Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It wouldn't surprise me if some poor bastard accidentally emailed out real clients while doing some testing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if some poor bastard accidentally emailed out real clients while doing some testing. :allears:

That's loving terrible, Amazon has proper separation of dev/qa/pre-prod/prod on every team I ever worked with. If that wasn't enough you could still conditionally enable and disable features for particular groups of users (you can narrow it down to a single user) in production with a service called weblab. Basically you can wrap any code block with the equivalent of an IFDEF based on the weblab and only those users go down that code path. It's an awesome tool and is meant to prevent poo poo like this from happening.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://github.com/etsy/feature

Etsy has a similar thing to allow them to do feature testing in production. It's sounds super cool, but I've never had occasion to use it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Feature flags are not a new or unique concept.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Feature toggles are a huge part of being able to do continuous delivery. Feature not done? Turn it off.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Returning to the Test Suite of Doom, I'm discovering that the only time a test will fail is if it trips the custom assert statements. Thrown exceptions won't cause a test to fail as long as it doesn't affect an assert.

Also, we're using Selenium, and the product is written with Dojo widgets, so that's...an experience.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
If you are Venmo friends with a Venmo developer you will regularly see them make transfers to other Venmo devs with notes like "trying something" and "hope this works" because they don't have a test network for that stuff.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
I've got a test suite at work that calls production, third-party services. Don't have the Facebook API key in your environment? Your tests are going to fail. Not on the VPN? Your tests are going to fail.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

raminasi posted:

If you are Venmo friends with a Venmo developer you will regularly see them make transfers to other Venmo devs with notes like "trying something" and "hope this works" because they don't have a test network for that stuff.

I didn't know what Venmo was, assumed it was some bullshit social network or something so I googled them and they're a business dealing with money apparently? You're dealing with people's money and you don't have a test environment, what the gently caress

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

KernelSlanders posted:

I've got a test suite at work that calls production, third-party services. Don't have the Facebook API key in your environment? Your tests are going to fail. Not on the VPN? Your tests are going to fail.

That's a good thing though? Just put them in a group called "integration tests" so you can skip them when you're not in a suitable environment.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
i am protected :c00lbert:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

:nsamad:

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I have a friend who used to work at a popular travel booking website. Apparently to test credit card processing code they sometimes had to charge their own personal credit cards and then get a refund issued.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

streetlamp posted:

im the --quiet and --verbose flags in the same command

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Hammerite posted:

I didn't know what Venmo was, assumed it was some bullshit social network or something so I googled them and they're a business dealing with money apparently? You're dealing with people's money and you don't have a test environment, what the gently caress

Oh, but it is a bullshit social network. Their original gimmick was "wouldn't it be cool if all your payments to friends were publicly shown to all your other friends?".

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Plorkyeran posted:

Oh, but it is a bullshit social network. Their original gimmick was "wouldn't it be cool if all your payments to friends were publicly shown to all your other friends?".

That was really part of the pitch?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
still better than bitcoin

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hardcoded holiday pauses :shepicide:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Eggnogium posted:

I have a friend who used to work at a popular travel booking website. Apparently to test credit card processing code they sometimes had to charge their own personal credit cards and then get a refund issued.
Same, when I used to work in e-commerce recommendation services. Had to place a few dozen orders on client sites, with comments reading "TEST ONLY PLEASE DO NOT CHARGE", plus a couple legit ones for rye whiskey and Xmas ornaments.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

streetlamp posted:

#To the NSA: YOU loving LOSE.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hammerite posted:

Venmo is a division of Braintree payments, which is itself a division of PayPal, since a series of purchases a few years back.

At this point the years of PayPal ownership have morphed it into being more of just a different interface to PayPal's payment systems (including PayPal making it available as a way to pay at physical stores that already accepted PayPal, like Home Depot) than its original functioning as a completely separate payment network. PayPal itself definitely has separate test and production networks, but who can say for the specific Venmo layer, which is slowly becoming deprecated.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Did you guys know you can solve the dining philosophers problem by just delaying the start of the dining?

Philosopher one dines with no start delay, his adjacent philosophers dine with some small initial delay, and the last two guys dine with a larger initial delay than the previous two.

:suicide:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
https://make.girls.moe

From this abomination of science, apparently.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/all-this-time-aliens-colonial-marines-stupid-ai-may-have-been-caused-by-a-single-typo/?__twitter_impression=true

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

quote:

We are releasing a new project — Crypko, in which you can get and trade AI generated anime characters on Ethereum blockchain. Click here to play Crypko Beta on Testnet for free.

:shrek:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

quote:

We all love anime characters and are tempted to create our custom ones. However, it takes tremendous
efforts to master the skill of drawing, after which we are first capable of designing our own characters.
To bridge this gap, the automatic generation of anime characters offers an opportunity to bring a
custom character into existence without professional skill.

ushering a new age of prosperity imo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

They look like just a fixed set of manually-drawn faces with unique wobble-smudge patterns.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Call me when they develop an algorithm to Jojo any picture.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
cant wait for the inevitable conclusion of this research

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pro-click. Some coder in a hurry misspelled Tether as "Teather" in Aliens: Colonial Marines and hosed the AI in the finished product. Always remember this in code reviews.

A more general rule of thumb that isn't obvious to a lot of people: You are the first reviewer of your code. Don't dump the diff on someone else if you aren't willing to look at it yourself.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 16, 2018

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
My guess is that it was spelled "teather" in the code base fairly late in the game's development until somebody realized and renamed it... and their IDE didn't detect this in the .ini file and so it stopped working.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Shouldn't this be more of a lesson that type checking is important and errors should spit out on sloppiness. I wouldn't really admonish people for a 1-letter typo, and I'm never gonna look for that in a code review.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

comedyblissoption posted:

Shouldn't this be more of a lesson that type checking is important and errors should spit out on sloppiness. I wouldn't really admonish people for a 1-letter typo, and I'm never gonna look for that in a code review.

or maybe don't fix typos in code/configuration files unless you know all the places where it's used. unfortunately typos are like a magnet for interference from the very kind of person you want to keep the gently caress away from your codebase the most, the well-meaning do-gooder who wants to contribute but doesn't actually know how to do anything useful.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Checking the init file keys against a registry of valid keys would have helped, but that assumes that the developers are coding the init file reader and have time to overengineer it, rather than using one off the shelf and paying attention to the user-visible functionality of their game

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 16, 2018

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
given that they're remapping Xeno to Pawn, my guess is that sometime in the last month of development, Xeno AI was cut and the designers told the QA people "yeah just ignore that the Xeno guys act like complete bumbling idiots because they're using the Pawn AI on stuff they weren't designed for" and if bugs were filed they were quickly KS'd.

it's pretty clear that throughout all of development, nobody gave any shits about Aliens: Colonial Marines

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

Checking the init file keys against a registry of valid keys would have helped, but that assumes that the developers are coding the init file reader and have time to overengineer it, rather than using one off the shelf and paying attention to the user-visible functionality of their game
I'm more lamenting that standard industry practice is to just use config files w/ no sanity checking whatsoever and so there's generally no standard off-the-shelf stuff. The article talking about the Aliens issue even said civ VI had a big launch problem w/ their AI b/c of a typo or whatever.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I started making my employees use the code spell checker extension in vs code and it's great. It checks anything over 3 letters and is smart enough to split camel, snake, and Pascal case. It catches a lot of general stuff in comments (a lot of them mine tbh) but I've also noticed it seems to be getting everyone to name things slightly better. I used to see PRs with stuff like image.alttext or user.fname but now they're like image.altText user.firstName. Since the spell checker doesn't like the first two. Minuscule and superfluous changes, of course, but more technically correct.

However the nice unexpected thing that has been really nice about it has been in poo poo like PHP where you have:

PHP code:
class SomeClass {
    $someProperty = '';

public function someFunction(string $x) {
        $this->somePropperty = $x;
    }
}
Gets caught when writing the code and not later when you get a run time warning about setting a previously undefined property. VS Code and PHPCS/MD don't seem the recognize these. I opened some older repos that predate any unit testing and found a couple other bugs that made it to production due to this issue.

Also I'd say it would do the same for js, but // @tscheck is pretty good about detecting these.

Suspicious Dish posted:

given that they're remapping Xeno to Pawn, my guess is that sometime in the last month of development, Xeno AI was cut and the designers told the QA people "yeah just ignore that the Xeno guys act like complete bumbling idiots because they're using the Pawn AI on stuff they weren't designed for" and if bugs were filed they were quickly KS'd.

it's pretty clear that throughout all of development, nobody gave any shits about Aliens: Colonial Marines

My understanding is that it was being outsourced, sent back to GB when they were unhappy with the quality the 3rd party studio was doing, then GB did what they could even though it wasn't supposed to be done in house. It was terrible shape but they ran out of time and launched anyway. Which is still GB's fault.

https://kotaku.com/5986694/from-dream-to-disaster-the-story-of-aliens-colonial-marines

itskage fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 16, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Every time I tried to set anything on my Prime Day order to delayed shipping, my Kindle lost its discount :wtc:

Wonder how much extra money Amazon is making from that bug, and weather it's more than they'll spend on customer service time issuing refunds

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah i was reading that aliens thing and I kept wondering what kind of crap coding environment are they in that doesn't check and flag their spelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

A more general rule of thumb that isn't obvious to a lot of people: You are the first reviewer of your code. Don't dump the diff on someone else if you aren't willing to look at it yourself.

Oh my god yes. I can't count the number of times I've reviewed code that had really obvious stuff left behind, like the dev's debug logging. IMO your workflow should be something like: write code/tests, run tests locally, export change to central repro, run tests on CI system (to make sure you didn't e.g. forget to include a new file), review change, tweak, rerun tests, submit pull request.