Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Zerilan posted:

Just finished all the chapter 1s. Are the subjob shrines easy to find? Also is there one of those level 15-20ish optional dungeons between like each path between two starting towns?

Sub job shrines aren't hidden at all, look for the icon with 4 pillars on your mini map radar.

Yeah there's an area between each town but some are harder than others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I used some dance in a boss fight and it said something "exp 100". I thought it gave me 100 exp and thought the skill was trash. Then I finished the fight.
Turns out it was a exp multiplier. By 100x. I went from level 36 to level 50.

aaaand I rely entirely on autosaves and it saved after the fight. Oops.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My current team is
Tressa
Cyrus
Therion
Primrose (I can be easily swayed to anyone on this spot though)

I'm really bad with deciding on subclasses. Any suggestions? I have Cyrus subclassed as a Cleric

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I just beat up an orphan caretaker and stole an orphaned girl's teddy bear

I'm the protagonist still, somehow

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lord Ephraim posted:

I used some dance in a boss fight and it said something "exp 100". I thought it gave me 100 exp and thought the skill was trash. Then I finished the fight.

Why is that a bad thing? :eyepop:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Why is that a bad thing? :eyepop:

I assume he wants to keep a semblance of balance and difficulty in the game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My current team is
Tressa
Cyrus
Therion
Primrose (I can be easily swayed to anyone on this spot though)

I'm really bad with deciding on subclasses. Any suggestions? I have Cyrus subclassed as a Cleric

Do you want to have each of the eight classes represented at all times or do you not care about that?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I just finished Cyrus' prologue and I was pleased by what a good character he is. That's 4 done and I just like everyone so far.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Well I found one of the extra subclass's shrines and got the answer to my earlier question...
The boss had 171k hp and got 2 actions per turn, and changed its weaknesses periodically. Maybe if I he only acted once per turn I could keep the magic reflect buff running non-stop on a party member or two and have the boss to suicide on me with their own magic but I doubt it. I imagine doing the fight before the low-mid 40s is going to be real tough without very specific setups and a lot of luck.

Finished Therion's chapter 2 and went to explore the desert for a bit. Made it to the southernmost desert town and then went in to the difficulty 50 dungeon nearby and was able to kill random encounters inside. With a team of Therion (29), Tressa (20), Cyrus (17), and Ophilia (14) because stuff was weak to ice/thunder (one's also weak to swords) and I have two scholars in my party with multihit spells. One of the enemies always spends their first turn using an atk buff, so any time I fought 3 of them I usually cleared the fight without taking damage. Picked up a viper dagger inside too (purple chest) and it's an absurd weapon with over 300atk that can sometimes poison. It's tempting to just grind in there for a bit because it's a minimum of 2.5k gold, 600 exp, and 150 jp per random encounter. Maybe once I clear all the chapter 2 quests I'll consider it, since only Therion's likely to be in the mid 30s. Everyone else (except H'aanit) is currently 24+ at least.

The main reason it was viable is likely due to my decision to run around and buy +ele atk gear off of NPCs I'd seen before which put Cyrus in the mid 700s for his ele attack. Before he hit level 20. Spending 3 BP and with no buffs/debuffs he was doing 7k+ damage to the boss in Therion's ch2 story. I recently found an inferno axe and it has a chance to lower the enemy's ele defense when hit. :black101: :science:
(it does kinda remove any threat most enemies would pose)

Lord Ephraim posted:

What the gently caress kind of insanity is this? :psypop:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

By the way, if you're ever trying to puzzle out weaknesses, they always show up in the same order. I'm not 100% sure on the order but I know some bits for sure:

Weapons are all before elements
Sword is the first weapon and axe, bow, staff are at the end (pretty sure in that order).
Fire is the first, I think it goes ice, lightning, wind from there but not sure about those three.
I haven't seen something with both dark and light yet but they're always on the end.

Anyway, I've managed to get through fights a bit easier once I started putting in the effort to puzzle it out.

I also ran to the next town after Alfyn's chapter 2 and oh my god there is so much to steal. I also almost feel like it would be cheating to buy some of the equipment here.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Other than Support skills, how can I increase magic damage? Is there a shop that sells Staves? Do Staves even increase damage?

Right now it feels like my Warrior has outscaled the rest of my teN in terms of damage, but everyone's gear is pretty lovely.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I chose Primrose and am really happy with her as a protagonist so far (chapter 2). Her story can get too dark for my tastes, but she's super encouraging to Tressa and Alfyn in party convos, and it's really cute to read.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fadam posted:

Other than Support skills, how can I increase magic damage? Is there a shop that sells Staves? Do Staves even increase damage?

Right now it feels like my Warrior has outscaled the rest of my teN in terms of damage, but everyone's gear is pretty lovely.

Weapons and armor with elemental attack

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

fadam posted:

Your spells benefit from whichever of your weapons grants the highest +Ele. Atk. There are stores you can buy staves from, and they're probably your best bet as far as +Ele. Atk goes, but sometimes other weapons have that stat too. Robes and circlets also often have +Ele. Atk (and defense), often at the cost of lower phys. defense. Since it's semi-relevant to mention here, healing spells scale off it +Ele. Def.

Spells can wreck just as hard as physical stuff with solid gear!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Just finished the chapter 1s and getting around to clearing out the 15-25 dungens before I go after the job shrines.

Does the critical and evasion stats also apply to magic, or just physical attacks?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

As far as I can tell, spells can neither miss nor crit, tho I'm not 100% sure on the latter

Caros
May 14, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

By the way, if you're ever trying to puzzle out weaknesses, they always show up in the same order. I'm not 100% sure on the order but I know some bits for sure:

Weapons are all before elements
Sword is the first weapon and axe, bow, staff are at the end (pretty sure in that order).
Fire is the first, I think it goes ice, lightning, wind from there but not sure about those three.
I haven't seen something with both dark and light yet but they're always on the end.

Anyway, I've managed to get through fights a bit easier once I started putting in the effort to puzzle it out.

I also ran to the next town after Alfyn's chapter 2 and oh my god there is so much to steal. I also almost feel like it would be cheating to buy some of the equipment here.

Sword, spear, dagger, axe, bow, staff, fire, ice, thunder, wind light, dark.

fadam posted:

There is an absurd (300 elemental damage) staff in goldstone (east side of the map) that you can steal if you don't mind being a bit cheaty.

Less cheaty, but equally as bullshit is grandport. I'll tag this though it isn't plot spoilers, just mechanics: There is a seven star challenge enemy in front of a door on the first screen of the city. He's relatively easy (apart from having a habit of poisoning). If you beat him (or I guess allure/guide him?) you can go inside and find a lady with a relatively low chance of inspect. It was 13% for me, if I recall correctly. If you successfully inspect her, you learn some neat lore and get thieve's tips.

At this point your gear and money problems are solved. My therion was level 25 (you have to run through a level 45 zone to get here, so it is a tad dicey) and he had 100% chance to steal on about 90% of the goods in a town absolutely filled with merchants. Even the majority of stuff that you don't get 100% on is a mere 80% chance instead. You can basically gear up all of your characters to chapter 3/4 gear in a single thieving spree, get a bunch of nuts for stat increases, and walk out with about 150,000+ with very little time or effort.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can't guide or allure NPCs that are blocking doors.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just went from level 11 to level 19 in a couple of turns thanks to Primrose's dance. She replaced an enemy with one of those cats, then got exp x 2 in the same dance and then proceeded to summon a monster that killed everyone.

I love this game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Looks like someone's already making Party Chat videos on Youtube. Got 5/8 of the Chapter 2 ones up so far, with the latest one going up 15 minutes ago.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

IcePhoenix posted:

Do you want to have each of the eight classes represented at all times or do you not care about that?

I'm fine with some repeats. Right now I have it set to be

Tressa - Apoc.
Cyrus - Cleric
Therion - Warrior
Primrose - Scholar

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

Looks like someone's already making Party Chat videos on Youtube. Got 5/8 of the Chapter 2 ones up so far, with the latest one going up 15 minutes ago.

Watch the cyrus vid.

The first 2 chats are with ophelia and primrose, and it is hilarious.

Cyrus really is harem protagonist sherlock holmes.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Perfect Octopus Turpentine

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Instant Grat posted:

Perfect Octopus Turpentine

Stop huffing paint

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Watch the cyrus vid.

The first 2 chats are with ophelia and primrose, and it is hilarious.

Cyrus really is harem protagonist sherlock holmes.

The most telling thing is that the headmaster immediately believes that he is in an illicit relationship with the princess, no questions asked.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Really basic Q here: So it's a game you play 8 times, once with each character, and that gives you different plot stuff? Is your starting character the one who determines whose plot it is? Does changing the leader, change this at all?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Nah you can pick up all the characters and see all of their chapters/stories, your starting character is just the one you're stuck with until you finish their story completely, as far as I've read/experienced they don't change anything at all

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Your starting character actually doesn't have that much bearing on the game as a whole. It determines where in the world you start off at and your chosen character is locked into your party until you finish their entire story. You can go recruit every other character and do all their storylines entirely. No need to replay the game to get all the meat and potatoes.

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I finished all eight Ch 1’s and not sure what to do next. Several party members are way under leveled. I headed to Therion’s Ch 2, which is level 22 (my strongest characters are roughly level 20 average) and the random fights nearby seem to be kicking my rear end.

What should I do? Just grind for levels on random mobs outside the town until I’m tougher?

Also, the side quests are kind of confusing. Do they ever yield anything besides monetary or item rewards?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Your can go find the job shrines. They aren't too far or hard to find, look for the icon with four pillars on your mini map radar; if you see that you know you're on the right map.

Also between each pair of starting towns you can find a little cave/dungeon/Area which are usually around threat level 15-20 and they're good to explore.

Doing either/both of those things, and heading towards the ch. 2 towns just to explore em, should get you to where you feel comfortable taking the next quests on.

Sidequests seem to mostly give a good chunk of change and sometimes an item that's good, but they're also charming as heck mostly. I'd recommend doing 'em!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm loving this game so far. I did Tressas chapter 2 and I just want the whole game to be about her and her adventures. :allears:

The combat has been really enjoyable. I've been doing chapter 2 bosses at the recommended levels and they give me a decent challenege. Going in all guns blazing is not a valid tactic in this game, I really like this. I also like that if i'm in a bad situation and I have a choice between healing my party up or going for a break, the break is usually the better option. This is also the first rpg in a long time where i've been tossing items out every few turns. The fact that some items can cause breaks certainly helps in making them useful.

I've found a few subjobs and now i'm debating taking a break to go find all of them or just picking them up as I come across them.

Currently "stuck" in H'aanits chapter 2 with the mandatory provoke at the beginning. I failed twice and now i'm out of useful pokemon. I guess i'll just head outside the town and try to catch some new ones.

My current party is Cyrus (MC), Ophilia, H'aanit and Tressa. Tressa is awesome but I looooove H'aanit in combat wow. Pokemans OP.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Norns posted:

Stop huffing paint

Parsnips Octagon Trebuchet

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
I subbed Warrior to H'aanit and I'm really coming around on her bow skills. There's a ton of damage on the table there, but you really have to spec for accuracy.

Thanks for letting us know about that thing with her chapter 2. I can't find a healing monster except for a mossy meep in her starter town, but if provoke keep being difficult like that, it might be worth a trek back.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PBnJamo posted:

I subbed Warrior to H'aanit and I'm really coming around on her bow skills. There's a ton of damage on the table there, but you really have to spec for accuracy.

Thanks for letting us know about that thing with her chapter 2. I can't find a healing monster except for a mossy meep in her starter town, but if provoke keep being difficult like that, it might be worth a trek back.

You can just use items in the provoke fights you know

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Thanks for mentioning that. Since it it starts In the summon monster screen, I didn't realize I had to press B to back out until now.

I feel foolish, but now those should be a good deal easier now.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Wait what? I feel like I would have tried that already. God drat it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So. How many of us are doing what I'm doing and using the low encounter and improved escape chance passives and raiding dungeons >20 levels higher than our current level?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I was fighting a boss and he was nearly dead but then primrose did her RNG dance and healed the boss for 30000hp :suicide:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I am loving this game. Took around 45 minutes to beat the Alfyn chap 2 boss but the fight was so intense the entire time I didn't really realize how long it was taking. I just wish there was more party banter; the scene between Alfyn and Therion after that fight was so good I want more of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just fought a boss that gave every party member every status effect and then I was just pressing through dialogue boxes until he had killed everyone, completely unable to actually do anything.

cool