Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Are they out of stock again?

Geez, it’s rough being their all-time best seller :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/RealSardonicus/status/1017861568867028993?s=19

The art is cool but also imagine finding these randomly

This reminds me of an incident that Judy Melinek talks about in her book and in interviews about the 'worst ways to die' that she saw while working as the NYC Medical Examiner.

''Working Stiff: Two Years, 262 Bodies, and the Making of a Medical Examiner" posted:

"What's the worst way to die?" is the next most-asked question, to which Melinek usually replies, "You don't want to know."

When people insist, however, she tells them about Sean Doyle.

Around Christmas 2002, bartender Doyle went out drinking with pal Michael Wright and Wright's girlfriend. As they all walked home, Wright thought Doyle was hitting on his girlfriend, and witnesses later told cops they saw a man getting "the s–t beat out of him." He was heard screaming, "No, don't break my legs!" and another witness said he saw someone throw Doyle down an open manhole.

The drop was 18 feet. At the bottom was a pool of boiling ­water, from a broken main. Doyle didn't die instantly — in fact, as first responders arrived, he was standing below, reaching up and screaming for help. No paramedic or firefighter could climb down to help — it was, a Con Ed supervisor said, 300 degrees in the steam tunnel.

Four hours later, Sean Doyle's body was finally recovered. Its temperature was 125 degrees — the medical examiners thought it was likely way higher, but thermometers don't read any higher than that.

:ohdear:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1018275295135137797

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Is it because of the internet that I’m getting a vibe of this woman having a fetish for dead guys from this article

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
"His skin had peeled off and his organs had been cooked inside" and he was most likely conscious and awake......and his legs were broken.

O_O

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Moral of the story is not to flirt with Michael Wright's girlfriend.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
if the manhole's steaming, you better be leaving

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
my gf you be stealing? now your skin be peeling! God that is hosed up i'm sorry.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I thought the whole Jack the Ripper thing had been conclusively put to bed. It was Sir William Gull.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it was me bitch

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I started to say one of my music professors in college was the ripper, but he was the devil, not a murderer.

Please carry on.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Aesop Poprock posted:

Is it because of the internet that I’m getting a vibe of this woman having a fetish for dead guys from this article

Yes, it's absolutely an Internet artifact, because she's a medical examiner and her book is excellent and appropriately professional throughout.

Jack the Ripper was absolutely not William Gull, Walter Sickert, or Prince Albert Victor. :colbert:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Yeah sure but the story from that book that got me was the logging of body parts immediately after 9/11 (like, starting that day) and they were x-raying unidentified people to look for pacemakers and hip replacements and such, and they got a battered but mostly intact man's torso and discovered an entire woman's hand, complete with ring, lodged inside of it.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes, it's absolutely an Internet artifact, because she's a medical examiner and her book is excellent and appropriately professional throughout.

Jack the Ripper was absolutely not William Gull, Walter Sickert, or Prince Albert Victor. :colbert:

"hey you got jack the ripper in a can" doesn't have the same ring to it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Caganer posted:

"hey you got jack the ripper in a can" doesn't have the same ring to it

“Well you’d better not let him out. He’s suffocating!”

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

AlbieQuirky posted:

Alan Moore will have words!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlbieQuirky posted:

Walter Sickert

I read that whole lovely book expecting one shred of actual physical evidence that might possibly make me go "...maybe." but no. Not a drat thing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Randaconda posted:

I read that whole lovely book expecting one shred of actual physical evidence that might possibly make me go "...maybe." but no. Not a drat thing.

It was unbelievably poo poo. "Oh, he was in London!" So were millions of other dudes. "Oh, he painted portraits of sex workers!" So did many other painters. gently caress Patricia Cornwell.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AlbieQuirky posted:

It was unbelievably poo poo. "Oh, he was in London!" So were millions of other dudes. "Oh, he painted portraits of sex workers!" So did many other painters. gently caress Patricia Cornwell.

God, it was so loving bad. It sucked so bad it hurt my feelings.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Randaconda posted:

God, it was so loving bad. It sucked so bad it hurt my feelings.
that's what your dad said

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm telling you guys, we could be rich if we just wrote a reincarnation hypothesis about Jack the Ripper. Call it "Ripper Reborn." Find some historians to quote about the two different serial killers, but draw the conclusions ourselves so we don't actually misquote them. The thing basically writes itself. Could even be a History Channel special.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Yeah sure but the story from that book that got me was the logging of body parts immediately after 9/11 (like, starting that day) and they were x-raying unidentified people to look for pacemakers and hip replacements and such, and they got a battered but mostly intact man's torso and discovered an entire woman's hand, complete with ring, lodged inside of it.

dont kinkshame

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
shoutout to earhole poster for honestly answering my question but also oh god. oh dear god

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm telling you guys, we could be rich if we just wrote a reincarnation hypothesis about Jack the Ripper. Call it "Ripper Reborn." Find some historians to quote about the two different serial killers, but draw the conclusions ourselves so we don't actually misquote them. The thing basically writes itself. Could even be a History Channel special.

Unless you can link nazis or aliens (even better, nazi aliens) there is no way it will be shown on the History Channel.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Now "atlanto-occipital dislocation" (warning, unsettling x-rays) and "subarachnoid hemorrhage" are part of my day and I haven't even got to 9/11.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Varkk posted:

Unless you can link nazis or aliens (even better, nazi aliens) there is no way it will be shown on the History Channel.

What if they can show he hand forged his knives?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Caganer posted:

Oh ok - sorry for the negative implication. I got confused since I’m not sure that’s true - w/o dna to compare to would they have been able to quickly close it? Did they have specific suspects early on?

Pretty much like how fast we can get people whipped up into a frenzy speculating with how social media is, it was pretty similar back in that era with it not taking much to set people off. Early on it was suspected that the murderer had to be a butcher or leatherworker since one of them walking around covered in blood wouldn't draw so much as a second look. Many suspected the killer had to be Jewish especially after the "Juwes" chalk message on a wall. Most of the named suspects we're familar with came up later on well after the last murder except for Pizer who was mistakenly arrested for two of the murders, released when his alibis checked out and later got compensation from the newspapers who played it up about his arrest as the Ripper.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What a loving poor choice of friends god drat.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

Pretty much like how fast we can get people whipped up into a frenzy speculating with how social media is, it was pretty similar back in that era with it not taking much to set people off. Early on it was suspected that the murderer had to be a butcher or leatherworker since one of them walking around covered in blood wouldn't draw so much as a second look. Many suspected the killer had to be Jewish especially after the "Juwes" chalk message on a wall. Most of the named suspects we're familar with came up later on well after the last murder except for Pizer who was mistakenly arrested for two of the murders, released when his alibis checked out and later got compensation from the newspapers who played it up about his arrest as the Ripper.

A common theme of armchair investigations of the murders is the assumption that someone had to have been protecting the murderer for various reasons because it seems impossible that no one was caught. Police corruption, Establishment cover-ups, suspicious sons of the well-to-do spirited away to the colonies, there's almost every variation that you can imagine. If there hasn't been a thesis on how every forensic development has its accompanying Ripper theory, I'll be surprised.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

ewe2 posted:

A common theme of armchair investigations of the murders is the assumption that someone had to have been protecting the murderer for various reasons because it seems impossible that no one was caught. Police corruption, Establishment cover-ups, suspicious sons of the well-to-do spirited away to the colonies, there's almost every variation that you can imagine. If there hasn't been a thesis on how every forensic development has its accompanying Ripper theory, I'll be surprised.

i think a guy called jack was most likely the ripper.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I'm fairly certain her work has been shared here before, but after sharing Judy Melinek I'd feel lax in my deathling duties if I didn't also put forth Caitlin Doughty.

She's written two wonderfully interesting books, Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and From Here to Eternity, as well as runs a weekly, delightfully irreverent YouTube seres, Ask A Mortician / The Order of the Good Death where she tries to answer questions and demistify the frightening parts of the death industry and dying, while also frequently taking time to look at things from history.

Some of her work is certainly unnerving such as her ongoing 'iconic corpses' series (this link is to Jeremy Bentham. Or... Well... His head, anyway.

ANYWAY yeah, if you liked Melinek's book, or are just curious about the death and death positive industry in the United States (and even the world over, in FHTE) definitely check out Caitlin's work. She's amazing. Also if this interests you check out the Order's main page - there's a huge resource of like-minded authors, artists, scientists, and so much more that have all come together to help do what they can to further the death positivity movement.

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 08:01 on Jul 16, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

A post from earlier in the thread, but a detail that stood out to me as just, terrifying: A New Yorker article about a man with a seven second memory.

quote:

Desperate to hold on to something, to gain some purchase, Clive started to keep a journal, first on scraps of paper, then in a notebook. But his journal entries consisted, essentially, of the statements “I am awake” or “I am conscious,” entered again and again every few minutes. He would write: “2:10 p.m: This time properly awake. . . . 2:14 p.m: this time finally awake. . . . 2:35 p.m: this time completely awake,” along with negations of these statements: “At 9:40 p.m. I awoke for the first time, despite my previous claims.” This in turn was crossed out, followed by “I was fully conscious at 10:35 p.m., and awake for the first time in many, many weeks.” This in turn was cancelled out by the next entry.

This dreadful journal, almost void of any other content but these passionate assertions and denials, intending to affirm existence and continuity but forever contradicting them, was filled anew each day, and soon mounted to hundreds of almost identical pages. It was a terrifying and poignant testament to Clive’s mental state, his lostness, in the years that followed his amnesia—a state that Deborah, in Miller’s film, called “a never-ending agony.”

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'd legit kill myself if I ended up in that situation, presuming the 7 second limit didn't interfere with something like walking off a building. And here I was terrified of maybe getting bad memory like my grandparents.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kitfox88 posted:

I'd legit kill myself if I ended up in that situation, presuming the 7 second limit didn't interfere with something like walking off a building. And here I was terrified of maybe getting bad memory like my grandparents.

It’s not like the poor fellow has time to reflect on his situation. I’d rather do anything else than treat him though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kitfox88 posted:

The scariest part is I don't think you could kill yourself. He'd forget anything telling him that he had a 7-second memory, so he just kept thinking he was waking up from a coma over and over and over. Even if he realized what was happening, unless he had a bedside gun he'd forget what was happening before he succeeded.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The single scariest thing I've ever seen a human body do is what happened to my uncle: he was in his early seventies - old, but not like "i'm going to die" old, right? Wrong.

He got Progressive Supranuclear Palsy. At first, it just meant he had trouble with coordination, and walking. Now - I'm not super close with my uncle, but I knew he was beginning to "get old" when I saw him with a cane when we visited one year, and his speech was a little off - but he was fine, he could talk sci-fi books with me.

Fast-forward a year, and my mom's basically volunteered herself for getting him into a nursing home - we live in New York, he lives in Massachusetts, but Mom's his only close relative and he was living on his own and long story short, he got into a good nursing home. (Good does not mean it wasn't horrifying to visit.)

And...here's where I get involved, in that I'd accompany my mom on the drives out to get him settled, help move his stuff, help clean out his home of stuff, and to just visit him in general. And I watched him go from in a wheelchair but you can talk to him, to no talking except for very...slurred words, to just - total helpless paralysis. And over the years my mom and I helped get him a fancy keyboard so he could type, then when his vision become too blurred, he had to clumsily use it - and then a magnet board with letters, and then just a clicker for yes/no. And the entire time his mind was active and in there. He had volunteers come to read books to him, he had a phone call every week with his friend so she could read the news to him, he... he was in there. And his body was just, totally useless. He needed help with eating, everything. He had to eat this... treated water that was thickened so it could actually go down the tubes, right?

And it just - his hair was still brown, he was still in there, I remember we once told a joke while we were visiting and he laughed, it was an awful sound but it was genuine, he was able to understand and enjoy, and just...

He was like that for literally years, and we'd visit every few months, and it was the worst thing I'd ever seen. Up until one month he declined and then just didn't wake up one day.

My grandpa on the other side of the family died in a horrifying way, too - cancer got him, but the care for his last six months was godawful, where he and his wife and my aunt lived in their little nursing home apartment and my aunt changed his bandages daily and near the end he was hallucinating and mean and it was almost a relief when he died, I hear. And it was even worse because his wife - they were married for over seventy years. She's still living there, alone now that my aunt has gone back to her family.

On the bright side, my grandpa was in his... I think early nineties, late eighties, so unlike my uncle he didn't have another twenty years to live, so to speak. :smith:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.ff824cfe570b

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

StrixNebulosa posted:

The single scariest thing I've ever seen a human body do is what happened to my uncle: he was in his early seventies - old, but not like "i'm going to die" old, right? Wrong.

You should read about Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva, a genetic malady where soft tissue turns to bone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibrodysplasia_ossificans_progressiva
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/06/the-mystery-of-the-second-skeleton/309305/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nope nope nope nope no thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

quote:

They drove for nearly 100 miles, to Summersville, and married each other there, on the same day police combed the farm.

Is there a forums emote that is the equivilent of pointing to the side of your head and spinning your finger in a little circle?