Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
What the hell is going on in this thread? Please don't kill yourself.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1018404860398628869

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/960329517263966208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Ardent Communist posted:

Why would you take your life when you can see things correctly, and thus can make attempts to correct things? The revolution needs your life, and, perhaps, even your death. Connect with other anti-capitalists, radicalise yourself and others, and make actions to limit capitalist power. If you don't care about your personal life, you can act in spectacularly effective ways.

Take out a bunch of credit cards, then max them buying starbucks and best buy gift cards. Then give said gift cards to the people who totally are against capitalism but need those sweet beats headphones while plotting the downfall of modernity on their macbooks while sipping lattes.

Better get itunes cards too.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

This thread is a modern horror show of what happens during late-stage capitalism, of course it's gonna take its toll on people.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
LOL at millennials freaking out that they can't all have medical care and decent homes while the top 1% hoard wealth. That's how the entire world has always operated. As bad as baby boomers are, millennials are just as bad for fetishizing 1950's middle class America and thinking that was some kind of normal and sustainable way of life that didn't require constant warfare and exploitation of severely impoverished people. Sorry about your student loan debts but you're still better off than 5 billion people in Asia, Africa and South and Central America.

Hopefully the generation or two after millennials will realize what medieval peasants always knew: sharecropping ain't so bad as long as you can gently caress and make fart jokes, and if you're lucky the king just might discard an apple core near your feet. Just because more things have been invented since the 1200's doesn't mean everybody just gets to have it, just like when Europeans found pepper it didn't mean every dirt farmer suddenly had a pepper grinder in their little hut. 200 years from now history books will reflect on mid-late 1900's America as an aberrant period of decadence fueled by racism and jingoism, followed by a return to normalcy. If they're lucky, literacy rates will also drop off enough that the working class won't have to hear about it.

But hey, if talking about taking down the man and ending capitalism gets your rocks off, enjoy it. History shows that any time a bad regime ends it was immediately replaced by a perfect and benevolent regime and never changed ever again. It's the last generation that has all the assholes, there won't be any more assholes after we get rid of those!

Dorothy Lynch
Jul 3, 2018
You sure spend a lot of words to say 'stop complaining about things' and nothing else

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comptroll The Forums posted:

LOL at millennials freaking out that they can't all have medical care and decent homes while the top 1% hoard wealth. That's how the entire world has always operated. As bad as baby boomers are, millennials are just as bad for fetishizing 1950's middle class America and thinking that was some kind of normal and sustainable way of life that didn't require constant warfare and exploitation of severely impoverished people. Sorry about your student loan debts but you're still better off than 5 billion people in Asia, Africa and South and Central America.

Hopefully the generation or two after millennials will realize what medieval peasants always knew: sharecropping ain't so bad as long as you can gently caress and make fart jokes, and if you're lucky the king just might discard an apple core near your feet. Just because more things have been invented since the 1200's doesn't mean everybody just gets to have it, just like when Europeans found pepper it didn't mean every dirt farmer suddenly had a pepper grinder in their little hut. 200 years from now history books will reflect on mid-late 1900's America as an aberrant period of decadence fueled by racism and jingoism, followed by a return to normalcy. If they're lucky, literacy rates will also drop off enough that the working class won't have to hear about it.

But hey, if talking about taking down the man and ending capitalism gets your rocks off, enjoy it. History shows that any time a bad regime ends it was immediately replaced by a perfect and benevolent regime and never changed ever again. It's the last generation that has all the assholes, there won't be any more assholes after we get rid of those!

Look at this royalist shitbird

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
"Late-stage" lol... What are they gonna call capitalism in 200 years when it's still the reigning world-system? Later-stage capitalism?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

shut up

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Beef Turret posted:

"Late-stage" lol... What are they gonna call capitalism in 200 years

lol this poo poo ain't got another century of gas in it

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

You're telling me not to do something and then give me more evidence that I should

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It's funny how those few decades when the welfare state was technically possible just so happened to be the same blink in history when the rich were actually afraid of consequences.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

nice meltdown

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

t:mad: hey those 48,000 bottles of water were hard for volunteers to carry

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When swap.avi came out I told people it was a searing indictment of capitalism and encouraged them to watch it.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beef Turret posted:

"Late-stage" lol... What are they gonna call capitalism in 200 years when it's still the reigning world-system? Later-stage capitalism?

lmao forever

Mtthnsly
Jan 19, 2009

Let's all get fucked up and make fun of internet weirdos! Including ourselves.
Tortured By Flan
Capitalism sucks because it's mostly a culture of "gently caress you I got mine". Other economic systems have issues too but a lot of that is because the controlling government was very corrupt. My point is only that it's a good idea to make sure literally everyone has access to clean water, decent food, and health care. I feel like that isn't a crazy thing to ask for. If the government/corporations want to keep making money they need healthy wrokers to do it. Wanna keep making money? Keep your employees healthy and happy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The thing is that billionaires don't think like normal people. You and I see money as a means to an end, to pay bills, buy groceries, and to purchase the things that make life bearable. Billionaires, however, see money as a means to exert power and influence over others, to change the world to fit their worldview. Monetary worth, they argue, is personal worth.

They're sociopaths. Their way of thinking is both inhuman and very human -- they see people as resources to increase their wealth, and thus their own value. They are parasites, accruing the fruits of the labor of "lesser" men and contributing nothing of their own. This is not rhetoric. This is not theory. This is reality. I guarantee that the sixteen-year-old making sandwiches at McDonalds is doing more work in a single shift than Elon Musk does in an entire week.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_pb6r8VNWk

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

I'm just fine as long as I get to head up a gulag where we correct your incorrect thought.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
At work I take big breaks and I always hide in the bathroom for at least 25 minutes a shift.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Where I work you are only allowed to take bathroom breaks during your your scheduled breaks or lunch break. Any other breaks are not paid for and if they go over an hour a week you're docked attendance points and may get a "coaching," meaning you basically have to explain precisely why you had so many tardies or unpaid breaks and if the answer is unsatisfactory you may be put on unpaid "punitive leave" and/or terminated.

Also, system issues count against you as well. Is your system hanging up? Did your connection reset? Counts toward your hour of unpaid breaks.

CAPITALISM!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

wubalubadubdub

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Nihilism is laziness and cowardice masquerading as an aloof intellectual.

The most pathetic byproduct of the internet.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sedisp posted:

Nihilism is laziness and cowardice masquerading as an aloof intellectual.

The most pathetic byproduct of the internet.

Hold on, it can also come from abject despair or unbridled optimism, because if nothing has meaning, we are free to add meaning to anything we wish. The kind of nihilism you're referring to is the same kind of laziness that breeds centrists. "Lol, both sides are bad, I am very smart for not caring, also how come I don't have health insurance anymore and why didn't I get my overtime pay"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What the gently caress is happening in this thread?

Screaming Idiot, one of the key traits of depression is not valuing yourself enough to feel like you deserve to receive help. You are clearly somebody in need and I hope you allow yourself the time and attention to get support. Yes, capitalism is a broken system that causes untold suffering across the world and depression and anxiety are healthy human reactions to the stresses it puts you under but all you can do is look after yourself and your own environment. Do not worry about anyone else's needs until you've taken care of your own first.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tetracube posted:

lmao forever

Make sure you click through on that one too and see that he was banned for sucking elon musk's dick

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Hold on, it can also come from abject despair or unbridled optimism, because if nothing has meaning, we are free to add meaning to anything we wish. The kind of nihilism you're referring to is the same kind of laziness that breeds centrists. "Lol, both sides are bad, I am very smart for not caring, also how come I don't have health insurance anymore and why didn't I get my overtime pay"

The hopelessness borne from depression isn't really what I'm referring to. I don't think you'd shurg your shoulders at other people's suffering whether or not you currently value your own life. At least when my depression is at it's most crippling I still hope for other people to succeed even if I just want to stop breathing.

Feeling nihilistic and being a proud nihilist are very different I feel.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mtthnsly posted:

I feel like that isn't a crazy thing to ask for. If the government/corporations want to keep making money they need healthy wrokers to do it. Wanna keep making money? Keep your employees healthy and happy.

I think that's a dangerous thing to rely on because it's only true if there's not a surplus of workers or if the entire system can't be mostly automated.

Calling it now that we're going to hit the point where we're literally a post-scarcity society but still have to fight amongst each other for the last scraps of work because the means of production is still controlled by the wealthy and they've all hosed off to their space station or w/e

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nurge has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Jul 16, 2018

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

So I've been mainlining this thread, a bunch of other politics threads, news websites, and vodka. I have come to the conclusion that the only sane thing to do in the coming years will be to eventually take my own life, and I need to put plans in motion so as to leave as little as possible for my friends and family to manage.

Can someone suggest a painless and inexpensive way out? Thanks in advance, fellas.

Political dissatisfaction does not excuse you from engaging with the world. You haven't been thrown to the wolves, despite the fact you seem to have a pathological need to feel that way. Humble yourself. Remember that we are all first and foremost fools. Love and forgive your neighbor.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

When I was 18 I convinced myself of the same thing, that the only logical course of action was to off myself instead of continuing to consume resources since obviously I'd never do anything useful with my life and everything was hosed anyway. A drug addiction, suicide attempt, rock bottom and therapy later and now I've managed to drag myself back up to the point where I'm helping others get through their depression, and can and do donate a significant portion of my time and income to helping other people. If I had been successful in offing myself back then I can tell you right now at least two people I know other than myself would, without a shadow of a doubt, be dead or dying right now.

Join the peace corps or another charity or something if you need meaning. Suck it up, you can do more alive than dead.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Or you could embrace nihilism. Nothing matters, and that's a good thing

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Colonel Cancer posted:

Or you could embrace nihilism. Nothing matters, and that's a good thing

This. People like to dump on nihilism a lot, but honestly not giving a poo poo is a good bootstrap to several different healthy worldviews. If you're so paralyzed by what a poo poo the world is that you can't function or want to kill yourself, guess what, you're never going to do any good at all. Stop caring so much and you can actually make a difference.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nurge posted:

This. People like to dump on nihilism a lot, but honestly not giving a poo poo is a good bootstrap to several different healthy worldviews. If you're so paralyzed by what a poo poo the world is that you can't function or want to kill yourself, guess what, you're never going to do any good at all. Stop caring so much and you can actually make a difference.

"Stop caring about anything so you can make a difference in the things you care about" seems like it's got a few problems

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nihilism owns sorry losers

if you use it as an excuse to roll over and die because nothing matters then you hosed up

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatta

:smug:

No permanent identity, no meaning, no problem!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Diminishing the importance of the external world only serves to protect your vanity i.e. the source of your suffering.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Well, this thread is depressing. And I only looked at the pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

"Stop caring about anything so you can make a difference in the things you care about" seems like it's got a few problems

Person A donates to charities and helps the people they can. They also follow the world news religiously and cry over every war and atrocity that happens somewhere they can't ever hope to anything about. They're causing themselves real and serious mental damage doing this.

Person B also donates to charities and helps the people they can. They don't give a gently caress about what happens in the world.

Both of these people have the exact same impact on the world, but person A is much more likely to have crippling depression.

And no, yelling on the internet has no impact on anything.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)