Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The banter being very easily missable if you dont' have the right members in your party at just the right time is very lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Andrast posted:

The banter being very easily missable if you dont' have the right members in your party at just the right time is very lame

You can switch party members between every minor event, but it's kind of a pain to do so. And of course if you miss one, you can't go back and do it. Can't reread them either. So yeah, it still sucks.

I'm hoping someone puts them all up eventually.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

You can switch party members between every minor event, but it's kind of a pain to do so. And of course if you miss one, you can't go back and do it. Can't reread them either. So yeah, it still sucks.

I'm betting Prosafariagaming or Gamexplain is on it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

I'm definitely not going to bother doing that.

They should just have let us see all of them, regardless of the party composition. There is no reason not to do that.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Andrast posted:

I'm definitely not going to bother doing that.

They should just have let us see all of them, regardless of the party composition. There is no reason not to do that.

Definitely agree with you there.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Ok. Finally getting around to play. I never played many JRPGs back in the day being a Genesis kid. I have no idea why this scratches an itch I didn't think I had.

Playing this game is so relaxing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have hit major choice paralysis in my party. I need to figure out what cross-classes to do and go get all the shrines after I get the last party member (which I am at).

Thinking:
Therion - Hunter
Primrose - Scholar
Olberic - Merchant I guess???
Alfyn - Cleric?

That gives me every job but man it does not feel optimal. And I'm not sure what to move around for more coverage. The choice paralysis is real.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Does the Dialogue get a little less flowery and verbose after everyone’s first chapter? I’m getting Persona 5 flashbacks of pressing through dialogue that doesn’t really add anything to the plot and seems to repeat / drone on endlessly.

When H’aanit have a 10 page long soliloquy to a mindless monster about the circle of life my eyes almost rolled out of my head.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

I have hit major choice paralysis in my party. I need to figure out what cross-classes to do and go get all the shrines after I get the last party member (which I am at).

Thinking:
Therion - Hunter
Primrose - Scholar
Olberic - Merchant I guess???
Alfyn - Cleric?

That gives me every job but man it does not feel optimal. And I'm not sure what to move around for more coverage. The choice paralysis is real.
The obvious one to me is switching Cleric to someone else so you're not putting all your healing eggs in one basket, maybe trade that with Scholar?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Iverron posted:

Does the Dialogue get a little less flowery and verbose after everyone’s first chapter? I’m getting Persona 5 flashbacks of pressing through dialogue that doesn’t really add anything to the plot and seems to repeat / drone on endlessly.

When H’aanit have a 10 page long soliloquy to a mindless monster about the circle of life my eyes almost rolled out of my head.

Goofy faux-archaic dialog is the gimmick from H'aanit's area, which is remote and rustic. They speak differently in other places.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Wow, elderly woman in Alf's village is a max strength challenge.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Wow, elderly woman in Alf's village is a max strength challenge.

And if you use Inquire on her, you will probably learn why.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm honestly really surprised how much I've enjoyed reading the small story blurbs about random villagers

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Yesterday, Finishing Therion Chapter 1: ... Cordelia wants to tap dat, doesn't she.
Today, Finishing Therion Chapter 2: Yeeeeeeeep Cordelia super wants to tap dat.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Are there guaranteed to be Travel Chat convos with all other seven party members? I just did Primrose and obsessively swapped party members after every event and never triggered anything with Olberic or Therion.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mega64 posted:

So for Chapter 2 you can swap characters in and party chat with them, but only if their moment hasn't passed. So I got one-on-ones with Ophelia and Primrose since their dialogue triggers at the end of Alfyn's quest, but I missed out on Therion and Olberic's. Kind of a shame you can miss them like that, but I'm sure all of them will be floating around the internet within a week or two anyway.

odd, how do you know if you're going to "miss" on something? curious if the game has a notice when these are available.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

odd, how do you know if you're going to "miss" on something? curious if the game has a notice when these are available.

You don't

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I normally avoid game specific threads to avoid spoilers. I don't go into the BotW thread from when it came out until I had every shrine done.

But I had to post an experience and see any comments on it. (crosspost from Switch Thread)

3 Characters so far. Randomly encounter a cat creature that apparently has 3 HP but runs away most of the time and I kill it and got 1000XP when I'm used to getting like 9. LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! I seriously gained 8 levels at one time with my lowest character, and 4 or 5 with my highest. what the gently caress

Loving the game btw

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Goofy faux-archaic dialog is the gimmick from H'aanit's area, which is remote and rustic. They speak differently in other places.

That’s not really what I mean although it is irritating. Everyone talks too much to little end.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The Bloop posted:

I normally avoid game specific threads to avoid spoilers. I don't go into the BotW thread from when it came out until I had every shrine done.

But I had to post an experience and see any comments on it. (crosspost from Switch Thread)

3 Characters so far. Randomly encounter a cat creature that apparently has 3 HP but runs away most of the time and I kill it and got 1000XP when I'm used to getting like 9. LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! LEVEL UP! I seriously gained 8 levels at one time with my lowest character, and 4 or 5 with my highest. what the gently caress

Loving the game btw

Those things are basically the Metal Slimes of the game. Low HP, insane defenses, prone to fleeing, massive payout for a successful kill.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/chinesenintendo/status/1017984694846017536

https://twitter.com/chinesenintendo/status/1017994448309895168

https://twitter.com/OCTOPATH_PR/status/1018029575945637888

The above tweet is an announcement that the game is sold out everywhere in japan for the weekend... but a bunch of chinese are replying to the tweet in english asking for a Chinese translation of octopath. A whole lot of 'Chinese Please' replies intermixed with japanese ones.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Square Enix should be really happy. Hopefully we get a poo poo ton of new JRPGs now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

theshim posted:

The obvious one to me is switching Cleric to someone else so you're not putting all your healing eggs in one basket, maybe trade that with Scholar?

That's definitely my first thought but I also want Prim to be nuking people constantly thanks to her passive.

Are cleric heals based on elemental attack or defense? If it's the latter I could make olberic a paladin which would be pretty fun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

That's definitely my first thought but I also want Prim to be nuking people constantly thanks to her passive.

Are cleric heals based on elemental attack or defense? If it's the latter I could make olberic a paladin which would be pretty fun.

defense

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

They're based on e.def and his heals work well, but the issues I've had running an Olberic cleric is that I never have a spare turn to use his heals because he's basically the backbone of my offense :v: I'll probably switch him eventually and make Prim a cleric instead

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
This game has a *very* simplified and more gamey version of the NPC interactions found in D&D CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and I kinda love it. Also, after playing over 100 hours of the Trails in the Sky games I'm kind of relieved town NPCs rarely get new lines of dialogue and you never have to speak to them multiple times to hear all that they have to say. Very efficient.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

someone awful. posted:

They're based on e.def and his heals work well, but the issues I've had running an Olberic cleric is that I never have a spare turn to use his heals because he's basically the backbone of my offense :v: I'll probably switch him eventually and make Prim a cleric instead

I figure between Therion and Prim I'll have plenty of offense so that works perfectly, thanks! Alf can just be a BP battery with the merchant skills :getin:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Very disappointed to learn that you can't lockpick without Therion, even with the Thief subclass. I thought his path action was Steal, so he effectively gets two. One to interact with NPCs (shared with Tressa) and a unique chest one for those of us that cannot leave chests behind.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

onesixtwo posted:

Very disappointed to learn that you can't lockpick without Therion, even with the Thief subclass. I thought his path action was Steal, so he effectively gets two. One to interact with NPCs (shared with Tressa) and a unique chest one for those of us that cannot leave chests behind.

Lockpicking is his Talent, not his Path Action. Tressa can find money lying around, H'aanit can capture and summon beasts, Olberic can Boost his Defend command, etc.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Terper posted:

Lockpicking is his Talent, not his Path Action. Tressa can find money lying around, H'aanit can capture and summon beasts, Olberic can Boost his Defend command, etc.

and Ophelia/Primrose just get hosed because their talent is just a thing that makes their path action do something

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Every character has 1 path action and 1 talent, it's just with the exception of Tressa and Therion they're "a path action and something you can do in combat"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to figure out a way to fit Apothecary Primrose into my lineup ( :kimchi:) when I realized that the thing that makes apothecary cool, i.e. the mixing, is of course Alfyn's talent :doh:

Why couldn't they just have these things (concoct, pokémon training, etc.) as part of the job like in real job system RPGs!?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I actually like the fact that each member has something unique to only them. I just wish Therion's wasn't "be able to open a box". :sigh:

Alchemist is still pretty decent as a job, you get good single target healing, a status cure/immunity buff, and poison is a lot more hard hitting than you'd expect it to be.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

someone awful. posted:

I actually like the fact that each member has something unique to only them. I just wish Therion's wasn't "be able to open a box". :sigh:

Alchemist is still pretty decent as a job, you get good single target healing, a status cure/immunity buff, and poison is a lot more hard hitting than you'd expect it to be.

Also decent support skills like SP regen on hit (and 500hp early game has made Alf a lot more durable than anyone else in my team so far)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

someone awful. posted:

Eyeball test tells me that poison is a percentage of max hp. It's very useful for going after shrines when you're underleveled.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

someone awful. posted:

The boxes aren’t restricted to episodes are they? You could just run back and pick it up later during free play.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Eyeball test tells me that poison is a percentage of max hp. It's very useful for going after shrines when you're underleveled.
huh, that would make sense

I poisoned an enemy once and it did like 29 damage per tick which felt really awful, but earlier today I fought some sort of optional boss and it was ticking for 1800 :v:

DalaranJ posted:

The boxes aren’t restricted to episodes are they? You could just run back and pick it up later during free play.
I mean you could run around the entire map in the post-game picking them up but at that point the loot inside is completely worthless so why even bother?

The boxes I have opened have had better gear than I've been able to purchase. So is the stuff Therion can steal but Tressa can't buy for whatever absurd reason. The devs just really really want you to have Therion on your team.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I didn't realize jobs allowed you to keep using your original class skills and weapons as well so I've been ignoring it till now :doh:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Computer posted:

huh, that would make sense

I poisoned an enemy once and it did like 29 damage per tick which felt really awful, but earlier today I fought some sort of optional boss and it was ticking for 1800 :v:

Yeah, I fought a thing on my way to the warrior shrine that badly outclassed me but poison was ticking for almost 500hp so I just made sure to keep it broken and I killed it in a few turns (then got like four levels :lol:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Your Computer posted:

I hope we can keep spoilers away from this thread (or at least in spoiler tags)!

I've got more questions: what's the deal with turn order? H'aanit was always going first so I re-arranged my gear and stuff so everyone else had more speed than her (and Tressa has way more speed) and she's still going first most of the time. Is it just kind of... random?

e: also I finally got all the characters, played Primrose's story last. I uh... still don't like that part. It's just incredibly icky in every way.

H'aanit's first support skill gives her a chance to attack first in battle.