Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

So it's the next day and a few beers later after finishing this loving National Guard CPX that has wasted my weekend.

Complete poo poo show. The "maps" they gave us were just power points with a map pasted in using the snipping tool so none of the grid lines or northings and eastings were discernible. Their orders would reference phase lines, check points and objectives that aren't in any of their published graphics. Orders were published without any of their attachments.

The MTOE for the simulator was also really weird. One recon variant and 4 infantry variants per stryker scout platoon? What?

All around complete waste of time and high quality Army experience.

I saw a pao I recognized at the event as well, and he also said it was a giant loving goat rope. I wished him good luck, then went home because it was almost 3 on a Friday :c00lbutt:

Being out rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Did you see the lifetime jessica lynch movie about it? It came out while I was still in Iraq and I haven't been able to ever find it since.

I did but it’s very much scrubbed last I checked. It was mega hosed/racist.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

2024: S3 MAJ Mustang considers challenging the CO to a death match for this position

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

I did but it’s very much scrubbed last I checked. It was mega hosed/racist.

How so? I was just super impressed it wasn't lynch dual wielding m60's and taking on an iraqi brigade.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

How so? I was just super impressed it wasn't lynch dual wielding m60's and taking on an iraqi brigade.

The doctor collaborators with the rescue team were portrayed as several shades lighter than the real people/avg Iraqis.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nvm

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 16, 2018

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

mlmp08 posted:

Helpfully, Marines at the road crossing checkpoint where the 507th Maintenance CO took a wrong turn thought it odd that a bunch of thin-skinned Army maintainer vehicles were driving into the area the Marines were planning to seize in force with LAVs and poo poo, but hey, none of my business, you do you, Army.

Look man, after the first dozen or so times we sent army convoys back into army space because they didn't know how the gently caress to turn left at the most clearly marked intersection in Iraq and the asschewing they got for holding up our advance we figured they had learned.

We were wrong. At least we didn't shoot the guys coming in to do a relief in place for not following instructions and trying to run my guys over. Because someone sharp eyed saw it was Americans, and not a stolen humvee. Had them lined up and everything too...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Complacency is a killer :v:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's interesting how a LTC will disregard the input from any officer subordinate to him but suddenly become slightly receptive to an NCO that has the same complaints. In that he doesnt respond with a direct "you're wrong".

Still no change to the fact that he's completely detached from the reality on the ground in his BN.

But hey, he has almost 20 years in the Army, he's done all of our jobs before. Who are we to question his judgement?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
It's interesting that you think any of this stuff is a revelation to anyone that's been in more than a day, lol

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I don't but I'm dealing with it now and just venting about it here because this dude just consistently makes life harder for everyone

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
It's all good dude :glomp: vent away

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
we feed on your suffering

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I honestly can't imagine why that dum dum with years of experience would rather listen to another dum dum with years of experience when they have me, a lieutenant, to listen to.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm not talking about me, it's company commanders and the 2 MAJs.

The complaints between his officers and NCOs are more or less identical. Both enlisted and officers want out of his BN.

The only thing I trust him to do is make our lives miserable because it's what he does best.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Vasudus posted:

we feed on your suffering
\

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mustang posted:

I'm not talking about me, it's company commanders and the 2 MAJs.

The complaints between his officers and NCOs are more or less identical. Both enlisted and officers want out of his BN.

The only thing I trust him to do is make our lives miserable because it's what he does best.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm essentially a one man S4 shop with several major logistically heavy training events coming up, a completely hosed CSDP throughout the BN, failing supply rooms that need training, a streamlined procurement process needs to be developed, fixing our records keeping due to missing records during audits, keeping on top of our FLIPLs so BDE and division stays off our backs. Plus a ton of other poo poo.

Our LTC has a huge, raging boner for weekly LPDs and reoccurring meetings that go well over the allotted time. Only one out of the 5 meetings I'm forced to go to are actually relevant to my job, the other 4 I'm only there because I'm forced to in case there's any questions I can answer. 99% of the time there aren't any for me and if there are it's minor and can be answered through emails or texts.

Doing my job is objectively a better use of my time then wasting literally an entire days work each week in mandatory meetings.

So his 20 years in the Army doesnt seem to be particularly useful or beneficial for the BN.

And what's the point of having subordinate leaders if you ignore their input? The man himself harps about mission command all the time despite being a huge micro manager. Like he says he's done all of our jobs before so let's just get rid of all of us and he can run the BN himself.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mustang posted:

And what's the point of having subordinate leaders if you ignore their input?

To have someone you can throw under the bus. Duh.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Have you considered taking one for the team and killing him before his malicious incompetence gets some innocent idiot killed?

Its somehow gonna be you. When some exhausted maintainer who hasn't slept in a week misses a critical repair and brakes fail/in bore explosion/out of battery fire happens.

The life you save may be your own.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
There’s an art to filling out command climate surveys. People often say they’re stressed or write little personal gripes or mention micromanagement or wasted time.

But having seen what happens when a hundred plus people just write “I lack faith in the commander and would not fight for him. He is a bad leader,” there are better and more efficient ways to get attention when warranted.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

mlmp08 posted:

There’s an art to filling out command climate surveys. People often say they’re stressed or write little personal gripes or mention micromanagement or wasted time.

But having seen what happens when a hundred plus people just write “I lack faith in the commander and would not fight for him. He is a bad leader,” there are better and more efficient ways to get attention when warranted.

did you get promoted to brigade after that happened (To you, you're the commander)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hahahah

I think spacetoaster is still the old man around here.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah our last one was basically people with various gripes. The CSM had a BN formation and went line by line of what people complained about and why they were wrong for having those complaints.

If a PLT fucks up it's on the PL. If a company fucks up it's on that commander. If the BN fails at something it's someone in the BNs fault, definitely not the BN Commander or CSMs.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
you gotta write poo poo like "is a threat to mission readiness"

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I had a Company Commander get the whole “would never serve with him in combat” line. He just got picked up for LTC.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

Hahahah

I think spacetoaster is still the old man around here.

I'm still cool! I'm still cool! *I shout as I shrink into an XO*

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

Yeah our last one was basically people with various gripes. The CSM had a BN formation and went line by line of what people complained about and why they were wrong for having those complaints.

If a PLT fucks up it's on the PL. If a company fucks up it's on that commander. If the BN fails at something it's someone in the BNs fault, definitely not the BN Commander or CSMs.

You’re going to be that person because once you get high enough in rank you’ll turn your attention from complaining about those above you to complaining about those below you, even though there’s essentially no difference between you and them.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Hey, Mustang, I've worked under people like that before. They make friendly fire happen. If you're not willing to kill him in his sleep before he somehow gets at least a platoon whacked, make it obvious to higher that he's an embarrassment to the country.

Surveys are one way, leaving a camera running and posting their childish tantrums is another, or just get the ball bat out of your trunk and jack him upside the head so hard he'll never walk straight again.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
my man steez on some next level poo poo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mustang posted:

And what's the point of having subordinate leaders if you ignore their input?

what's the point of getting that weight on your collar if you can't use it to poo poo on people

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Watching mustang get poo poo on constantly because he wanted everyone to think he was good at his job is sad and funny at the same time

You were warned my friend; now you must suffer 5 posts of Army for every 1 post you made saying how different your experience was than everyone else’s and you don’t understand why people get out.

At least until you put on captain out of cowardice.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
somebody needs to do the Seymour Skinner thing but he's wearing acus

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
except replace kids or whatever with enlisted

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Signing up for CCC is a quick way to PCS!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Oh please tell this story

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Steezo posted:

Hey, Mustang, I've worked under people like that before. They make friendly fire happen. If you're not willing to kill him in his sleep before he somehow gets at least a platoon whacked, make it obvious to higher that he's an embarrassment to the country.

Surveys are one way, leaving a camera running and posting their childish tantrums is another, or just get the ball bat out of your trunk and jack him upside the head so hard he'll never walk straight again.

mods changed my name posted:

my man steez on some next level poo poo

shoulda got a degree in forensics so you coulda learned how to get away with murder as you work your way up the ranks to general of the armies, totallynotgonnabealifer forums poster Mustang

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

EBB posted:

Oh please tell this story

I saw similar things play out at least three times, twice with BN commanders and once with a company commander. I've heard a ton of similar stories from other units, but won't repeat "heard it through the grapevine" poo poo, because... well, Army story reliability.

One of the BN commanders I didn't serve with while he was in command, but I'd worked under him as a staff O and he was around when I was a PL when he was a Major. He was just generally a super-demanding guy who would physically threaten people and could sometimes be seen running after someone screaming at them while they just left the area. I never got on his bad side, but god help you if he just decided he didn't like you. He was very smart and "got poo poo done," but only a handful of loyalists liked him, while everyone else awaited his departure. Apparently he got either a command select slot or alternate slot, but ended up in battalion command. He was almost immediately relieved of command because a command climate survey had those comments and when higher looked into it, a significant amount of the commanders and senior staff said they'd been some of the people trying to get him fired. He also achieved one of the most ridiculous abuses of TDY I've ever seen that somehow didn't end up with anyone in legal trouble.

Another was a BN commander I served under who appeared to hate the branch he was assigned, and was hostile to the unit he took over, openly disparaging its abilities from day one. Again, highly intelligent, very good at talking with outsiders and higher-ups, often had a fantastic understanding of things, but just nigh impossible to work for. He made a few mistakes that got him crushed by subordinates via command climate stuff, IG complaints, plus got elevated to the CG through clever soldiers/spouses. Since EVERYTHING was a priority, we'd often be working from 0500 til past dark or even end up staying at work overnight unexpectedly. I routinely had to pay out of pocket to buy meal-card holding soldiers food because we were surprise told we weren't going home or returning to garrison yet, and so of course S4 couldn't have ensured we had food or facilities for overnight stays. Dozens of soldiers wrote words to the effect of "This battalion commander signs training schedules that say I will get to eat food in garrison, but he's a liar and my NCOs and Officers keep having to buy and then smuggle me food out in the field. My wife thinks I'm lying to her. He told us we can see our families again when we can do our jobs." He also got caught violating a GO's orders about work hours for soldiers.

That guy wasn't actually relieved, (just an enthusiastic BN CDR without proper experience yet, durrrrr) but got threatened with it hard enough that he suddenly became the number one advocate for ensuring soldiers got home on time and got their legal fuckin' entitlements of FOOD. He was still a massive pain for staff officers and commanders, but at least we all didn't have to deal with lower-enlisted soldiers just getting loving crushed by his ridiculous training expectations. He did not get to command a brigade.

The company commander was already about 3 months from changing out when the whole unit basically mutinied and called up the BN CDR and told the BN CDR that the company commander was a nutter who was constantly preaching religion, freaked out over the weirdest thing, used the TMP like his personal car, was creepy around women, had impossible to follow orders, etc. There was no replacement available, so he wasn't instantly relieved, but he basically got put on a six-inch leash by the BN CDR and received an OER that ensured he was forcibly separated from service. They were right, though, that dude was a mega weird guy.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:stare:

drat, the system works sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I can't wait to see that Finnish expat dude, Val whatever, fall into this same rabbit hole.