Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I want a Yellow Alert button for "No bathroom or food breaks but don't go drowning yourself idiots".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

They said none of those things.

There is basically zero indication that they will add more actual content (such as the ability to modify schedules) this patch. For all we know they're saving that for a future upgrade patch.

So yeah, don't get your hopes up. My guess? This is another wet fart of a patch just like the germ update last summer.

The phrase "UI for the schedule" definitely implies that they are going to set it up to be modified. You don't need an interface for something you can't change.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I got this game during the recent sale and I have a question for all the people that are having heat issues - have you tried adding vacuum chambers for insulation? Lately, I've been segregating off all of my power/batteries with the generator ->OR Gate/Transformer->circuit system by adding sealed hallways that I pump down to vacuum between them and the rest of my base. It's been working really well so far but I'm pretty early on.

Is this just so basic everyone does it, or are there some other flaws/issues I should look out for in the future?

Also, what temperature do germs start dying?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Dude, they've always done this. Last time we got the fertilizer nerf nearly a week AFTER the test branch. Same with the food buffs. You can see in the upper left hand part of the screen a little clock that if you hover over it, says TO BE IMPLEMENTED.

Your doomsday poo poo is just that, poo poo. Klei is one of the most ethical and upstanding indie devs out there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Captain Monkey posted:

I got this game during the recent sale and I have a question for all the people that are having heat issues - have you tried adding vacuum chambers for insulation? Lately, I've been segregating off all of my power/batteries with the generator ->OR Gate/Transformer->circuit system by adding sealed hallways that I pump down to vacuum between them and the rest of my base. It's been working really well so far but I'm pretty early on.

Is this just so basic everyone does it, or are there some other flaws/issues I should look out for in the future?

Also, what temperature do germs start dying?
It's step one to segregate hot from temperate from cold. The trouble becomes they all have heat sources that need actively cooled one way or another so your crops don't die and your power generators don't melt.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zedprime posted:

It's step one to segregate hot from temperate from cold. The trouble becomes they all have heat sources that need actively cooled one way or another so your crops don't die and your power generators don't melt.

That makes sense. I skimmed through the thread to try to get some ideas and missed it being mentioned, so I wanted to see if there was a reason or if it was just really basic.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

Dude, they've always done this. Last time we got the fertilizer nerf nearly a week AFTER the test branch. Same with the food buffs. You can see in the upper left hand part of the screen a little clock that if you hover over it, says TO BE IMPLEMENTED.

Your doomsday poo poo is just that, poo poo. Klei is one of the most ethical and upstanding indie devs out there.

It's not doomsday, I'm simply saying this patch is very disappointing in terms of content. The game desperately needs late-midgame and end-game content, not changes to existing mechanics (i.e. decor, food quality expectations, etc.) that work OK for the most part. Klei is a good indie dev, but they don't have the best track record in terms of deciding what content to add when. That holds for all their games (DS, DST, etc.).

IMO expressive upgrade would have been better off as a "tidy up" update towards the end of EA, after the tech tree has been implemented. Or even left off completely and added later as an optional DLC. I dunno, there is so much actual cool poo poo they can add (chemical engineering, genetics, quantum mechanics/nanotechnology, or if they really want to copy RimWord, stuff like colony defense from monsters/aliens, natural disasters, etc.) that water coolers and arcade games seem a bit meh.

Then again maybe they have some sort of grand plan to bring it all together, or add a late-game element to dupe interactions/expressions. If so, I'll change my mind. Same with the germs content - if they make germs useful in industrial processes or add a way to engineer new germs or stuff like that, then I'll change my mind on that too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

enraged_camel posted:

It's not doomsday, I'm simply saying this patch is very disappointing in terms of content. The game desperately needs late-midgame and end-game content, not changes to existing mechanics (i.e. decor, food quality expectations, etc.) that work OK for the most part. Klei is a good indie dev, but they don't have the best track record in terms of deciding what content to add when. That holds for all their games (DS, DST, etc.).

IMO expressive upgrade would have been better off as a "tidy up" update towards the end of EA, after the tech tree has been implemented. Or even left off completely and added later as an optional DLC. I dunno, there is so much actual cool poo poo they can add (chemical engineering, genetics, quantum mechanics/nanotechnology, or if they really want to copy RimWord, stuff like colony defense from monsters/aliens, natural disasters, etc.) that water coolers and arcade games seem a bit meh.

Then again maybe they have some sort of grand plan to bring it all together, or add a late-game element to dupe interactions/expressions. If so, I'll change my mind. Same with the germs content - if they make germs useful in industrial processes or add a way to engineer new germs or stuff like that, then I'll change my mind on that too.
Counterpoint: A dupe got stuck between a snorer and a guy with a cold and when she woke up she didn't like ladders anymore.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I guess you weren't around for the transit tube update back in Fall '17? Talk about boring. They are committed to bringing a new update every six weeks, which is pretty ambitious. So in order to do that they also do weaksauce updates. This is one. But nearly every update after the transit tube update has been really good, so I have confidence there'll still be good updates coming later.

They have not even announced a beta date, not to mention a release date, so I'm assuming that major content updates are in the pipe.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This conversation is bringing out a difference between players. For me, the dupes and their characterizations are what keep this from being Factorio or another builder/engineering game. For other people, they're a distraction from the interesting engineering challenges.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This conversation is bringing out a difference between players. For me, the dupes and their characterizations are what keep this from being Factorio or another builder/engineering game. For other people, they're a distraction from the interesting engineering challenges.

Oh absolutely. If they add truly Rimworld style dupe interactions and issues, I'm totally out. But for others such as yourself, they might be a really good addition. Rimworld reminds me too much of real world drama and I'm not interested in that for my game. Factorio I'm very attracted to but do horrible with. ONI is *just right* :)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I was going to write this up earlier but figured it was a waste.

You don't add final tech trees and ui fixes until a game is essentially done or you risk new features requiring them to be reworked. Same with end game content. You'll get that last, so chill a bit. I'm glad they gave this stuff to us early and got it out for feedback in early stages, not doing that and waiting till it's perfect causes poo poo not to be released. That and also they put a lot of work into the dupe animations and charm. I really not surprised they wanted them to be a slightly more interesting game element than ants.

Maybe just take a break till it's launched if you're bored and have content expectations?

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 15, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Seriously, this thread is really weird for me right now because this is an update I've wanted forever. More personality for the dupes and schedules so they won't go run 5 miles, mine a single tile, then head back home to have a snack. The only thing I'd want more is to, for the love of God and all that is holy, make multiple repeating recipes functional.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

I was going to write this up earlier but figured it was a waste.

You don't add final tech trees and ui fixes until a game is essentially done or you risk new features requiring them to be reworked. Same with end game content. You'll get that last, so chill a bit. I'm glad they gave this stuff to us early and got it out for feedback in early stages, not doing that and waiting till it's perfect causes poo poo not to be released. That and also they put a lot of work into the dupe animations and charm. I really not surprised they wanted them to be a slightly more interesting game element than ants.

Maybe just take a break till it's launched if you're bored and have content expectations?

Actually, getting end-game content last doesn't make sense, because it being end-game content means it will be content that gets played the least, just because most players won't reach end-game. So it makes much more sense to add end-game content early on, so that by the time you are out of EA it has seen plenty of gameplay.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wrong.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

End game content relies on the content and progression building behind it. In games like this it usually means breaking through some tech/material barrier and those things should be solid before hand. I agree that you should test end game content quite a bit but, like you said, that's not the part most people are playing, and changing something that affects the build-up to end-game can cascade into a complicated end-game problem. Rimworld is a good example of how the early-designed end game goal has almost nothing to do with how people generally play the game. It's pretty reasonable to expect the end game goals to be tweaked even after launch because most people won't build into achieving it and the data won't be there until the launch population. The end game can become more complex and fulfilling if the systems that support the approach to it are solid. See Dwarf Fortress where your dwarves are just very moody ants and the end game is, essentially, avoiding Fun.

I get it though. Avoiding heat death is not a compelling motivator, but I'm willing to bet that building a spaceship to leave or something similar will be equally not interesting.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 16, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

:agreed: Factorio still doesn't have a true end game and it's been in development for nearly six years. The heart of the game though has gone through many iterations and once they can get the core game going, I'm sure they'll do a real end game. Same here. I have great confidence that there will eventually be an end game. Now whether or not anyone is actually interested in it will be a different and interesting question.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Factorio also has a full dev/design team working on it and updates much more frequently.

They also publish interesting blog articles talking about their decision/development process for new and upcoming features.

Klei though can’t even be bothered to give an updated roadmap.

It’s night and day basically.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Not everyone can be that awesome. Or make such a mechanically complex game. Take the valve/dota example. Telling people about your process and/or letting reddit/crowd sourcing drive your development doesn't necessarily bring benefits.

These guys seem very responsive and that's why they release things to test branches. It's not wrong to want features that don't exist yet, but it's bad to disparage a team that is trying to stay interested and continue to add unique content on a pretty rigorous timeline.

Basically stop playing till release if you're not willing to accept the incremental versions or provide useful feedback to the dev team. You'll burn out and be disappointed as opposed to normal disappointed. There are lots of games to play.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 16, 2018

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Factorio also has a full dev/design team working on it and updates much more frequently.

They also publish interesting blog articles talking about their decision/development process for new and upcoming features.

Klei though can’t even be bothered to give an updated roadmap.

It’s night and day basically.

Klei is a top five developer on Steam.

As mentioned perhaps you should just leave the game alone until it goes final. If you follow it on Steam you'll get a notice.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Because that's a real indicator of quality. Right up there with.. NEKO WORKs 5 part visual novel. Or Neko Climax Studio's greatest release, DEEP SPACE WAIFU.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Where do I get more metal?

What should I be working on once I have reached the point where I need to start breaking into slime?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What should I be working on once I have reached the point where I need to start breaking into slime?

There's tons of metal outside the initial area. You need to know how to take care of germs before getting into slime. Get into the other biomes with a water lock that looks like this

I don't play with germs on so you'll have to wait for other help for that.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sage Grimm posted:

Because that's a real indicator of quality. Right up there with.. NEKO WORKs 5 part visual novel. Or Neko Climax Studio's greatest release, DEEP SPACE WAIFU.

Exactly (and thanks, I needed that laugh).

Lorini posted:

There's tons of metal outside the initial area. You need to know how to take care of germs before getting into slime. Get into the other biomes with a water lock that looks like this

Slime isn't so bad so long as you're meticiously about washing whoever comes out of the slime area. Or just go into the caustic area and get iron/coal instead.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I went and took a screenshot of the area that goes from center to slime for you to look at. I should have removed the sinks since I have the exosuits now but this was the first time I ever used suits and had no real idea how they worked (or that you have to pump O2 into them). The 4 airlocks stop any gas exchange happening (I saw it being used in videos. It seems a bit cheaty but w/e, does what an actual airlock should do).

The deodorizers slowly get rid of PO2 (and the slimelung in it), most of my dupes have about 9k slimelung on board but their immune systems are coping so fine. I think the trick is not to dig too much in one go until you have suits, then go nuts.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

My experience is that those door airlocks aren't that great as airlocks, and now you have to power all of to not have your dupes slowed way down. The water locks don't have these issues. I've had chlorine come through those door locks and that's a pain in the butt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lorini posted:

How do you fill that structure with water?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Lorini posted:

My experience is that those door airlocks aren't that great as airlocks, and now you have to power all of to not have your dupes slowed way down. The water locks don't have these issues. I've had chlorine come through those door locks and that's a pain in the butt.

I deliberately left them unpowered because that's how I saw them used in the videos and zero gas has leaked through any of them. I'm not too bothered with the dupes waiting a bit to get in/out because it makes it easier to catch any skipping the sinks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's an exploit of game mechanics, specifically liquid physics. My advice is to avoid using them, and learn other ways of preventing gaseous contamination (such as using gas wells, and/or pressuring the "clean" side before breaching into a chlorine/hydrogen/natural gas cave).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

It's an exploit of game mechanics, specifically liquid physics. My advice is to avoid using them, and learn other ways of preventing gaseous contamination (such as using gas wells, and/or pressuring the "clean" side before breaching into a chlorine/hydrogen/natural gas cave).

Sorry it’s not an exploit. IRL, water blocks gases. In the game, water blocks gases. Where's the exploit??

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Build a bottle emptier and then deconstruct it once you've poured the liquid you need. If you really want to sort of beat the physics engine to within an inch of it's life, you can use tiny amounts of two liquids to make them 'stack' without needing to fill a square with water.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lorini posted:

Sorry it’s not an exploit. IRL, water blocks gases. In the game, water blocks gases. Where's the exploit??

Water doesn't stick to the ceiling like this IRL:

The water on the second block actually needs to flow off the sides, but you can "trick" ONI's physics engine to not have that happen. That's how those airlocks are built.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The second block on top with no walls abusing simplified surface tension.

efb

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Lorini posted:

The fact that surface tension will not support that weight of water, and even if it did solid objects moving through would water disrupt the surface tension (and carry some water away when they leave), and the fact water barriers completely ignore gas pressure so even like a morb farm spewing out polluted O2 at 100+ kg/tile has no effect on the Invincible Nonsensical Super Meniscus.

e:

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I hope there's a sort of forcefield equivalent of the waterlock at some point for people who feel that it's icky to say the least. It's still not realistic, but it would make sense as a high-tech gas management solution.

Or like an actual airlock that isolates/purges the atmosphere so there isn't any unwanted transfer?

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 16, 2018

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I hope there's a sort of forcefield equivalent of the waterlock at some point for people who feel that it's icky to say the least. It's still not realistic, but it would make sense as a high-tech gas management solution.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Seriously guys, just build a storage container outside your base airlock door, set it to store only slime, set the priority to 6 or 7 (so they’ll pick slime off the ground and put it in the box), disable disinfecting it to save time (and if you want build a deodorizer next to it) and you can basically forget about slimelung for 30 or 40 cycles, by which time you’ll probably have exosuits.

If things go slow in that interim period and the immunity number drops below 100, just refuse exit through the door for dupes with, say, 100,000 germs or more for a week.

Slimelung sounds way scarier than it actually is, I’ve found. Although I have read a few things that make it sound like it was more powerful in the past but was toned down.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yes, germs used to be a major pain in the rear end. Nowadays they are merely nuisances. Your slime storage method works well for slimelung to not be an issue ever. I did break into a heavily infested PO2 pocket once though (over 10 million slimelung germs per tile! Maybe a bug?) and the dupes got slimelung within literally 3 seconds of breathing it. I had to load an earlier save.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
There's a video example on youtube of someone deliberately getting PO2 to insane levels of infection. It's not a bug, rather intended to discourage leaving slime lying around. It doesn't take long at all for the gas to get stupid amounts of slimelung in it and any dupe taking a breath is going to regret it pretty fast.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

slime biome gives gold, hot biome gives iron. ice biome gives wolframite. the dirt/default biome gives copper. everyone plays the game so differently that in-game goals can be anything. i usually dig out a shaft from the main biome and expand my coal gens and refinement there. if a slime biome is closer then i use it. otherwise no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was reluctant to tackle the slime biome for a long time because of all the scary stuff I heard and elaborate setups I saw to not let even a single germ into your base, but it's really more of a labour-management exercise than anything really dangerous.

My main issue with germs is how much of a hassle it is to deal with germs in water. Gimme UV lights or chlorination.