Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i'm not blocking anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

never not block google

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sham bam bamina! posted:

also i've actually failed a couple of the "click every [thing]" ones so what analysis am i even doing that wasn't already finished

the way they did it for the old (good) recaptcha was they'd give you a word they were 100% confident of and a word they had no loving idea about. if you were an asshat, you could usually figure out what the known word was and type in something like "(word) shegjjvmzpff" and goog would go :thumbsup:

of course if you hosed up they'd give you two words they were sure of so you had to play along with it.

for something like this they probably have a bigger image and they give you a portion of it that includes correct parts and incorrect parts, and if you get the known ones right it assumes the other ones are good too.

the real annoying ones are the ones where you click an image and it's immediately replaced by another one, and you have to keep going until google has decided you've done enough unpaid labor to be human. something similar probably happens there, with giving you known-positive and known-negatives in the mix.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

watch this ad to reveal the code word

type Domino's to continue

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sham bam bamina! posted:

don't use VPN?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
don't use google. hth.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Fiedler posted:

don't use google. hth.
lots of non-google webpages use google captcha. what is your recommendation to get around that

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

don't use google's accomplices, either.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Agreed, most of you should stop using noted Google associate something awful

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

fishmech posted:

Agreed, most of you should stop using noted Google associate something awful

sa has a captcha?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
tried to install a ad blocking web broswer in iLand today, apparently their terms of service prohibit extensions so you're forced to use safari (firefox private doesn't work on my iThing it's too old) but it doesn't catch everything

mobile browsing is such a turd but at least on android firefox extensions work

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

sa has a captcha?

sa uses google ads and analytics

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bhodi posted:

tried to install a ad blocking web broswer in iLand today, apparently their terms of service prohibit extensions so you're forced to use safari (firefox private doesn't work on my iThing it's too old) but it doesn't catch everything

use safari content filters? worksforme

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bhodi posted:

but firefox literally has a browser called focus on ios that does this :confused:

The Management posted:

use safari content filters? worksforme

yeah, and it integrates them to the safari content filters too if youd like, if 1blocker x is too much or you dont want to spend for blocking. its really nice and works for any web view using the newer implementation

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Agile Vector posted:

but firefox literally has a browser called focus on ios that does this :confused:
A+ reading comprehension it can't install on older ios versions and that's all my "old" (it's only 4 years old) ipad can run

yea am using safari and it's ok but ya know i kinda liked having my bookmarks available cross platform, maybe i'll pick up a chromebwahaAHAHA no

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 14, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

bookmarks are available cross platform in safari for me between macOS and iOS, idk what you’re doing.

but just get a pihole or some poo poo, it would be the easiest way to deal with your problems for older devices

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Bhodi posted:

A+ reading comprehension it can't install on older ios versions and that's all my "old" (it's only 4 years old) ipad can run

yea am using safari and it's ok but ya know i kinda liked having my bookmarks available cross platform, maybe i'll pick up a chromebwahaAHAHA no

Firefox can sync bookmarks via iCloud so idk why you insist on holding it wrong

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

also sell you are problematic iPad and get one that has 64 bits so you can install an ad blocker

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
everyone should be paying the $10 adblocker bribe

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Bhodi posted:

just get a surface go to replace that ipad

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bhodi posted:

i mean your wording made it sound like you were talking about an old app not running on ios, which new versions of ios will complain about so c- writing clarity or whatever angry-at-apple venting we are doing here

Bhodi posted:

maybe i'll pick up a chromebwahaAHAHA no

okay now were on the same page!

is this the mini 1 that they kept selling? the models that released in 2014 are still supported i thought but those other were tailed off that year

if so, im gonna second the use of a pihole, or you can use icab mobile which has ad filters and should go back to ios 7, with firefox sync support

disclaimer; I havent used it to sync, just know it supported those features. the ad filtering will tax older hardware but it gives you options and with a pihole youll reduce network loading so itll speed up performance regardless of filters

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

to bring this back to google; my pihole is stopping so many analytics sites on a default galaxy s8 it is mind boggling the phone functions. i asked the person using it and they noticed no difference, but now a full fifth of all dns requests are to various android and samsung trackers

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Agile Vector posted:

but now a full fifth of all dns requests are to various android and samsung trackers
how much do dns requests contribute to slowness / load times etc? I was under the impression it was mostly javascript slowing things

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ShadowHawk posted:

how much do dns requests contribute to slowness / load times etc? I was under the impression it was mostly javascript slowing things

its not so much the requests, as it null routes the requests so the js etc never reaches the browser and the page (ideally, it is web development after all) degrades gracefully by skipping content like tracking scripts

edit: while setting my pihole up, i started paying attention more to dns requests and noticed some iot devices and i think even chrome will use their own preferred dns, going around dns servers pushed by a home router. rerouting all outpound port requests fixed that and solved why i was sometimes seeing devices ignoring my local dns server

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 15, 2018

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

jeffery posted:

everyone should be paying the $10 adblocker bribe

:confused:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

hobbesmaster posted:

stop blocking their cookies so you can give them a hint

The google captha algorithm is very sophisticated. Have a Google cookie? You're a human

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Zamujasa posted:

the real annoying ones are the ones where you click an image and it's immediately replaced by another one, and you have to keep going until google has decided you've done enough unpaid labor to be human. something similar probably happens there, with giving you known-positive and known-negatives in the mix.

gently caress i hate these. And the fadeout is so goddamn slow too. I usually tap a couple and then reload the captcha, often it gives me a less annoying one instead.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What angers me is that they don’t define their terms. Like: I can see that signpost has a small street sign on it, don’t loving jerk me around and tell me that’s wrong :google: you loving hacks. If you mean “boxes more than 50% filled by a street sign” then say that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wheany posted:

The google captha algorithm is very sophisticated. Have a Google cookie? You're a human

you have to have a cookie and check a box that says you’re not a robot!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
danke to all about pihole, never heard of it before.

fired up an aws instance and set it up and holy gently caress i'm at 25% of requests blocked

the internet is loving unusable without an adblocker

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the pihole is the product you get when people want to deploy a 100MB hosts file on every device they own but need to introduce an iot mitm attack target to do it for them

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

the pihole is the product you get when people want to deploy a 100MB hosts file on every device they own but need to introduce an iot mitm attack target to do it for them

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

😑

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

My Pixel phone has developed a strange curse. Now, no matter what usb-c charging device I plug into it, instead of the charging battery indicator showing up, the male usb-c plug gets extremely hot and a strong scent of burning metal and chemicals is noticeable.

This is 100% reproducible on several different chargers.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

fire phone

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mrmcd posted:

My Pixel phone has developed a strange curse. Now, no matter what usb-c charging device I plug into it, instead of the charging battery indicator showing up, the male usb-c plug gets extremely hot and a strong scent of burning metal and chemicals is noticeable.

This is 100% reproducible on several different chargers.
i'm confused, what's it supposed to do

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

just take it to the google store, op

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Krankenstyle posted:

just take it to the google store, op

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

just waiting to see Shaggars response over the $5bn European fine for Google :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I imagine its a gdpr thing which means its theft by euros of superior American companies which I oppose but I don't really care about google.

• Locked thread