Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

You already d drank the blue cumm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Disney needs to just cut a check to Universal and Paramount and buy a couple of BGS stories and the character of Gul Dukat to work for the Empire.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think Whittaker's character could have worked as an extremist rebel whose methods were just not helpful and perhaps an ideological threat to the more politically sensitive factions of the Rebellion. A guy who knows his war is lost and he's not afraid of losing anything so long as he takes as much as he can on his way out. But to really make that work, I think you almost have to keep him in the films and play Rogue Ones/OT timeline stuff out for a few more movies set BEFORE ANH, though. Have him be almost as big a threat to the Rebels as the Empire.

The trouble with Whittaker's character is that he's from The Clone Wars and Rebels. If you watched the shows, you knew him and why he would be an extremist. However, they didn't really explain what turned him into a crazy old man in Rogue One.

If I had to take a guess at what the whole problem with Disney Star Wars is, it'd be that they're trying to copy the Marvel Cinematic Universe on an accelerated timeline. It's the same mistake that DC did with the DCEU, and what Universal is trying to do with the "Dark Universe." This poo poo takes time to do right, but they're trying to spin off movies and books as quickly as possible to get the audience ready for the next twenty trilogies that Disney wants to create. Phase One of the MCU had 6 movies come out over 4 years, and Feige had been involved with a poo poo-ton of Marvel movies going back to Blade in 1998. That dude has decades of experience on seeing what works and what doesn't work for Marvel movies. Kathleen Kennedy has a lot of experience, and she worked with Spielberg for years, but she had only been in Lucasfilm since 2012. If she's the braintrust, then she's being asked to learn a lot of this poo poo on the fly and make the Star Wars universe as seamless as the MCU. It's pretty much impossible.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

JediTalentAgent posted:

Disney needs to just cut a check to Universal and Paramount and buy a couple of BGS stories and the character of Gul Dukat to work for the Empire.

Nah, they just need to grow the balls to let the First Order be competent. When it's run by the Abbott and Costello team of Hux and Kylo, why would anyone consider them to be a legitimate threat? The only reason the Resistance is struggling is because they, too, are just as incompetent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bogus Adventure posted:

Nah, they just need to grow the balls to let the First Order be competent. When it's run by the Abbott and Costello team of Hux and Kylo, why would anyone consider them to be a legitimate threat? The only reason the Resistance is struggling is because they, too, are just as incompetent.

Also there are like five of them left, they're the beach volleyball team of galactic resistance

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

sebmojo posted:

Also there are like five of them left, they're the beach volleyball team of galactic resistance

But at least they're happy because they won! (Despite suffering crushing losses)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I never knew that Whittaker's character HAD any non-film appearances, either.

But I've said another problem with the Star Wars compared to the MCU franchises is that Star Wars HAD to launch with Episode 7 (or it had to launch with a full on reboot) It couldn't do what Marvel did of a number of relatively unconnected films and then do Episode 7 as their Avengers event. They needed TFA to be the biggest thing out there right out of the gate.

But a reboot of Star Wars at this point might not be out of the question. When Disney got Star Wars, there were people who were hoping that they'd find a way to just pretend the prequels didn't happen. It's something a lot of people go would/will never happen, but it HAS happened with other franchises.

Things like Superman 3/4 didn't actually happen, we're treating Superman Returns as the spiritual/actual sequel to Superman II, for example. Bond gets more or less rebooted or reimagined every decade. Batman gets rebooted about as frequently, as does Spider-Man.

If this gets bad enough, soon enough, if the films don't do well enough in the coming years, I could see Disney putting them on the back burner for 3-5 years and just revive as an actual remake of the first 6 films. New actors, changes to the story, and people won't have much of a leg to complain by that point. They've killed off most the EU, already. A lot of people seem like they're unhappy with the rabbit hole the franchise has been in since 1999, anyway.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yeah, and that's the big problem. It also seems to be the trend that Disney is taking with the characters in its movies. Want to know about Captain Phasma? Read the book. Why are Kyber crystals a big deal? Watch The Clone Wars and Rebels. Oh, and don't expect that background knowledge to mean much of anything, as these characters and plot points will get jobbed or disposed of in short order because the general audience doesn't know them.

I understand that Star Wars doesn't have the flexibility to retcon movies like the MCU does, but does Disney really need to? They were starting after the Original Trilogy, which does a good job of leaving a clean slate for sequels to run on. They didn't need to worry about the Prequels. Hell, Disney had a ton of goodwill from the general public in starting up the trilogy again. However, they really poo poo the bed by not having a storyboard, and turning the movies over to directors with completely opposite approaches. They had Kasdan for TFA at the very least, but Rian Johnson wrote TLJ, and Kasdan is done with Star Wars for the time being.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Rose stole a kiss from Finn at the end w/o consent that's assault brother

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Elderbean posted:

Yeah Rogue one could have been an awesome Star Wars heist movie but it wastes so much time and doesn't flesh out the characters at all.

Some people would argue that were not supposed to care about them too much because they die but those people are bad and wrong. Their sacrifice would be way more meaningful if they were more complete characters.

If they started the movie with the flashbacks, show Jyn, her mother and father being in the imperial fold and her parents starting to see the damage that the empire is doing to the galaxy. Her parents go down the dissident route, and her mother is killed, and her father is forced to keep working on the death star since Jyn is used as a hostage. The first 1/3 of the movie could just be him and her trying to survive within the empire, and her making it to the Rebellion. The story could pretty much stay the same plot wise. Have Andor (accent guy) get some back story as well, maybe show some mission where he suffers a loss as well, so that you get a better idea of how everyone in the rebellion has somehow lost someone at the hands of the empire.

Now you have main characters that you actually care for, and the ensuing story and eventual sacrifice have more meaning and weight.

Bogus Adventure posted:

The trouble with Whittaker's character is that he's from The Clone Wars and Rebels. If you watched the shows, you knew him and why he would be an extremist. However, they didn't really explain what turned him into a crazy old man in Rogue One.

I didn't watch any of the EU stuff with his character, so my biggest problem with him is that he really didn't add anything to the film for me (IMO) except wasting a lot of time. All he added to it was giving Jyn the message from her father, which nobody else sees, so really it didn't add anything. That message could have been sent directly to Jyn, and Andor might has seen it as well. That way you have him being conflicted about Jyn because everyone else is saying that she is an imperial mole, not to be trusted, but he sees more in her than the rest. If the Rogue One story was spread between two movies, then maybe Forest's character could have been useful, and given Jyn a back story about how she was operating in some extremest wing of the rebellion.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Besides writing, this was my biggest gripe with TLJ. I can't take the move seriously, care about the outcome, or even feel a hint of suspense since the antagonists are laughably horrible and pretty much reduced to comic relief. The writers have written themselves into such a corner at this point that they had to decimate the Rebellion to make it seem like there are any stakes whatsoever. Like was mentioned before, it feels like the fight between the first order and the remaining rebels could take place in a stretch limo since there is almost nobody left. This is the exact reason why you're going to see another implausible super weapon show up in the next film. (also because JJ Abrams is incapable of not remaking movies, as opposed to coming up with something original, so get ready for a scene-for-scene remake of ROTJ)

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Cancer posted:

Haven't seen solo but R1 is probably my favorite of the nu star wars. Despite its numerous flaws it tries to be different from the flock and it sort of works imo.

I'd probably rate them R1>FA>TLJ in terms of watchability tbh.

Yep. They (Rogue One and Solo) have almost no light sabers in them, almost no use or references to the force, the battle scenes are more real and gritty instead of fantasy sci-fi, and both of them do some really great world building by showing much more of the underbelly and fringe of the Star Wars universe. The overall tone and feel of both films is how I imagined the prequel series would feel back in the day before they actually came out. If they had been a little tighter they could have easily stacked up to the OT.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Now that the dust has settled, we can agree that Disney is the #wokest #brand

And since Luke was just meant to be Zizek in a Jedi robe, we can also agree that SMG was always just trolling

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bogus Adventure posted:

The diversity part bothers me. Like, it's super hard to get a majority minority movie that is pitched to the general audience rather than to niche groups. Now it seems like the movie studios do it as a preemptive shield against criticism. You don't like Rose? You must be racist. You don't like Holdo? You must be sexist. I want to like Rose, but some of her dialogue is just absolutely terrible. I want to like Holdo, but her strategy is insufferable. Plus, take the way she and Leia talk about Poe when they capture him and flip the genders. That would be creepy as hell. Is that Rian's plan? Sort of like Louie C.K.'s episode where his date tries to force him to eat her pussy and play it for laughs instead of it being horrible? Like, what the gently caress.

i am fine with holdo but the conflict with her and poe is strictly their in service of the thematic, so he learns his lesson about sacrifice and poo poo. i feel like if we as the audiance had known her plan it would have worked a little better.

Bogus Adventure posted:

yeah. I agree from a film/story perspective that they need to actually be a threat. in the books/game, they kinda are because they are basicaly planing some super terror strike(the TFA laser thing) and then do a massive invasion with their navy/army/sleeper cells and then take over most of the galaxy. the issues is thematicaly and personally to me it kinda works that weird gently caress ups. they are dumber imperfect image of the empire just as kylo and snoke are broken copies of vader and palpatine. they are dumbshit morons trying to fill shoes they never can fill because they are even dumber then the empire.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JediTalentAgent posted:

I never knew that Whittaker's character HAD any non-film appearances, either.

But I've said another problem with the Star Wars compared to the MCU franchises is that Star Wars HAD to launch with Episode 7 (or it had to launch with a full on reboot) It couldn't do what Marvel did of a number of relatively unconnected films and then do Episode 7 as their Avengers event. They needed TFA to be the biggest thing out there right out of the gate.

But a reboot of Star Wars at this point might not be out of the question. When Disney got Star Wars, there were people who were hoping that they'd find a way to just pretend the prequels didn't happen. It's something a lot of people go would/will never happen, but it HAS happened with other franchises.

Things like Superman 3/4 didn't actually happen, we're treating Superman Returns as the spiritual/actual sequel to Superman II, for example. Bond gets more or less rebooted or reimagined every decade. Batman gets rebooted about as frequently, as does Spider-Man.

If this gets bad enough, soon enough, if the films don't do well enough in the coming years, I could see Disney putting them on the back burner for 3-5 years and just revive as an actual remake of the first 6 films. New actors, changes to the story, and people won't have much of a leg to complain by that point. They've killed off most the EU, already. A lot of people seem like they're unhappy with the rabbit hole the franchise has been in since 1999, anyway.

They’ve already sort of rebooted the universe by dumping the old EU. Honestly though I’m not sure how well the franchise would go over if Disney did a total reboot and suddenly Luke Skywalker wasn’t even canon anymore.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
marc alaimo really should be in a star.war

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

better than snoke and kylo Ren Faire

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Blistex posted:

If they started the movie with the flashbacks, show Jyn, her mother and father being in the imperial fold and her parents starting to see the damage that the empire is doing to the galaxy. Her parents go down the dissident route, and her mother is killed, and her father is forced to keep working on the death star since Jyn is used as a hostage. The first 1/3 of the movie could just be him and her trying to survive within the empire, and her making it to the Rebellion. The story could pretty much stay the same plot wise. Have Andor (accent guy) get some back story as well, maybe show some mission where he suffers a loss as well, so that you get a better idea of how everyone in the rebellion has somehow lost someone at the hands of the empire.

Now you have main characters that you actually care for, and the ensuing story and eventual sacrifice have more meaning and weight.

That's a good idea, and much better than the jumbled startup they did for the movie.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. I agree from a film/story perspective that they need to actually be a threat. in the books/game, they kinda are because they are basicaly planing some super terror strike(the TFA laser thing) and then do a massive invasion with their navy/army/sleeper cells and then take over most of the galaxy. the issues is thematicaly and personally to me it kinda works that weird gently caress ups. they are dumber imperfect image of the empire just as kylo and snoke are broken copies of vader and palpatine. they are dumbshit morons trying to fill shoes they never can fill because they are even dumber then the empire.

See, those are things they need to show onscreen rather than just tell the audience. I mean, they show the First Order blow up a bunch of planets, but then waste that by not explaining which planets they blew up and then humiliating their baddies by making Hux the butt of jokes and jobbing Phasma out whenever she shows up. I still can't take Kylo Ren seriously when he throws tantrums and takes his lightsaber to panels. The Empire worked because they had a quiet dignity. Yes, Vader humiliated subordinates that failed him, but did it in a creepy way by choking them. Not by repeatedly slamming them on the deck.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Moridin920 posted:

I think they took the WW2 ships in space a little too far tbh. Scene with the bombers was cool but at the same time broke physics so hard it hurt. Also pretty sure they never had to arc laser shots for max distance in the OT.

They could have easily fixed the most glaring issues by just having that stuff take place in low orbit of a planet but oh well. I guess the bombers scene kinda did.
:piaa:gently caress I can’t believe this never occurred to me. I’m easily distracted by space battles I guess. Rian Johnson is a god drat idiot

Bogus Adventure posted:

The diversity part bothers me. Like, it's super hard to get a majority minority movie that is pitched to the general audience rather than to niche groups. Now it seems like the movie studios do it as a preemptive shield against criticism. You don't like Rose? You must be racist. You don't like Holdo? You must be sexist. I want to like Rose, but some of her dialogue is just absolutely terrible. I want to like Holdo, but her strategy is insufferable. Plus, take the way she and Leia talk about Poe when they capture him and flip the genders. That would be creepy as hell. Is that Rian's plan? Sort of like Louie C.K.'s episode where his date tries to force him to eat her pussy and play it for laughs instead of it being horrible? Like, what the gently caress.
This is another thing I hate. It’s really hard to dislike The Last Jedi for the legitimate garbage movie it is without being lumped into the category of alt-righters and mra fuckboys who launched this massive campaign to trash the movie for being too progressive or feminist or anti capitalist or whatever. It’s like no you dipshits, the movie has actual problems but keep your weird insecurities to yourselves.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 15, 2018

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Holdo could have worked better as a First Order Admiral or Secondary Leader Holdo on the opposite side of the war. A female high-ranking villain with force powers? A threat not only to the Resistance, Luke, and Leia, but even Hux feels a lot of concern that between her enforcing and Kylo's position, he's looking at being replaced and is starting to look at ways to protect himself.

It's a bit of a rip off of the Tarkin/Krennic arc of R1, but it could maybe give some moments of making Hux's manic personality make a bit of sense or give it room for exploration. He NEEDS this. He's given everything to the cause. Without it, he's nothing.

If you would flip the tables and have all this be HUX committing the suicide run at the end of the film not out of bravery or sacrifice, but fear and nihilism, that could also be a game changer. The First Order Fleet is on the verge of collapse, it's over. He's not trying to be a hero, he's going out like this because any of the alternatives and the shame of them would be worse. Intentionally suiciding to take out a HUGE part of the Resistance could be a last minute downer Empire moment. The Resistance his high on their impending victory, then Hux does THAT and suddenly priorities and balances of power change in an instant.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Hazo posted:

:holyshitpiss: gently caress I can’t believe this never occurred to me. I’m easily distracted by space battles I guess. Rian Johnson is a god drat idiot

yeah it's weird how a movie director does things in a way that look super cool on screen even though they should really be thinking like a space engineer when making a motion picture about space wizards.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Hazo posted:

This is another thing I hate. It’s really hard to dislike The Last Jedi for the legitimate garbage movie it is without being lumped into the category of alt-righters and mra fuckboys who launched this massive campaign to trash the movie for being too progressive or feminist or anti capitalist or whatever. It’s like no you dipshits, the movie has actual problems but keep your weird insecurities to yourselves.

It's a repeat of the talking points of GB2016. Not just of people who hate the movie, but people who really seem to love it, too.

I think I hear as many people who are reviewing and praising the film doing so with more and more constant references to those MRA/Alt-Right review talking points. I mean, there was a review I was listening to recently that I think spent most their review on TLJ talking about how ignorant the people who hated this movie were and it almost felt like they were using reasons they hated the film that I never even heard people actually say.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

For me it's less an MRA/Alt right thing and the complaints about TLJ make it sound like they want the movies to go back to being like the prequels, and for that I do begin to assume they're bad and broken human beings

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Dogmeat posted:

For me it's less an MRA/Alt right thing and the complaints about TLJ make it sound like they want the movies to go back to being like the prequels, and for that I do begin to assume they're bad and broken human beings

The prequels were good ideas with bad execution. The same people who would say 4 years they would not be upset if Disney REMADE the prequels to fix a lot of the elements in that and make the fit better with the OT and their impending Disney Trilogy..

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dogmeat posted:

yeah it's weird how a movie director does things in a way that look super cool on screen even though they should really be thinking like a space engineer when making a motion picture about space wizards.

That's the thing it didn't look super cool because my brain immediately went "that's not how that works." I'm not a space engineer lmao I just evolved on a planet with gravity.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The bombing run of this film didn't really bother me, because I can figure that it's an issue of looking at the bombs and the delivery system and it's about creating a series of rapid, consistent detonations that that are needed to break through the defenses of that era's super-destroyer class ships. The old Y-Wing single massive playload method just has been outdated and you want something that will be more alike a needle pushing through the skin and filling up the target with explosions from the inside.

Or they're not even intended for space in the first place and were more for high-altitude/space drops over targets on planets, but it was all they had to use at the time.

But this is the good guys. This WMD? They're actually terraforming vessels intended for cracking asteroids and crusts for mining purposes that happened to get retrofitted to war use.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Being really mad about Star Wars as a grown man is loving shameful

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

The bombing run of this film didn't really bother me...

Me either, but I think my brain filled in something that wasn't there. For some reason I thought they were being pushed out of the ship using some sort of track which of course they would continue through space with that force...

I didn't even consider that they were just dropping bombs in space. I was probably distracted by the lack of a good story for the first 2/3rds of the movie.

EDIT:

WatermelonGun posted:

Being really mad about Star Wars as a grown man is loving shameful

My friend, just writing the words "Star Wars" on the internet as a grown man is loving shameful. Welcome and enjoy your stay.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's not that big of a deal and the scenes themselves were still cool space battles it was just something that made me go "huh" as I was watching it that's all.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

My friend, just writing words on the internet is loving shameful. Welcome and enjoy your stay.

e: I don't even mind the shithouse tactics of "slowly fly bombers in straight line at battleship" because Poe then gets called a loving idiot for losing all their bombers by several people. Can just chalk that one up to "idiot flyer ace thinks he is a tactician suddenly."

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 15, 2018

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

JediTalentAgent posted:

The prequels were good ideas with bad execution. The same people who would say 4 years they would not be upset if Disney REMADE the prequels to fix a lot of the elements in that and make the fit better with the OT and their impending Disney Trilogy..

I mean I don't think it would take a whole lot to fix the prequels, yeah, but they're more bad than just execution. They kind of just dove head first into STAR WARS BAGGAGE and my favorite thing about TLJ is that it comes outright and says "No that's really really bad" and TLJ is right. It kind of sucks that it's stuck in the middle movie since middle movies already come with baggage and so it drags pretty hard. The first movie would've been a better place for that maybe but it isn't exactly Rainn's fault that JJ made a beat for beat remake + new character intro for the new trilogy. They all look loving fantastic and the battles and poo poo are tense and pretty much everything the prequels weren't in execution as well.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the physics of the force and it’s effect on tie fighters , a dissertation

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Moridin920 posted:

It's not that big of a deal and the scenes themselves were still cool space battles it was just something that made me go "huh" as I was watching it that's all.

I mean there could be a throwaway comment to remind people that gigantic loving battle stations built with insane amounts of steel or whatever are gonna have mass/their own gravity even in space, but honestly the movie was long enough that I'm glad they didn't waste a goddamn second on those "technical" details.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bogus Adventure posted:

That's a good idea, and much better than the jumbled startup they did for the movie.

See, those are things they need to show onscreen rather than just tell the audience. I mean, they show the First Order blow up a bunch of planets, but then waste that by not explaining which planets they blew up and then humiliating their baddies by making Hux the butt of jokes and jobbing Phasma out whenever she shows up. I still can't take Kylo Ren seriously when he throws tantrums and takes his lightsaber to panels. The Empire worked because they had a quiet dignity. Yes, Vader humiliated subordinates that failed him, but did it in a creepy way by choking them. Not by repeatedly slamming them on the deck.

yeah, definitely. the empire is scary because they have an actual menace, vader is palpatines hatchet man who kills anyone who fucks up in a scary way. the first order are a bunch of child soldiers and a bunch of dickhead kids of imperial officers mixed with some old diehards. the issue is outside loving battlefront 2 dlc campaign and some of the books, you don't see it.

JediTalentAgent posted:

id be fine with them redoing the prequels they can't be any worse then they are already.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
star wars movies are now marvel movies but less interesting and fun

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, definitely. the empire is scary because they have an actual menace, vader is palpatines hatchet man who kills anyone who fucks up in a scary way. the first order are a bunch of child soldiers and a bunch of dickhead kids of imperial officers mixed with some old diehards. the issue is outside loving battlefront 2 dlc campaign and some of the books, you don't see it.

I agree that they aren't doing a great job of showing it, but still I'd rather face down an OT stormtrooper than a First Order one. Hell OT stormtroopers got punked by teddy bears ultimately. I'm also kind of liking Hux a whole lot because yeah they clown on him and he gets a few black eyes but at the same time he just ground the resistance into dust over two movies and Kylo just coup'd his way to the top so I think that we might be underestimating them going into the third movie.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
thor ragnarok was a better star wars movie than anything since ESB

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
Disney's Star Wars

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

LinYutang posted:

thor ragnarok was a better star wars movie than anything since ESB

I don't like Marvel movies, but Thor Ragnarok was hilariously fun.

Dogmeat posted:

I agree that they aren't doing a great job of showing it, but still I'd rather face down an OT stormtrooper than a First Order one. Hell OT stormtroopers got punked by teddy bears ultimately. I'm also kind of liking Hux a whole lot because yeah they clown on him and he gets a few black eyes but at the same time he just ground the resistance into dust over two movies and Kylo just coup'd his way to the top so I think that we might be underestimating them going into the third movie.

OT stormtroopers get a bad wrap because for two whole movies they were told to fail and let the good guys escape or they were directly up against plot armour. Everyone seems to forget the first time you see them in the movies where they absolutely dummy the rebels, who are waiting for them in defensive positions. For the rest of ANH the stormtroopers, even the tie pilots were told, "let them get away, make it look real!" Even Leia says so. In ESB they mop up the rebels on Hoth, but for the next half of the movie they are told to herd Luke to the trap, or up against plot armour (fighting main characters). ROTJ is the best example of them being easily defeated, but it wasn't until they were ambushed by a much larger force that theywere overwhealmed by the rebels and the ewoks. All the First Order stormtroopers manage to do so far in the first two films is massacre a village of unarmed civilians.

As for Hux grinding down the Rebellion? It looks like the Rebellion did it themselves, and didn't need any help really from Hux.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

So far the baddest rear end looking stormtroopers have been the ones in SOLO, but they're also getting stomped on they just look super cool and the movie doesn't stay there long enough. I mean ultimately they're henchmen so they're whatever the plot needs em to be I guess and that's fine. It's just at least Kylo and Hux are different character archetypes than what we've seen before but that's bad I guess, even though the movies get poo poo on when they just copy the old ones too. Eh gently caress, Kylo is basically just Anakin, but at least Adam Driver is doing it well.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
imagine if at the end of lord of the rings. they let sauron go and ignored him long enough he made a new ring and orc army and then there was a new fellowship of the ring but its only like 10% of the original fellowship and now theyre literally doing all three movies again like they didnt learn poo poo in the first 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
and aragorn never became king, he just randomly decided to become a total loser and drinks cows milk straight from the udder

• Locked thread