Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Toaster Beef posted:

Have you found any simple keys yet? Or rancid eggs? If you've got one of each you can get your shade back without having to go retrieve it. Far right side of Dirtmouth.

:aaa: No! I've seen them for sale but didn't buy one. Bless you, sir. I'll give that a shot. And when I get my Shade back I'll go to the Capital like a good little bug... knight... thing.

EDIT: Oh lovely the key costs almost as much as the Geo I would stand to lose by giving up on getting my corpse back... That is less attractive.

Handsome Wife posted:

I'd just go to the shop that takes eggs in exchange for retrieving it for you. I wouldn't want to mess with that area without the lantern.

That said the scariness of that area is way overrated imo.

It was more like I wasn't expecting it at all. The place is dark, the enemies are super DUPER aggressive and hard to see, and the whole atmosphere is really creepy. I bet if you go down there prepared it's not so bad, but I am NOT.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Aaaaand I went a different direction to pick up some Geo, ran into another boss, which killed me. :v: RIP my money again! I'm never getting the lantern, am I?

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Got to play Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 on the Switch. The Rewind feature is amazing, and I feel like I can just casually enjoy all these games instead of being frustrated with them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Aaaaand I went a different direction to pick up some Geo, ran into another boss, which killed me. :v: RIP my money again! I'm never getting the lantern, am I?

How far into the game are you? It should be trivial to get enough geo for the lantern by selling relics in the city.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Your Computer posted:

How far into the game are you? It should be trivial to get enough geo for the lantern by selling relics in the city.

I just got the wall jump. The game is nudging me in the direction of the Capital which I assume is the place you're alluding to. FINE. I'll go there, game. FINE.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

I just got the wall jump. The game is nudging me in the direction of the Capital which I assume is the place you're alluding to. FINE. I'll go there, game. FINE.

If you can get somewhere, you're supposed to be there :colbert:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

So in Octopath traveler you don't actually unite into one overarching plot, it's just checking off each person's personal quest? That sounded weirdly small scale until I remembered that's basically most of Mass Effect 2 and I quite enjoyed that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

So in Octopath traveler you don't actually unite into one overarching plot, it's just checking off each person's personal quest? That sounded weirdly small scale until I remembered that's basically most of Mass Effect 2 and I quite enjoyed that.

There's a postgame dungeon that apparently ties at least some of it together. Otherwise the plot lines are separate.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I wish we knew if Nintendo was porting or making a sequel to Super Mario Maker. I miss it since I put up my Wii U in my closet and would love to have it on my Switch. :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waffleopolis posted:

I wish we knew if Nintendo was porting or making a sequel to Super Mario Maker. I miss it since I put up my Wii U in my closet and would love to have it on my Switch. :(

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that we’ll get a sequel. Just a matter of when.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Waffleopolis posted:

Yeah, I think a lot of us are hoping for this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

The $40 price tag was as it was practically a SNES port.
SNES ports were not uncommon throughout the GBA and early DS period. Square themselves released a bunch of $35 Final Fantasy ports for the GBA through 2007. I can't recall any DS games being released at the $20 price point for their initial print runs, although many did fall to that price later.

Chrono Trigger (DS) selling a million copies did well. Definitely get your point that it's odd that Square wasn't pleased with it. They may have anticipated greater sales since I think it did have a large print run, as they were selling it for $20 for years after. Still, I'm not sure $40 was the issue. The SNES game originally sold for double that. Also it came with a poster and print manual, which I really miss these days.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Silver Falcon posted:

The dude who buys relics is somewhere in the Capital, IIRC. He should help out. Really though, the game is made so you can approach it in myriad ways. If you're banging your head against something, it's often super helpful to just gently caress off to some other part of the map you haven't explored. The game is so, so much larger than you think. Deepnest never stops being a real pain to be in, but if it makes you feel any better: it's meant to be the most foreboding area of the game.

Also: hop into the Hollow Knight thread! Lots of folks in there are more than happy to help with whatever part of the game you're in. It's not at all the git gud circlejerk one might fear.

Also also: what happened to you (losing a bunch of geo when I needed it most) happened to me and basically everybody else at one point. Or at multiple points. It sucks, but the game doesn't just send you up a creek. You'll make it up.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 15, 2018

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Astro7x posted:

Got to play Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 on the Switch. The Rewind feature is amazing, and I feel like I can just casually enjoy all these games instead of being frustrated with them.

Yeah, it's great. Just be aware that the second collection does not give you the rewind, nor does it give you a proper state save. You can just save the last checkpoint.

I get that it'd be harder to implement with those games, since it's not just NES emulation, but it sucks bigtime.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Rewind and state save are for pussies. Get good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t like using those features personally but it’s nice they’re built in and that you don’t have to buy Game Genie and poo poo like it when you’re bad at games. More games should have that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Stuff like save states and rewind-functions would have blown my mind as a kid. I would have loved that poo poo.

Nowadays however, I simply don't have the time to play old games without that crap. Of course I still love it, but I also love having an excuse to rewind Darkwing Duck like a motherfucker!

If the Mega Man X collection I saw announced comes to the switch with save states and rewind, I'll probably finish the 2nd and 3rd game for the first time!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're charging 60 dollars for Monster Hunter? What?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Libluini posted:

Stuff like save states and rewind-functions would have blown my mind as a kid. I would have loved that poo poo.

One of the most infuriating feelings was playing Metal Slug 3 recently with infinite continues, dying every few seconds, and realizing I probably would’ve paid $50 to beat it in the arcade

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Guy Goodbody posted:

They're charging 60 dollars for Monster Hunter? What?

Well, what were you expecting? Capcom is more than happy to consider it a full price title. Was cheaper in Japan?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

Well, what were you expecting? Capcom is more than happy to consider it a full price title. Was cheaper in Japan?

It was cheaper in America!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
That's a 3ds game!

How was MH3 priced for the Wiiu? I don't recall what it was at launch

Personally I wish it was priced at 40 but eh, I'll eat the Switch Tax. I just want some portable MH on switch...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh this one's easy:

it's not the same game

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

That's a 3ds game!..

It's the same game!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nope

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
OK, i see the point of my confusion, Monster Hunter on the Switch is a port of a 3DS game, just that 3DS game. So my point is correct, it's a port of a 3DS game, 60 dollars is taking my piss.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, i see the point of my confusion, Monster Hunter on the Switch is a port of a 3DS game, just that 3DS game. So my point is correct, it's a port of a 3DS game, 60 dollars is taking my piss.

It's not. They made a 3DS and a Switch version of Monster Hunter XX and the west never got either. Now we're getting it on the Switch. :toot:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

IIRC the Switch Monster Hunter is in the more traditional vein of the series to appeal to diehard fans while the PS4/Xbox One game is a "modernized" one to appeal to the Western market?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

The 3DS version is a port of the Switch game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
A port is a different product that requires its own dev time. It's not a super involved port admittedly but still will play and look so much better than the 3ds version

Whether that warrants a $60 pricetag or not is definitely subjective but I mean..it's Capcom. I expected nothing less, especially when the 3ds version retailed at $40. A $20 luxury tax for the "big boy" version is industry standard, I feel.

I didn't feel too sour about paying $60 for Ys even though I know it was cheaper on vita etc

E: also what everyone else said, I didn't follow the development of this entry too closely

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

IIRC the Switch Monster Hunter is in the more traditional vein of the series to appeal to diehard fans while the PS4/Xbox One game is a "modernized" one to appeal to the Western market?
Well it's more that it's the last monhun to come out before World. It's been out in Japan for some time now.

It's something of a "best of" which the name suggest. It's a wonderful and ridiculously huge game and I spent like 300 hours playing it in Japanese on my Switch :toot:

KingSlime posted:

A port is a different product that requires its own dev time. It's not a super involved port admittedly but still will play and look so much better than the 3ds version
The 3ds version that was never released in the west :eng101:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Computer posted:

It's not. They made a 3DS and a Switch version of Monster Hunter XX and the west never got either. Now we're getting it on the Switch. :toot:

It is. Monster Hunter XX was released on the 3DS, then some time later it was ported to the Switch with the title Monster Hunter XX: Nintendo Switch Ver.. Now it's coming to America under the name Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

It's a straight up 3DS port

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

It is. Monster Hunter XX was released on the 3DS, then some time later it was ported to the Switch with the title Monster Hunter XX: Nintendo Switch Ver.. Now it's coming to America under the name Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

It's a straight up 3DS port

Oh sorry I must've gotten it mixed up. I still don't understand why you're angry that the Switch is getting another incredibly good game that was never released in the west.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is the game better than World?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Computer posted:

Oh sorry I must've gotten it mixed up. I still don't understand why you're angry that the Switch is getting another incredibly good game that was never released in the west.

I'm not sure how you got the impression that I'm angry about the fact that it's being released in the west. I'm glad it's getting released in the west, I'm going to buy it. I was just surprised that they're charging 60 dollars for a 3DS port

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

People say world introduces a ton of qol upgrades to the franchise, but mhxx has waaaay more content/variety and is portable. I've seen people on Reddit defending both titles for different reasons.

Personally I'm willing to bet you can't go wrong with either, provided you like the franchise to begin with. I haven't played world so I won't be missing any new features and am extremely amped for it's release

I've been waiting for so long

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

That's a super difficult question for me. World is undeniably more polished, more streamlined, more beginner-friendly, more user-friendly in general but is a much smaller game. Generations Ultimate on the other hand is just packed with content with a staggering amount of monsters (100+ to World's 30-something), the different hunting styles and arts, the cats, the ability to play as a dang cat, the transmog system, the crazy amount of weapons, armors, maps. It's absolutely my favorite of the old monhuns.

Both are incredible games. :kimchi:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The idea of going back to any previous MH after World sounds unbearable to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

No its worse and more obtuse but has an entire decade of content so diehards will hem and haw about how its not worse but it is

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
World is the better game in terms of how they've updated a lot of systems for the first time in like a decade, tons of QoL changes, and is basically the start of new "era" of monster hunter. XX/GenUltimate is basically the last of the previous era on the old engine, and because of it has a ton of content, since before world changed things it was easy to just reuse monsters from older games again in newer ones, so XX has nearly every monster that existed up to that point, whereas they have to essentially start over on World.

Quality > Quantity though, so if you were going to get one of the two, get World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

The idea of going back to any previous MH after World sounds unbearable to me.

People said that in other threads/sites as well, but many who did try going back said they were pleasently surprised by how non awful the transition was. The core gameplay is still Monster Hunter after all, and not ps2 era lovely hitboxes Monster Hunter either.

Can't knock you for not wanting to roll back but thinking of my own tolerances, I've never been one to struggle with playing older/outdated poo poo that is still good. Fpr example I can't stand most NES games due to how primitive games felt pretty snes but the "good" ones are still fun to revisit.

My issue now is that World comes out on PC a few god drat weeks before generations ultimate soooo that's gonna take some restraint. I want to play the switch one first

• Locked thread