it.

*changes the vitamin c content of orange juice to see if it gives ppl scurvy*

“it’s for science yo”

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
would the opposite be ok, depriving certain people of depressing news to see if they would be less impressed? if you believe there is a chance it would work, isnt it unethical to deprive everyone else of that change?

i'm not denying your core argument, but i don't think this experiment actually did anything that could reasonably be described as harm. they didnt actually do anything they thought could make people genuinely depressed. if it did it would put into question the ethics of so much of our society, like the publishing of depressing news in the first place

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mercrom posted:

would the opposite be ok, depriving certain people of depressing news to see if they would be less impressed? if you believe there is a chance it would work, isnt it unethical to deprive everyone else of that change?

i'm not denying your core argument, but i don't think this experiment actually did anything that could reasonably be described as harm. they didnt actually do anything they thought could make people genuinely depressed. if it did it would put into question the ethics of so much of our society, like the publishing of depressing news in the first place

You're confusing ethics and morality. It is blatantly unethical in modern science to do any experiment that you think you might cause harms without informed consent. Facebook didn't get informed consent. And yes, thinking you might make people depressed counts as harm.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
well if we are just rules lawyering i could say that you cant prove the researchers knew of any risk of their experiment causing depression. also depression has nothing to do with loving mood

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Mercrom posted:

well if we are just rules lawyering i could say that you cant prove the researchers knew of any risk of their experiment causing depression. also depression has nothing to do with loving mood

We live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia, where even facebook has desperate white knights.

quote:

Some types of social scientific research, such as psychological experiments, may use deception as part of the study; in these cases, researchers may not fully describe the procedures to participants, and thus participants are not fully informed. However, researchers are required to debrief participants immediately after the experiment is concluded. Certain populations are considered to be vulnerable, and in addition to informed consent, special protections must be made available to them. These include persons who are incarcerated, pregnant women, persons with disabilities, and persons who have a mental disability. Children are considered unable to provide informed consent.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
in something resembling a just society, any of the snakes should be given a minute or two to try to bargain as to why they shouldn't be sent to the guillotine

if they don't make a compelling argument, they get drawn and quartered instead

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
so just quick poll, anyone else experienced anything like this? today I tried to type the word "suicidal" in a text on my iphone, but accidentally typed "suividal." my phone marked it as misspelled, but had "no suggestions" for replacements. so I tried every other letter in place of the v. no dice.

this also happened when typing "dystopic" and "schizotypal." basically my phone doesn't seem to want to type depressing words? I'm really hoping someone who knows about predictive text will tell me it's just a quirk of some program, but admittedly it feels a bit sinister

*phone corrected correctly spelled sinister into "sister did"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mercrom posted:

psychological experiments without informed consent is super unethical

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Main Paineframe posted:

psychological experiments without informed consent is super unethical

and in this case it’s basically just for marketing bullshit to people slightly better. it’s not like finding the cure to cancer or anything at all worth while. It’s literally just FB playing god and cranking off a publication about it to get some ad companies rock hard to use FBs platform

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
its gonna be loving hysterical when people start being wistful about early cyberpunk dystopias because they become a literally better option hahahaha

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

its gonna be loving hysterical when people start being wistful about early cyberpunk dystopias because they become a literally better option hahahaha

this is basically every conversation about jobs between foreigners fluent in japanese already

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

what do you mean 'gonna be' that's pretty much yospos and the game room 24/7 already

but yeah it's starting to show up on actual regular internet, and it probably would in real life if people could afford things

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mandoric posted:

this is basically every conversation about jobs between foreigners fluent in japanese already

what about not-yet-foreigners who are not-yet-fluent? asking 4 a friend... :ninja:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

dont be mean to me posted:

what do you mean 'gonna be' that's pretty much yospos and the game room 24/7 already

but yeah it's starting to show up on actual regular internet, and it probably would in real life if people could afford things

actual cyberhell is cool because like it just seems like insane drugs are everywhere but instead we just have loving facebook and suburbs still exist

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
yeah like if things are gonna be this way can I at least get a cool new liver that filters super good so I can do the fun designer hyperdrugs please

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

turns out we replaced all the designer hyperdrugs with hydrocodone and fentanyl

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 10:15 on Jul 15, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if you can't find a solid brain-frier to order over the internet that's entirely because you're not really trying

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1018501070652432384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

projecting