Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Milky Moor posted:

I wonder if they did some kind of analysis that indicated that people only have a few characters.

this is extremely far from the truth, speaking from personal experience and looking at the character rosters of several other long-time players.

The CO dev team is pretty well-tapped into what players like/want. This change seems very much like something forced upon them by PWE rather than a dev team decision, and I get the suspicion that they will likely figure out something that works better than the suggested changes. Especially considering everyone is up in flames about this.

edit

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I remember when I last tried playing this I was working on a craftable travel power, the morph ball one specifically. Is that still around and if so, less of a baleful grind?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I think that one is available for questionite, like 300k if I remember correctly.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I found that one, thanks--gave me enough of a clue to then poke around and found in the powerhouse that the R.A.D. Sphere was a "legacy crafting" thing; I guess it's off the table, we'll see if I end up saving enough questionite to morphball. Crafting though, wow, seriously overhauled, huh? I got a quest to teach me about it, and it wants me to put the mod in the upgrade but I don't have any upgrades I can do that with. I'm sure one will turn up eventually.

I had a mission called "Top Men" and it was directing me to speak to Mentiac in the Unity HQ, but the quest helper sent me to an empty blimp. Tried dropping it but can't seem to find where it came from in the first place. Whoops.

Still, fun acrobatting all over the place again. I'd thought I'd hit the level cap all those years ago, but I guess I petered out at 38.

Oh, and just to double check--silver characters can't be turned into gold/freeform, right?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I just read the description of the retrain token and it says it can convert ATs to freeform slots if you're subscribed :shrug: I think the exception is if you buy a freeform slot, that is definitely its own thing.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Yeah, I think you can convert Silvers to Freeform (if subscribed) but can't convert them to use a Freeform slot if you've bought one separately.

JackFlash
Jul 19, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

I had a mission called "Top Men" and it was directing me to speak to Mentiac in the Unity HQ, but the quest helper sent me to an empty blimp. Tried dropping it but can't seem to find where it came from in the first place. Whoops.

UNITY HQ is the same place as UNTIL HQ now.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

That’s what google said but I didn’t see any Unity dudes in there.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Just to make sure you're looking at the right place:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Huh, only the “enter Until HQ” option pops up when I go to that door.

I mean, it’s moot now anyways, can’t figure out where “Top Men” came from when I originally picked it up over five years ago. I’m probably just going to head back to Vibora Bay and worry about other poo poo once I actually hit 40.

Thanks a bunch for the screenshots FF.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ok, if you go to that door and turn around 180 degrees there is a dude standing on your right that offers a mission, which gives you a keycard (which I think is itself a mission object, double click it if it has a ! marker on it) and unlocks that door. You should also have an ingame email for that character with a card that is similar.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I’d checked mail and I guess it expired. Thanks for the help!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

After the subscription debacle they've apparently gone and changed how character slots work. The good news is that slots of both types are a lot cheaper (a freeform is 3000 zen now for example). The downside is that gold players only get a single character slot ever for hitting 40 and there's a cap of 100 character slots, though crazy people that already had more have them grandfathered in.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It only took them 7 years to figure that out, nice.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So is this game even still going on? I just remembered I have a lifetime sub to this from ages ago when it came out and haven't played in years. Is this like STO where it's in grindy/lootbox/keep the lights on but don't do much until you have to mode?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

STO is actively and lovingly developed compared to CO. I mean the game's still fun, but it's basically the textbook example of an MMO in "maintenance mode", where the dev staff is minimal and new content is infrequent and usually a rejiggering of existing assets.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That's a pity, I've a got a CoH shaped hole that probably never will be filled.

Oh well, it costs literally nothing so at least there's that. Is it at least still fun to dick around flying about on a rainbow shooting fire at people?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

sexpig by night posted:

That's a pity, I've a got a CoH shaped hole that probably never will be filled.

Oh well, it costs literally nothing so at least there's that. Is it at least still fun to dick around flying about on a rainbow shooting fire at people?

Pretty much it scratches that itch for a superhero game which to be honest, more I think about it, why are there so few superhero games when they're cranking out superhero films like crazy?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

M_Sinistrari posted:

Pretty much it scratches that itch for a superhero game which to be honest, more I think about it, why are there so few superhero games when they're cranking out superhero films like crazy?
At bare minimum, the comparative effort of letting people dress up how they like and letting them fly anywhere and everywhere out the door.

Not simply from a gameplay standpoint, just MMO design being used to tiered identical armor and charging you for your mount license after slowly waddling everywhere :v: loving SPRINT toggle in CoH was stronger than an epic mount in WoW.

EDIT: Though that does remind me, Mid to late phase CoH was amazing to introduce people new to the concept of such a game. In CoV I'd hand people like 20,000 and point them to the Grandville jetpack vendor. "Yes, you can loving buy a jetpack RIGHT NOW. It has 2 hours of fuel. No, no. 2 hours USE time, it can last weeks if you want to."

Cheap and plentiful jetpacks should be loving mandatory for super hero games.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 25, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's a whole lot of phone games but companies don't seem to want to get into the Superhero MMO game in general. For publishers I don't think it's a really friendly genre to make a game for if you're not going with Marvel or DC, because both companies have a lot of money to spend on lawyers if they feel like your game steps on their intellectual property (or if they can just get away with crushing a weaker competitor).

Section Z posted:

At bare minimum, the comparative effort of letting people dress up how they like and letting them fly anywhere and everywhere out the door.

This is unbelievably hard to deliver, the way CoH and now Champions do. People have no idea how much work went into CO's costume poo poo and how well it came out, aside from the specific aesthetics problems the game has it's really an amazing masterpiece :shrug:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

There's a whole lot of phone games but companies don't seem to want to get into the Superhero MMO game in general. For publishers I don't think it's a really friendly genre to make a game for if you're not going with Marvel or DC, because both companies have a lot of money to spend on lawyers if they feel like your game steps on their intellectual property (or if they can just get away with crushing a weaker competitor).

This is unbelievably hard to deliver, the way CoH and now Champions do. People have no idea how much work went into CO's costume poo poo and how well it came out, aside from the specific aesthetics problems the game has it's really an amazing masterpiece :shrug:

I can believe that Horrible cyborg kermit the frog is harder to implement than five faces catgirl with a standard issue rookie outfit, but I can also agree that the raw scope of it is probably vastly underestimated by most.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's also, frankly, the matter that an MMO is a massive investment and years of development time and there hasn't actually been a really successful superhero MMO yet. CoH was probably the closest, but even at its height it was a fraction of something like WoW or FFXIV and even this wasn't enough to save it from getting the axe. Meanwhile ChampO was basically dead on arrival and has been on life support for eightish years, and DCUO... exists? It was never exactly a runaway hit, anyway. And while F2P MMOs have a lower barrier to entry, why spend all the effort developing one of those, especially in a genre that's both hard to work with and has a horrible failure rate, when you can do an non-MMO title with lootboxes or some mobile gacha game or whatever and make a lot more money more reliably with a smaller investment?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DCUO still gets constant updates though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol I have like 20k zenni, anything I should buy special or just grab whatever looks cool? With my lifer stuff I have a ton of poo poo unlocked already.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I keep getting cravings to play this in lieu of CoH/V being Dead Forever but when I do I just feel like I miss the old days when it was alive and thriving and freeform was the norm. Even then it just didn't have the sense of place and cohesiveness/snappiness that CoH/V had, despite me really enjoying it. I bounced straight off DCUO.

Man, the lack of non-branded (Yes I know Champions is a thing) hero games are a real bummer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

FYI, not only did they lower the price of freeform slots (3 for 6k Zen) they're also now doing a FF slot sale, which I honestly expected they never would do again.

quote:

But that's not all. When you buy Zen on Arc this weekend, you can get bonuses of up to 25%!

Make sure you take advantage of these sales, since they run for this week ONLY!

Freeform Sales Start: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 8:00 am PDT

Freeform Sales End: Thursday, July 12th, 2018 at 8:00 am PDT

Zen Sales Start: Thursday, July 5th, 2018 at 8:00 am PDT

Zen Sales End: Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 at 8:00 am PDT

e: 1 slot = 2400zen, 3 slots = 4800zen

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 4, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Between the slot sale and the currency bonus, I ended up getting 3 slots for 20 bucks :shepspends:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
might have to get back into this, I apparently have 36.6k Zen :v:

go lifetime sub

Now if only my Hellgate London lifetime paid off :(

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I"ve been playing this game off and on for a while and finally hit 40 on my first character. What should I be looking at to acquire endgame gear?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Danith posted:

might have to get back into this, I apparently have 36.6k Zen :v:

go lifetime sub

Now if only my Hellgate London lifetime paid off :(

Hellgate actually ended exactly when lifetime subs evened out. They probably did that on purpose to avoid anyone going after them.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
So what's the current state of the game if I want to play my old Freeform characters without turning them into Archetypes?

If there's no subscription, what are my options?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

So what's the current state of the game if I want to play my old Freeform characters without turning them into Archetypes?

If there's no subscription, what are my options?

They backpedaled on that change. They're still trying to figure out something. But for now, subscription model still exists.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Jabarto posted:

I"ve been playing this game off and on for a while and finally hit 40 on my first character. What should I be looking at to acquire endgame gear?

It's bought with silver and gold recognition, which you get most quickly from doing cosmic monster kills but you'll need a lot more silver rec so you'll be wanting to do a lot of the other content like Qliphothic War Zone, Nemesis Confrontation and whatever. There's a set that requires a ton of token drops from all the the Rampage alerts too. Look in the Champion Recognition vendor in the Recognition kiosk in MC.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Jabarto posted:

Flesh Forge posted:

It's bought with silver and gold recognition, which you get most quickly from doing cosmic monster kills but you'll need a lot more silver rec so you'll be wanting to do a lot of the other content like Qliphothic War Zone, Nemesis Confrontation and whatever. There's a set that requires a ton of token drops from all the the Rampage alerts too. Look in the Champion Recognition vendor in the Recognition kiosk in MC.

while you're working on that, it's worthwhile to farm the nemesis system to get heirloom gear. it's useful both immediately, and then to twink out your alts

Danith
May 20, 2006
Which archtype would be the best to pick for a really flashy dps dude?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pretty much all of the DPS ATs are all right, out of the free ones the most chill and straightforward is the Soldier.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Bluhman posted:

They backpedaled on that change. They're still trying to figure out something. But for now, subscription model still exists.

Well, that's a temporary relief. All of my chars are Freeform, and I have no intention of turning them into Archetypes, or paying out the rear end for all two dozen of them to stay as such.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

As a lifetime sub person, I bought a ten pack of the cheap extra slots, figuring I'd play around with some archetypes, and they ended up all being free form instead.

So that's a nice bonus for us lifetime people who don't know what to do with their extra zen...

Danith
May 20, 2006
Oh my god I forgot how many powers this has, and they've even added more! I have choice paralysis now. Anyone have any ideas what would be a good set or build for a blowup doll? Puch/kick would probably work but I kind of want to do ranged DPS

Pic of costume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Power Armor is funniest.

Otherwise blades with the dildo bat-est looking one you can find.