Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Discord can help with that as well! (Use Discord.)

Pushed the button on ya.

Do I need to post in here for auth in discord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So, looks like as of today I will have the Zao, Khaba, and Grozovoi unlocked aside from my Des Moines and Moskva. Should I get any of them right now? i am still grinding for the Henri and Gearing.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Get Grozovoi if you like the Udaloi, it's a great and very versatile boat.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Zao is the only competitive ship amongst those three.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Preechr posted:

My favorite part of the Des Moines is how many idiot Minotaurs think they can fight you head-on. News flash, bad mino drivers- at 8km the Des Moines is impervious to your guns from the front and can citadel you through your nose. Smoke will not save you.
I JUST had a game exactly like that. Ended up rushing a Mino when his smoke ran out and chased him for about 60 seconds, just chunking him for 2-4k with my front guns while he almost completely unable to land hits on me from 8-10km. Bounce after bounce with the occasional random 700 hit.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

:catstare:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Lord Koth posted:

???

Uh, no you can't citadel it through the nose. Bad ones might be overangling just enough that your favorable bounce angles are getting through on a flat enough facing, but 203mm shells most certainly do not overmatch Minotaur's bow. And competent ones will cause at least some damage by shooting your superstructure. Not that equivalently skilled Des Moines captains won't win that damage race by a large margin basically every time, but it's generally not via AP unless the Mino captain is dumb.

edit: Alternatively, you're getting some sort of downward ricochet off its turret, which can occasionally happen in some situations. Not certain one way or the other about that one.

He was bow-on to me and I got 4 citadels on him as he closed. Maybe I penned his barbettes? Does that count as a citadel?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Preechr posted:

He was bow-on to me and I got 4 citadels on him as he closed. Maybe I penned his barbettes? Does that count as a citadel?

After running some tests in the training room, you can only citadel Minotaur starting from 20 degres.
The best way to do so is to aim from the frontplate trough the bow. At this angle you can pen the bow without issue and the citadel frontplate behind it is only 127mm.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Blindeye posted:

So, looks like as of today I will have the Zao, Khaba, and Grozovoi unlocked aside from my Des Moines and Moskva. Should I get any of them right now? i am still grinding for the Henri and Gearing.

Get the Khaba for fun and if you want an easy way to get the top destroyer avg dmg emblem. Zap is good, but I don’t use mine much now that I have the Hindy.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Victor Surge posted:

Get the Khaba for fun and if you want an easy way to get the top destroyer avg dmg emblem. Zap is good, but I don’t use mine much now that I have the Hindy.

I will get both, but the new Grozovoi intrigues me because I did very well in the Udaloi and Tashkent.

I do have 60 million credits...but I still have a Roon to buy as well.

I miss when they had sales more often.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Victor Surge posted:

I find the "Ugh no reason to play Hindy over Zao now" comments to be so odd. Torps that require you to be basically broadside to fire, 10k less HP, armor that works until it suddenly reaallllly doesn't, and guns with bad angles that turn at battleship speed. Between the low hp, slow turning guns, low rate of fire and awkward to use torpedos, its actually a really uncomfortable ship to brawl in. It rewards perfect play and punishes hard anything less. I'm not saying its a bad ship but I can't get how people shelve the Hindy for it.

cheese fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 14, 2018

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

cheese posted:

I find the "Ugh no reason to play Hindy over Zao now" comments to be so odd. Torps that require you to be basically broadside to fire, 10k less HP, armor that works until it suddenly reaallllly doesn't, and guns with bad angles that turn at battleship speed. Between the low hp, slow turning guns, low rate of fire and awkward to use torpedos, its actually a really uncomfortable ship to brawl in. It rewards perfect play and punishes hard anything less. I'm not saying its a bad ship but I can't get how people shelve the Hindy for it.

I mean, it does have the stealth and speed to play objectives, but that makes it ultimately a more nailbiting experience even if it can win games.

Edit: Bought the Zao, grinding in the Atago is still fun as ever.

Double Edit: The true OP Frenchie is still amazing.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 15, 2018

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

cheese posted:

Drunk posting.

Burt fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 15, 2018

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The Zao isn't a frontline ship, its a flanking ship. It can't brawl like ships with broadside torps can, and it can't stay permaspotted like other CAs due to the slow traverse and average armor limiting its engagement angles. It has to rely on its high concealment to dictate the fights.

But having that high concealment lets it engage closer, disengage easily, and flank very effectively. Long ranged torps capable of stealth torping only solidify its role as a flanker, making it VERY dangerous for enemies to try to run it down, often a weakness of ships built to flank but not given the speed to do so (see: early french CAs).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
frustrating day trying to finish the Halsey campaign. decided to drop back down into mid-tier.

nelson remains baebote.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Helping a clanmate grind out the Hakuryu legendary module is true suffering.

At least fishing divisions are funny.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

gently caress me but the Richelieu is awful.
Constantly up tiered to tier 10, terrible armour and the guns just simply can't do the job.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
You are going to love the Jean Bart!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Blinks77 posted:

gently caress me but the Richelieu is awful.
Constantly up tiered to tier 10, terrible armour and the guns just simply can't do the job.

Just unlocked it and I have the same opinion.
When they hit (which is rare) the guns have a tendancy to overpen everything.
I've almost been killed by a broadside Atlanta at 5km, 2 salvo in nothing but overpens.
On the other hand, having only 380mm guns must make it infuriating to hit a kiting HE spamming cruiser.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 15, 2018

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I'm grinding the Richie at the moment. Maybe i'm weird but i'm loving it, more so than the Lyon which was both hilarious when a cruiser decided to broadside you and then incredibly frustrating, just never clicked with me. Only 20 or so battles in but averaging just under 90k damage per game compared to the 60k i was doing in the Lyon.

The 380mm guns only really work perfectly between 9-16km's, you'll get odd pens on BB's at further ranges but mostly you'll want to take advantage of their penetrating power in that range sweet spot. You can't give any angle to BB's, nose in is all you can do otherwise you get shredded. Since 100% of your firepower is up front you want to be nose in anyway. The guns are too wonky to shoot past 20km so don't even bother with the range upgrade. The secondaries are nice and they do a good job of annoying everyone with fires but you need to give too much broadside to use them 1-on-1.

It feels a lot like a US BB, if that makes any sense. It's a good ship that suffers at the moment like everything at T8. 90% of battles you're stuck bottom tier because everyone on NA just plays T10. Against T9/T10 there are a bunch of BB's that can chunk through your nose.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

It just doesn't uptier well. At all. The problem isn't the opposing BB's who you can, generally, work around. It's the tier 9/10 cruisers. You're guns have serious problems penning them unless they're showing a truly silly amount of broadside while the ships lack of armour means they can HE spam you down with terribly great ease.

Vs it's own tier or lower it's pretty fun.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I am sort of half way grinding the Richelieu and I don’t have any complaints. She seems better than the Monarch, honestly... or at least more fun.

I find the engine boost still fucks with the aim of pubbies while doing the good old nose on reverse gameplay that is a highlight of the realism embodied by this bote game; however, overpens are a serious issue.

To fix that, sort of, I retrained the captain and took expert loader. That way, it is a little bit easier to switch to HE. Not optimal I suppose as I would rather be doing AP shell damage to cruisers, but hitting with HE beats overpen damage.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Preechr posted:

My favorite part of the Des Moines is how many idiot Minotaurs think they can fight you head-on. News flash, bad mino drivers- at 8km the Des Moines is impervious to your guns from the front and can citadel you through your nose. Smoke will not save you.

The counterpoint to that is that if the Mino has the presence of mind to not panic in front of a DM, it is just as able to win that fight by charging it, beating the turret rotation and torpedoing the DM.

It's a lovely situation, but it's not an automatic loss for the Mino. Source: Me winning that exact sort of fight in a Mino at least a dozen times now.

Also I have never been citadelled by a DM while bow-on in the Mino.

Catpants McStabby
Jul 10, 2001

seriously, :wtc:
Level 18 captain in my atlanta, but only phoenix unlocked? I'm boting wrong, somewhere.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Hooray, lucked out and got a Cleveland mission from a daily box!

Now I can finally do some operations :v:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Heartcatch posted:

Zao is the only competitive ship amongst those three.

My 5-1 khaba clan wars winrate disagrees :colbert:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Pacra posted:

My 5-1 khaba clan wars winrate disagrees :colbert:

:confused:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Looks like the servers poo poo themselves.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there a finer thing in this game than landing a full BB broadside at max range on the first cruiser spotted in the match, scoring multiple citadels which result in an immediate kill?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Is there a finer thing in this game than landing a full BB broadside at max range on the first cruiser spotted in the match, scoring multiple citadels which result in an immediate kill?

It's certainly up there with ramming someone or blind-fire nuking something in smoke, that's for sure.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

Doing this to a carrier

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So, the Warspite is 50% off today as part of the summer sale. Is the bote any good at all? For 12 euros I think she's worth a punt.

Also, historically, would there be any chance of us seeing discounts for tech tree ships? I have a bunch of doubloons burning a hole in my pocket and before I buy an Atlanta or something I'm wondering if I should wait for a possible sale.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

So, the Warspite is 50% off today as part of the summer sale. Is the bote any good at all? For 12 euros I think she's worth a punt.

Also, historically, would there be any chance of us seeing discounts for tech tree ships? I have a bunch of doubloons burning a hole in my pocket and before I buy an Atlanta or something I'm wondering if I should wait for a possible sale.

Fantastic accuracy and her guns pen well compared to other RN ships. Excellent stealth, can overmatch tier 6 BBs. It takes a lot of HE damage/random pens but it has a good heal to compensate.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Question: is taking IFHE for a Massachusetts captain really worth it?

Edit

Late to the party, but this ship is too fun. I will never play my Alabama again. Hell I don’t even want to play my Missouri anymore.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 16, 2018

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

ZombieLenin posted:

Question: is taking IFHE for a Massachusetts captain really worth it?

Ya, you have two Atlanta's strapped to you for secondaries, and for Atlanta, IFHE is a "do you want to deal damage?" checkbox.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Depending on how much you want to economise captains, you could even use a CL line captain on the chewy.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Darkrenown posted:

Depending on how much you want to economise captains, you could even use a CL line captain on the chewy.

I've heard this from a couple of streamers, that USN CL captains do just fine on the Mass

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Blindeye posted:

Fantastic accuracy and her guns pen well compared to other RN ships. Excellent stealth, can overmatch tier 6 BBs. It takes a lot of HE damage/random pens but it has a good heal to compensate.

It also has great maneuverability for those sick torpedo beat montages. :corsair:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sperglord Actual posted:

It also has great maneuverability for those sick torpedo beat montages. :corsair:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qam76wlzOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
So I spent the last 3 days turbo grinding the Gearing legendary upgrade for the 5.6 concealment, mostly for CW...

brutal