Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Holy gently caress I’m so happy, that’s sooner than I expected. Uniel is the best modern 2d fighter I’ve played, so that is a day 1 purchase.

edit for new page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGTjxmFvw-w

brainSnakes fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does UNIST have a CCCaster equivalent? Does it need one?

if its anything like EL it's a very similar "delay based netcode, but on pc its acceptable and you can actually see your delay at all times so you know when its time to blame lag" situation to xrd and dbz

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

dragon enthusiast posted:

quote:

quote:
There will balance changes and bugfixes to come, and they are currently working on new character(s) (not specified number), and there will be an update to all platforms. There is no specified date so we do not know when this supposed update is coming, so it could be coming to all platforms along with the steam release or after or even next year.

hahahahahah of course they would announce the new upcoming steam version is outdated the day they announce it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's not really what they're saying there.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I mean, he's not wrong. It's outdated as they have already released bugfixes to take care of the no air blocking or universal double jumps not working, and they rolled out the balance patch that added a bunch of new characters from three other series.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm sure Under-Night is a fantastic game, it's just that French Bread and ASW are so consistent about making sure that there is no parity among all versions of their games that it's hard not to assume it's intentional at this point

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

If you're like most of the people I know IRL who play these games you own a copy for each platform you intend to play it on.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, it sounds like he's saying a new UNIx is coming, and that it'll be on all applicable platforms at once rather than PC being inexplicably delayed until ???. That's good, not bad.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I’m sure the pc port of any new version will be delayed, but I’ll keep buying good fighting games on steam to let publishers know it’s the platform I’m fighting on.

As long as there’s a group of nerds playing Unist on pc when it drops, I’ll be happy.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

I'm sure Under-Night is a fantastic game, it's just that French Bread and ASW are so consistent about making sure that there is no parity among all versions of their games that it's hard not to assume it's intentional at this point

I mean I can't speak for French Bread but this hasn't been an issue for arcsys games in a bit. I think starting with Rev 2 they've kind of been on the ball?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Crocoswine posted:

I mean I can't speak for French Bread but this hasn't been an issue for arcsys games in a bit. I think starting with Rev 2 they've kind of been on the ball?

Has anything even come out since Rev 2? (dbz is an obvious exception)

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

yes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Broken Loose posted:

Has anything even come out since Rev 2? (dbz is an obvious exception)

BBtag?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

brainSnakes posted:

I’m sure the pc port of any new version will be delayed, but I’ll keep buying good fighting games on steam to let publishers know it’s the platform I’m fighting on.

As long as there’s a group of nerds playing Unist on pc when it drops, I’ll be happy.

Im double dippin

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a breakdown of input lag across various games - it's missing whatever the author didn't own, so no KOF14, MvCI, NRS games, etc but it's still pretty thorough, what the hell is up with SF5? https://medium.com/@WydD/input-lag-ps4-results-5d6caa463831

EDIT: to explain the SF5 thing, the amount of input lag is dictated by an invisible background cycle that gradually introduces more lag and then resets after about a minute, so the amount of lag is constantly and regularly fluctuating and there's no way to know how much there'll be at the start of a match - if you were to start at the beginning of the cycle you'd have around 4.5 frames of lag but it'll gradually climb to a little over 7 frames of lag towards the end of the cycle, until the invisible buffer resets. It's an insane bug that nobody's been able to pinpoint until now and it explains so much about why people have had such awful experiences pressing buttons in that game.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 16, 2018

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's a breakdown of input lag across various games - it's missing whatever the author didn't own, so no KOF14, MvCI, NRS games, etc but it's still pretty thorough, what the hell is up with SF5? https://medium.com/@WydD/input-lag-ps4-results-5d6caa463831

EDIT: to explain the SF5 thing, the amount of input lag is dictated by an invisible background cycle that gradually introduces more lag and then resets after about a minute, so the amount of lag is constantly and regularly fluctuating and there's no way to know how much there'll be at the start of a match - if you were to start at the beginning of the cycle you'd have around 4.5 frames of lag but it'll gradually climb to a little over 7 frames of lag towards the end of the cycle, until the invisible buffer resets. It's an insane bug that nobody's been able to pinpoint until now and it explains so much about why people have had such awful experiences pressing buttons in that game.

oh i'm sure the game is fine and fun to play at that you're just splitting hairs

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Every SFV match I ever lost was because I was on a bad random input lag cycle.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's cool that more games are trying to come up with new mechanics, even kind of borrowing the GRD system from UNI.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
everyone plays worse when mercury is in retrograde hth

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

This info makes me wonder, are the input lag cycles synched between two consoles in the same match?

If it's not, and it's definitely not between PC and console considering that apparently this only affects the PS4 version, it might explain how the rollback code is so incredibly awful seemingly randomly.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Always make sure your stick is above your tower/console when you play SFV, so that your inputs easily flow downhill into the game instead of fighting gravity.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Puyo question:

When I’m practicing, should I try to “just make chains” organically (without a pattern in mind), or is it better to try to stick to a pattern (like stairs, for instance)? The layout of the nice puyo nexus guide seems to suggest that improvement is about getting familiar with more and more patterns?

In my experience, I definitely get bigger chains more dependably by trying to focus on stairs. However, after the initial chain (if it even gets out before I die, haha) my field is in such a horrible state that I don’t know how to continue with the stair method - so instead I just revert to doing stuff without a pattern (I think puyo nexus refers to this as “blocking method”).

I’m sure the answer is “just play, idiot” - as I play more I definitely feel all aspects of my play getting a tiny bit better over time. Just curious about what y’all think of pattern use while trying to improve.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

giogadi posted:

Puyo question:

When I’m practicing, should I try to “just make chains” organically (without a pattern in mind), or is it better to try to stick to a pattern (like stairs, for instance)? The layout of the nice puyo nexus guide seems to suggest that improvement is about getting familiar with more and more patterns?

In my experience, I definitely get bigger chains more dependably by trying to focus on stairs. However, after the initial chain (if it even gets out before I die, haha) my field is in such a horrible state that I don’t know how to continue with the stair method - so instead I just revert to doing stuff without a pattern (I think puyo nexus refers to this as “blocking method”).

I’m sure the answer is “just play, idiot” - as I play more I definitely feel all aspects of my play getting a tiny bit better over time. Just curious about what y’all think of pattern use while trying to improve.

i'm not a puyo expert but if you become intimately familiar with more of the chain patterns you can switch freely between them and adapt based on your field state

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVaPdLQd73s

gtr is a huge one that most higher level puyo players do, and i find is actually a bit easier than stairs personally

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The thing with the tutorial stairs patterns is that they have an extremely inflexible build order, so there's basically only one way to construct them. the simplicity makes it really easy for beginners to learn but it also makes it really difficult to reconcile on messy boards.

You should always have some kind of chaining form stewing in your minds eye, the more chains you familiarize yourself with the more combo routes stay open for you.

If you can consistently hit 4-5 chains with stairs the typical next logical steps are learning how to transition, so you can chain up the wall, and sandwich chains, which actually have a build order for greater flexibility.

If you look up my post history in this thread I also did a big effortpost about the lessons you should be taking away from stairs, it'll help for when you start using to build multi-column and non-repeating forms

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm working on a spectators guide to Puyo since there's actually going to be a side tourney with international talent at EVO this year, looking for feedback on the draft from people who don't know poo poo about the game
http://www.cssdesk.com/xXs8d

Originally I tried to cut out as much unnecessary information as possible to make it something readable in one sitting, but I've been looking at the spectators guides others have written for like Marvel and Blazblue and those went into painstaking detail about all the systems so idk which approach is more useful for people

One thing I'd explicitly state early is the relation of chain length to countering. You can keep building while the opponents chain resolves, so all else being equal the player who attacks first will more likely than not lose the exchange, and the longer the chain the more time the opponent has to build that counter. You talk about pressure and power chains later but I think the above might help a new player understand why those quick attacks are useful.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04OPYMvdXls

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

The thing with the tutorial stairs patterns is that they have an extremely inflexible build order, so there's basically only one way to construct them. the simplicity makes it really easy for beginners to learn but it also makes it really difficult to reconcile on messy boards.

You should always have some kind of chaining form stewing in your minds eye, the more chains you familiarize yourself with the more combo routes stay open for you.

If you can consistently hit 4-5 chains with stairs the typical next logical steps are learning how to transition, so you can chain up the wall, and sandwich chains, which actually have a build order for greater flexibility.

If you look up my post history in this thread I also did a big effortpost about the lessons you should be taking away from stairs, it'll help for when you start using to build multi-column and non-repeating forms

Thanks a lot, I went and found your older effort post and I found it hugely informative. I really appreciate the effort you put into it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol I loving love Arika's "high school computer club" video aesthetic. First look as Vulcano and Pullum:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite sandwich chain is beach hut

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Tempted to pick it up after all. Does it have any single player content?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shy posted:

Fexl? Not really they adding arcade mode i guess

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Shy posted:

They're adding an arcade mode supposedly by the end of this month.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

lol I loving love Arika's "high school computer club" video aesthetic. First look as Vulcano and Pullum:

Looks like there's a stream tomorrow on Daigo's channel with SF2's creator. Neat.

Also have a free Tekken 7 Eliza DLC code I found in my drawer for the PS4 copy of Tekken 7 I no longer own:

QNCJ-KBNM-H6BK

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Night Blade posted:

Looks like there's a stream tomorrow on Daigo's channel with SF2's creator. Neat.

Also have a free Tekken 7 Eliza DLC code I found in my drawer for the PS4 copy of Tekken 7 I no longer own:

QNCJ-KBNM-H6BK

Just started playing Tekken like a week ago, thanks!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://i.imgur.com/u9E5bn8.jpg

A real life JoJo's machine in a new arcade in 2018.

What the gently caress is going on.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

WarEternal posted:

https://i.imgur.com/u9E5bn8.jpg

A real life JoJo's machine in a new arcade in 2018.

What the gently caress is going on.

Round One in Atlanta has one, but no one ever plays the fighters there.

I assume that is also a Round One, maybe also the Atlanta one.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

It is, South Portland, Maine.

Also no one playing, just me and a friend.

E: They just bought these things surplus from somewhere in Japan or something I assume?

There was like a whole section of FGs with no one really playing any. Very strange to me the way the world works sometimes.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 19, 2018

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Those look like knockoff mini-Vewlix cabinets and are probably just running a Raspberry Pi or Arduino or something with an emulator.

edit: I guess theyre just the standard Round One cabinets that they use for basically every game but I'd still be surprised if they used actual arcade hardware for everything especially CPS3 considering the battery issues.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 19, 2018

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Yeah, I'm sure it was emulated, it's definitely a multipurpose type thing even though JoJos was in it at the time. I'm not really knowledgeable enough to know. The stick felt pretty loosey goosey to me but I'm a pad scrub so I don't really know.

Still fun to see/play around on, even if I am baffled by the fact that ~10% of the floor space was taken up by something seemingly nobody plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Not all crazy Injustice crossovers are DLC.

Coincidentally, takes place after Injustice 2 and treats the bad ending as canon.